Business Consultant - CoBE - 13528
The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) within UW-Whitewater's College of Business and Economics seeks applications for a SBDC Business Consultant (legal title: Outreach Specialist). This is a part-time(50-75%) position.
APPOINTMENT TO THE POSITION:
Salary and appointment to this position are commensurate with experience. The appointment renews annually, contingent upon successful performance, continued funding, and determined need by the institution.
The Outreach Specialist will provide consulting services to business owners, managers, professionals and prospective entrepreneurs primarily in Rock, Walworth, Jefferson and Dodge counties.
The position will report directly to the SBDC Director located at the University of Wisconsin Whitewater. This position requires extensive contact with people outside of the University, including business owners, managers and professionals; elected officials; economic development organization leaders and staff; media; and the general public. Occasional travel within the state and occasional evenings are required. Providing or performing other related services or duties as needed will also be expected.
80% A. Small Business Consulting
20% B. Regional Service and Economic Development
- The Outreach Specialist provides no cost, one-on-one consulting services focused on helping small business clients grow existing firms, obtain financing and capital, improve their management and operational capabilities or start new firms.
- Work in a highly collaborative environment with the SBDC at University of Wisconsin Whitewater as an integral part of the team focusing on business development.
- Interview prospective SBDC clients to determine their primary needs and establish the services to be provided.
- Work with qualified small business owner/managers and prospective entrepreneurs on an ongoing basis to lead to business success and economic impact.
- Focus on assisting SBDC clients in the acquisition of appropriate financing, in developing financial projections and in ongoing financial management.
- Assist SBDC clients with business expansion, marketing and sales, operations, human resources and other business management areas.
- Assist SBDC clients wanting to start a new business in the areas of venture feasibility analysis, business plan writing, financial projections, obtaining financing and other business start-up issues.
- Travel within assigned territory to meet with business clients or SBDC community stakeholders at their place of business. Most client meetings will be in-person and can also occur via phone, e-mail and internet video.
- Use SBDC provided business analysis and strategy tools when appropriate. Training is provided.
- Utilize SBDC best practices when working with clients to ensure quality service.
- Be an excellent listener and have the ability to provide feedback and suggestions to clients in a timely, professional and organized manner.
- Work toward meeting established metrics set by the SBDC Director in conjunction with other Southeast Region SBDC offices at UW-Milwaukee, UW-Parkside and Waukesha County Center for Growth.
- Review client cases to ensure that initial and ongoing client needs, and quality standards have been addressed.
- Comply with all client record keeping and reporting requirements in a timely and thorough fashion.
- The Outreach Specialist works in concert with others stakeholders in the area with a focus on enhancing the development of successful businesses in assigned territory.
- Work closely with stakeholder partner agencies such as UW-Cooperative Extension county agents, business alliances, regional universities and technical colleges and local governments.
- Work with economic and community development organizations such as Chambers of Commerce, Main Street programs, downtown business groups, or others.
- Serve on local and regional committees and boards as appropriate and approved by your direct supervisor.
The qualified candidate will be highly customer service oriented, possessing effective oral and written communication skills to proactively work with business owners to identify challenges, opportunities, and help craft solutions.
She/he will have a proven track record of achieving results working with people across a number of outside organizations in a collaborative environment.
The qualified candidate will have experience and knowledge of business finances (preparing financial projections, interpreting and analyzing financial statements), marketing, sales, operations and management.
Demonstrated management or business unit level experience addressing complex business problems and/or business ownership experience is necessary, along with comfort writing and reviewing business and marketing plans.
The selected candidate must demonstrate the ability and means to meet the travel requirements.
A Bachelor’s degree in business or related field is required. (An official transcript will be required/requested after appointment to the position).Highly Desired Qualifications:
Preference will be given to candidates with small business consulting or economic development experience.
Public speaking, presentation and social media experience are desired.
Additional education beyond a Bachelor’s degree or specific certifications and related trainings are assets.SPECIAL NOTES:
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is a regional comprehensive university with an enrollment of more than 12,000 students. UW-Whitewater has reached record enrollment four of the last five years and offers 50 majors in four colleges. UW-Whitewater also offers 15 master's degree programs and recently added a Doctorate of Business Administration. UW-Whitewater students achieve excellence in the classroom and on the playing field. In the 2014-15 Academic Year, UW-Whitewater was the first university in NCAA history at any level to win national championships in football, basketball and baseball in a single year. The campus offers more than 200 student organizations and is a vital economic engine for southeastern Wisconsin. UW- Whitewater is situated on 400 acres of land and has an annual budget of more than $219 million. - See more at: http://www.uww.edu/news
UW-Whitewater is part of the 26-campus University of Wisconsin System. Located in a community of 14,622 residents near the scenic Kettle Moraine State Forest in southeastern Wisconsin, Whitewater is within convenient driving distance to the metropolitan areas of Milwaukee, Madison, and Chicago.
Qualified veterans with a 30% or more service-connected disability are eligible for non-competitive appointment to permanent positions in classified civil service under s. 230.275, WI Stats. Ask the Human Resources contact listed on any job announcement for information on how to apply under this provision. Current State of Wisconsin employees are not eligible for non-competitive appointment.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and all veterans.
Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(b) provides that applicants for positions may indicate in writing that his or her identity should be kept confidential. In response to a public records request, the University will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wisconsin Statute 19.36 (7)(a).
UW-Whitewater conducts criminal background checks as a contingency to employment. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment.
The University of Wisconsin - Whitewater requires that all employees be active participants in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
For UW-W Campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report, see http://www.uww.edu/asfr
. If you would like a paper copy of the report please contact the UW-Whitewater Police at 262-472-4660.TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION:Applications received by NOVEMBER 26, 2017 are ensured full consideration.
Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at 262-472-1024 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions regarding the position please contact:
Associate Admin Specialist
(262) email@example.comTO APPLY:
Only complete application packages will be considered. A complete application includes online submission of the following documents:
This Job ID is 13528.
- Cover letter that summarizes how your qualifications meet the expectations of this position
- Current resume
- Contact information for three professional work references, including minimally one person who has been your immediate supervisor and one person who has reported to you
Who are you?
A potential applicant who is NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System, click here: UW-Whitewater External Applicants
A current employee of the University of Wisconsin System, click here: UW-Whitewater Internal Applicants
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.Apply Online FAQs