Executive Director of USASBE (Outreach Program Manager III) - College of Business and Economics - 14768
The College of Business and Economics seeks an Executive Director of United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (USASBE) (Outreach Program Manager III).
The Executive Director serves as the chief executive for USASBE operations. The Executive Director personifies the mission of USASBE (an inclusive community advancing entrepreneurship education through bold teaching, scholarship, and practice), promotes continuity, and assists in the design of long-term strategy. The Executive Director's function is to guide, support, and implement the strategic goals and objectives of the organization. They work closely with the US Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (USASBE) President, the Dean of the College of Business and Economics, the USASBE Board, the UW-Whitewater / USASBE Steering Committee, the Associate Administrative Specialist, and other constituents. Working with these individuals enables the Board to fulfill its governance function and provides direction and leadership for the achievement of the organization's philosophy, mission, and strategy, as well as its annual goals and objectives. This is a full-time (40 hrs per week) salaried position. Evening/weekend hours and out-of-state travel is required.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater serves as the host institution for USASBE—the largest independent, professional, academic organization in the world dedicated to advancing the discipline of entrepreneurship. With over 1000 members from universities and colleges, for-profit businesses, nonprofit organizations, and the public sector, USASBE is a diverse mix of professionals that share a common commitment to fostering entrepreneurial attitudes and behaviors.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
RESPONSIBILITIES:30% Establish and Maintain a Central Office for the Organization (per the USASBE By-Laws)
- Demonstrated leadership, knowledge, and expertise in the areas of project management and organizational development.
- Basic understanding of budgeting and financial reporting.
- Fundraising and program development experience/success.
- Marketing and brand management experience.
- Organizational skills to manage multiple priorities at the same time and able to meet strict deadlines.
- Experience working with large quantities of varying and complex data.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Knowledge of proper business/technical writing techniques and standards.
- Experience in use of Microsoft word processing, spreadsheet, and database software programs (i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, and Publisher).
- Knowledge and experience with QuickBooks accounting system, or similar application.
- Ability to effectively train and lead employees.
- Knowledge of web/content management systems.
- Ability to develop good rapport and communication with administrators, faculty/staff, members, students, and other constituents.
- Proven experience working with a nonprofit Board of Directors.
- Experience with and demonstrated ability to work with a diverse population.
- Successful experience managing and supporting a major professional conference.
- Three years’ senior management/administrative and financial experience (preferred)
- Willingness and ability to be an active participant in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
- Ability to interact respectfully with people from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
30% Implement the Strategic Goals and Objectives of the Organization
- Maintain the official and legal records and documents of the Association including the Corporation Seal.
- Execute all contracts/agreements and other instruments approved by the Board of Directors and authorized as to terms and conditions by the Executive Committee.
- Maintain all membership records and a current and accurate membership roster.
- Perform such official duties as may be assigned by the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors.
15% With the President, Enable the Board to Fulfill its Governance Function
- Develop and maintains strategic alliances with like-minded organizations in support of entrepreneurship education.
- Facilitate strategic planning with the President, Executive Committee, Board, and the Strategic Planning Committee.
- Work with individual Board members to identify, coordinate, and implement actionable objectives related to strategic membership, development, operations, programming, and finance goals.
- Maintain continuity of the philosophy and mission of USASBE with its long-term strategies.
- Be a central organizing figure for the annual conference.
15% Give Direction and Leadership toward the Achievement of the Organization’s Philosophy, Mission, Strategy, and its Annual Goals and Objectives
- Provide and support Board operations and administration by advising and communicating with Board members, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions, and by interfacing between the Board and the staff.
- Keep and distribute minutes of Board of Directors’ meetings and all business meetings of USASBE.
- Distribute ballots, tabulate returns, and notify all officers of their elections.
- Sign, with the President, all contracts and other instruments when so authorized in accordance with the Constitution and By-laws of USASBE.
- Be the custodian of all membership records and maintain current and accurate membership roster.
- Ensure the timely processing of all inquiries and applications for membership and collect dues.
- Ensure fiscal integrity of USASBE, including the provision monthly and annual financial reporting to the Board and oversee annual audit activities accurately reflecting the financial condition of the organization.
- Maintain fiscal management, including strict budget oversight, that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Coordinate financial, tax, insurance, risk, and facilities management.
- Recommend/write the initial draft of the annual budget for Board approval and maintain prudent management of the organization's resources.
- Assess improvements in bookkeeping processes, with input from Senior Vice President, Finance, to ensure that timely and accurate financial statements are available to the Board.
- Continuously assesses improvements in tax return preparation processes, with input from Senior Vice President, Finance, to ensure that returns are filed accurately and on time.
- Be bonded in sufficient and adequate amount for the protection of USASBE.
5% Supervise the Associate Administrative Specialist and Student Staff
- Coordinate program, product, and service development and delivery. Oversee the design, marketing, promotion, delivery, and quality of programs, products, and services.
- Manage public relations. Assures that the organization and its mission, programs, products, and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders.
- Oversee fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach funders, submitting proposals, and administering fundraising records and documentation.
5% Engage In Professional Development/Apply Knowledge Gained To Performance of Key Duties
- Coordinate workload distribution to maximize staff skills and capabilities to meet daily and long-term needs of USASBE.
- Monitor work and provide regular feedback to ensure quality services and productivity.
- Participate in operations management, financial management/accounting, business, technology, and/or event planning training to meet annual professional development objectives.
- Study training manuals and other documentation to learn advanced skills used by this position, as well as relevant policies and procedures.
The College of Business and Economics is an AACSB-accredited College offering bachelors, master’s and doctoral degree programs both online and on-campus. CAMPUS INFORMATION:
) is the largest regional comprehensive university within the UW System and enjoys a reputation as a high quality residential campus located near the scenic Kettle Moraine State Forest in southeastern Wisconsin. UW-Whitewater is situated on 400 acres of land and has an annual budget of more than $219 million. UW-Whitewater is located in the community of Whitewater, which has 14,622 residents and is within convenient driving distance to the metropolitan areas of Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago. The university enrolls more than 12,000 students in more than 50 majors housed within four academic colleges. UW-Whitewater also offers 16 master’s degrees and a Doctorate in Business Administration. The university’s strategic plan can be found at: www.uww.edu/strategic-plan. It has a special mission within the UW System to serve students with disabilities and, as such, embraces the principles of universal design and is one of the most accessible campuses in the state. UW-Whitewater is a Division III NCAA university and member of WIAC (http://wiacsports.com
). The campus has over 200 student organizations and is a vital economic engine for southeastern Wisconsin.
UW-Whitewater is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse campus environment, building a diverse faculty and staff with expertise and interest in serving students with diverse needs, backgrounds, ethnicities, abilities and other distinct characteristics in respectful, sensitive and understanding ways. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and veterans. ORGANIZATIONAL INFORMATION:
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is part of the 26-campus University of Wisconsin System (https://www.wisconsin.edu
Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(b) provides that applicants may indicate in writing that their identity should be kept confidential. In response to a public records request, the University will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(a).
UW-Whitewater requires criminal background checks as a contingency to employment. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater requires that all employees be active participants in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
For UW-Whitewater Campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report, see http://www.uww.edu/asfr
. If you would like a paper copy of the report please contact the UW-Whitewater Police at 262-472-4660.
To learn more about UW-Whitewater's competitive benefits packages go to our: ALEX webpage, which is our interactive benefits decision support tool. SPECIAL NOTES:
UW-Whitewater embraces the teacher-scholar model. New faculty are provided with additional resources to ensure a strong start in their teaching and research activities. A first-year professional development program is also provided to all new faculty, including participation in ACUE’s Course in Effective Teaching Practices (http://acue.org
). UW-Whitewater embraces AAC&U’s LEAP principles (http://www.uww.edu/leap
) and emphasizes student, staff and faculty participation in High-Impact Practices (https://www.aacu.org/resources/high-impact-practices). The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (http://www.uww.edu/orsp
) provides support for faculty scholarly and creative activities as well as other opportunities to apply for reassigned time and/or other resources to support research activities. UW-Whitewater faculty and staff also have access to technology transfer and research resources provided by WiSys (https://www.wisys.org
). TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION:
Applications received by 10/14/2018 are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. The most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application on line due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at 262/472-1024 or email@example.com
For questions regarding the position please contact:
Office/Business Manager Program Assistant
firstname.lastname@example.org TO APPLY:
Only complete application packages will be considered. A complete application includes online submission of the following documents:
- CV or resume including all relevant professional experience
- A letter of application
- Names and contact information for at least three (3) professional references
- Unofficial transcripts of highest degree earned (official transcripts of all degrees will be required at time of hire
This Job ID is 14768
Who are you?
A potential applicant who is NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System, click here and type in the Job ID: UW-Whitewater External Applicants
A current employee of the University of Wisconsin System, click here and type in the Job ID: UW-Whitewater Internal Applicants
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.
Apply Online FAQs