IT Support Specialist - iCIT - EXTENDED DEADLINE - 15205
The Instructional, Communication, and Information Technology (ICIT) Department seeks an Associate IS Specialist (IT Support Specialist).
Reporting to the Helpdesk Manager, this position will lead the operation of the ICIT Help Desk and support customers in the use of university-supported technology. In this role, you will serve as a first point of contact for the organization's field users and provide level 1 technical support via phone, email, chat and walk-ins. This position also requires communicating and coordinating Help Desk efforts with the ICIT Tier 2 and Tier 3 teams, Colleges and departments of the University. Handling documentation processes, monitoring activity, and creating reports related to Help Desk activity and metrics. Supporting change and continuous improvement initiatives are key components of this position.
The successful candidate should have extensive experience with the daily Help Desk operations including proficiency with ITIL methodology, ticket management systems, and communication and productivity tools. The position requires a strong commitment to quality customer service, an ability to develop effective business processes, and a talent for productive support teams. The position requires the ability to work in complex situations without sacrificing quality of service. The position requires an effective communicator who can work closely with technology staff and managers in the division as well as convey information effectively to customers.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience troubleshooting customer issues.
- Experience with enterprise level ticket management systems.
RESPONSIBILITIES:75% A. Lead the ICIT Help Desk
- Experience with Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Experience monitoring performance of Help Desk Tier 1 staff.
- Knowledge and practical application of ITIL methodologies.
- Experience supporting and working with multiple and varied clients and end users.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Three years of experience managing a help desk.
- Experience in a higher education environment.
- Experience working in a multi-tiered support environment.
- Experience with campus AV technology support.
- Ability to develop and implement effective business processes.
- Willingness and ability to be an active participant in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
- Ability to interact respectfully with people from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
20% B. Participate in ICIT Initiatives
- Working with the Student Manager, oversee the daily operation of the Help Desk while meeting all campus support service objectives (SLOs).
- Provide technology support to faculty, staff, and students over the phone, via email, chat and in person.
- Responsible for monitoring proper ticket escalation within an ITSM system.
- Independently investigate and implement solutions to technical issues.
- Act as a facilitator on Help Desk Knowledgebase and service catalog changes.
- Working with the Student Manager, develop processes for first-level staff to resolve customer problems and questions.
- Provide ticket status information to second-level desktop staff and management.
- Report and escalate ticket problems based on criteria established for the work unit.
- Provide Help Desk metrics for informative decision-making.
- Help customers understand and adhere to campus technology policies and standards.
- Support and help development content for student employee training.
- Assist in organizing documents and managing the conversion of storing documents in digital form.
- Identify areas and patterns for Help Desk improvements and best practices.
5% C. Personal Skills and Professional Development
- Communicate customer concerns and needs to ICIT planning groups and serve as a customer advocate in planning processes.
- Participate in test groups for piloting new technologies and trouble-shooting problems.
- Participate in divisional projects and special assignments as designated.
- Influence the workplace in a positive manner and participate in effective team-building.
- Participate in professional development activities identified to enhance job skills.
) is the largest regional comprehensive university within the UW System and enjoys a reputation as a high quality residential campus located near the scenic Kettle Moraine State Forest in southeastern Wisconsin. UW-Whitewater is situated on 400 acres of land and has an annual budget of more than $219 million. UW-Whitewater is located in the community of Whitewater, which has 14,622 residents and is within convenient driving distance to the metropolitan areas of Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago. The university enrolls more than 12,000 students in more than 50 majors housed within four academic colleges. UW-Whitewater also offers 16 master’s degrees and a Doctorate in Business Administration. The university’s strategic plan can be found at: www.uww.edu/strategic-plan
. It has a special mission within the UW System to serve students with disabilities and, as such, embraces the principles of universal design and is one of the most accessible campuses in the state. UW-Whitewater is a Division III NCAA university and member of WIAC (http://wiacsports.com
). The campus has over 200 student organizations and is a vital economic engine for southeastern Wisconsin.
UW-Whitewater is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse campus environment, building a diverse faculty and staff with expertise and interest in serving students with diverse needs, backgrounds, ethnicities, abilities and other distinct characteristics in respectful, sensitive and understanding ways. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and veterans.ORGANIZATION INFORMATION:
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is part of the 26-campus University of Wisconsin System (https://www.wisconsin.edu
Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(b) provides that applicants may indicate in writing that their identity should be kept confidential. In response to a public records request, the University will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(a).
UW-Whitewater requires criminal background checks as a contingency to employment. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater requires that all employees be active participants in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
For UW-Whitewater Campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report, see http://www.uww.edu/asfr
. If you would like a paper copy of the report please contact the UW-Whitewater Police at 262-472-4660.
To learn more about UW-Whitewater's competitive benefits packages go to our: ALEX webpage, which is our interactive benefits decision support tool.SPECIAL NOTES:
UW-Whitewater embraces AAC&U’s LEAP principles (http://www.uww.edu/leap
) and emphasizes student, staff and faculty participation in High-Impact Practices (https://www.aacu.org/resources/high-impact-practices
). The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (http://www.uww.edu/orsp
) provides support for faculty scholarly and creative activities as well as other opportunities to apply for reassigned time and/or other resources to support research activities. UW-Whitewater faculty and staff also have access to technology transfer and research resources provided by WiSys (https://www.wisys.org
). CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT:
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Human Resources. TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION:
Applications received by May 6, 2019
are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. The most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at 262-472-1072 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions regarding the position please contact:
Only complete application packages will be considered. A complete application includes online submission of the following documents:
This Job ID is 15205.
- Cover Letter
- Three Professional Reference
Who are you?
A potential applicant who is NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System, click here and type in the Job ID: UW-Whitewater External Applicants
A current employee of the University of Wisconsin System, click here and type in the Job ID: UW-Whitewater Internal Applicants
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.
Apply Online FAQs