Complex Director - University Housing - 15220
The Department of University Housing seeks a Residence Hall Manager (Complex Director).
Complex Directors are an integral part of the Residence Life program for University Housing at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. Complex Directors oversee all management functions of a residence hall complex including supervision of staff (a graduate Assistant Complex Director, Resident Assistants, and clerical support), advising of student leadership groups, facilities management, and crisis response. Complex Directors primary goal is to work closely with an Assistant Director to create a living, learning community that fosters academic success, embraces pluralism and promotes personal growth. This is a live-in position.
- Master’s degree (or evidence that the Master’s is near completion) in College Student Personnel, Higher Education Administration, Counseling, or related area
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Previous residence hall experience
- Ability to interact respectfully with people from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate a graduate Assistant Complex Director, undergraduate Resident Assistants, and clerical assistants.
- Manage room changes and related occupancy functions using established procedures. Maintain accurate occupancy records.
- Assume responsibility for the student conduct process within the hall(s). Meet with students, assign appropriate educational sanctions, and maintain accurate records associated with this process.
- Manage the early alert for academic success retention efforts for your complex which includes using assessment data to implement programs, and coordinate academic based interventions and referrals with at risk students identified.
- Responsible for collaborating with the Learning Community office and managing any Residence Life learning community initiatives that may happen in the hall. Note: Not all residence halls have learning communities.
- Coordinate the opening and closing procedures for the residence halls at the beginning and end of each semester and during holiday periods.
- Maintain contact with custodians and maintenance personnel and work cooperatively with facilities staff to report damages, repairs, and replacements occurring within the halls.
- Duties include willingness and ability to be an active participant in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
- Provide training and resource information to develop and implement programs.
- Participate in leadership programs sponsored by Residence Life.
- Mentor Assistant Complex Director in their work with the Leadership Involvement Team (LIT).
- Advise Homecoming committee members.
DEPARTMENT INFORMATION:Supervision Received:
- Make referral contacts, when necessary for students facing academic, personal, or other concerns.
- Instruct a training course for new RAs.
- Utilize student development and learning theories to assist with assessing student needs, setting goals, and implementing and evaluating programs.
- Assume an active role in the planning and production of the annual social justice program, Boxes & Walls.
- Assume an active role in implementing programs which will facilitate the personal and educational growth of residents.
- Participate in the overall administration of Residence Life and University Housing by serving on committees and task forces, attending staff meetings, representing the office as requested, cooperatively assisting colleagues, and assisting with financial management.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned by the Assistant Directors, Associate Director, or Executive Director.
General supervision is received from the Assistant Director-Community Development, Assistant Director – Staff & Academic Development, or Assistant Director-Student Engagement.Supervision Excercised:
Supervision is exercised over a graduate Assistant Complex Director, Resident Assistants, student clerical staff, and desk attendants.Benefits:
This is a 12-month position with a start date of March 1st. Additional benefits include a beautifully furnished two-bedroom apartment including washer/dryer, meal plan, reserved parking permit, membership to University Fitness Center, an excellent health/retirement package, and professional development funds. Complex Directors are allowed to have a pet (cats and dogs only.)Salary:
This is a twelve month appointment with a minimum annual salary of approximately $33,100.CAMPUS INFORMATION:
) is the largest regional comprehensive university within the UW System and enjoys a reputation as a high quality residential campus located near the scenic Kettle Moraine State Forest in southeastern Wisconsin. UW-Whitewater is situated on 400 acres of land and has an annual budget of more than $219 million. UW-Whitewater is located in the community of Whitewater, which has 14,622 residents and is within convenient driving distance to the metropolitan areas of Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago. The university enrolls more than 12,000 students in more than 50 majors housed within four academic colleges. UW-Whitewater also offers 16 master’s degrees and a Doctorate in Business Administration. The university’s strategic plan can be found at: www.uww.edu/strategic-plan
. It has a special mission within the UW System to serve students with disabilities and, as such, embraces the principles of universal design and is one of the most accessible campuses in the state. UW-Whitewater is a Division III NCAA university and member of WIAC (http://wiacsports.com
). The campus has over 200 student organizations and is a vital economic engine for southeastern Wisconsin.
UW-Whitewater is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse campus environment, building a diverse faculty and staff with expertise and interest in serving students with diverse needs, backgrounds, ethnicities, abilities and other distinct characteristics in respectful, sensitive and understanding ways. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and veterans.ORGANIZATION INFORMATION:
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is part of the 26-campus University of Wisconsin System (https://www.wisconsin.edu
Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(b) provides that applicants may indicate in writing that their identity should be kept confidential. In response to a public records request, the University will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(a).
UW-Whitewater requires criminal background checks as a contingency to employment. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment.
All final candidates must be asked, prior to hire, whether they have been found to have engaged in, are currently under investigation for, or left employment during an active investigation in which they were accused of sexual violence or sexual harassment. When obtaining employment reference checks, these same sexual violence or sexual harassment questions must also be asked.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater requires that all employees be active participants in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
For UW-Whitewater Campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report, see http://www.uww.edu/asfr
. If you would like a paper copy of the report please contact the UW-Whitewater Police at 262-472-4660.
To learn more about UW-Whitewater's competitive benefits packages go to our: ALEX webpage, which is our interactive benefits decision support tool.SPECIAL NOTES:
UW-Whitewater embraces AAC&U’s LEAP principles (http://www.uww.edu/leap
) and emphasizes student, staff and faculty participation in High-Impact Practices (https://www.aacu.org/resources/high-impact-practices
). The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (http://www.uww.edu/orsp
) provides support for faculty scholarly and creative activities as well as other opportunities to apply for reassigned time and/or other resources to support research activities. UW-Whitewater faculty and staff also have access to technology transfer and research resources provided by WiSys (https://www.wisys.org
). CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT:
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Human Resources. TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION:
Applications received by February 17, 2019
are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at 262-472-1024 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions regarding the position, please contact:
Associate Director of University Housingtumbaret@uww.edu
Only complete application packages will be considered. A complete application includes online submission of the following documents:
This Job ID is 15220.
- Cover Letter/Letter of Interest
- Three Professional/Supervisory References
Who are you?
A potential applicant who is NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System, click here and type in the Job ID: UW-Whitewater External Applicants
A current employee of the University of Wisconsin System, click here and type in the Job ID: UW-Whitewater Internal Applicants
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.
Apply Online FAQs