Custodial Lead - University Center - 13509
The James R. Connor University Center, in the Division of Student Affairs, is seeking a UC Custodial Lead.
(This position is responsible for providing custodial lead work for the University Center and/or Student Dining Halls Drumlin and Esker.)
The Custodian Lead is assigned to the Housekeeping Team as a lead worker, determining daily work details and guidance of custodial workers. The lead worker reports to the Custodial Services Supervisor and ensures all assigned team duties are properly performed. This position will be an active participant in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills. This position makes frequent rounds of the area checking the progress and quality of housekeeping services being performed.
This position performs a variety of custodial functions but are not limited to: guiding a crew of custodians; instructing other employees in the operation of equipment; operation of automatic cleaning equipment such as automatic scrubbers, wet/dry vacuums, pressure washer and carpet/upholstery cleaning equipment; mopping, stripping, and sealing of floors; cleaning of public restrooms; shoveling snow and operating a snow blower; replacing and recycling burned out bulbs/tubes. The position also performs a variety of miscellaneous tasks as assigned by the supervisor and must be able to work with minimal supervision.
25% A. Serves as crew leader and assigns work to clean and set up meeting rooms, activity areas, and dining areas
20% B. Serves as crew leader and assigns work to maintain public restrooms in a sanitary condition
- Plans and assigns tasks to facilitate teamwork and cooperation among subordinates
- Assists in facility set up and take down
- Responsible for physical arrangement for conferences, dinners, and meetings held in the assigned area
- Cleans floors (carpet and tile) daily; vacuum, extract, scrub and finish as necessary
- Cleans furniture as necessary
- Empties waste baskets daily
- Washes windows as necessary
- Washes walls and doors as necessary
- Dusts all areas daily
- Empties all public trash cans daily
20% C. Serves as crew leader and assign work to maintain floors and stairwells
- Washes and sanitize sinks daily
- Washes and sanitize urinals daily
- Washes and sanitize toilets daily
- Washes walls daily
- Sweeps and damp mops (sanitize) floors daily
- Services dispensers daily
- Empties wastebaskets daily
- Washes mirrors daily
- Cleans doors as necessary
- Cleans air vents as necessary
20% D. Performs special project work with crew as assigned
- Prepares equipment and cleaning solutions for crews engaged in scrubbing and mopping floors
- Instructs subordinates as to proper use of equipment
- Sweeps all areas daily
- Mops all areas daily
- Scrubs areas as necessary
- Empties wastebaskets daily
- Cleans walls, windows, and doors
- Cleans stair railings
- Refinishes floors when necessary
- Dusts all areas daily
10% E. Performs related work as assigned by supervisor
- Assists in special housekeeping
- Assists supervisor in collection and inventory of burned out bulbs/tubes to facilitate removal to designated area for storage
5% F. Removes snow and ice from immediate areas of building
- Monitors and distributes supplies
- Coordinates requisitions for custodial supplies, distributes supplies, and maintains control on the use of supplies
- Reports personnel or equipment problems to supervisor
- Reports employee concerns to supervisor
- Keeps employee time records and facilitates vacation scheduling
- Shovels snow and ice from stairways and ramps
- Shovels snow and ice from sidewalks near building
- Salts or sands stairways, ramps, and sidewalks when necessary
- Ability to perform a variety of daily, periodic and seasonal duties
- Ability to work collaboratively with co-workers, staff, and students
- Ability to interact respectfully with people from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Ability to be authorized to drive a state vehicle
- Ability to provide crew leadership, instruction and administrative support for custodial crew
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload
- Knowledge of commercial cleaning methods
- Knowledge of cleaning solutions and agents
- Knowledge of cleaning equipment and materials
- Familiarity with TMA, computerized maintenance system
- Familiarity with the Human Resources System (HRS)
- Knowledge of basic equipment repairs
- Ability to work independently
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is a regional comprehensive university with an enrollment of more than 12,000 students. UW-Whitewater has reached record enrollment four of the last five years and offers 50 majors in four colleges. UW-Whitewater also offers 15 master's degree programs and recently added a Doctorate of Business Administration. UW-Whitewater students achieve excellence in the classroom and on the playing field. In the 2014-15 Academic Year, UW-Whitewater was the first university in NCAA history at any level to win national championships in football, basketball and baseball in a single year. The campus offers more than 200 student organizations and is a vital economic engine for southeastern Wisconsin. UW- Whitewater is situated on 400 acres of land and has an annual budget of more than $219 million. - See more at: http://www.uww.edu/news
UW-Whitewater is part of the 26-campus University of Wisconsin System. Located in a community of 14,622 residents near the scenic Kettle Moraine State Forest in southeastern Wisconsin, Whitewater is within convenient driving distance to the metropolitan areas of Milwaukee, Madison, and Chicago.
Qualified veterans with a 30% or more service-connected disability are eligible for non-competitive appointment to permanent positions in classified civil service under s. 230.275, WI Stats. Ask the Human Resources contact listed on any job announcement for information on how to apply under this provision. Current State of Wisconsin employees are not eligible for non-competitive appointment.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and all veterans.
Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(b) provides that applicants for positions may indicate in writing that his or her identity should be kept confidential. In response to a public records request, the University will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wisconsin Statutes 19.36 (7)(a).
UW-Whitewater conducts criminal background checks as a contingency to employment. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment.
The University of Wisconsin - Whitewater requires that all employees be active participants in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
For UW-W Campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report, see http://www.uww.edu/asfr
. If you would like a paper copy of the report please contact the UW-Whitewater Police at 262-472-4660.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications received by OCTOBER 17, 2017 are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at 262-472-1024 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions regarding the position please contact:
University Services Program Associate
Only complete application packages will be considered. A complete application includes online submission of the following documents:
This Job ID is 13509.
- Online Application
- 3 Professional References
Who are you?
A potential applicant who is NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System, click here: UW-Whitewater External Applicants
A current employee of the University of Wisconsin System, click here: UW-Whitewater Internal Applicants
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.Apply Online FAQs