Financial Specialist - University Center - 13796
The James R. Connor University Center in the Division of Student Affair seeks a University Center Financial Specialist. This position reports to the Executive Director of the James R. Connor University Center (UC) and serves as the UC Financial Specialist. Working closely with all UC, UW-W Dining Services and Hawkcard Office departments, this position performs departmental financial transaction functions in compliance with University policies and state regulations. The total annual budgets for these areas is $13.7 million. This position is responsible for completing transactions, audits, daily cash receipts, monthly credit card reconciliations and financial reporting. This position will be an active participant in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
35% Oversee day to day cash management, reporting, data management and reconciliation for the James R. Connor University Center
25% Compare and track UW-Whitewater Dining and University Center accounts for accuracy
- Determine change requirements and prepare daily cash bags for UC cash operations, including but not limited to, the Information Center, Hawkcard Office, Ticket Services, Warhawk Alley, University Entertainment, and some student organization events. Develop and maintain cash bag log system.
- Responsible for ensuring proper controls and accuracy of each transaction. Audit and reconcile all departments’ daily cash receipts, collaborate with UW-W Financial Services to verify proper revenue class code, tax code and organization codes. Administer deposits and reconciliation of revenue with general ledger reports. Verify the amount of the University Cashier’s deposit receipt, file with the universities original cash report document and distribute a copy of the cash report to the appropriate departmental manager.
- Develop accounting procedures and spreadsheet for verifying and recording deposit and report summary documentation to appropriate departmental manager. Respond to questions, troubleshoot and resolve problems with University Center department supervisors and Executive Director.
- Conduct daily audits of cash on hand. Complete a cash accountability report and distribute to the University Center Executive Director.
- Provide advice, interpretation and information on rules, regulations and guidelines for all departments receiving cashiering services.
- Collaborate with UW-W Cashiers to obtain and maintain adequate currency and coin levels to meet the daily requirements of the University Center revenue producing operations.
- Develop, maintain and update cash handling procedures, office policies and procedures manual, and information in UC operations manual.
- Follow procedures for determining amounts of revenue deposit, Wisconsin state sales tax, Walworth county sales tax, and Jefferson county sales tax.
- Develop and prepare financial reports for depositing receipts.
15% Perform duties related to contracts, commissions and deposits
- Prepare monthly comparison reports for all UW-Whitewater Dining, Hawkcard Office and University Center Accounts.
- Analyze each account compared to budget and previous year numbers to ensure all accounts stay within budget. Inform University Center Executive Director of all variances and discrepancies.
- Confirm all large expenditures. Inform University Center Executive Director of the nature of each large expenditure.
- Create and update budget workbooks and revised budget workbooks for UW-Whitewater Dining Services, Hawkcard Office and the University Center.
10% Administer Accounts Receivable program for University Center departments
- Deposit checks received for commissions from vendors
- Distribute proceeds from commissions to proper accounts
- Assist with reconciling commission reports
- Prepare invoices related to commissions and contracts
- Prepare Food Service commission and sales reports using information from food service provider.
15% Perform miscellaneous job related tasks as assigned
- Using the Peachtree Accounting System, prepare and send invoices for all services provided to individuals, campus organizations, UW-Whitewater Dining Services, UW- Credit Union, and other campus organizations.
- Prepare internal chargebacks, using the Peachtree Accounting System to charge for all services provided to campus organizations with organization codes. Ensure correct signatures authorizing the chargebacks.
- Document and prepare a monthly listing of all payments and outstanding invoices. Send to all appropriate University Center departments and University Center Director.
- Assist with procurement procedures by preparing purchase orders and process invoices for payment through purchase orders and quick orders.
- Interview, hire, schedule, train and supervise student employees to assist this Financial Specialist position.
- Maintain financial documents and files in accordance with the UW-Whitewater financial document retention program.
- Utilize computer programs in Microsoft Office Suite and others, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Publishers, and Peachtree to prepare reports as necessary.
- Serve as office resource person for troubleshooting and interpretation training of spreadsheet set-up.
- Provide Notary Services for Students and staff as requested.
- Provide backup and support for procurement card monitoring and verifications for various University Center Departments.
- Analyze various projects regarding income and expenditures per the request of the Executive Director of University Center.
- Act as Campus Business Representative for UW-Whitewater Dining Services and University Center by attending monthly meetings and report on updates.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in accounting and cash handling for in a business or professional organization setting
- Proficiency with computer software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to learn new computer programs.
- Ability to supervise, train, and schedule student employees.
- Ability to be accurate and follow proper procedures for accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable and cash handling duties
- Willingness and ability to interact respectfully with people from diverse socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Office process skills, including answering phones and providing excellent customer service.
UW-Whitewater embraces AAC&U’s LEAP principles (http://www.uww.edu/leap
) and emphasizes student, staff and faculty participation in High-Impact Practices (https://www.aacu.org/resources/high-impact-practices
). The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (http://www.uww.edu/orsp
) provides support for faculty scholarly and creative activities as well as other opportunities to apply for reassigned time and/or other resources to support research activities. UW-Whitewater faculty and staff also have access to technology transfer and research resources provided by WiSys (https://www.wisys.org
). HOW TO APPLY:
Applications received by January 15, 2018
are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at 262-472-1024 or email@example.com
For questions regarding the position please contact:
University Services Program Associate
Only complete application packages will be considered. A complete application includes online submission of the following documents:
This Job ID is 13796.Who are you?
- A Cover Letter outlining your experience with the minimum qualification and the knowledge, skills and abilities
- 3 Professional References with contact information
A potential applicant who is NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System, click here: UW-Whitewater External Applicants
A current employee of the University of Wisconsin System, click here: UW-Whitewater Internal Applicants
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.Apply Online FAQs