Financial Specialist / Financial Specialist Senior- College of Business and Economics - 13941 - TITLE CORRECTION: INTERNAL POSTING
The College of Business and Economics seeks a full-time Financial Specialist / Financial Specialist Senior. This recruitment is open to current UW-Whitewater employees only at this time.
This position assists the Dean, Associate Deans and Assistant Deans of the College of Business and Economics (CoBE) in a variety of ways that support the responsibilities of those positions.
The primary responsibilities for this position are related to college financial matters. These matters include managing the budgets associated with the Dean’s office including the Professional Development budget, Strategic Planning and Strategic Priorities. The position provides a lead role in training CoBE faculty and non-teaching staff in travel regulations and reimbursement policies. The position is also responsible for a number of procurement and purchasing processes.
The Financial Specialist position reports directly to the dean. The employee is also expected to handle confidential information in a discrete way and to be able to troubleshoot and solve problems independently. The employee should have excellent communication skills.
90% A. Financial Support
10% B. College Initiative Support and Special Projects
- Responsible for managing the budget by allocating funds from various sources on Travel Expense Reports. Track and reconcile PDP and Paper presentation spending.Inform and train CoBE personnel of travel rules and policies for reimbursement.
- Responsible for managing numerous procurement credit cards.Reconcile credit card statements with WISDM.Complete procurement logs for auditing.
- Train and assist deans, directors, department chairs, faculty, academic staff and university staff on purchasing rules as necessary. Communicate the availability of funding sources and relevant deadlines to appropriate stakeholders.
- Assist in tracking and processing additional expenses such as moving expenses for new faculty, payments to individuals (PIRs), and other expenses at the college level.Assist newly hired faculty with policies and procedures related to relocating.
- Assist in monitoring and auditing financial transactions. Ensure expenditures and charges to budgets are in compliance with university, state, and granting agency guidelines and regulations.
- Assist in purchasing supplies and equipment funded through college sources.
- Move budget and transfer expenses as needed between department budgets and the Dean’s Office.
- Along with other university and academic staff in the dean’s, associate deans’ and assistant deans’ offices, support college-level initiatives (e.g. attending college meetings, planning and preparing for other college-level events, etc.).
- Take on other Special Projects for the Dean as assigned.
At least 2 years of experience in a financial or accounting support role.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to be discreet when handling confidential information.
- Ability to interact respectfully with people with diverse socioeconomic cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Ability to work in a team both within the college and key stakeholders from across the university system including financial services, purchasing, academic affairs and administrative affairs.
- The employee is required to know and follow UW Whitewater, UW System and DOA regulations regarding payments to vendors, transfers of expenses, travel rules and regulations and policies. Knowledge of state purchasing policies and procedures.
- Skilled in use of Microsoft Office (specifically Word and Excel), ability to use accounting and statistical analysis software; ability to use scheduling/student administration software.
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems independently. Possess appropriate initiative and attention to detail in carrying out responsibilities.
- Knowledge of financial regulations for funding sources (PR, GPR, etc.).
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Possess strong customer service orientation and positive attitude.
- Knowledge of accounting procedures, policies and forms.
- Knowledge of campus buildings and general infrastructure.
) is the largest regional comprehensive university within the UW System and enjoys a reputation as a high quality residential campus located near the scenic Kettle Moraine State Forest in southeastern Wisconsin. UW-W is situated on 400 acres of land and has an annual budget of more than $219 million. UW-W is located in the community of Whitewater, which has 14,622 residents and is within convenient driving distance to the metropolitan areas of Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago. The university enrolls more than 12,000 students in 50 majors housed within four academic colleges. UW-Whitewater also offers 16 master’s degrees and a Doctorate in Business Administration. The university’s strategic plan can be found at: http://www.uww.edu/strategic-plan
. It has a special mission within the UW System to serve students with disabilities and, as such, embraces the principles of universal design and is one of the most accessible campuses in the state. UW-Whitewater is a Division III NCAA university and member of WIAC (http://wiacsports.com
). The campus has over 200 student organizations and is a vital economic engine for southeastern Wisconsin.
UW-W is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse campus environment, building a diverse faculty and staff with expertise and interest in serving students with diverse needs, backgrounds, ethnicities, abilities and other distinct characteristics in respectful, sensitive and understanding ways. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and veterans.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is part of the 26-campus University of Wisconsin System (https://www.wisconsin.edu).
Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(b) provides that applicants may indicate in writing that their identity should be kept confidential. In response to a public records request, the University will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(a).
UW-Whitewater requires criminal background checks as a contingency to employment. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment.
The University of Wisconsin - Whitewater requires that all employees be active participants in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
For UW-W Campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report, see http://www.uww.edu/asfr. If you would like a paper copy of the report please contact the UW-Whitewater Police at 262-472-4660.
UW-Whitewater embraces AAC&U’s LEAP principles (http://www.uww.edu/leap) and emphasizes student, staff and faculty participation in High-Impact Practices (https://www.aacu.org/resources/high-impact-practices). The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (http://www.uww.edu/orsp) provides support for faculty scholarly and creative activities as well as other opportunities to apply for reassigned time and/or other resources to support research activities. UW-Whitewater faculty and staff also have access to technology transfer and research resources provided by WiSys (https://www.wisys.org).
HOW TO APPLY:
Only complete application packages will be considered. A complete application includes online submission of the following documents:
- Letter of interest
Applications received by February 6, 2018 are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at 262-472-1024 or email@example.com
For questions regarding the position please contact:
Assistant Dean – College of Business & Economics
firstname.lastname@example.orgThis Job ID is 13941.
Who are you?
A current employee of the University of Wisconsin System, click here: UW-Whitewater Internal Applicants
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.Apply Online FAQs