Step 3: The Award Notification
The Award Letter
Students who are new to UW-Whitewater will receive a paper award letter, and continuing students will receive an email. All students can view their aid on WINS once the award notification has been mailed or emailed. Before that time, WINS will say the award is not available. Awards for the upcoming academic year are not sent until after April 1.
Please review the Financial Aid Checklist to make sure you are completing all necessary steps to receive your financial aid.
Steps for Accepting Aid
Review all of the award offer carefully to understand the Cost of Attendance and types of aid offered. The deadline to accept the award is three weeks from the date of the award. If you do not accept in three weeks, you may lose out on some funding. Accepted awards can be declined at a later date for students who change their mind.
1. Log into WINS.
2. From Student Center, click on Accept/Decline Awards and the appropriate aid year.
3. Check the Accept or Decline box for each award. If you would like to reduce one of your loans, click accept, then change the amount.
NOTE: If you were offered a Parent PLUS Loan, this requires a separate application completed by your parent; it cannot be accepted on WINS.
4. Click Submit!
If you would like a paper copy of your award, click the Print Award Letter link on the Accept/Decline page.
From Student Center, click on Financial Aid Summary and the appropriate aid year. Here you will find details on what information was used for your award. You must email the Financial Aid Office regarding any award details which are incorrect. This includes:
- Changes to enrollment.
- Residency status changes.
- If you were packaged for the academic year, but plan to graduate in December.
- If you will receive any sources of aid not included in your award package such as private scholarships, DVR, employer paid tuition, or other sources of aid. Please report the name of the source, amount, and semester you will receive the award.
Please include your ID# in all communications!
Authorizing Release of Information
From Student Center, click on Release F/A Information. Conditional releases, restricting the release of information to a specific individual, need to be submitted in writing to the Financial Aid Office.
When you accept your award, you agree that you understand the following important information:
- Financial aid is subject to change due to changes in enrollment, changes to the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), changes to the Cost of Attendance, receipt of outside aid, and/or residency status changes.
- Students must meet all eligibility requirements for financial aid.
- Students must be aware of Satisfactory Academic Progress policies and Withdrawal policies.
- Financial aid will be used to pay your financial obligation to UW-Whitewater first.
- Under certain instances, scholarship, grants, and fellowships may be subject to income tax. Refer to the IRS for more information. Keep receipts for any qualified educational expenses.
If your family's financial situation has changed, you may want to discuss this with your financial aid administrator to determine if this changes your eligibility for financial aid.