General Education: The Goals
The main goal of our general education program is to provide all students the tools they need to improve their thinking, reasoning, and problem solving skills so they can continue to succeed in the world after graduation. Through the many facets of this program, students will gain a broader understanding and appreciation of the scientific and cultural world around them.
General Education enhances students' abilities to:
- Think critically and analytically integrate and synthesize knowledge, and draw conclusions from complex material.
- Make sound ethical and value judgements based on the development of a personal value system, on an understanding of shared culture heritage, and knowledge of past success,failures, and consequences of individual roles and societal choices.
- Understand and appreciate the culture diversity of the U.S. and other countries, and live responsibly in an interdependent world.
- Acquire a base of knowledge common to educated persons and the capacity to expand that base over their lifetime.
- Communicate effectively in written, oral, and symbolic form
- Understand the nature and physical world, the process by which scientific concepts are developed and modified.
- Appreciate the fine and performing arts.
- Develop the mathematical and quantitative skills necessary of calculation, analysis and problem solving.
- Understand the principles essential for continual mental and physical well-being.