GRADUATE COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
February 6, 2014
PRESENT: Paul Adogamhe, Paul Ambrose, Scott Bradley, Sang Choi, Corey Davis, Colin De Mers, Will Drago, Michael Gueno, Glenn Hayes, Sarah Hessenauer, Denton Marks, Lopa Mukherjee, Kim Naber, Carol Normand, Mark Schroeder, Shannon Stuart, Kelly Witte, Ozgur Yavuzcetin, John Zbikowski, Wenquan Zhang, and Jianzhou Zhu.
ABSENT: Marshall Anderson, Nick Bentz, Jessica Callaway, Jeff Cook, *Shannon Cummins, John Frye, Kimberly Knesting-Lund, *Pete Mesner, Amber Moulton, Manuel Ossers, Lauren Smith, and Gautam Wadhwa.
GUEST: John Chenoweth, Carol Elsen, and Lila Waldman
The February 6, 2014, meeting was called to order at 2:17 p.m. by Dean Stone.
Glenn Hayes moved, with a second by Carol Normand, to approve the minutes of the December 5, 2013 meeting. With no comments or corrections, the motion carried.
- Graduate enrollment for spring 2014 is down from previous years. This is a national trend, according to the Council of Graduate Schools.
- A ten-minute questionnaire will be sent to all graduate faculty in the next few weeks relative to the Graduate Experience project. This is a comprehensive project, including a review of all dual-listed courses, as well as exit questionnaire responses from graduate students. John urged all graduate faculty to take a few minutes to complete the questionnaire.
- The application deadline for spring 2014 graduate research grants is February 7th.
Information Only Items
Michael Gueno moved to approve all Information Only items on the agenda.Sang Choi seconded the motion. The motion carried.
- Curricular Action: Course Deletion from the Department of Communication: COMM 520 Advanced Audio Techniques
- Curricular Action: Course Deletion from the Department of Communication: COMM 530 Corporate and Industrial Video Production
- Curricular Action: Course Deletion from the Department of Communication: COMM 535 Advertising Video Production
- Course Deletion from the Department of Occupational and Environmental Safety and Health: SAFETY 689 Hazardous Materials Management
Glenn Hayes moved to approve items A and B on the agenda. Kelly Witte seconded the motion. With no questions or concerns, the motion carried.
- Curricular Action: New Course from the Department of Communication COMM 538: Video Production III: Corporate and Commercial Media
- Curricular Action: New Course from the Department of Communication COMM 539: Audio Production III: Studio Production
Scott Bradley then moved, with a second by John Zbikowski, to approve item C on the agenda. Scott indicated that this is just an update to the course. The motion was approved.
- Curricular Action: Course Revision, Credit Change and Title Change from the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders: COMDIS 580: FROM: Speech and Language Development (3 u) TO: Speech and Language Development in Children (4 u)
Next, John Zbikowski moved, with a second by Shannon Stuart, to approve the change to the MS-Business and Marketing Education program.
- Curricular Action: Change in Major from the Department of Curriculum and Instruction: MS-Business & Marketing Education
Finally, Glenn Hayes moved, with a second by Carol Normand, to approve the Repeatability for ACCOUNT 656.
- Curricular Action: Repeatability Change from the Department of Accounting: ACCOUNT 656 - Cost Management II FROM: Repeatable TO: Not Repeatable.
With no further discussion, Shannon Stuart moved, with a second by Carol Normand, to adjourn the meeting. The meeting adjourned at 2:40 p.m.