GRADUATE COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
|May 5 , 2005|
|PRESENT:||Leon Arriola (for Mohammad Ahmadi), Bob Benjamin, Erica Berry, Scott Bradley, David Gordon, Robert Gruber, James Larson, Crista Lebens, Pete Mesner, Stephanie Miller, Andrea Musher, Manuel Ossers, John Patterson, Barbara Penington, William Skelly, Bambi Statz, Alvaro Taveira, Jennifer Thibodeaux, Anthony Truog, Linda Yu, and John Zbikowski.|
|ABSENT:||Paul Adogamhe, Mohammad Ahmadi, *Marshall Anderson, Kathy Asala, John Aulerich, Bob Benjamin, David Gordon, Robert Gruber, Elizabeth Hachten, Glenn Hayes, Denton Marks, Dan McGuire, *Pete Mesner, John Patterson, Tim Reutebuch, William Skelly, Lauren Smith, and Tony Truog.|
|GUESTS:||Brenda O’Beirne and Don Zahn.|
John Stone called to order the May 5, 2005, meeting of the Graduate Council at 2:19 p.m. Manuel Ossers moved for approval of the April 7, 2005 meeting. Alvaro Taveira seconded the motion. Noting no corrections to the minutes, the motion carried.
- A summary of the summer and fall 2005 graduate enrollments was distributed with the agenda. A comparison of the 2004 summer and fall summaries reflects a decrease of 14 FTE for the summer and 30 FTE for the fall.
- To date, nineteen of the twenty PR-funded assistantships for the 2005-06 academic year have been contracted.
- A new imaging system has been implemented in the Graduate Office. All file documents will be imaged and transmitted via the web to program coordinators. This is a system that will be used by many offices on campus as well as throughout the UW System. Eventually, it will make for a paperless office.
- Good news – for the 2005-06 academic year, the Graduate Council will meet in the UC South Commons, which is more centrally located on campus.
Information Only Items
Will Drago moved to approve the Information Only items, A-F, of the agenda. Bambi Statz quickly seconded the motion. The motion carried. Curricular items approved included:
- Curricular Action: Course Requisite Change from the Department of Biological Sciences: BIOLOGY 570 Aquatic Biology.
- Curricular Action: Course Requisite and Description Change from the Department of Accounting: ACCOUNT 651: Tax I.
- Curricular Action: Course Requisite and Description Change from the Department of Accounting: ACCOUNT 541: Intermediate Accounting I.
- Curricular Action: Course Deletion from the Department of Geography and Geology: GEOLGY 501 Environmental Geology.
- Curricular Action: Course Requisite Change from the Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Coaching: COACHING 661: Prevention and Care of Athletic Injuries.
- Curricular Action: Course Credit Change from the Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Coaching: HEALTHED 541: Yoga & Stress Reduction.
Jim Larson moved to approve the three new certificate programs from the Department of Counselor Education. Anene Okocha seconded Jim’s motion. Brenda O’Beirne presented an overview and a rationale for the certificate programs, which is to help students who already have a graduate degree in counseling gain and acquire additional skills in a different emphasis. With no further discussion, the motion carried unanimously. New certificate programs approved included:
- Curricular Action: New Certificate Program from the Department of Counselor Education: Community Counseling.
- Curricular Action: New Certificate Program from the Department of Counselor Education: Higher Education Counseling.
- Curricular Action: New Certificate Program from the Department of Counselor Education: School Counseling.
Anxious to have this last meeting of the year over, Manuel Ossers moved, seconded by Anene Okocha, to adjourn the meeting at 2:45 p.m