GRADUATE COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
|October 6, 2011|
|PRESENT:||Paul Adogamhe, Paul Ambrose, Leon Arriola, Scott Bradley, Chris Calvert-Minor, Sang Choi, Corey Davis, Glenn Hayes, Sarah Hessenauer, Rashiqa Kamal, Kim Naber, Christine Neddenriep, Carol Normand, Brenda O'Beirne (for Anene Okocha), Manuel Ossers, Stacey Paulos, Diana Rogers-Adkinson, Mark Schroeder, Michael Wessely, Kelly Witte, and John Zbikowski.|
|ABSENT:||*Marshall Anderson, *Anna Berberet, Pavan Chennamaneni, Will Drago, Thomas Jeffery, *Denton Marks, *Pete Mesner, *Amber Moulton, Michael Oldani, Steven Sahyun, Lauren Smith, and Gautam Wadhwa.|
|GUESTS:||John Chenoweth, Ellie Dickmann, and Carol Elsen|
The first meeting of the 2011-12 academic year was called to order at 2:18 p.m by John Stone.
The minutes of the May 5, 2011 meeting were unanimously approved on a Will Drago/Mark Schroeder motion.
Announcements for October 6 Graduate Council
- A fall (September 15th) ten-year graduate FTE comparison was distributed with the agenda. Graduate FTE is ahead of last year's record by approximately ten FTE.
- Graduate Student Research Grant applications are due October 14th, 2011, for the fall round of funding. There may be another round in spring 2012. Students are eligible for up to $750 for research expenses.
- Seth Meisel is the new Associate Dean for Graduate Studies and Continuing Education, effective September 1, 2011.
Information Only Item
Manuel Ossers moved, with a second by Scott Bradley, to approve the Information Only item on the agenda. The motion carried.
- Curricular Action: Prerequisite and Title Change from the Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Coaching: RECREATN 534 From: Recreation Programming and Leadership To: Recreation Programming
John Zbikowski moved for approval of a new course from the Department of Curriculum and Instruction. Mark Schroeder seconded the motion. John indicated that the new course would be an elective course for many programs. With no further questions or concerns, the motion carried.
- Curricular Action: New Course from the Department of Curriculum and Instruction: CIGENRL 679 Drama in Education
Next, Glenn Hayes moved for approval of a new course from the Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Coaching. Scott Bradley seconded the motion. Kelly Witte, arriving just in time, breathless after scaling the steps of the UC to get to the meeting, provided a justification for the creation of the course. With no concerns from the group, the motion passed unanimously.
- Curricular Action: New Course form the Department of Health, Physical Education Recreation and Coaching: RECREATN 520 Leadership and Facilitation of Recreational Games
With no other discussion items, Glenn Hayes moved, with a second by Scott Bradley, to adjourn the meeting at 2:29 p.m.