School of Graduate Studies

HOME > GRADUATE CATALOGS > 2006-2008 > Grad Policies 2006-2008

University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
Graduate Catalog


Background. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater was founded in 1868 as a Normal School to train teachers. Since that time, it has progressed to State Teachers College, State College, and State University. Then in 1972, with the merger of the nine state universities and the former University of Wisconsin, UW-Whitewater became a member of the University of Wisconsin System. The UW System now includes 13 universities and 13 two-year centers. The combined enrollment makes it the fourth largest system of higher education in the United States.  

UW-Whitewater has grown to over 10,500 students with more than 1,200 faculty, staff, and administrators. It is now a comprehensive university offering both undergraduate and graduate degrees. More than 60 majors are offered in four undergraduate colleges: Arts and Communication, Business and Economics, Education, and Letters and Sciences. In addition, the School of Graduate Studies, Continuing Education, Extension and Summer Session enrolls hundreds of students on and off campus in both credit and noncredit programs.

The Campus. The University is located in southeastern Wisconsin approximately 45 miles southeast of Madison, 50 miles southwest of Milwaukee, and 100 miles northwest of Chicago. The 385 acre campus is situated in the northwest corner of the City of Whitewater, within walking distance of the city’s business district.

The campus includes 46 academic/auxiliary buildings, a nature preserve and arboretum, and 43 acres set aside for baseball, football, soccer, softball, track, and tennis. Noteworthy buildings include the multipurpose University Center, the Williams Recreation Center, the 12,500- seat Perkins Stadium and the new David L. Kachel Field house, which provides 100,000 square feet of indoor athletics and recreational space.

The focal point of the campus is a two-block mall which links classroom and administrative buildings with the multipurpose University Center. North of the mall lies residence halls, the student health center, the DLK Kachel Fieldhouse, the Williams Physical Education and Recreation Center, and the 12,500 seat Perkins Stadium. To the west is the Center of the Arts and the Young Auditorium which serves as a regional cultural center.

Graduate Education. Until the early 1960s, UW-Whitewater had only offered undergraduate degrees. In response to societal needs for greater specialization and increased education in the professional work force, graduate programs were initiated at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater in the early 1960s. Since then, UW-Whitewater has granted 11,049 master’s degrees. It is presently the fourth largest graduate school in the UW System with 1,173 students enrolled during the fall of 2005.

Master’s degree programs are available in accounting, business administration, business education, communication, communicative disorders, curriculum and instruction, educational administration, counseling, computer information systems, public administration, reading, safety, school business management, school psychology, and special education. An extensive program of evening classes is offered for those who are employed during the day. It is possible to complete some master’s degree programs through summer and evening work without being a full-time student during the academic year.

Graduate certificate programs are available in business administration, safety, counseling, and special education.

Graduate degree programs at UW-Whitewater are fully accredited by the North Central Association, the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business, the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, and the Wisconsin State Department of Public Instruction.

Information on specific degree programs is found in the Degree Programs section of this catalog. For further information on admission to graduate studies contact: School of Graduate Studies, Roseman 2015, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Whitewater, WI 53190; (262) 472-1006; or visit our website at

Safety and Health Policy. The University of Wisconsin System will provide and maintain adequate facilities for a safe and healthy learning environment. It is the University’s responsibility to work with faculty and staff so that they are equipped to educate their students on practices and procedures that ensure safety for all members of the university. Employees with instructional responsibilities are expected to comply with state and federal safety laws and regulations in their institutional areas. Certain courses and research projects require that the student work with hazardous materials while engaging in academic studies. Instructors of these courses and research projects shall inform and train students on procedures that will maintain the students’ personal health and safety and provide them with information on the hazards of specific chemicals that will be used during their course of study. Furthermore, instructors will enforce and follow safety policies. Prior to use of hazardous materials and equipment, the student shall review the procedures and information, and discuss any associated concerns with the instructor.

Graduate Education

Graduate education at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater uses knowledge and skills acquired through baccalaureate degrees and professional experiences as a foundation for advanced-level study and professional development. The goal of graduate education is to prepare individuals to apply an advanced knowledge-base and refined analytic, communicative, and functional skills to problems encountered in their professional careers.

Graduate courses are taught by individuals who have earned "graduate faculty" status or have been approved by the graduate faculty of a department and the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education. Together these are individuals who are active scholars and productive professionals equipped to pass along timely experiences and knowledge about their evolving discipline.

Graduate course work, generally, will introduce students to contemporary issues in the discipline and help them develop a critical perspective for evaluating these and future developments. Graduate course work will help students develop an understanding for how a discipline is organized and how it conducts its research. In that regard, graduate course work is designed to be significantly different from its undergraduate counterpart in the following ways:

  • requiring a greater depth and intensity of study;
  • demanding a higher level of academic/intellectual rigor;
  • focusing primarily on advanced and specialized topics;
  • exploring the integration of theory and practice; and
  • relying on pedagogical practices that require more
  • personal interactions with the instructor, more collaborative interactions with fellow graduate students, and more self-directed learning than undergraduate studies.

Academic Assessment. Academic assessment is a process where academic programs: 1) articulate a set of knowledge-based, cognitive-based, and skill-based objectives defining the competencies that students will acquire in completing the curriculum; 2) collect data from students, alumni, alumni-employers, and other sources that allow it to assess the competency level of its graduates relative to its outlined objectives; 3) utilize the assessment data to make revisions to the curriculum, pedagogical processes, evaluation procedures, and/or program objectives; and 4) share their assessment results with faculty, students, and alumni. Assessment helps the programs achieve one of the most important and difficult challenges facing the modern university: providing curricula that are well-focused, timely, and designed and delivered in such a way that they prepare graduates to be creative, successful professionals.

Graduate education at UW-Whitewater runs its academic assessment at two levels. At one level, each graduate program engages in the four steps outlined above. To assist with the data collection, students in the various programs may be asked to assemble portfolios of their work, or may have their thesis or comprehensive exams assessed by a committee of faculty, and/or they may be asked to complete an exit interview.

At a comprehensive level, the School of Graduate Studies requires all students completing a degree program to complete an exit survey. These surveys provide an ongoing chronicle of student perceptions that are used to assess how well graduate programming is achieving the five comprehensive objectives that characterize the desired outcomes of all graduate programs.


In general, all persons who hold a bachelor’s or advanced degree from a regionally accredited school may register in graduate-level courses for graduate credit. Proof of a bachelor’s or higher degree is required.

Students may be admitted to a graduate degree program either in good standing or on probation. The admission status (e.g., "good standing" vs. "probation") of all applicants from baccalaureate-granting institutions that don't employ traditional grading systems will be left to the judgment and recommendation of the graduate program to which the student is applying. Certain other special categories are established for persons not attempting to complete a degree at this institution. These special categories are "noncandidate for degree" and "guest transfer of credit."

Effective fall 2007, individuals who have earned bachelor degrees created in accordance with the European Higher Education Area (i.e., Bologna Process), or earned bachelor degrees from institutions engaged in a formal agreement with UW-W, will be considered admission eligible providing their academic performance in completing that degree is emblematic of future success in a graduate program (i.e., eligible to be admitted in "good standing").

Admission in Good Standing. Requirements for admission to a degree program in good standing are as follows:

  1. A baccalaureate or higher degree from a regionally accredited institution.
  2. At least a 3.00* overall grade point average in all the graduate work previously completed at UW-Whitewater, with no grades of I or P pending.
  3. One of the following:
    1. At least a 2.75 overall grade point average in the undergraduate degree program.
    2. At least a 2.90 grade point average in the last half of the undergraduate degree program.
    3. A master's degree or higher from an institution regionally accredited at the corresponding graduate level.
    4. At least 12 credits of graduate work completed on a regular grade basis at UW-Whitewater.
  4. Any additional requirements set by individual departments or colleges for admission to specific degree programs.

*All grade point averages are on a 4.00 basis.

Deficiencies in Background for Graduate Study. If a department finds that a student lacks the proper academic background for graduate studies, it may specify that deficiencies be made up before the student completes a degree. In some cases, deficiencies may have to be made up by registering in undergraduate courses that do not count toward completion of a master’s degree.

Admission on Probation. A student who does not meet the requirements for admission in good standing may be admitted to a degree program on probation after furnishing credible evidence of ability to do satisfactory graduate work

Such credibility is determined by the admitting academic department or individual program coordinator, and could be a creditable postgraduate employment record; a satisfactory score on the Graduate Record Examination, GMAT or Miller Analogies Test; or the successful completion of graduate work at a regionally accredited institution.

Students admitted on probation must meet the criteria above for good standing status within the first 12 units attempted, including repeated courses. Those failing to do so will be ineligible to take further graduate work in that degree program.


Noncandidate for Degree (NCFD). Persons who hold a bachelor’s degree or a graduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university but do not wish to be admitted to a graduate degree program are classified as NCFD students. Evidence of a bachelor’s degree or an advanced degree is required for an NCFD student. This category allows the student to enroll in graduate level courses and to receive graduate credit for this work. Departments and colleges reserve the right to restrict NCFD students from their courses.

Before attempting more than 12 units as an NCFD, a student is encouraged to file an application for a degree program. Acceptance of any course work toward a graduate degree, including course work completed as an NCFD student, is at the discretion of the department. Because a graduate degree requires that the student complete a program of courses planned in consultation with an adviser, generally two-thirds or more of the course work must be completed after formal admission to the degree program. Consequently, a maximum of twelve units taken prior to admission to the program may be applied toward the completion of a degree.

Guest Transfer of Credit.Persons attending another graduate school who wish to take graduate courses at UW-Whitewater and transfer them to that institution may do so. The request for guest matriculate status form is to be completed by an official of the graduate school to which the units are to be transferred. The form certifies that the student is attending the other institution and states the provisions for approval of the work taken at UW-Whitewater toward the degree at the other institution. Students may download the Request for Guest Matriculate Status form at or contact the Graduate Studies Office.

Seniors Taking Graduate Courses. UW-Whitewater undergraduate students with senior status may be allowed to take at most six graduate units at UW-Whitewater provided they have completed at least 90 semester units with at least a 2.75 overall grade point average (or 2.90 over the last half of their course work), have the written recommendation of the department chairperson of their undergraduate major and have a graduate application on file in the Graduate Studies Office. Students may download this form at

Eligibility for this privilege must be established with the Graduate Studies Office and is not available to seniors at other institutions or students who already possess a bachelor's degree. Seniors may not use graduate-level units to satisfy requirements for the bachelor's degree, and undergraduate fees will be charged for their graduate-level work.

We recommend that you use Microsoft Excel to view this file. You may also use the free Microsoft Excel Viewer if you do not have Microsoft Excel installed.

Download Microsoft Excel Viewer


Application to Degree Programs. To apply for admission to a graduate degree program, individuals must:

  1. Submit a completed application and $56 application fee. Available at or from the Graduate Studies Office.
  2. All requests to transfer and/or apply previously taken graduate course work toward the degree requirements must be submitted at the time of application. Transfer credit forms may be obtained by visiting
  3. Submit an official degree-bearing transcript from the institution that granted the bachelor’s degree and that includes at least 60 semester hours of course work. If fewer than 60 semester hours of course work were completed at the degree-granting institution, additional transcripts will be required.
  4. In addition to the official bachelor's degree-bearing transcript, submit copies of transcripts for all undergraduate work that was applied to the bachelor's degree, if that course work was not included in the degree-bearing transcript. These transcripts may be unofficial copies and may be submitted by the applicant.
  5. Submit, directly from the granting institution, an official transcript showing completion of any master's or higher degrees.
  6. Submit, directly from the granting institution, official transcripts for any other graduate work completed, if the work is to be considered for transfer into the student's degree program. If official transcripts for previously completed graduate work are not provided at the time of application to the program, credit for that work cannot be transferred at a later date.
  7. Have official transcripts sent directly from the registrar's office at the institution where the work was completed to:

    School of Graduate Studies
    Roseman 2015 UW-Whitewater
    Whitewater, WI 53190.

    (Note: Transcripts from UW-Whitewater will be ordered by the Graduate School.)

    Transcripts faxed to UW-Whitewater or submitted personally by applicants will not be accepted.

    In the case of an institution in a foreign country that does not issue transcripts other than the single official copy presented to the student, a photocopy may be submitted provided that the applicant presents the official document for verification of authenticity at the Graduate Studies Office upon arrival at UW-Whitewater. A hold will be placed on their record until this is provided.

  8. Submit all other credentials (e.g., test scores, letters of recommendation, goal statement, autobiography) required for admission to the particular program for which admission is being sought.

  9. Submit an official "general" evaluation of all foreign educational credentials. (Contact Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc., P.O. Box 514070 Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470. (414) 289-3400. Or visit Approval for a different evaluator is at the discretion of the School of Graduate Studies.
  10. Arrange for an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score to be sent directly to the School of Graduate Studies if English is not the native language. A TOEFL score of 550 is required for admission into some degree programs and is strongly recommended by others.


    Arrange for admission into the Wisconsin English Second Language Institute (WESLI) in Madison, Wisconsin. Students must complete the institute's 700 level, including academic reading and writing, and academic listening and speaking skills, with a rating of "very good" or higher (3, 3+, or 4). Students must arrange to have these results and a recommendation from WESLI forwarded to the Graduate Office.


    Attend the Madison as a Second Language School (MESLS) and substitute an acceptable score from MESLS in lieu of the currently required TOEFL score. Students would need to successfully complete MESLS's advanced-level (level six) Speaking and Grammar, Reading & Writing, and Speaking & Listening courses, earning, at least, an "AB" average overall, and no lower than a "B" in any single course.

  11. Send a completed certification of finances form to the School of Graduate Studies to demonstrate that there is adequate financial support available during the planned period of study. Forms are located at
  12. Have a former professor send a letter of recommendation directly to the School of Graduate Studies attesting to the student's ability to pursue graduate study in the United States.

Reactivation. Applicants who do not enroll in graduate course work at UW-Whitewater within a calendar year of the beginning of the term for which they were admitted and students who have not enrolled in graduate course work within a calendar year are considered inactive. Inactive students and students who have completed their degree programs must update and reactivate their files by completing a reactivation form before they will be eligible to register for graduate courses. Forms are available at

Transfer of Credit.All course work, with the exception of up to nine units, must be completed at UW-Whitewater. Additional course work taken at other institutions may allow specific program requirements to be waived; however, no more than nine transfer units may be applied towards the units requirements of a degree program. Some specific consortium arrangements between UW-Whitewater and other institutions may allow more than nine units to be completed at the participating institutions.

Units for a course completed at another institution may be transferred to UW-Whitewater and applied toward a graduate degree provided (1) the institution offering the course is regionally accredited at the graduate level, (2) the course appears as a graduate course on the student's graduate transcript from the institution offering the course, (3) the course is applicable toward a graduate degree at the institution offering the course, (4) the course is appropriate for the student's proposed graduate degree program at UW-Whitewater, (5) the course is not a correspondence course, nor was it taught in a format less rigorous than that for UW-Whitewater courses, and (6) the student earned a grade of at least B (3.00) for the course (B- is less than a 3.00 and will not be transferable). All requests to apply course work taken by a student prior to being accepted into a degree program at UW-Whitewater toward the degree requirements must be included in the application for admission to the degree program.

Students who have already been admitted to a degree program here and who wish to take a course at another institution and have it transferred to UW-Whitewater, must obtain permission prior to enrolling in the course. Forms for this prior approval are available at The institution at which the student wishes to earn graduate credit may also require documentation of the student's graduate status at UW-Whitewater.

Questions for the comprehensive examination for the master's degree may be included from courses accepted in transfer to UW-Whitewater. Students should contact their degree Program Coordinator about this matter.

The 12 unit limit on courses taken prior to program admission does not apply to changes in emphasis within any of the degree programs.

Submission. All application credentials must be sent to the School of Graduate Studies, Roseman 2015, UW-Whitewater, Whitewater, Wisconsin 53190-1790.

Application Material Policy.Admission materials become the property of the University and are not returned to applicants or forwarded to other institutions.

Deadlines. Applications will not be processed until all of the above credentials have been received. All application material (including transcripts and other material that may be required) must be received at least 45 days prior to the start of classes to be considered for admission for a given term.

Please note: Individual programs may have earlier deadlines. Information on deadlines for specific degree programs is found in the Degree Programs section of this catalog.

In order to ensure receipt of all application materials by the deadline, applications should be submitted at least three months before the beginning of the term the applicant plans to attend. Applications received or completed fewer than 45 days prior to the start of classes will be considered for admission for the following term.

Students whose applications for program admission are pending may enroll in course work as noncandidate for degree students, but are subject to the twelve unit limit on course work that may be taken prior to the term of a program admission and then applied toward the completion of a degree.

Pending Degree-Bearing Transcripts. Application for admission will be considered during the applicant's last term of undergraduate study; however, admission will be conditional upon the applicant attaining the baccalaureate degree and meeting all the requirements for admission.

Acceptance. After application credentials have been evaluated, students will be notified of their admission status. If accepted into a degree program, they will be assigned an adviser and sent an admission letter. The letter will include an assigned student ID number and information on how to register for courses.

Advising. Students are assigned faculty advisers by, and generally within, their major or emphasis department. Advisers are available to help plan each student's program of study and to assist in the selection of courses before students register for classes.

Graduate students who seek state professional education licensure should also contact the Director of Licensure for current licensure requirements. See section on Admission to Professional Education in this catalog.


In addition to the graduate school academic requirements and policies, it is the prerogative of each graduate degree program to impose more stringent requirements. A graduate student is responsible for meeting all degree requirements in effect at UW-Whitewater during the term for which the student is admitted into the current degree program unless the student’s attendance at UW-Whitewater is interrupted by an absence of four or more consecutive academic sessions (including summers), in which case upon reentry, the student will be subject to the requirements in effect at that time.

General graduate school academic requirements and policies (contained in this section) may be changed by the actions of the Graduate Council. Each graduate student is responsible for adhering to all current graduate school policies. Students are apprised of updated graduate policies through the schedule of classes. Information about changes in general graduate school policies is also available at or contact the Graduate Studies Office.

Academic Probation. Students in degree programs who fail to maintain at least a 3.00 overall grade point average for all graduate work completed at UW-Whitewater are placed on academic probation. A student on academic probation must attain at least a 3.00 overall grade point average within the next 12 graduate units attempted at UW-Whitewater (including courses that are repeated) in order to be returned to good standing status. Failure to accomplish this will result in the student being dropped from the degree program with ineligibility to take further graduate work in that degree program.

Time Limit.Domestic students have seven years and International Students have two years in which to complete their degree program, measured from the beginning of the term in which the first course to be included in the degree was completed, but not later than the beginning of the term for which they were admitted. Based upon good cause, students may request an extension of this time limit. Such requests should be made in writing, should include the reasons for which the request is being made, and should be directed to the student’s degree Program Coordinator.
Requests for extensions not exceeding two additional years will be considered and acted upon by the faculty of the degree program or the degree Program Coordinator. Requests for extensions beyond two additional years will be considered, with the recommendation of the program coordinator, by the School of Graduate Studies. Requests for extensions beyond those additional two years will be considered only in cases of extreme and unavoidable hardship; such requests must also be acted upon by the Committee on Exceptions to Graduate Policy, and must carry the endorsement of the degree Program Coordinator. All student requests for extensions are reported by degree Program Coordinators to the Graduate Studies Office on the appropriate form.

Licensure. Many degree programs allow students to attain licensure within the degree program. However, licensure requirements are different from degree requirements. Questions about licensure should be directed to the Licensure Office. Please see the section on Admission to Professional Education in this catalog for more information.

Course Repeats. Graduate students are allowed to repeat at most two courses in their degree programs. Courses may be repeated only once. When a course is repeated, the original course and grade remain on the transcript; however, the last grade and units earned replace the originals and are the only ones used in computing the grade point average in the degree and emphasis. Students who have been dropped from a degree program may not use the course repeat process to gain readmission into that degree program.

Credit Restrictions.Undergraduate courses, including those taken to make up deficiencies in background or in supervised teaching, will not be counted toward the number of graduate units required for a degree. Undergraduate courses may not be used to satisfy master’s degree requirements, and graduate courses may not be used to satisfy undergraduate requirements at UW-Whitewater.
The minimum required overall grade point average for graduation will be 3.00. No course in the major or emphasis or any other required course in which a grade of below C (2.00) has been earned may be applied toward the completion of any degree. However, some programs may require higher standards.

During a semester, students may register for at most 15 units, while those on probation should not take more than 12 units. Graduate assistants must be registered for at least nine graduate units, but no more than 12 units each semester. During the 12-week summer session, students are limited to a total of 12 units. Courses taken on an audit basis are subject to the above limits.

A student may not carry more than three units of individual studies in a single term. Not more than four units in individual studies, not more than six units of special studies, and not more than a combined total of nine units of individual studies, workshops, and special studies may be applied toward the completion of a degree. Departments retain the prerogative of allowing fewer than nine of these types of units to apply toward their respective graduate degrees.

Course Retakes. A course taken for undergraduate credit may not later be changed to graduate credit. Courses taken for undergraduate credit may not be retaken for graduate credit. Although, exceptions may be granted by the student’s degree program coordinator when the field of knowledge has changed to the degree that the course content has changed substantially from the first time the student took the course to the present. Graduate courses may not be retaken unless indicated otherwise in the Graduate Catalog.

Appeals and Grievances. Exceptions, and Grade Appeals. Graduate students are responsible for meeting the terms and conditions of the School of Graduate Studies and the individual program requirements. Unusual circumstances may give rise to request specific exceptions to policy, provide grounds for filing a grievance, or provide a basis for appealing a grade. Each scenario has its own procedure.

Exceptions to Graduate Policy

In cases where exception to graduate school policies or other regulations seems justified, a student should follow this procedure:

  1. Request for specific exception to graduate school policy is presented by the student in writing to the graduate program coordinator of his/her program. This request should include clearly stated reasons that may justify an exception and should be submitted to the program at least 30 days before the term for which the request would be effective.
  2. The graduate program (or academic department) will forward the student’s request and the program’s recommendation regarding the request to the School of Graduate Studies.
  3. The School of Graduate Studies will convene the Committee on Exceptions to Graduate Policy for consideration of the request. (The Committee is made up of one graduate faculty representative from each of the four colleges and one graduate student representative.) Students will be notified of the Committee’s decision within one week.
  4. Actions by the Committee on Exceptions to Graduate Policy are binding. Decisions may be appealed to the Provost, in writing, within thirty days of the student being notified of actions/decisions. However, the Provost isn’t authorized to overturn a decision made by the Committee. The Provost can only request the Committee reconsider the decision.

Requests for exceptions involving college or department policies, procedures, or other academic matters, including those that supersede graduate school policy, will be resolved by the appropriate unit within the college. Such appeals are initiated by students through their advisers. Since NCFD students are not assigned an adviser, they may appeal directly to the college or department where the problem occurred. In either case, appropriate appeal procedures will then be followed as established by the individual college or department within the college.


A grievance is a request for specific action to solve a problem or redress an injury done to the individual presenting it. When that individual is a student and is responding to treatment received as a student, it is a student grievance. However, if a student wishes to challenge an academic decision that impacts their grade, the Student Grade Appeal procedures should be used.

A grievance may concern the actions taken by any UW-Whitewater employee who is a member of any college, department, office, administrative unit or committee of the University. A grievance may not necessarily be directed at a particular individual but rather at a policy or rule which the student believes to be unfair. The basis for a grievance is to raise a problem for the purpose of resolving it by the parties closest to it. This is true whether the issues involve an instructor, administrator, service personnel or members of any University department, college, division, administrative unit or committee.

A cause of action would involve a specific injury to the student or a specific problem. A remedy should be available. If no remedy is available or if punishment of someone is sought, the procedures for complaints rather than grievances should be used (see University Handbook, Sections VI-F and VI-A). Process timelines are established to enable review and resolution within a reasonable time after the problem occurred. This assists problem solving when memories and facts are still fresh. Written appeals and responses need not be lengthy but rather describe events, relevant facts and reasoning, so that parties are clear about what is at issue and why decisions are being made the way they are.

The following are the steps, both informal and formal, that the University has established relevant to the resolution of a grievance.

  1. Problem occurs.
  2. Within 14 calendar days, discuss it with the person whose actions are in question (informal).
  3. If no satisfaction, within 7 calendar days, talk it over with the Chair or supervisor of the person (informal).
  4. Chair/supervisor will attempt to resolve within 14 calendar days (informal).
  5. If no satisfaction, student has 7 calendar days to write it up as a formal grievance, including why dissatisfied with recommended resolution and propose a remedy (formal).
  6. Within 14 calendar days, the Dean or Director will attempt resolution or make the final decision (formal).

Grade Appeals

At the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater it is expected that instructors will evaluate students regularly and consistently by criteria and guidelines presented to students at the beginning of each grading period. If a student has reason to believe the grade is incorrect, the student may act on that by taking the following steps in chronological order. A complaint which is timely and filed under any other student complaint procedure and then referred for processing under these procedures, shall be
considered to have met the deadline for filing as a grade appeal. The process for filing a grade appeal is the same at the graduate and undergraduate levels, and begins with an informal process, before moving to a formal process.

Informal Process

  1. Consult the instructor whose grade is being appealed. This consultation must take place within 7 calendar days of start of classes after the grading period in question.
  2. If the student/instructor conference is unsatisfactory or if the instructor is unwilling or unable to participate, within 7 calendar days the student may schedule a conference with the chair of the department in which the course was offered.
  3. After hearing the student's appeal, the chair will attempt to resolve the problem within 7 calendar days.
  4. If this resolution is unsatisfactory, the student may then, within 7 calendar days after receiving the chairperson' response, submit a written appeal to the Department's Grade Appeals Committee through the chairperson. This will initiate the Formal Appeal Process.

Formal Process

  1. The appeal must be in writing and signed by the student.
  2. The Department Grade Appeals Committee will (i) convene to examine the appeal, the response and render its conclusion in writing to the chair, student and instructor, within 14 calendar days of receipt of the appeal. (ii) While the Grade Appeals Committee cannot require the instructor to change a student's grade, the Committee can recommend such a change to the instructor and to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies.
  3. Should the student wish to appeal beyond the department, the student may submit the Committee findings and the basis for the further appeal to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies, within 3 calendar days of presentation of Committee findings. The Dean will review the student's appeal and the findings of the Committee, and recommend appropriate action to the department and the instructor within 14 days of receipt of the appeal.
  4. If this action is unsatisfactory to the student, a final appeal may be made to the Provost who will determine whether a change in grade is to be made within 14 days of receipt of the appeal. The Provost is the only individual authorized to change a student grade without the instructor's permission. However, the Provost may change a grade only when the faculty department committee and the Dean support such a change.

Graduate student satisfaction with their educational experience remains a preeminent concern of the Office of Graduate Studies. Students who have questions, concerns or grievances about non-policy related issues are encouraged to contact the Office of Graduate Studies (262) 472-1006


Before the beginning of the term in which a degree is expected, students should meet with their advisers to make sure that all course requirements are being met. A student’s degree program coordinator is responsible for certifying that the student has met all of the academic requirements for graduation.

No student may receive a degree until all I and IP grades have been cleared and the student is in good standing with at least a 3.00 grade point average in the graduate level credits earned in the degree program and in the emphasis area.

Also, all financial obligations to the University must be cleared by the Accounting Office before students may be issued diplomas and final transcripts of their academic records.

Application for Graduation. Students must file applications for graduation and a diploma with the Graduate Studies Office within the first two weeks of the semester or the first week of the summer session in which they plan to graduate. An application for graduation also serves as an application for the comprehensive examination. Forms are available at or at the Graduate Studies Office.

A graduation fee must be paid no later than one month before the date of graduation regardless of whether or not students attend the voluntary commencement ceremony. The fee is payable to UW-Whitewater and should be sent to the Cashier's Office. The fee is published in the current schedule of classes. If a student fails to graduate during the intended term, a new application form for graduation must be filed in the subsequent term, although the graduation fee does not have to be paid again. An exit survey is required of all students completing a degree program.

Minimum Degree Credit Requirements to Graduate. All graduate degree programs at UW-Whitewater require at least 30 graduate units distributed according to the requirements of the individual programs. The minimum unit requirements and unit distribution for specific degree programs are stated in this catalog under program descriptions.

At least half of the graduate work in a degree program and at least half of the work in an emphasis within the program must be completed in courses numbered 700 or higher. In addition, a grade point average of at least 3.00 (B) overall in the graduate work taken toward the degree, as well as in all the graduate work taken in the student’s emphasis, is required for graduation.

Master Degree Program Options. At the discretion of the individual degree programs, the following options are available to students completing a master's degree:

Comprehensive examination option. A minimum of 30 unit hours of course work, including a comprehensive examination.

Thesis option. A minimum of 30 unit hours of course work, including a thesis taken for one to six units.

Applied research project option. A minimum of 30 unit hours of course work, including completion of an applied research project course for one to six units.

Course work option. Program specific.

Degree programs may set additional requirements for any of these plans. Students should check with their degree Program Coordinator for the options available and for the requirements within each option.

When options exist, students should consult their adviser early in their studies to determine which capstone experience best meets their needs. A thesis may be advised for those who wish to seek depth in an academic area, while those who prefer a breadth of knowledge may select comprehensive examinations.
Students formally declare the thesis option by registering for the course, 799 Thesis Research, after completing a Thesis Proposal Form online at and submitting it to the Graduate Studies Office.


Students declare the comprehensive examination option by submitting their graduation application and checking on the form that they plan to take the comprehensive examination.

After declaring an option, students are permitted to change options only once. Changing options penalizes students who have either prepared a thesis or invested time preparing for the comprehensive examination. Changes in options must occur before students have failed twice in their first option. Failure occurs when a student's comprehensive examination is adjudged a failure or at any time a student's thesis committee formally indicates failure.

Second Degree/Emphasis Policy. Students may not receive a master's degree from a degree program in which they already hold a master's degree, although they may complete a second emphasis within a degree program.

Comprehensive Examination. Students must complete a minimum of 30 unit hours of graduate course work and pass a comprehensive examination in the major or emphasis field under the comprehensive examination option. Examinations may be written and/or oral at the discretion of the degree program. Written examinations are intended to take approximately six hours to complete. Questions may cover any graduate work done in the major or emphasis, including units transferred from other institutions.

Comprehensive examinations are administered once near the end of each term. In general, students may not take the examination until during or after the final term of their course work. Exceptions may be made for students who have a practicum or a semester of student teaching remaining. To be eligible to take the examination, students must have cleared all pending incomplete (I) and progress (P) grades and must be in good standing with at least a 3.00 grade point average in the graduate level credits earned in the degree program and in the emphasis area.

Comprehensive examinations are graded either “passed” or “failed.” Students who fail the examination may retake it after completing additional work, as designated by those administering the examination, in a subsequent term. Students may retake comprehensive examinations at most twice after an initial failure and after the required additional work has been completed following each failure. Specific programs may have more stringent rules.

Thesis. The thesis option requires a minimum of 30 units of graduate course work including a thesis for which up to six units may be earned and applied toward the completion of course and credit requirements in the degree program. Because a thesis is a culminating experience for a degree, only students electing the thesis option within a degree program may register for 799 Thesis Research. Students wishing to pursue significant research projects outside of the thesis requirement for a degree may register for 798 Individual Studies. Students electing to write a thesis in a degree program must formally enroll and pay fees for at least one credit of 799 Thesis Research. Before being allowed to register for 799 Thesis Research, a student must submit to the Graduate Studies Office a thesis proposal form indicating the thesis topic, the proposed number of units, and the thesis adviser. This form, signed by the thesis adviser, must be on file before a student will be allowed to register for 799 Thesis Research. Enrollment and fee payment for 799 Thesis Research is done only once even though the thesis may require more than one term to complete. With the adviser's permission, in succeeding terms students may increase the number of thesis units up to the maximum of six by submitting a revised thesis proposal form, then adding and paying for the additional units. Students may download the thesis proposal form at

Theses vary in type, style, length, and content. They range from research projects to art exhibits. A thesis, however, must involve enrollment in 799 Thesis Research, an oral examination on the thesis, and the filing of the thesis in the Andersen Library. A thesis, including an art show, must have abstracts and are expected to contain evidence of research on the part of the student and must be submitted in a form and quality specified by the School of Graduate Studies. These standards and guidelines are available at the Graduate Studies Office and online at Unless a department informs the Dean of Graduate Studies in writing that it has adopted some other style manual, theses should be prepared according to the most current edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. Two copies of the thesis and its abstract must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies Office by the end of the term in which the student plans to graduate. One copy is the original thesis, typed or printed on rag paper. The thesis must not be hole punched. The second is an electronic copy in Portable Document Format (pdf). The Library has a copy of Adobe Acrobat accessible that students can convert their thesis from Word to pdf. Degrees are not conferred until these requirements have been met.

Students also must pass an oral examination over their thesis administered by an appointed thesis committee. The oral examination will be held in an open meeting, announced at least one week prior to the examination. A student’s committee will consist of a minimum of three persons, two of whom, including the committee chairperson, must have graduate faculty status. Committee members may be brought in from outside the faculty of the degree program. The majority of the thesis committee members must sign the signature page of the thesis, signifying acceptance by the committee of the thesis.

The thesis committee chair’s signature signifies successful completion of the oral examination.  

In general, students may not take the oral examination until
the term in which they expect to graduate. To be eligible to take the oral examination, students must have cleared all pending incomplete (I) and progress (IP) grades except for thesis research, and must be in good standing with at least a 3.00 grade point average in the graduate level units earned in the degree program and in the emphasis area.

All 799 Thesis Research courses are graded on a pass/fail (S/F) basis. A grade of pass (S) for 799 Thesis Research is not awarded until the oral examination is passed and the thesis is filed in the Graduate Studies Office.

A student who switches from a thesis option must have a revised program completion plan approved by the program coordinator. The School of Graduate Studies Office will then initiate a late drop or retroactive withdrawal, dropping any existing 799 Thesis Research units which show a grade of progress (IP). A withdraw (W) grade will be recorded.


UW-Whitewater FERPA Policy Statement FERPA - Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Interpretations of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (also known as FERPA or the Buckley Amendment) have important implications for the handling and releasing of student education record information by campus offices and school officials. FERPA applies to the “education records” (see next paragraph for definition) of “students”.

"Students" are defined as those individuals who have applied for formal admission to UW-Whitewater, were admitted, and are or have been enrolled in classes for credit at the University. FERPA does not apply to records of applicants for formal admission to the University who are denied acceptance or, if accepted, do not enroll in classes for credit. In addition, rights are not given by FERPA to students enrolled in one component of UW-Whitewater who seek to be admitted in another component (e.g., a student enrolled in an undergraduate degree program, but is denied admission to a graduate program, does not have any FERPA rights in the graduate program which denied him/her admission).

“Education records” are those records that are directly related to a student and that are maintained by the University or by a school official who serves the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including student employees or agents of the University, persons/companies with whom the University has contracted, persons serving on official campus committees, or persons assisting other school officials in performing their tasks).

FERPA indicates that "education records" do not include:

  • Sole possession records. Records of instructional, supervisory, administrative, and certain educational personnel which are in the sole possession of the maker and are not accessible or revealed to any other individual except a substitute who performs on a temporary basis the duties of the individual who made the records.

    Important exception: Notes taken in conjunction with any other person are not “sole possession records”. Sharing information with another person or placing information where it can be viewed by others makes it an “education record” and subject to FERPA.

  • Law enforcement unit records. Records maintained by a law enforcement unit of UW-Whitewater that were created by that unit for the purpose of law enforcement.

    Important exception: Placing law enforcement records where they can be viewed or accessed by others outside the law enforcement unit makes them “education records” and subject to FERPA.

  • Employment records. Records relating to individuals who are employed by UW-Whitewater which are made and maintained in the normal course of business and relate exclusively to individuals in their capacity as employees, and are not available for any other purpose.

    Important exception: Records of students who are employed as a result of their status as students are “education records” (e.g., work-study, graduate assistants) and subject to FERPA.

  • Doctor-patient privilege (medical) records. Records relating to a student which are (1) created or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional acting in his/her professional capacity or assisting in a paraprofessional capacity; (2) used solely in connection with the provision of treatment to the student; and (3) not disclosed to anyone other than individuals providing such treatment, so long as the records can be personally reviewed by a physician or other appropriate professional of the student’s choice.

  • Post-attendance records. Records that contain only information relating to a person after that person is no longer a student at UW-Whitewater (e.g., information gathered on the accomplishments of alumni).

    The essence of FERPA can be summarized by the following two points:

  • CONFIDENTIALITY – School officials must protect the privacy of education records and shall not disclose personally identifiable information about a student or permit inspection of the student’s records without his/her written consent unless such action is covered by certain exceptions permitted by FERPA. The student’s written, signed consent must:
    • Specify the records to be released;
    • Identify the party or class of parties to whom the records should be released;
    • Indicate the reason for the release.

    A consent form can be downloaded from the web at: (under the FERPA section, click on "Authorization to Release Records")

  • ACCESS - A student must be permitted to inspect his/her own education records (see "Student Access to Education Records" section for information about the process for inspecting education records). FERPA provides the student the right to:
    • Inspect and review his/her education records;
    • Request an amendment to the education records if he/she believes there is an inaccuracy;
    • Restrict the release of his/her "Directory Information" from public access;
    • File a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education is he/she feels the University has failed to follow FERPA guidelines. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is: Family Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW., Washington, D.C. 20202-4605.

Confidentiality of Student Education Records.

FERPA generally prohibits the release of confidential personally identifiable student data from education records, with limited exceptions that include “Directory Information” (see below), without the student’s written, signed consent.

Personally identifiable student data, other than “directory information” for students who have not restricted its release, are confidential. Examples of confidential information include, but are not limited to, ID number, social security number, date of birth, ethnicity, gender, country of citizenship, percentile ranks, class schedules (including meeting times and locations), grades, and grade point averages.

Parents have no inherent rights to inspect or receive information about their children’s education records. Parents of a dependent (as defined for federal income tax purposes) student may request their child’s education record information only after providing notarized copies of both the most recent federal income tax return filed that shows the student listed as a dependent and a letter of intent to claim the student as a dependent on the next federal income tax return. Absent this information, UW-Whitewater shall not disclose a student’s education record information to a parent without the written consent of the student.

FERPA provides certain exceptions for the release of personally identifiable education record information without the student’s written consent. These exceptions include:

  • Directory Information. UW-Whitewater determines the following to be student "directory information" which is available to the public if the student has not restricted its release:
  • Names, addresses (including email), and telephone numbers;
  • Dates of attendance (including term units carried and full-time/part-time status);
  • Classification (e.g. sophomore, senior, graduate student):
  • Major/minor/degree program;
  • Degrees conferred (including dates/anticipated dates);
  • Previous institution(s) attended;
  • Awards and academic honors
  • Participation in officially recognized sports and activities;
  • Physical factors (weight and height) of members of athletic teams.

A student has the right to restrict the release of his/her directory information. Any student who wishes to do so must complete and file the “Request To Prevent Disclosure Of Directory Information” form in the transcripts department of the Registrar’s Office, Baker Hall, lower level. The restriction will remain in effect until the student files written notification with the Registrar’s Office to have it removed. A student who has ceased attending UW-Whitewater, and whose directory information was not restricted in his/her last term of attendance, does not have the right to restrict the release of directory information until such time as he/she re-enrolls at the University.

"Legitimate Educational Interest". Personally identifiable education record information may be disclosed without the student's written consent to UW-Whitewater officials who are determined to have a "legitimate educational interest" - a right to know and a need to know (i.e., the information is necessary to fulfill the official's professional responsibility to UW-Whitewater). Legitimate educational interest means there is an educationally related purpose that has a directly identifiable educational relationship to the student involved and underlies the request. The following criteria shall be taken into account in determining the legitimacy of a UW-Whitewater school official's access to records:

  • The official must seek the information within the context of his/her professionally assigned University responsibilities;
  • The information sought must be used within the context of official University business;
  • The information requested must be relevant and necessary to the accomplishment of some task or to make some determination within the scope of the official's University employment.

Disclosure of education record information to a school official having a legitimate educational interest does not constitute institutional authorization for that school official to transmit, share, or disclose any or all of that information to a third party. A disclosure of personally identifiable information from the education record of a student, without the student’s written consent, is prohibited unless the disclosure meets one of the specific exceptions cited in FERPA as outlined in the following section.

Education record information may be disclosed without the student's written consent in the following instances:

a) To the student.

b) If it is "Directory Information" and the student has not restricted its release.

c) If properly subpoenaed pursuant to a judicial, legislative, or administrative proceeding, provided UW- Whitewater will make a reasonable attempt to notify the student of the subpoena, in cases where FERPA applies, prior to the release of the information.

d) In connection with the student's application or receipt of financial aid as necessary to determine the eligibility, amount or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms or conditions of the aid.

e) In connection with audits or evaluation of federal or state supported educational programs requiring disclosure of information.

f) To effect collection of past due financial obligations to the University.

g) To attorneys representing the University when the data on the student is deemed necessary for the defense of the University in a suit filed by the student.

h) To schools in which the student seeks or intends to enroll.

i) To authorized representatives of the Comptroller General of the United States, the Attorney General of the United States, the Secretary of the Department of Education, or state or local educational authorities.

j) To the Veterans Administration to determine compliance with educational assistance.

k) To organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of the University.

l) In connection with a health or safety emergency as determined by the University.

m) In connection with a crime of violence or a nonforcible sex offense. The University has the discretion to disclose the final results of any disciplinary proceeding against a student who is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a nonforcible sex offense if, as a result of that disciplinary proceeding, the University has determined that the student in fact committed the crime or offense. The definition of "final results" is limited solely to the name of the student, the violation committed, and any sanction imposed by the University on that student. Only where a victim or witness has provided written consent may the University disclose the name of that student.

n) The University may disclose to a student's parent or legal guardian information regarding any drug or alcohol violation (whether pursuant to federal, state, or local law or institutional policy) where the student is under 21 years of age and the University has determined the student has committed a disciplinary violation.

UW-Whitewater school officials conducting research using student education records will be asked to explain the use of the records in writing. Student organizations that need confidential information about their members must obtain the signatures of all members on a form explaining how the information is to be used (the signatures must be obtained before the information will be released).

School officials who have access to student education record information assume the legal responsibility for protecting the privacy and security of the information.

Student Access to Education Records. The student will have access to education records directly related to him/her that are maintained by the University, or any of its agents, and to which FERPA applies.

A student may request access to review and inspect his/her education records by writing to the University official (registrar, dean, department chair, or other appropriate person/office) responsible for the records. The written request must indicate the records the student wishes to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct person/office to whom the request should be addressed and it becomes the student’s responsibility to submit the request to that person/office. Upon receipt of the written request, the University has 45 days to comply. FERPA does not provide the student with the right to access certain records, including:

i. Sole possession records

ii. Parents' financial records used for financial aid purposes;

iii. Confidential letters and statements of recommendation placed in the student's record prior to January 1, 1975, or confidential recommendations to which the student has given prior written waiver of access and which are used for job placement, admission, or award purposes;

iv. Law enforcement unit records;

v. Certain employment records;

vi. Doctor-patient privilege (medical) records;

vii. Post-attendance records.

A student has the right to request an amendment of his/her education record that is believed to be inaccurate. However, FERPA was not intended to provide a process to be used by the student to question substantive judgments that are correctly recorded. The FERPA rights of challenge are not intended to allow a student to contest, for example, a grade in a course because he/she felt a higher grade should have been assigned. FERPA is intended to ensure the factual and accurate nature of the information in the student's educational records and the student's right to verify that information.

In those cases where FERPA intended to provide a student the right to request an amendment to an education record, the student should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record s/he wants changed, and specify why it is inaccurate. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of this right.

In the process of challenging the education record information, the student may wish to have copies of appropriate documents in his/her education record file. The University may assess the student a reasonable per copy fee for such documents. This charge does not apply to copies of the student’s official academic transcript (there is a $5.00 charge for each official transcript). A request for a
copy of any document in an education record will be denied if the student has a hold/service indicator on his/her records that prevents the release of the official academic transcript, or if the document is a transcript of an original or source document which exists elsewhere.

If UW-Whitewater decides, as a result of a hearing, not to amend the education record in accordance with the student’s request, the student may place a written statement in the record commenting upon the information therein, and/or setting forth any reason for disagreement with the institutional decision not to amend the record. Such a statement will become part of the student’s education record and will be disclosed with it.

The student has a right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by UW-Whitewater to comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Use of Human Subjects in Research. Federal law and University policy requires that all research projects involving human subjects be designed as much as possible to protect the rights of the participants. This pertains to projects for classes on research methodology, independent studies, and thesis research. Prior to initiation of the work, each proposal involving human subjects and its provisions for their protection must be reviewed and approved by the Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects (IRB). This includes surveys. Research that has not been reviewed and approved by the IRB will not be covered by the UW-Whitewater liability insurance.

It is the policy of UW-Whitewater that all research shall be conducted under the supervision of a qualified faculty or staff member. Therefore, all students must submit a complete IRB protocol review form signed by the faculty advisor.

All IRB forms and guidelines can be obtained from the Research and Sponsored Programs Office, 2023 Roseman; or from the web Call (262) 472-5212 with questions and document requests.

Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. All students involved in research-related care and use of animals and all facilities used for such animals must operate within the guidelines of federal and campus regulations. Copies of pertinent materials may be obtained from Research and the Sponsored Programs Office, 2023 Roseman, (262) 472-5212 or from the web  


Registration. Official registration for any session is accomplished only after students have been admitted and granted permission to register by receiving an admission letter from the Graduate Studies Office and have completed the registration process via WINS. Students may not attend a course/section without properly registering for it or adding it to their class schedule. Registration may not be permitted for any session after the last date of registration. The University reserves the right to close registration before the deadline if its enrollment capacity has been reached. Visit the Registrar's home page for questions on registering

Schedule of Classes. Published each term by the Registrar’s Office, it includes all policies, procedures, courses offered with their requisites, and other information pertinent to registration. Online viewing at

Changes in Registration. Students who intend to make a change to their class schedule, including withdrawal from the University, are subject to the procedures, deadlines, and fee refund policies that are printed in the Schedule of Classes for the given term. Failure to follow the procedures and meet the deadlines may result in students receiving failing grades for not completing the course work and/or responsibility for payment of tuition/fee charges.

In general, students may not add a course after the first week of classes in a regular academic term. If a student drops a course after the tenth day of the Fall or Spring term, a "W" grade will be recorded on the student's academic record (deadline prorated for shorter terms/sessions-see Schedule of Classes). After the sixth week in a regular academic term, or after 33% of the class days have passed in Summer session(s) or a Winterim term, drops are only processed through the instructor by appeal. Forms for late dropping of a course after the deadline are available in departmental offices or online at

Students who want to completely terminate their study during a term, even if they are registered for only one course, will need to file a withdrawal form. Withdrawal from the University means complete separation from all courses, residence halls, food service and related student activities for the term; however, the student's files remain active per the guidelines detailed in the section entitled Application Process. Withdrawal can be done by sending an email to or by completing the withdrawal form at the Registrar's Office. The deadline to withdraw from the University is published in the Schedule of Classes.

Course.Courses at UW-Whitewater are designated by an abbreviated subject name of the department that is offering the course and by a three digit course number. The three digit number indicates the level of the course. Courses numbered 500 or higher are graduate courses, where as those numbered under 500 are undergraduate courses.

Grading System.Students may earn regular grades of A, AB, B, BC, C, D, and F in graduate courses. Grading is based upon a 4.00 system: each term unit of A is assigned four grade points, each term unitt of AB is assigned 3.5 grade points, each term unit of B is assigned three grade points, etc. Students’ degree grade point averages and their grade point averages in a major or emphasis area are calculated upon the graduate course work attempted at UW-Whitewater. Students’ overall UW-Whitewater grade point
averages (shown on transcripts) are calculated solely upon all the graduate course work attempted at UW-Whitewater.

In addition to the regular grades mentioned above, instructors may assign special grades in certain situations. A grade of S denotes the student has passed a graduate level course taken on a pass/fail basis. Students registered for a course on this basis receive either an S or an F. While grades of F count in computing grade point averages, S grades do not. Instructors decide what constitutes pass for their courses. Students should request the criteria prior to the deadline for changing registration (see the term's Schedule of Classes for course change deadlines). All 799 Thesis Research courses are graded on a pass/fail basis. Workshops may be taken on a pass/fail basis. Other courses made available by departments on a pass/fail only basis are so indicated in advance in the Schedule of Classes. Since the decision on whether a course taken on a pass/fail basis will count in a degree program rests with the degree program, students should attain appropriate permission from the degree program coordinator prior to taking a course pass/fail.

A grade of NC indicates an unsuccessful attempt of a practicum graded on a satisfactory/no credit basis. This grade differs from an F in that it is not computed in the grade point average.

In courses designed to extend beyond the term of registration, e.g., thesis research, instructors may assign a grade of IP to indicate "in progress" toward completion. In courses not designed to extend beyond the term of registration, instructors may assign a grade of I to indicate a student’s course work was incomplete due to documented extenuating circumstances. Neither IP nor I grades are calculated into the term or cumulative grade point averages. An I grade is accompanied by a signed contract in which the instructor specifies the work to be completed by the student. A IP or I grade is replaced by a regular grade when the course work is completed. The grade point average for the term in which the course was registered, as well as for subsequent terms, and cumulative grade point averages will then be retroactively computed using the regular grade replacement. A regular grade cannot be changed to an IP or I on a temporary basis. With the exception of 799 Thesis Research, course work must be completed within one calendar year from the time the IP or I grade was assigned. The Registrar's Office automatically changes an
IP or I grade to an F when the work has not been completed by the deadline. Students may petition instructors for extensions of this deadline. Instructors granting extensions will then inform the Registrar’s Office.

A grade of NN is recorded by the Registrar’s Office when an instructor does not report a grade for a student officially registered for the course. The student must take the initiative to remove or change any IP, I, or NN grades.
The grading symbol for audit is X. This grade is not calculated in the grade point average and no credit is earned in courses registered under this option.  

Absences.The notifying of instructors and arranging of
A student who is absent should notify instructors by phone or in person of the absence as soon as possible and explain the nature of the situation and inquire about the effect of the absence on the student's course work. If contact with the instructors cannot be made directly, the student should call the academic departments involved. In serious situations where the student is incapacitated and temporarily unable to perform the aforementioned responsibilities, family members may contact the Office of New Student Programs & First Year Experience (phone 262-472-3205) for assistance with these matters. The New Student Programs & First Year Experience office would then provide notification (not verification) of the absence to the instructors involved; however, arrangements for makeup work, makeup exams or possible assignment adjustments are entirely the responsibility of the student. The Student Health Service and the New Student Programs & First Year Experience offices do not provide excuses for absences from class due to illness. If students have questions or need consultation regarding specific situations, they are encouraged to contact their instructors or the academic department involved.

Permanent Academic Record.A permanent academic record will be maintained in the Records Department of the Registrar’s Office. Students share in the responsibility for the accuracy of their records. Each term’s final grades should be reviewed carefully on WINS (grade reports are not mailed) and the Registrar’s Office should be contacted immediately if there are any errors. No changes will be made to course entries that are not appealed within two years of the posting date, and changes will not be made to a record after a degree is officially entered.

Add/Drop Policies and Procedures. Students who participate in priority registration may make schedule changes online via WINS through the deadline date (see Schedule of Classes). The last day to add a 17-week course is the fifth day of the term. The last day to add a short course (or 8-week course) is the second day of the term/session. Students must have written approval of the dean of the course to add a class after the last day to add a class has passed. Students may drop courses through the sixth week of the Fall/Spring Term. Short-term courses may be dropped through Friday of the week in which 33% of the course is completed. Drops must be done through WINS. There may be a charge for any course dropped after the first week of a term. Also refer to the Standards of Academic Progress in the Schedule of Classes located online at

A “W” grade will appear on student academic records (transcripts) for all full-term Fall or Spring courses dropped after the tenth day of instruction (the deadline is prorated for short-term or Summer term classes). This “W” grade notation will also appear on the records of students who withdraw from the University after the tenth day.

It is the student’s responsibility to officially drop any class in which he/she is registered and will not be attending. Failure to do so will subject the student to academic and/or financial penalties. Deadlines for dropping classes are published in the Schedule of Classes.
Audit Policy. Audit courses require the written permission of the instructor (and, in some cases, the department). Students registering for audit courses may do so on a space available basis and cannot change the courses to graded basis during the course of enrollment.

Off-campus courses, College of Business and Economics courses, and Distance Education courses cannot be audited. Auditing of Art department courses may be limited.

Audit-Only Enrollees: Students who are auditing courses only may do so under the following stipulations:

  1. Wisconsin residents (Wis Stats 36-27 (2)) will pay 30% of the normal per unit resident academic fee and nonresidents will pay 50% of the normal nonresident fee per the fee chart. No audit fees will be assessed disabled Wisconsin residents who are receiving federal old age survivors and disability insurance benefits (OASDI) under 42 USC 401 to 433.
  2. Students will register on a space available basis with departmental permission in the week immediately prior to the start of classes. Remedial English 090) and mathematics (MATH 040 and MATH 041) may not be taken as audit-only.
    Note: Auditing of Art Department courses may be restricted. Contact the department for restrictions.
  3. Any special course fees other than the normal tuition charges will be assessed and paid by the student.
  4. Students registering under this option cannot change their courses to a credit grade basis during the term of enrollment.
  5. An audit (X) symbol will be recorded on the academic record provided the instructor reports satisfactory attendance.
  6. A fee of approximately $2.50 per unit will be assessed for required texts.
  7. Access to University services will be limited to the library and to nonsegregated fee funded activities of the University Center. A special identification card will be issued for auditors which will permit this limited access.
  8. Regent, University, and Student Government regulations applying to other students will apply equally to audit-only enrollees.

Audit and Unit Combination Enrollees: Students who are taking a combination of courses for regular credit and for audit will pay the regular fees for all units based upon the fee chart. The following stipulations will also apply:

a. The decision to audit must be finalized and recorded by the tenth day of classes for 16 or 17-week courses and by the end of the second class day for shorter courses.

b. No unit will be granted for the audit course, but an audit (X) symbol will appear on the academic record, provided the instructor reports satisfactory attendance.

c. The audit course may be repeated for unit in another term.

d. Audits do not count as units for either veteran benefit certification or financial aid consideration.

Withdrawal from the University. Students who find it necessary to leave the University while the term for which they are registered is still in session should report to the Registrar's office and initiate a withdrawal form. Please call the Registrar's office if questions arise at (262) 472-1570.

The following conditions apply:

a. If the withdrawal is initiated within the first ten class days of the fall/spring term, there will be no academic penalty.

b. If the withdrawal is after the tenth day of classes in a Fall/Spring Term or fifth day in summer session, "W" grades will be recorded for each of the courses in which the student is enrolled at the time of withdrawal.

c. If withdrawal is after the tenth day of classes, but the student was enrolled for six or more units on the tenth day, a whole or a partial Fall/Spring Term of eligibility will have been lost for financial aid.

d. The last day to withdraw from the University is 15 days prior to the end of the Fall/Spring Term (exam days included) and as published in Calendar announcements for all other terms.

e. Withdrawals processed after the last day to withdraw will result in the student receiving grades of "F" in those courses which are not being passed at the time of withdrawal, and the student may be suspended for not meeting the minimum grade point requirement.

f. Withdrawal does not affect the academic progression warning policy, but it may affect financial aid eligibility.

Failure to officially withdraw when leaving the University may result in students receiving failing grades in those courses for which they were enrolled. This may cause a problem in an attempt to return to the University or transfer to another institution. If students must withdraw for medical reasons, they may petition to have a portion of their academic charges reduced. The appeal process is initiated in the Office of Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs.


Course Currency Policy. Graduate courses that have not been offered for the four calendar years immediately preceding the issuance of a new catalog are dropped from the list of approved courses. The term “offered” is defined as (1) a course wherein there has been actual enrollment and wherein instruction has occurred (in cross-listed courses, enrollment in any version will meet this criterion for all versions) or (2) a course which during the semester immediately preceding catalog issuance has been scheduled for registration. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Graduate Council.

Course Repeat Policy.A course may not be taken for credit more than once unless it is identified in the catalog as a course that may be repeated for credit. If it is repeatable, the limitations of the number of times or maximum number of units that may be applied to the program or degree units may be indicated. This policy applies to both courses taken in residence at UW-Whitewater and courses accepted in transfer from another institution.

Special Courses.These courses are available on a selected basis through most of the academic departments. The course descriptions are common to all departments. However, the prerequisites and the number of units permitted in certain programs may differ. Note the limitation of units for degree/programs identified in the Catalog.

Group activity oriented presentations emphasizing “hands on” and participatory instructional techniques. Workshops have as their primary goal the imparting of either a specialized knowledge base regarding an instructional strategy or method or a specific skill. Presentations which are more broadly-based in content or intensive study and/or research procedures are not to be offered under a workshop number or title.

A planned and directed group excursion involving extensive academically-focused travel, usually conducted in a foreign country.

Group Activity. An advanced course of study in a defined subject matter area emphasizing small groups in intense study with a faculty member.

Group activity. Not offered regularly in the curriculum but which is offered on topics selected on the basis of timeliness, need and interest, and generally in the format of regularly scheduled bulletin offerings.

Group activity oriented presentations emphasizing “hands on” and participatory instructional techniques. Workshops have as their primary goal the imparting of either a specialized knowledge base regarding an instructional strategy or method or a specific skill. Presentations which are more broadly based in content or intensive study and/or research procedures are not to be offered under a workshop number or title.

Individual activity. Provides planned practical experience in a prescribed area with an agency and under the supervision and cooperative direction of faculty and agency person.

Group activity. An advanced course of study in a defined subject matter area emphasizing small groups in intense study with a faculty member.

Group activity. Not offered regularly in the curriculum but which is offered on topics selected on the basis of timeliness, need and interest, and generally in the format of regularly scheduled bulletin offerings.

Individual activity focusing on areas of special interest for a variable number of credits under the sponsorship of an interested faculty member involving minimal external guidance.

Guided investigation of an approved thesis topic. Students may receive credit for research activities planned in conjunction with their advisers and leading to the completion of a master’s degree.

ACADEMIC FEES Academic fees are set by the Board of Regents of the UW-System and are subject to change by the Board without notice. Click this link to view fees.

For the purpose of fee calculation and enrollment verification, the university considers a graduate student to be registered on a full-time basis when the student in enrolled in at least nine (9) units during a fall or spring term and at least five (5) units during the summer term. In accordance with federal regulations, a graduate student must be enrolled in a minimum of nine (9) units in any term (i.e., fall, spring, summer) to be considered full-time for financial aid purposes.

Room and Board. The cost of housing and meals varies greatly with different types of living accommodations and with individual life styles. However, the following information is provided as an indication of what students might expect to pay if they were to live on campus. For the fall semester of the 2005-2006 academic year, the cost of a double occupancy room in a residence hall was $1220. The cost of a meal plan offering 19 meals per week is $815. Prices are subject to change without notice.

Textbooks. Graduate students pay no textbook rental fees and are expected to purchase texts and other instructional materials that are assigned in courses. The University’s Textbook Rental Service is not authorized to rent books to graduate students. The University Bookstore (Moraine Hall) sells graduate texts and other course materials. Students should check with the instructor of the course for the needed materials and textbooks. Since text requirements differ widely, no attempt is made here to estimate textbook purchase costs.

Fee Payments. UW-Whitewater offers two methods to pay fees:

(1) Payment in full. Students may pay all fees (academic, room, food) in full by the billing due date for advance registrants. If they register after the advance registration process, students should pay in full at the same time they register. Failure to receive a bill will not relieve students from making payments by the required due dates.

(2) University Installment Credit Plan. If electing to use the installment plan, students must fulfill the following requirements:

A) They must have a signed Installment Credit Agreement on file with the University and make a $100.00 down payment on their student account.

B) The balance of the financial obligation plus a FINANCE CHARGE AT AN ANNUAL RATE OF 15% (1 1/4% monthly periodic rate) on the balance. Billing statements are mailed to the student's local address as filed with the Office of the Enrollment Services; however, failure to receive a statement in no way relieves a student from the obligation to make timely payments.

C) Failure to have a signed Installment Credit Agreement on file will result in administrative charges up to $75 if fees are not paid in full during the registration fee payment process.


State Residency. Students who have been a bona fide resident of the State of Wisconsin for one full year prior to the beginning of the term of their enrollment are exempt from payment of nonresident tuition. Also, applicants who have been continuously employed full time in this state, and were relocated to Wisconsin by their current employer; or applicants who moved to Wisconsin for employment purposes and accepted current employment before applying for admission to UW-Whitewater, may, along with their spouse and dependents, be exempt from the payment of nonresident fees provided the person making the application demonstrates an intent to establish and maintain a permanent home in Wisconsin.

In addition, persons may qualify as bona fide residents if they meet any of the following criteria:

  • nonresident members of the armed forces (family included) stationed in the state, or members of the armed forces who reside in Wisconsin and are stationed at a federal military installation located within 90 miles of the borders of Wisconsin;
  • graduates of a Wisconsin high school whose parents have been bona fide residents of the state 12 months prior to the beginning of the semester of enrollment, or whose last surviving parent was a bona fide resident of the state 12 months preceding his/her death;
  • adult students who have been employed as migrant workers in the state for at least 2 months each year for 3 of the 5 years preceding the beginning of any semester or session for which they register at a university or center, or for at least 3 months each year for 2 of the 5 years preceding the beginning of the semester of enrollment;
  • official refugees who moved to the state immediately upon arrival in the United States and who have resided in the state continuously; or
  • minors or dependent adult students provided one or both parents have been bona fide residents of the state for at least 12 months preceding the beginning of the semester of enrollment.

Intent to become a bona fide resident may be demonstrated or disproved by factors including, but not limited to, filing of Wisconsin income tax returns, eligibility to vote in Wisconsin, motor vehicle registration in Wisconsin, possession of a Wisconsin operator's license, place of employment, and self support.

However, applicants who enter and remain in this state principally to obtain an education are presumed to continue to reside outside this state, and such presumption continues in effect until rebutted by clear and convincing evidence of bona fide residence.

Minnesota-Wisconsin Reciprocity. This agreement allows Minnesota residents to pay a reduced nonresident fee to attend a Wisconsin university. Arrangements to participate in this program may be made by filing an online application with the State of Minnesota Higher Education Services Office, Reciprocity Program, 1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350, St. Paul, MN, 55108-5227. (Telephone: (651) 642-0533 or 1-800-657-3866; website


Graduate Assistantships. UW-Whitewater has a limited number of graduate assistantships for selected full-time graduate students. To be eligible for consideration, individuals must be enrolled in a graduate degree program at UW-Whitewater in good standing status. Graduate assistants must register for at least nine graduate credits, but no more than 12 credits, each semester.

Students receiving full assistantship awards are expected to perform 20 hours of service per week. Work loads for partial awards are reduced proportionately. Duties will involve assignments such as laboratory assistant, research assistant, the preparation of materials for instruction, or other assignments of an academic nature.

The amount of a full assistantship award for the 2005-2006 academic year was $9,633. The award amount and availability of graduate assistantships for subsequent years is contingent upon funding being appropriated from the Wisconsin State Legislature, and is subject to change. All students who receive at least 2/3 of a full assistantship for an academic year or one semester will qualify for fringe benefits (such as health, dental, and life insurance). When funds are available, out-of-state students who receive at least 2/3 of a full assistantship for an academic year or for one semester will be eligible for a remission of the nonresident portion of tuition costs for the corresponding time period. In addition, the out-of-state portion of the fees may be waived for the summer session if the student received at least 2/3 of a full assistantship award for the preceding spring semester.

New applicants for degree programs must complete and return an application for admission and may apply for a graduate assistantship. Students who have already been admitted to a graduate degree program should submit only an application for a graduate assistantship. Completed application forms should reach the Graduate Studies Office by March 15 of the preceding year for first consideration. Recipients will be notified in writing and issued an employment contract as early as possible.

Nonresident Fee Remission. Applicants must have a "nonresident" status, enrolled in a graduate degree program in "good standing" and registered for at least eight (8) graduate units in the semester seeking a remission (at least five (5) during summer term). Applicants must not be under contract as a graduate assistant or, if working as a graduate assistant, under contract for less than 14 hours per week. Online MBA students are not eligible. Please visit for application materials.

Graduate Research Grants. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater recognizes the importance of basic and applied research in the graduate experience and supports such initiatives by making small research grants available. Grants up to $750 will be awarded to single or multiple-student research projects that involve supervision by a member of the graduate faculty. Funds may be used for travel, supplies, photocopying, long-distance calls, or wages for student help (other than the student investigator[s]), and/or for the dissemination of project results (e.g., travel to present findings at professional meetings, costs of publication).

Advanced Opportunity Program (AOP) Awards. The purpose of AOP is to expand the number of minority/disadvantaged students who receive graduate degrees from UW-Whitewater. To be eligible for an AOP award, individuals must be (1) U.S. citizens or permanent residents at the time of application and (2) members of traditionally under-represented minority groups (Black, Hispanic, American Indian/Alaskan Native or statutorily designated Southeast Asian) or nonminority/disadvantaged students. Individuals who are residents of the State of Wisconsin and members of the aforementioned minority groups are given highest priority for receiving AOP awards.

The amount of a full AOP award for the 2005-2006 academic year was $7,000. The award amount for subsequent years is contingent upon funding being appropriated from the Wisconsin State Legislature, and is subject to change. Out-of-state students who receive AOP awards are also eligible for a remission of the nonresident portion of tuition costs for the time period of the award.

Additional information and application forms are available by contacting the Office of the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Support Services, 226 McCutchan Hall, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Whitewater, WI 53190-1790. Phone: (262) 472-4985.

Financial Aid. Annual completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required to be considered for most aid. Financial assistance is basically available to UW-Whitewater graduate students in the form of loans and employment. These aid types make up a financial aid package. The various forms of financial aid available for graduate students are listed below. The terms and conditions are those in effect at the time of publication of this catalog and are subject to change without notice.

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR). DVR assistance may be available to students having some type of disability. Vocational Rehabilitation is a Division of the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development. Students should contact their local DVR counselor in addition to filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Perkins Loan. A limited number of Federal Perkins Loans are available to graduate students who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States who have borrowed their maximum amounts in the Federal Direct Loan(s) Programs. Awards are based on availability of funds. Students must be enrolled at least half time (4.5 units) and demonstrate financial need to be eligible. Students may borrow a total of $40,000 for undergraduate and graduate study combined. Borrowers must sign a note for the loan which is interest free as long as they are enrolled at least half time at any eligible institution. Repayment of the principal plus 5% interest per year begins nine months after students leave school or graduate. The repayment period is 10 years.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Subsidized).The Federal Direct Stafford Loan enables undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at least half time to borrow directly from the federal government. To be eligible, students must demonstrate financial need. The school determines financial need based on the information provided on the FAFSA. The federal government pays the interest on these loans while students are in school and during certain periods, such as grace and deferment (a postponement of repayment).

Graduate students are eligible to receive up to $8,500 per year in a subsidized Direct Loan, and $10,000 in a unsubsidized Direct Loan. There is a $65,500 cumulative total for undergraduate and graduate study.

Federal Direct Loans are interest free until six months after graduation or the time the student leaves school or ceases to be enrolled on a half-time basis. An origination fee is assessed at the time the loan is made. Interest rates are variable and are adjusted each year on July 1. The interest rate cannot exceed 8.25%.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Unsubsidized). To be eligible, students do NOT need to demonstrate financial need. However, students are obligated to pay all interest even while enrolled, which differs from the subsidized loan. Graduate students are eligible to receive up to $10,000 in this program or up to $18,500 in combination of both programs (subsidized and unsubsidized).

Federal Work-Study Employment. The Federal Work-Study program is a federally funded financial aid program available to citizens or permanent residents of the United States. To be eligible, students must (1) receive a Federal Work-Study allocation as a part of the financial package and (2) be enrolled at least half time (4.5 graduate units) or have been accepted for such enrollment. Federal Work-Study employment is typically on campus, and work schedules are set up around classes. Students are encouraged to participate in the many community-service related activities available. Typical on-campus jobs include clerical work; assisting in the library, laboratories, or computer labs; tutoring; and child care assistance. During the summer or other vacation periods when students do not have classes, they may work a maximum of 40 hours per week. In general, the basic pay is the prevailing minimum wage. Proceeds from Federal Work-Study employment paid directly to the student are not automatically subtracted from the student bill.

Regular Student Payroll. Each year hundreds of on-campus part-time jobs are made available by UW-Whitewater. Jobs (similar to Federal Work-Study positions) in university offices, laboratories, or other facilities can be applied for by any student enrolled on at least a halftime (4.5 graduate units) basis. In addition to advertising on Cable 19 the Financial Aid Office website has a link under the "Student Employment" tab called "Student Jobline." Follow the "Student Jobline Directions" to get to the exact location of both on and off-campus part-time or temporary employment opportunities. Students do not need to apply for financial aid to work on the "Regular Payroll".

Food Service Employment. The private company which contracts to provide food services to UW-Whitewater hires approximately 300 students each year to work in the dining halls and for its catering service. Contact them directly for more information.

Off-Campus Employment. Each year the Financial Aid Office lists many part-time jobs in private homes, businesses, and industries in the Whitewater area. These openings are listed via the Cable TV Channel 19 "Student Jobline." Students on foreign student visas (F-1's) are not eligible for off-campus employment without special permission.

In addition to advertising on Cable 19, the Financial Aid Office website has a link under the "Student Employment" tab called "Student Jobline." Follow the "Student Jobline Directions" to get to the exact location of both on and off-campus part-time or temporary employment opportunities.

Advanced Opportunity Program Grants. AOP grants are intended for African American, Latino, American Indian, designated Southeast Asian, and disadvantaged graduate students. Both Wisconsin residents and nonresidents are eligible, although preference is given to Wisconsin residents. Full-time and part-time graduate students are eligible. For more information students may contact Academic Support Services at (262) 472-4985.

Application for Financial Aid. To apply for financial aid at UW-Whitewater the application process is as follows: Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit it to Federal Student Aid Programs. Continuing students may file a Renewal Application with the Federal Student Aid Programs, which will require only updating certain data elements instead of completing an entire application again. The FAFSA is available at the Financial Aid Office.

Students may also apply for federal student aid via the internet, the preferred method to apply for student aid. The FAFSA website is:

The FAFSA must be completed after January 1 of the new year for the following fall once the federal income tax returns for the previous year are completed. Students should submit the FAFSA by the priority date of March 15. Applications submitted after March 15 may be too late for many aid programs.

The student must be accepted for admission before the application will be considered. It is the applicant's responsibility to submit all requested documentation on a timely basis. The status of the student's application can be determined by calling Financial Aid at (262) 472-1130.

Summer Term.To apply for summer term financial aid, students must complete a Summer Term Application which is available in the Financial Aid Office during the spring semester. In addition, the current academic year FAFSA must be completed no later than the spring semester (if not already on file). Graduate students must be enrolled for at least 4.5 units to be eligible for aid.

For more detailed information, please contact the Financial Aid Office, 130 Hyer Hall, UW-Whitewater, Whitewater, WI 53190-1790.

Satisfactory Academic Progress. To comply with current federal regulations, the Financial Aid Office at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater will monitor the progress of students toward degree completion requirements. In order to receive and continue to receive financial aid, students must comply with the following three components of satisfactory progress:

•Minimum grade point average
•Minimum credits completed, and
•Maximum time frame (unit attempts)


Students who fail to complete their degree requirements within the prescribed length of time, fail to maintain the required cumulative grade point average, and/or do not pass the minimum number of units will not be eligible for federal, state, or university grant funds.


The progress or lack of progress of students will be monitored at the end of each spring semester and summer term (if the student attends summer). Academic Dismissal and Maximum Time Frame Standards (180 undergraduate unit attempts) will be monitored at the end of each semester. All units will count in the evaluation regardless of where or when they were earned, including units earned during semesters or summers when no financial aid was received.


Standard for Grade Point Average. All undergraduate students (including transfer students) are required to have a cumulative 2.0 grade point average by the end of their second academic year. Special students (students seeking a second degree) are required to maintain a cumulative 2.0 grade point average at all times, and graduate students are required to maintain a cumulative 3.0 grade point average and/or be in good standing in their program.


Standard for Minimum Units Completed. All undergraduate and graduate students must successfully complete 67% of attempted unit hours per year. For example, if a student was enrolled for 12 units fall semester, 15 units spring semester, and 6 units during the summer, the student would need to successfully complete 22 units. Failing a class or receiving an incomplete in a class is not considered successfully completing the class.


The successul completion of a unit attempted is credit for which a grade of A, B, C, D, or S is received. A grade of F, W, U, I, NC, or N represents unsatisfactory completion of a course. A grade of D for a graduate student is not considered as successful completion of the unit(s) attempted.

Determination of a student's enrolled (attempted) units will be made on the 10th day of each semester.


Standard for Maximum Time Frame.
The total maximum time frame for undergraduate students receiving financial aid cannot exceed 150% of the published length of the program. For example, a program requiring 120 units for graduation would allow 180 unit attempts (120 x 150% = 180). When enrolled in degree programs that have a published minimum unit requirement for graduation of greater than 120 units, financial aid eligibility may be extended. The 150% rule does not apply to graduate students.


The maximum time frame for undergraduate students seeking a second degree (special students) is 90 units.


Transfer Students.
Transfer units from other institutions will be added to UW-Whitewater unit attempts to determine the total number of unit attempts (180 maximum) for an undergraduate student.


Any student who has been placed on academic probation will be placed on SAP probation as well. Any student who does not meet the standard for minimum units completed at the end of the spring semester (or summer) will be placed on SAP probation. Students attending the summer term will be re-evaluated at the end of summer. The student will be notified prior to the beginning of the next fall semester of his/her status.


Any student on SAP probation will have one year to improve his/her deficiency. A student may continue to receive financial aid while on probation. The student will need to successfully complete 67% of all attempted units for that year and meet the minimum cumulative grade point average standards while on probation in order to return to good standing status.

Ineligible for Financial Aid.
Any undergraduate student that does not have a cumulative 2.0 grade point average by the end of his/her second academic year is ineligible for financial aid until such time as a 2.0 is attained. Any graduate student that does not maintain a cumulative 3.0 grade point average is ineligible for financial aid until such a time as a 3.0 is attained. A student on SAP probation who does not meet good standing status by the end of the next evaluation period will be ineligible for financial aid.


A student who is academically dismissed and not reinstated will automatically be ineligible for future financial aid until such time that he/she is reinstated to the university, appeals the SAP ineligibility, and has the appeal approved.


Once a student has become "ineligible" for financial aid, he/she will not automatically become "eligible" or in "good standing." The student would first be place on "probation" again but eligible for financial aid. If the student then meets all requirements at the end of the next evaluation period while on "probation," he/she would then become "eligible."


Appeal Procedure.
If a student believes that his/her satisfactory progress as determined by the Financial Aid Office is incorrect, it is the student's responsibility to contact the Financial Aid Office and provide documentation of changes in information to the transcript (i.e., grade changes, completion of incomplete classes, etc.).


Students may appeal their ineligibility due to circumstances beyond their control, i.e., death of a family member, student illness/hospitalization.

A written letter of appeal may be submitted to the Financial Aid Office for review. Appeals should explain in detail the reason(s) for not meeting the standards of academic progress. Appeals must be submitted and approved prior to the end of the semester for which the student is appealing to receive financial aid. A sub-committee of the Academic Standards Committee will hear SAP appeals. Members of the Appeals Committee for Satisfactory Academic Progress include a representative from the Provost's office, a faculty member, and the director of financial aid or her designee.


The committee may approve a plan designed by the Academic Advising & Exploration Center staff to return the student to good standing status that differs from the above prescribed terms and conditions.

Reinstatement of Financial Aid Eligibility.
A student ineligible for financial aid due to SAP policy (except the 150% rule) will need to do the following to regain eligibility: Complete at least one semester without financial aid; achieve at least the minimum cumulative grade point average (2.0 or 3.0); and, successfully complete 67% of attempted unit hours for the semester.

Changes Affecting Financial Aid. The student’s financial aid package is subject to change based upon assistance received from other sources. This includes private scholarships, fee waivers, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation funds, AOP grants, etc. Students should notify the Financial Aid Office directly of changes that may affect their ability to fund their education. These changes may include loss of employment or benefits, a significant decrease in income, separation or divorce, death or disability.

Changes Affecting Financial Aid. The student's financial aid package is subject to change based upon assistance received from other sources. This includes private scholarships, fee waivers, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation funds, AOP grants, etc. Students should notify the Financial Aid Office directly of changes that may affect their ability to fund their education. These changes may include loss of employment or benefits, a significant decrease in income, separation or divorce, death or disability.

Federal Policy for Return of Title IV Funds for Financial Aid Recipients. The Financial Aid Office must adhere to Federal law when determining the return of Financial Aid to the Financial Aid Programs.

Reduction in Credits: Financial Aid is awarded based on tuition and other related charges. When a student reduces credits during a term, the financial aid disbursed could exceed these charges. If this occurs, the Financial Aid Office may revise the student's financial aid, and return to the programs the amount that exceeds the reduced charges.

Withdrawal: If a financial aid recipient withdraws during a term, the Financial Aid Office must calculate the amount of Title IV aid the student did not earn. Unearned funds must be returned to Title IV Programs.

The basic formula is: Earned aid = (Percent of enrollment period completed bases on withdrawal date) x (Aid that disbursed or could have disburses)

Unearned Aid = (aid that disbursed or could have disbursed) - (earned aid)

The school must return: (amount of institutional charges) X (the percent of aid that was unearned)

The student must repay: (the amount of unearned Title IV aid to be returned) - (the amount of unearned Title IV aid due from the school)

If the repayment of funds affects grant dollars received, the student's repayment of these funds will be reduced by 50%. Students will repay loan funds based on the repayment terms of the promissory note.

f a student withdraws the first term, but plans to return spring term, he/she must submit WRITTEN notification to the Financial Aid Office so that aid may be reinstated and/or revised. If a student fails to notify the Financial Aid Office, the aid will remain cancelled.


Policy on Awarding Financial Aid.
Financial aid is awarded based on tuition and other educational expenses. Enrollment is captured on the 10th day of the term and student financial aid will be revised accordingly. Students awarded financial aid after the 10th day of the term will be awarded based on actual enrollment for the current term.


Students with a bachelor’s or master’s degree seeking a first time license must meet the eligibility requirements before applying for Professional Education Admission. Cumulative grade point average for admission is based on all credits received in a bachelor’s and/or master’s degree that would be accepted UW-Whitewater. Students who do not meet the minimum GPA requirement for admission should investigate the College of Education Academic Forgiveness Policy through the Advising Center in Winther 2003.

It is the student’s responsibility to schedule an appointment with the program coordinator in the licensure area of interest in the College of Education. This appointment is used so that eligibility for admission to Professional Education and general education for licensure (PI34) requirements can be verified. The student should take photocopies of degree courses to this scheduled meeting.

Students with a bachelor’s or master’s degree should contact the appropriate program coordinator to develop an individual licensure plan. An Advising Report (AR) is not used for post-baccalaureate licensure program approval.


All students eligible to apply for admission into Professional Education will be admitted, by program, based on program space availability. Admission to Professional Education is based on 1) Completing all eligibility requirements and 2) Placement in a rank ordering of applicants according to the most recent combined (accrediting baccalaureate degree and other degree courses that meet UWW Admissions criteria) cumulative GPA. Students who receive academic forgiveness for the GPA requirement are rank-ordered AFTER nonacademic forgiveness students. There are several steps in the process of applying for admission to professional education. First, students must meet the Basic Eligibility Requirements (see below). Also, they must complete an application form and attach letterhead stationary documenting 300 of the 350 hours of experiences with learners in an educational facility/facilities. Third, they must meet the General Education for Licensure Requirements (see below).

Basic Eligibility Requirements:

  • Pass all three portions of the Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST). (Information about this test is available at Testing -Roseman Building, Room 2054.)
  • Attend a Professional Education Orientation Meeting (dates available at
  • Pass each course (with "C"/"S" or better) or concurrent enrollment in each course of the Pre-Professional Block (not required for Early Childhood majors). The three courses of the Pre-Professional Block are "Observation and Participation (O&P)," "Child Development," or "Educational Psychology" or "Human Abilities and Learning" and "Education in a Pluralistic Society." The prerequisites to register for the Pre-Block are: a) Have a cumulative GPA of 2.75, b) Complete a minimum of 12 credits that would be accepted by UWW as degree credits or hold a baccalaureate degree, and c) Pass 2 of the 3 sections of the PPST.
  • Pass Phase 2 Portfolio
    (This is completed in UWW's O&P class or in a 1 credit EDFOUND 214 class at UWW).
  • Pass (with a "C"/"S" or better) or concurrent enrollment in Speech 110 (or equivalent). See the University Catalog/Schedule of Classes or website for information about waivers, if applicable.
  • 2.75 GPA on all credits received in a Bachelors and/or Master's degree that would be accepted by UWW.
  • Experiences with Learners (minimum of 350 hours beginning with freshman year in high school)

1. At least 300 hours of verified experiences from educational facility/facilities such as schools, agencies, institutions, centers or organizations. Use letterhead stationary from the educational agency to provide verification. Verification statements should include experience descriptions, dates of involvement, total number of hours and be signed by the senior member of the agency. Some possible examples include: instructional aide, substitute teaching, daycare teacher, classroom volunteer, coach, camp counselor, after school tutor, Sunday School teacher, etc.

2. Up to 50 hours of experiences that may be related to the role of teacher not associated or attached to an educational facility (description or verification should be provided). Some possible examples include: child care, job related training, parenting, tour group leader, etc.

There will be three admission cycle deadlines in fall, spring, and summer. Applicants will be ranked with the pool of students applying during that particular period. Students who are not admitted may reapply during any subsequent admission period and will be re-ranked with the new pool of applicants.

Applications turned in after the deadline that meet all of the eligibility requirements will be considered on a space available basis only. If no space is available in the program for which the applicant is applying, the student's application will be placed in the applicant pool for the next admissions cycle.

Admissions outside the regular admission schedule will be granted to those students who apply to a program with space available up until four days prior to the last day to add a class of that admission term. Students applying outside the regular admission cycle must meet ALL the eligibility requirements, and no one will be admitted as an exception to GPA or PPST requirements.

Admission to professional education by exception is available to those students who attempt three sections of the PPST but only pass two sections OR whose GPA is below a 2.75. No applications will be considered that do not meet either the GPA or PPST requirement. At least one of these criteria must be met. Only up to 10% of the students in each admission cycle may be admitted by exception. Candidates for admission by exception will be rank ordered by their cumulative GPA. Applicants who turn in their application after the deadline will not be eligible for consideration as an exception until the next admission cycle. Students applying for admission by exception either by PPST or GPA are not eligible for continuous admission.

Students seeking teacher licensure must be admitted to Professional Education in order to enroll in selected upper division courses (300/500-400/600) in Education.

Students admitted to the University with a declared master's degree in education are not automatically guaranteed admission to professional education. Students who meet stated criteria will be admitted on a space available basis.

Specific information on the process for admission into Professional Education is available at the College of Education Advising Assistance Center. (Winther Hall, Room 2003).

Teacher Licensure Requirements:

The College of Education at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater requires all students seeking initial endorsement for Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction licensure to complete the following licensure requirements:

  • Pre-student Teaching Clinical Experience: Each student, under the supervision of professional school personnel, shall complete a pre-student teaching clinical program consisting of a minimum of 100 clock hours of experience working directly with children and youth within a school or other instructional setting. Each student will complete Introduction to Education and Teaching and Field Study.
  • Educational Foundations: Foundations of Teaching in a Pluralistic Society
  • Reading and Language Arts: This requirement has been integrated into the curricula of all licensure programs.
  • Measurement and Evaluation Course: Appropriate to the licensure program, Measurement and Evaluation in Elementary Schools; Measurement and Evaluation in the Secondary Schools; or Measurement and Evaluation in Physical Education.
  • Directed Teaching:

1. Experiences in schools. All students seeking initial endorsement for licensure by UW- Whitewater must earn credits from UW- Whitewater in conjunction with experiences in schools. Additional information about these experiences is available from the Office of Field Experiences or from the appropriate department in the College of Education.

2. Pre-Professional Semester. A minimum of 50 hours in a school setting that serves a diverse population. Presently this experience takes place in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The Office of Field Experiences arranges for transportation of the students. Students are assessed a transportation fee.

3. Professional Block. One or more experiences in schools. Students are placed in schools located within the service area of the College of Education, generally within 50 miles of campus. Students are responsible for their own transportation during Professional Block experiences.

4. Directed Teaching ("student teaching"). All students seeking initial endorsement for licensure must complete a full day, full semester experience following the daily schedule and semester of the cooperating school (not the university semester). Students who seek endorsement from UW- Whitewater must complete at least 14 credits of academic work from UW-Whitewater prior to Directed Teaching. Students are placed in schools located within the service area of the College of Education, generally within 50 miles of campus. Placements are made by the University on the basis of quality and other programmatic considerations. Students are responsible for their own transportation and housing arrangements during Directed Teaching.

  • Environmental Education. Students whose programs lead to Wisconsin licensure in elementary education, science, or social studies must fulfill the statutory requirement in environmental education. In addition to appropriate work in their methods classes, students must elect one of the following courses: Human Environmental Problems or Ecology and Society.
  • Cooperatives. Students whose programs lead to Wisconsin licensure in social studies must fulfill the statutory requirements in cooperatives by selecting one of the following courses: Economic Principles, Problems and Policies, or Cooperatives.
  • Special Education. All persons who receive an initial Wisconsin elementary or secondary license must complete a special education requirement. This requirement has been integrated into the curricula of all licensure programs. Students who successfully complete an elementary or secondary program at UW-Whitewater will have fulfilled this state requirement.
  • Human Relations Requirements. All professional education programs leading to initial licensure require study and experiences in human relations. Specific information on the course and experience requirements is available in the Office of Field Experiences, Winther 2038.

General Education for Licensure Requirements:

The State of Wisconsin through the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction has implemented a set of teacher education program rules that are referred to as PI 34 . These rules describe general education requirements that must be met by all teachers seeking their first teaching license, regardless of previous degrees.

Students who hold a baccalaureate/master's degree must meet the following areas:

1. Written and Oral Communication

2. Mathematics

3. Fine Arts

4. Social Studies

5. The Humanities, including Literature.

6. Biological Science

7. Physical Science (any course from Astronomy, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, or the 5-credit Physical Geography lab)

8. Western History or Western Contemporary Culture

9. Non-Western History or Non-Western Contemporary Culture

10. Wisconsin Model Academic Standards (beginning August 2004)


All students with a baccalaureate or higher degree must have the PI34 requirements verified. Verification of this requirement is completed by the student’s Program Coordinator or Department Chair.

Specific information on the general education for licensure (PI4/PI34) requirements and the approval list of courses are available at


Instructional Technology Services. ITS provides technology services for the instructional needs of faculty, staff and students. Services include: support for campus computing labs, and technology classrooms, consultation and production of courseware development activities, support for web-based course management systems, media services, and the technical support for distance education classrooms.

Network Operations Center. The NOC is responsible for the campus local network, Internet access, and network security systems. The NOC provides infrastructure support for campus and departmental systems, centralized server and network services, database administration, management of enterprise data storage and backup, and the design and deployment of wireless access to network resources.

Telecommunications. Telecom Services is responsible for the maintenance of the on-campus phone system, including voice mail, various key systems, and access to the STS long distance phone service. The on-campus service is Centrex from Ameritech, and the long distance STS service is provided by the State Contract with AT&T, in cooperation with Ameritech.

Applications Development. The responsibility of the Applications Development group is to deploy computer applications, including web applications, for university administrative functions; to assist in the selection, implementation and support of purchased software; and to develop interfaces between systems.

Helpdesk, Training and Desktop Support. T&IR provides a central helpdesk, training program and desktop services in support of faculty, staff and students at UWW. Such services include: computer acquisition, setup, redeployment and disposal; workstation access to the campus network; installation and maintenance of university-supported software; problem resolution by telephone, email or personal appointment; and customer training in the use of campus technologies.

Email, Internet and File storage Services. T&IR manages the following services for UWW: the campus web site, enterprise email system, listserv system for group communication, storage for personal web publishing, and both personal and shared network storage space accessible through the campus network and on the web.

University Library. The Library supports the curricular and research needs of the University community through the development of collections and services designed to facilitate access to information. Assistance is available at Circulation/Reserves, Reference and Periodicals desks, Archives and through chat/email. The Library offers comprehensive instruction programs including course related instruction and tours. The Library website serves as the gateway to the library catalog, licensed online resources including full-text, data and indexing/abstracting services, library catalogs of the world and selective internet sites of research value. Library resources include an in-house collection of over 2 million items: 657,300 volumes of books, serial backfiles, and other paper materials including government documents; 120,600 microforms; 16,9200 audiovisual items, 1862 current subscriptions of journals and newspapers, and online access to over 10,000 e-journals, 8700 e-books and over 150 other databases. Through Universal Borrowing, a feature on the common library system, collections of University of Wisconsin libraries can be shared efficiently.

Observatory. The Whitewater Observatory is a teaching and research facility. Contained in the observatory dome is a 16 inch aperture diameter Cassegrain reflecting telescope. The facility includes a general-purpose room in which evening observing sessions, public lectures, and supervised student research take place, and a darkroom equipped for film development and print-making by students registered in astronomy classes. While the observatory dome is maintained at an outside temperature, both the general-purpose room and photo lab are actively heated in winter and cooled in summer. Immediately outside of the observatory is a viewing area for constellation studies and for instruction in the use of small, portable telescopes. The observatory is used by astronomy classes for both daytime and nighttime activities, for lectures to the general public on alternate Friday evenings during semesters, and for tours for school groups.

Distance Education.UW-Whitewater faculty and staff have access to a number of distance education technologies that enable them to (1) reach students who are distant from campus, (2) share resources/courses with other UW institutions, and (3) participate in statewide meetings without leaving campus. A statewide digital video network allows you to see, hear and converse with your students or colleagues across the UW System. Connectivity can also be expanded to technical colleges and K-12 schools. Wisline audioconferencing uses standard telephone lines to link individuals at sites anywhere in the state or the world. WisLine Web is a web-based service that allows you to hold live, interactive meetings using just a web browser and a speakerphone from the convenience of your office or at WisLine Web sites around the state.

These methods of course delivery require real-time synchronous interaction; therefore, students or colleagues need to be at a specific site at a specific time as they would in a traditional on-campus class or meeting. WisLine and WisLine Web can also be used to reach students colleagues at their offices or homes, although there is an additional cost for this kind of access. Bridging services are provided by Instructional Communications Systems, an academic support unit of the University of Wisconsin Extension. Contact the Office of Continuing Education Distance Education at 262/472-5247 or go to for more information.


In addition to the synchronous forms of interaction listed above, faculty and staff are trained to use course management systems and tools that enable them to teach all or a portion of their course(s) on the Web. The Online MBA program is one example of a UW-Whitewater graduate degree program where all of the coursework can be completed on line. More information about the Online MBA is available at

Distance education courses are listed under their departmental headings in the UWW Schedule of Classes or in the Outreach Timetable. These publications are available by contacting the Office of Graduate Studies & Continuing Education, Roseman 2013, (262) 472-1100. A complete listing of UW System credit and noncredit distance education courses is made available each semester in the form of an online catalog. The Distance Learning Catalog can be found at the website


Distance education courses are listed each term in the UWW Schedule of Classes under their respective department headings. Go to or request a hard copy by contacting the School of Graduate Studies & Continuing Education, Roseman 2013, at (262) 472-1100 or http://www.uww.educonteduc/ . A search mechanism for UW System distance education courses offered across the state can be found online at

Licensure. Issues related to teacher licensure are handled by the Office of Teacher Licensing. Graduate students who seek a teaching license should be certain that their proposed program meets all of UW-Whitewater’s approved program standards before embarking on a program of study. This is true in both the case of initial licensure and additions to existing licenses. In order to ascertain current licensure requirements, students should direct their questions to their program coordinator. If you are unsure which program coordinator to contact, contact the Licensure Office, Winther Hall. Phone (262) 472-1184 for assistance.

Career Services. The services of the Office of Career Services (Anderson Library 2002) are available to graduate students as the need may arise. Many students take advantage of these services as they explore career fields, develop career plans, prepare themselves for the job search, and actually search for employment. The services include a library of career information, career planning and employment counseling, web-based job opportunities, on campus recruiting, and an employer referral system for the benefit of registrants. For more information, visit the Career Services website at or contact staff the directly at 262.472.1471.

Residence Life. The University provides residence hall accommodations for approximately 3,800 students in 14 residence halls. In addition, many property owners in the city provide housing facilities for students. On campus, a variety of residence hall living accommodations are available, including single rooms and double rooms, there is no University-operated housing for married students; however, most married students are able to find apartments, mobile homes, or rental houses in Whitewater or neighboring communities. For further information regarding on-campus housing, contact the Residence Life Office in Goodhue Hall, Suite 200, check out our website at or call (262) 472-4200.

Short-term Guest Housing. The Office of Residence Life offers inexpensive overnight residence hall accommodations when space is available. For more information about the service, contact Residence Life at (262) 472-4200 and ask about Goodhue Guest Housing.

Parking. All persons who use unmetered University parking facilities must display a valid parking permit issued by Visitor Parking Services. To accommodate the parking needs of on-campus resident students, commuting students, faculty, and staff, some parking facilities are restricted. Observe restrictions posted at each parking facility.

A parking permit may be purchased at the Visitor Parking Services Office located in the Visitor Center, 826 Starin Road. It is not necessary to have a permit on a vehicle that is parked at a meter; however, it is necessary to pay the meter even if the vehicle has a permit. Vehicles parked in violation of University regulations will be ticketed. For more information call Visitor Parking Services at (262) 472-1011.

University Police. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater University Police Department is a full-service law enforcement agency providing 24-hour police protection and services to the campus community. The department is staffed by eleven sworn police officers, two part-time police officers and one non-sworn employee.

Part of the mission of the University Police Department is to provide protection of life and property to all persons within the boundaries of the university, to uphold the rights guaranteed under the United States Constitution, and to enforce state laws, codes and UW System regulations in a fair and just manner. The department works toward this goal by conducting investigations into alleged criminal activity, the implementation and presentation of crime prevention programs, development of new and innovative policing programs, effecting arrests, and referring individuals into the criminal justice system or conduct systems.

Anyone requiring the services of the University Police Department can contact them 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by calling (262) 472-4660. While an officer is always on duty and can be reached by telephone, non-emergency business transactions can be conducted in person during office hours of 7:45 a.m. 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday in Goodhue Hall. Whether the victim of a crime, an injured person, a witness to an incident, someone who wants information for a presentation, or just someone who does not know where else to turn, the University Police stand ready to provide the necessary assistance.

University Health and Counseling Services. (John F. Macek, Executive Director, Ambrose Health Center, Health Services, (262) 472-1300, Counseling Services (262) 472-1305.) The University Health and Counseling Services (UHCS) provides comprehensive services and referrals for multiple concerns related to students’ physical and mental health. Services are available to all currently registered UWW students from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday during the fall and spring semesters; hours vary during the evening and during summer session and break periods. A 24-hour Crisis Line is available for all students through Walworth County Human Services. UHCS staff are committed to quality service and health education with services, programs and consultations provided in many different settings (individually and with groups).

Health services include: consultation and treatment by physicians, nurse practitioners, and nurse clinicians for illnesses and injuries. Many laboratory tests (including cholesterol screening and HIV testing) and some medications are provided. Programs include weight control counseling, smoking cessation, nutrition counseling for students with eating disorders and borderline cholesterol levels, allergy shots, cold self-care, contraceptive services, diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases through regular Personal Reproductive Care (PRC) clinics, and assistance in coordination of health care for students with chronic illnesses and/or physical disabilities. UHCS does not provide eye examinations, dental care, or consultation with specialists. Assistance with referrals to outside sources of care is provided, if needed. Charges are made for some services and supplies within the Health Services, and all outside services are the financial responsibility of the student. A number of outreach programs are offered by staff and peer educators, which focus on the individual’s rights and responsibilities with personal health care issues.

Health insurance is recommended; a policy is endorsed by the university and information is available from UHCS (Health Services). Hospital care is available when needed in nearby communities. Hospitals in Fort Atkinson, Janesville or Elkhorn are available for medical consultation/urgent care both day and night. In the case of emergencies, the City of Whitewater Rescue Squad should be contacted by calling 911 off-campus or 9-911 on-campus.

Counseling is free of charge and includes individual and group counseling (primarily short-term) for UWW students dealing with a number of personal issues. In addition, consultation is available to faculty, staff and students. Significant outreach efforts are made with the campus and the community. The primary focus in these outreach programs is on prevention and education.

The services are staffed by professional psychologists, social workers, and counselors, as well as supervised counselors-in-training. A consulting psychiatrist is on staff part-time. If immediate or direct services are not available here, assistance is offered with appropriate referrals. Students with ANY personal concerns (adjustment to college, relationship issues, stress management, self-esteem, roommate problems, eating disorders, sexuality issues, or just want to feel better about life) are encouraged to ask for help at UHCS. All services of UHCS are confidential.

Center for Students with Disabilities. (Roseman 1006, (262) 472-4711 [V/TT]) UW-Whitewater has had a program to provide services for students with disabilities since the 1970-1971 school year. In 1973, the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System gave UW-Whitewater a unique, specific mission to provide services for students with disabilities. As a result, the UW-Whitewater campus is one of the most accessible campuses in the nation. In addition, professional staff members in the Center for Students with Disabilities and other campus programs are available to provide a wide variety of services to meet both ordinary and unique needs of students with disabilities. Some of the service assure access to all aspects of the University life and are legally mandated. (Other services are supported and/or enriching, and promote successful outcomes, these are typically available on a fee basis.) Specialized services are provided to meet unique needs.

Services include, but are not limited to:

A) Pre-enrollment interview, evaluation and orientation.
B) Specialized academic support services.
C) Transportation to and from class and activities on and off campus (Available for a weekly charge)
D) Adapted recreation and athletics including wheelchair football, basketball, softball, soccer and wheelchair track and field.
E) Assistive Technology Center.
F) Counseling for personal, social, vocational, academic and critical intervention needs.
G) Assistance with attendant recruitment and training.
H) Physical therapy emphasizing functional training and activities of daily living.
I) Liaison with funding and sponsoring agencies.

Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Disability. . Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, provides that “No qualified individual with a disability shall, on the basis of disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity which receives or benefits from Federal financial assistance.”

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) states “No qualified individual with a disability shall, on the basis of disability, be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of the services, programs, or activities of a public entity, or be subjected to discrimination by any public entity.

Applicants or students who believe that they may have been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability in any campus program, activity or service should contact: Compliance Coordinator, Section 504 and ADA Regulations (nonemployment), 330 Hyer Hall, (262) 472-4672.

Students For an Accessible Society ([SAS] Roseman 1006). Students for an Accessible Society (SAS) is an UWW campus organization for students with and without disabilities that has been in existence since 1971. The main goal of SAS is to break down attitudinal and architectural barriers that can infringe upon the rights of persons with disabilities by educating the public and staying politically active. SAS provides members with a unique opportunity to develop life long skills imperative to living successful adult lives.For further information on SAS, or for information concerning other areas (i.e. transportation, housing, aides, physical therapy), students may contact Center for Students with Disabilites at (262) 472-4711. The SAS Website is

Women's Center. The Whitewater Women’s Center is open during fall and spring semesters. It is a great place for all students on campus to receive help, support, information, referrals, and advocacy on gender issues.

The Center is a place where women and men can work together toward dissolving barriers, stereotypes and attitudes which deny any person education, earning power, or choices about their own lives based on gender. The Center offers a resource library, pamphlets and support groups.

The Women's Center is located in Salisbury Hall in room 236. The office is located across the hall in room 217 on the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater campus. Center hours will be posted each semester at the Center entrance. For more information, visit the Women's Center or call us at (262) 472-2786.

International Student Programs. The Office of International Education and Programs provides individual and group counseling services and orientation, and assists international students with personal, academic, and financial problems as well as problems with housing, food, or immigration. The office also serves as a liaison with the academic and administrative areas of the University and coordinates cultural and social programs that interface foreign and domestic cultures such as the International Dinner and Host Family Program.

Children's Center. The University offers high quality preschool and school-age programs for children (ages 2-6 years during spring and fall semesters and 2-11 years old during summer sessions) of students, faculty, and staff. University students receive priority in enrollment. Part-time and full-time schedules are available to suit parents’ class, work, and study times on and off-campus. The Children’s Center also serves as a teacher training site and is state licensed and nationally accredited. The Center is open Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. For information regarding curriculum, registration, and fees contact the University Children’s Center, Roseman Building 1035, UW-Whitewater. Phone (262) 472-1768, or check us out at

Multicultural Education Center.The Multicultural Education Center (MEC), located in UC 122, provides a friendly and inviting atmosphere that brings students, faculty, and staff to its doors. The MEC has a wide array of multicultural resources that are available for students, staff and faculty, and it has an extensive multicultural library. The MEC is open to all visitors during its regular hours: 10:00 A.M. - 6 P.M. (Monday-Thursday), 10:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M. (Friday). Please contact the staff at (262) 472-2798 with any questions about its resources or to reserve the facility.

General Recreation. Sports facilities are open through-out the week and weekends for unorganized recreational use. Indoor facilities are available for such activities as basketball, volleyball, track (walking/jogging), racquetball, and swimming. Outdoor areas and facilities are also available for such activities as softball, football, tennis, sand pit volleyball, disc golf, cricket and basketball. A walking/jogging trail is located near Perkins Stadium for recreational use. Equipment checkout is available for these activities with a valid University I.D. Facility reservations are also available for any of the indoor or outdoor facilities, as well as the picnic shelter near Wells Hall. Williams Center Weight Room memberships and University Fitness and Aerobics memberships can be purchased through the Office of Recreation Sports and Facilities, Room 100 Williams Center. Call (262) 472-1544 for further information.

Intramural Sports Program.The Intramural Sports Program is available for male and female students, faculty and staff members. Tournaments and leagues are conducted throughout the school year in various activities such as Flag Football, Sand Volleyball, Ultimate Frisbee, Basketball, Inner tube Water Polo, Floor Hockey, Volleyball, Wheelchair basketball, Wiffleball, Racquetball, Dodgeball, Indoor Soccer, Outdoor Soccer, Team Handball, Badminton, Tennis, Golf, Softball, and Arena Flag Football. Entry forms for these activities are available in the Intramural Sports Office, Room 100 Williams Center or on our Intramural website Contact (262) 472-1145 for further information.

Club Sports Program.The Club Sports Program is designed to provide the opportunity for male and female students, faculty, and staff to participate in a variety of competitive, instructional, and recreational sports. Each club is formed, organized, governed, and conducted by students under the guidelines established by the Office of Recreation Sports & Facilities. Our Sport Clubs blend aspects of learning new
skills, practicing with fellow participants and competing against clubs from other campuses throughout the nation. Active clubs include Women’s Ice Hockey, Baseball, Men’s and Women’s Rugby, Billiards, Men's Bowling, Lacrosse, Men’s Volleyball, Karate, Woman's Basketball, Marital Arts, Cycling, Hobbits Outdoor, Ultimate Frisbee, Water Skiing, Snow Skiing, Social Dance, Disc Golf, Paint Ball, Hang Gliding, and the Spirit Program. Stop by the Club Sports Office, Room 100, Williams Center or call (262) 472-1145 for further information.

Religious Groups.The following religious organizations are represented on campus: Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship, Catholic Student Coalition (Roman Catholic), Lutheran and Episcopal Student Movement, Latter Day Saints Student Association, UWW Gospel Choir, United Methodist University Ministry, and WELS Lutheran Campus Ministry. In addition, the Campus Ministry Center is affiliated with the following religious faiths: Catholic, Lutheran, and Episcopal but welcomes all students. Local churches or off-campus houses maintained by religious organizations provide the facilities for religious and social programs. Some meetings are held in University facilities.

Cultural Affairs. Cultural Affairs provides all UWW students the opportunity to see and work with professional performances by nationally and internationally known theatre, dance and musicians groups booked at Young Auditorium.

The Cultural Affairs Committee is composed of both students
and community members who provide input to the director and help plan, produce and promote activities for the next season and volunteer to work on the events booked for this season. Volunteer activities include ushering, providing transportation for the artists from the motel to the theatre, promoting the event to students across campus, arranging artist workshops, working on Young Auditorium receptions for artists and other aspects of event production. The Cultural Affairs Committee chooses ten to twelve activities for the upcoming season to be listed as Cultural Affairs events. However, tickets to all Young Auditorium season events are offered to students at greatly discounted prices averaging 50% off.

Irvin L. Young Auditorium.The Young Auditorium serves as host to several performing arts series including the Cultural Affairs Series, the “ILY Presents” series, Contemporary Issues events, as well as the “Horizons” school matinee and evening family programs. In all, twenty-five to thirty professional performing arts events are held in the facility each year. The auditorium is also utilized for various music department and continuing education-sponsored activities. The unique design of the Young Auditorium features a graciously appointed auditorium chamber with approximately 1,300 seats, depending on configuration pattern and number of wheelchair seats utilized. Through lighting options and architectural arrangements, the auditorium can also achieve the feeling of warmth and comfortable intimacy of a much smaller space. The clean lines and uncluttered space of the chamber create an unpretentious performing environment in this state-of-the-art facility.

One of the many striking areas is the Fern Young Terrace which offers unparalleled charm guaranteed to enhance any event it houses. The facility’s Kachel Center offers flexibility with its sprung hardwood floor. Conferences will find the room appealing for groups of up to 150 or as a space for small groups to meet

before returning to the auditorium for larger sessions. Both the Fern Young Terrace and the Kachel Center can serve dual purposes as support spaces to complement auditorium functions or as versatile stand-alone meeting, rehearsal, or reception rooms.


University Theatre. Annually, the Theatre/Dance Department produces six major productions for the academic year (including a touring children's play, experimental and one-act plays, some form

of musical, and a dance concert) and three productions during the Summeround season. These activities provide rich opportunities for students to see and participate in a wide range of productions.


Music Activities.The Department of Music sponsors a wide
variety of performing groups including Concert Choir, Chamber Singers, Women's Chorale, Jazz Choir, Symphonic Wind Ensemble, Marching Band, Concert Band, Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Combos, Percussion Ensemble, Flute Choir, Clarinet Choir, Saxophone Quartets, Early Music Ensemble, Brass Choir, and other smaller ensembles. These groups, as well as all others sponsored by the department, are open by audition to all university students. If students enjoy singing or playing a musical instrument, they will appreciate the opportunity to share in the musicianship of these groups. Contact the Music Department Office for additional information at (262) 472-1310. If students enjoy music, they will want to attend the many interesting and exciting concerts given by the campus groups, faculty artists, and guest artists. These concerts are free to students and provide a rich and memorable break in weekly routines.

Art Exhibitions.The Crossman Gallery serves the Department of Art, UW-Whitewater, and the community by providing a forum for the exhibition of art works and related educational activities. By facilitating the exhibition of distinctive works of art, the gallery offers students, faculty and visitors an opportunity to enjoy and study a variety of art expressions in a free, accessible and open environment.


Crossman Gallery also serves as an extension of the educational mission of the University by enabling students to exhibit their work and conduct research into the objects presented throughout the year in the exhibition series. The exhibits and related programming provide a forum to investigate technique and thematic issues in the visual arts, explore new technology and display emerging and established talent.

News and Public Affairs. The Office of News and Public Affairs is responsible for enhancing the image and visibility of UW-Whitewater through a wide range of services, including media relations, institutional marketing, publications, photography, event planning and issues management.

Major publications produced by NPA include Whitewater magazine, a twice-annual magazine that reaches more than 40,000 UW-Whitewater alumni; and The Reporter, a twice-monthly newsletter for faculty and staff. The office also writes and distributes hundreds of news releases each year and works closely with regional and state media to gain public recognition for campus achievements.

The office provides editing and content development support for programs that reach public audiences. NPA maintains a regularly updated "top stories" section on the UW-Whitewater home page, steers crisis communication for the university and produces a number of publications for special events, including Founders Day, Homecoming and Commencement.

Faculty, staff and students who have ideas for possible news stories are encouraged to contact NPA. For more information about NPA services, contact (262) 472-1194.