School of Graduate Studies

School of Graduate Studies > Graduate Catalogs > 2010-2012 > Graduate School Policies

Graduate School Policies


Background. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater was founded in 1868 as a Normal School to train teachers. Since that time, it has progressed to State Teachers College, State College, and State University. Then in 1972, with the merger of the nine state universities and the former University of Wisconsin, UW-Whitewater became a member of the University of Wisconsin System. The UW System now includes 13 universities and 13 two-year centers. The combined enrollment makes it the ninth largest system of higher education in the United States.  

UW-Whitewater has grown to over 11,643 students with more than 1,200 faculty, staff, and administrators. It is now a comprehensive university offering both undergraduate and graduate degrees. More than 60 majors are offered in four undergraduate colleges: Arts and Communication, Business and Economics, Education and Professional Studies, and Letters and Sciences. In addition, the School of Graduate Studies, Continuing Education, Extension and Summer Session enrolls hundreds of students on and off campus in both credit and noncredit programs.

The Campus. The University is located in southeastern Wisconsin approximately 45 miles southeast of Madison, 50 miles southwest of Milwaukee, and 100 miles northwest of Chicago. The 385 acre campus is situated in the northwest corner of the City of Whitewater, within walking distance of the city’s business district.

The campus includes 46 academic/auxiliary buildings, a nature preserve and arboretum, and 43 acres set aside for baseball, football, soccer, softball, track, and tennis. Noteworthy buildings include the multipurpose University Center, the Williams Recreation Center, the 12,500- seat Perkins Stadium and the David L. Kachel Fieldhouse, which provides 100,000 square feet of indoor athletics and recreational space.

The focal point of the campus is a two-block mall which links classroom and administrative buildings with the multipurpose University Center. North of the mall lies residence halls, the student health center, the Kachel Fieldhouse, the Williams Physical Education and Recreation Center, and the 12,500 seat Perkins Stadium. To the west is the Center of the Arts and the Young Auditorium which serves as a regional cultural center.

Graduate Education. Until the early 1960s, UW-Whitewater had only offered undergraduate degrees. In response to societal needs for greater specialization and increased education in the professional work force, graduate programs were initiated at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater in the early 1960s. Since then, UW-Whitewater has granted 15,138 master’s degrees. It is presently the third largest graduate school in the UW System with 1,279 students enrolled during the fall of 2012.

Master’s degree programs are available in accounting, business administration, business education, communication, communication sciences & disorders, counseling, educational leadership & policy analysis, occupational & environmental safety & health, professional development, school business management, school psychology, and special education. An extensive program of evening and online classes is offered for those who are employed during the day. It is possible to complete some master’s degree programs through summer and evening work without being a full-time student during the academic year.

Graduate certificate programs are available in business administration, safety, counseling, and special education.

Graduate degree programs at UW-Whitewater are fully accredited by the North Central Association, the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business, the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, and the Wisconsin State Department of Public Instruction.

Information on specific degree programs is found in the Degree Programs section of this catalog. For further information on admission to graduate studies contact: School of Graduate Studies, Roseman 2013, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Whitewater, WI 53190; (262) 472-1006; or visit our website at

Safety and Health Policy. The University of Wisconsin System will provide and maintain adequate facilities for a safe and healthy learning environment. It is the University’s responsibility to work with faculty and staff so that they are equipped to educate their students on practices and procedures that ensure safety for all members of the university. Employees with instructional responsibilities are expected to comply with state and federal safety laws and regulations in their institutional areas. Certain courses and research projects require that the student work with hazardous materials while engaging in academic studies. Instructors of these courses and research projects shall inform and train students on procedures that will maintain the students’ personal health and safety and provide them with information on the hazards of specific chemicals that will be used during their course of study. Furthermore, instructors will enforce and follow safety policies. Prior to use of hazardous materials and equipment, the student shall review the procedures and information, and discuss any associated concerns with the instructor.

Graduate Education

Graduate education at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater uses knowledge and skills acquired through baccalaureate degrees and professional experiences as a foundation for advanced-level study and professional development. The goal of graduate education is to prepare individuals to apply an advanced knowledge-base and refined analytic, communicative, and functional skills to problems encountered in their professional careers.

Graduate courses are taught by individuals who have earned "graduate faculty" status or have been approved by the graduate faculty of a department and the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education. Together these are individuals who are active scholars and productive professionals equipped to pass along timely experiences and knowledge about their evolving discipline.

Graduate course work, generally, will introduce students to contemporary issues in the discipline and help them develop a critical perspective for evaluating these and future developments. Graduate course work will help students develop an understanding for how a discipline is organized and how it conducts its research. In that regard, graduate course work is designed to be significantly different from its undergraduate counterpart in the following ways:

  • requiring a greater depth and intensity of study;
  • demanding a higher level of academic/intellectual rigor;
  • focusing primarily on advanced and specialized topics;
  • exploring the integration of theory and practice; and
  • relying on pedagogical practices that require more
  • personal interactions with the instructor, more collaborative interactions with fellow graduate students, and more self-directed learning than undergraduate studies.

Academic Assessment. Academic assessment is a process where academic programs: 1) articulate a set of knowledge-based, cognitive-based, and skill-based objectives defining the competencies that students will acquire in completing the curriculum; 2) collect data from students, alumni, alumni-employers, and other sources that allow it to assess the competency level of its graduates relative to its outlined objectives; 3) utilize the assessment data to make revisions to the curriculum, pedagogical processes, evaluation procedures, and/or program objectives; and 4) share their assessment results with faculty, students, and alumni. Assessment helps the programs achieve one of the most important and difficult challenges facing the modern university: providing curricula that are well-focused, timely, and designed and delivered in such a way that they prepare graduates to be creative, successful professionals.

Graduate education at UW-Whitewater runs its academic assessment at two levels. At one level, each graduate program engages in the four steps outlined above. To assist with the data collection, students in the various programs may be asked to assemble portfolios of their work, or may have their thesis or comprehensive exams assessed by a committee of faculty, and/or they may be asked to complete an exit interview.

At a comprehensive level, the School of Graduate Studies requires all students completing a degree program to complete an exit survey. These surveys provide an ongoing chronicle of student perceptions that are used to assess how well graduate programming is achieving the five comprehensive objectives that characterize the desired outcomes of all graduate programs.


In general, all persons who hold a bachelor’s or advanced degree from a regionally accredited school may register in graduate-level courses for graduate credit. Proof of a bachelor’s or higher degree is required.

Students may be admitted to a graduate degree program either in good standing or on probation. The admission status (e.g., "good standing" vs. "probation") of all applicants from baccalaureate-granting institutions that don't employ traditional grading systems will be left to the judgment and recommendation of the graduate program to which the student is applying. Certain other special categories are established for persons not attempting to complete a degree at this institution. These special categories are "noncandidate for degree" and "guest transfer of credit."

Effective fall 2007, individuals who have earned bachelor degrees created in accordance with the European Higher Education Area (i.e., Bologna Process), or earned bachelor degrees from institutions engaged in a formal agreement with UW-W, will be considered admission eligible providing their academic performance in completing that degree is emblematic of future success in a graduate program (i.e., eligible to be admitted in "good standing").

Admission in Good Standing. Requirements for admission to a degree program in good standing are as follows:

  1. A baccalaureate or higher degree from a regionally accredited institution.
  2. At least a 3.00* overall grade point average in all the graduate work previously completed at UW-Whitewater, with no grades of I or IP pending.
  3. One of the following:
    1. At least a 2.75 overall grade point average in the undergraduate degree program.
    2. At least a 2.90 grade point average in the last half of the undergraduate degree program.
    3. A master's degree or higher from an institution regionally accredited at the corresponding graduate level.
    4. At least 12 credits of graduate work completed on a regular grade basis at UW-Whitewater.
  4. Any additional requirements set by individual departments or colleges for admission to specific degree programs.

*All grade point averages are on a 4.00 basis.

Deficiencies in Background for Graduate Study. If a department finds that a student lacks the proper academic background for graduate studies, it may specify that deficiencies be made up before the student completes a degree. In some cases, deficiencies may have to be made up by registering in undergraduate courses that do not count toward completion of a master’s degree.

Admission on Probation. A student who does not meet the requirements for admission in good standing may be admitted to a degree program on probation after furnishing credible evidence of ability to do satisfactory graduate work.

Such credibility is determined by the admitting academic department or individual program coordinator, and could be a creditable postgraduate employment record; a satisfactory score on the Graduate Record Examination, GMAT or Miller Analogies Test; or the successful completion of graduate work at a regionally accredited institution.

Students admitted on probation must meet the criteria above for good standing status within the first 12 units attempted, including repeated courses. Those failing to do so will be ineligible to take further graduate work in that degree program.


Noncandidate for Degree (NCFD). Persons who hold a bachelor’s degree or a graduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university but do not wish to be admitted to a graduate degree program are classified as NCFD students. Evidence of a bachelor’s degree or an advanced degree is required for an NCFD student. This category allows the student to enroll in graduate level courses and to receive graduate credit for this work. Departments and colleges reserve the right to restrict NCFD students from their courses.

Before attempting more than 12 units as an NCFD, a student is encouraged to file an application for a degree program. Acceptance of any course work toward a graduate degree, including course work completed as an NCFD student, is at the discretion of the department. Because a graduate degree requires that the student complete a program of courses planned in consultation with an adviser, generally two-thirds or more of the course work must be completed after formal admission to the degree program. Consequently, a maximum of twelve units taken prior to admission to the program may be applied toward the completion of a degree.

Guest Transfer of Credit.Persons attending another graduate school who wish to take graduate courses at UW-Whitewater and transfer them to that institution may do so. The request for guest matriculant status form is to be completed by an official of the graduate school to which the units are to be transferred. The form certifies that the student is attending the other institution and states the provisions for approval of the work taken at UW-Whitewater toward the degree at the other institution. Students may download the Request for Guest Matriculant Status form at or contact the Graduate Studies Office.

Seniors Taking Graduate Courses. UW-Whitewater undergraduate students with senior status may be allowed to complete up to nine graduate units at UW-Whitewater provided they have completed at least 90 semester units with at least a 2.75 overall grade point average (or 2.90 over the last half of their course work), have the written recommendation of the department chairperson of their undergraduate major and have a graduate application on file in the Graduate Studies Office. Students may download this form at

Eligibility for this privilege must be established with the graduate program coordinator and Graduate Studies Office and is not available to seniors at other institutions or students who already possess a bachelor's degree. Seniors may not use graduate-level units to satisfy requirements for the bachelor's degree, and undergraduate fees will be charged for their graduate-level work.


Application to Degree Programs. To apply for admission to a graduate degree program, individuals must:

  1. Submit a completed application and $56 application fee. Available at or from the Graduate Studies Office.
  2. All requests to transfer and/or apply previously taken graduate course work toward the degree requirements must be submitted at the time of application. Transfer credit forms may be obtained by visiting
  3. Submit an official degree-bearing transcript from the institution that granted the bachelor’s degree and that includes at least 60 semester hours of course work. If fewer than 60 semester hours of course work were completed at the degree-granting institution, additional transcripts will be required.
  4. In addition to the official bachelor's degree-bearing transcript, submit copies of transcripts for all undergraduate work that was applied to the bachelor's degree, if that course work was not included in the degree-bearing transcript. These transcripts may be unofficial copies and may be submitted by the applicant.
  5. Submit, directly from the granting institution, an official transcript showing completion of any master's or higher degrees.
  6. Submit, directly from the granting institution, official transcripts for any other graduate work completed, if the work is to be considered for transfer into the student's degree program. If official transcripts for previously completed graduate work are not provided at the time of application to the program, credit for that work cannot be transferred at a later date.
  7. Have official transcripts sent directly from the registrar's office at the institution where the work was completed to:

    School of Graduate Studies
    Roseman 2013 UW-Whitewater
    Whitewater, WI 53190.

    (Note: Transcripts from UW-Whitewater will be ordered by the Graduate School.)

    Transcripts faxed to UW-Whitewater or submitted personally by applicants will not be accepted.

    In the case of an institution in a foreign country that does not issue transcripts other than the single official copy presented to the student, a photocopy may be submitted provided that the applicant presents the official document for verification of authenticity at the Graduate Studies Office upon arrival at UW-Whitewater. A hold will be placed on their record until this is provided.

  8. Submit all other credentials (e.g., test scores, letters of recommendation, goal statement, autobiography) required for admission to the particular program for which admission is being sought.




  1. All international applicants to graduate programs must submit an official course-by-course evaluation of all foreign education credentials. Acceptable international credential evaluation agencies include:
    • Educational Credential Evaluators, lnc.(414) 289-3400 (
    • World Educational Services, 212-966-6311 (
    • or any NACES accredited evaluation service (

  2. All international applicants to graduate programs must provide evidence of Advanced Academic English Language proficiency, which may be documented by one of the following:

    • The TOEFL score is required by those whose native language is other than English. Official results must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service. A TOEFL score of 79 (internet-based) is required for admission into some degree programs and is strongly recommended by others.


    • An official International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score is acceptable. The minimum required score is 6.0.


    • Completion of advanced academic language study at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Intensive English Institute
      ( Students must complete English 161 ( Advanced Academic Reading) and English 162 (College Writing in English as a Second Language) in the UW­Whitewater Intensive English Institute with a score of 80% or higher in each course.


    • Completion of advanced academic language study at the Wisconsin English Second Language Institute (WESLI: https://www.wesli.coml). Students must complete the institute's 700 level, including academic reading and writing, and academic listening and speaking skills, with a rating of "very good" or higher (3, 3+, or 4). Students must arrange to have these results and a recommendation from WESLI forwarded to the UW-Whitewater School of Graduate Studies.


    • Completion of advanced academic language study at the Madison as a Second Language School (MESLS: Students must have MESLS provide a letter documenting successful completion of MESLS's advanced-level (level six) Speaking and Grammar, Reading & Writing, and Speaking & Listening courses, earning, at least, an "AB" average overall, and no lower than a "8" in any single course. Students must arrange to have these results and a recommendation from MESLS forwarded to the UW-Whitewater School of Graduate Studies.


    • Completion of advanced academic language study at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point English as a Second Language program ( Students must provide a letter of recommendation and completion of Level 4 (Advanced) coursework at UW-Stevens Point English as a Second Language program with a score of 80% or higher forwarded to the UW-Whitewater School of Graduate Studies.


    • Documentation from an Intensive English Institute accredited by CEA (the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation) or affiliated with a U.S. university of completion of advanced academic language study coursework will also be considered on a case-by-case basis.

    Applicants are exempt from having to demonstrate the Advanced Academic English Language Proficiency requirement if they:

    • have earned a bachelor’s degree from an English-speaking country (click here)
    • have attended a U.S. college or university continuously for more than one year or have a completed U.S. undergraduate degree.
    • have received an undergraduate degree from a foreign institution where English is the language of instruction.
    • have resided and worked in the U.S. for more than one year without being a student.

  3. Send a completed certification of finances form to the School of Graduate Studies to demonstrate that there is adequate financial support available during the planned period of study. Forms are located at
  4. Have a former professor send a letter of recommendation directly to the School of Graduate Studies attesting to the student's ability to pursue graduate study in the United States.

Reactivation. Applicants who do not enroll in graduate course work at UW-Whitewater within a calendar year of the beginning of the term for which they were admitted and students who have not enrolled in graduate course work within a calendar year are considered inactive. Inactive students and students who have completed their degree programs must update and reactivate their files by completing a reactivation form before they will be eligible to register for graduate courses. Forms are available at

Transfer of Credit. All course work, with the exception of up to nine units, must be completed at UW-Whitewater. Additional course work taken at other institutions may allow specific program requirements to be waived; however, no more than nine transfer units may be applied towards the unit requirements of a degree program. Some specific consortium arrangements between UW-Whitewater and other institutions may allow more than nine units to be completed at the participating institutions.

Units for a course completed at another institution may be transferred to UW-Whitewater and applied toward a graduate degree provided (1) the institution offering the course is regionally accredited at the graduate level, (2) the course appears as a graduate course on the student's graduate transcript from the institution offering the course, (3) the course is applicable toward a graduate degree at the institution offering the course, (4) the course is appropriate for the student's proposed graduate degree program at UW-Whitewater, (5) the course is not a correspondence course, nor was it taught in a format less rigorous than that for UW-Whitewater courses, and (6) the student earned a grade of at least B (3.00) for the course (B- is less than a 3.00 and will not be transferable). All requests to apply course work taken by a student prior to being accepted into a degree program at UW-Whitewater toward the degree requirements must be included in the application for admission to the degree program.

Students who have already been admitted to a degree program here and who wish to take a course at another institution and have it transferred to UW-Whitewater, must obtain permission prior to enrolling in the course. Forms for this prior approval are available at The institution at which the student wishes to earn graduate credit may also require documentation of the student's graduate status at UW-Whitewater.

Questions for the comprehensive examination for the master's degree may be included from courses accepted in transfer to UW-Whitewater. Students should contact their degree program coordinator about this matter.

The 12 unit limit on courses taken prior to program admission does not apply to changes in emphasis within any of the degree programs.

Submission. All application credentials must be sent to the School of Graduate Studies, Roseman 2013, UW-Whitewater, Whitewater, Wisconsin 53190-1790.

Application Material Policy. Admission materials become the property of the University and are not returned to applicants or forwarded to other institutions.

Deadlines. Applications will not be processed until all of the above credentials have been received. All application material (including transcripts and other material that may be required) must be received at least 45 days prior to the start of classes to be considered for admission for a given term.

Please note: Individual programs may have earlier deadlines. Information on deadlines for specific degree programs is found in the Degree Programs section of this catalog.

In order to ensure receipt of all application materials by the deadline, applications should be submitted at least three months before the beginning of the term the applicant plans to attend. Applications received or completed fewer than 45 days prior to the start of classes will be considered for admission for the following term.

Students whose applications for program admission are pending may enroll in course work as noncandidate for degree students, but are subject to the twelve unit limit on course work that may be taken prior to the term of a program admission and then applied toward the completion of a degree.

Pending Degree-Bearing Transcripts. Application for admission will be considered during the applicant's last term of undergraduate study; however, admission will be conditional upon the applicant attaining the baccalaureate degree and meeting all the requirements for admission.

Acceptance. After application credentials have been evaluated, students will be notified of their admission status. If accepted into a degree program, they will be assigned an adviser and sent an admission letter. The letter will include an assigned student ID number and information on how to register for courses.

Advising. Students are assigned faculty advisers by, and generally within, their major or emphasis department. Advisers are available to help plan each student's program of study and to assist in the selection of courses before students register for classes.

Graduate students who seek state professional education licensure should also contact the Director of Licensure for current licensure requirements. See section on Admission to Professional Education in this catalog.


In addition to the graduate school academic requirements and policies, it is the prerogative of each graduate degree program to impose more stringent requirements. A graduate student is responsible for meeting all degree requirements in effect at UW-Whitewater during the term for which the student is admitted into the current degree program unless the student’s attendance at UW-Whitewater is interrupted by an absence of four or more consecutive academic sessions (including summers), in which case upon reentry, the student will be subject to the requirements in effect at that time.

General graduate school academic requirements and policies (contained in this section) may be changed by the actions of the Graduate Council. Each graduate student is responsible for adhering to all current graduate school policies. Students are apprised of updated graduate policies through the schedule of classes. Information about changes in general graduate school policies is also available at or contact the Graduate Studies Office.

Academic Probation. Students in degree programs who fail to maintain at least a 3.00 overall grade point average for all graduate work completed at UW-Whitewater are placed on academic probation. A student on academic probation must attain at least a 3.00 overall grade point average within the next 12 graduate units attempted at UW-Whitewater (including courses that are repeated) in order to be returned to good standing status. Failure to accomplish this will result in the student being dropped from the degree program with ineligibility to take further graduate work in that degree program.

Time Limit. Domestic students have seven years and international students have two years in which to complete their degree program, measured from the beginning of the term in which the first course to be included in the degree was completed, but not later than the beginning of the term for which they were admitted. Based upon good cause, students may request an extension of this time limit. Such requests should be made in writing, should include the reasons for which the request is being made, and should be directed to the student’s degree program coordinator.

Requests for extensions not exceeding two additional years will be considered and acted upon by the faculty of the degree program or the degree program coordinator. Requests for extensions beyond two additional years will be considered, with the recommendation of the program coordinator, by the School of Graduate Studies. Requests for extensions beyond those additional two years will be considered only in cases of extreme and unavoidable hardship; such requests must also be acted upon by the Committee on Exceptions to Graduate Policy, and must carry the endorsement of the degree program coordinator. All student requests for extensions are reported by degree program coordinators to the Graduate Studies Office on the appropriate form.

Licensure. Many degree programs allow students to attain licensure within the degree program. However, licensure requirements are different from degree requirements. Questions about licensure should be directed to the Licensure Office. Please see the section on Admission to Professional Education in this catalog for more information.

Course Repeats. Graduate students are allowed to repeat at most two courses in their degree programs. Courses may be repeated only once. When a course is repeated, the original course and grade remain on the transcript; however, the last grade and units earned replace the originals and are the only ones used in computing the grade point average in the degree and emphasis. Students who have been dropped from a degree program may not use the course repeat process to gain readmission into that degree program.

Credit Restrictions. Undergraduate courses, including those taken to make up deficiencies in background or in supervised teaching, will not be counted toward the number of graduate units required for a degree. Undergraduate courses may not be used to satisfy master’s degree requirements, and graduate courses may not be used to satisfy undergraduate requirements at UW-Whitewater.
The minimum required overall grade point average for graduation will be 3.00. No course in the major or emphasis or any other required course in which a grade of below C (2.00) has been earned may be applied toward the completion of any degree. However, some programs may require higher standards.

During a semester, students may register for at most 15 units, while those on probation should not take more than 12 units. Graduate assistants must be registered for at least nine graduate units, but no more than 12 units each semester. During the 12-week summer session, students are limited to a total of 12 units. Courses taken on an audit basis are subject to the above limits.

A student may not carry more than three units of individual studies in a single term. Not more than four units in individual studies, not more than six units of special studies, and not more than a combined total of nine units of individual studies, workshops, and special studies may be applied toward the completion of a degree. Departments retain the prerogative of allowing fewer than nine of these types of units to apply toward their respective graduate degrees.

Course Retakes. A course taken for undergraduate credit may not later be changed to graduate credit. Courses taken for undergraduate credit may not be retaken for graduate credit. Although, exceptions may be granted by the student’s degree program coordinator when the field of knowledge has changed to the degree that the course content has changed substantially from the first time the student took the course to the present. Graduate courses may not be retaken unless indicated otherwise in the Graduate Catalog.

Exceptions, Grievances, and Grade Appeals Graduate students are responsible for meeting the terms and conditions of the School of Graduate Studies and the individual program requirements. Unusual circumstances may give rise to request specific exceptions to policy, provide grounds for filing a grievance, or provide a basis for appealing a grade. Each scenario has its own procedure.

Exceptions to Graduate Policy

In cases where exception to graduate school policies or other regulations seems justified, a student should follow this procedure:

  1. Request for specific exception to graduate school policy is presented by the student in writing to the graduate program coordinator of his/her program. This request should include clearly stated reasons that may justify an exception and should be submitted to the program at least 30 days before the term for which the request would be effective.
  2. The graduate program (or academic department) will forward the student’s request and the program’s recommendation regarding the request to the School of Graduate Studies.
  3. The School of Graduate Studies will convene the Committee on Exceptions to Graduate Policy for consideration of the request. (The Committee is made up of one graduate faculty representative from each of the four colleges and one graduate student representative.) Students will be notified of the Committee’s decision within one week.
  4. Actions by the Committee on Exceptions to Graduate Policy are binding. Decisions may be appealed to the Provost, in writing, within thirty days of the student being notified of actions/decisions. However, the Provost isn’t authorized to overturn a decision made by the Committee. The Provost can only request the Committee reconsider the decision.

Requests for exceptions involving college or department policies, procedures, or other academic matters, including those that supersede graduate school policy, will be resolved by the appropriate unit within the college. Such appeals are initiated by students through their advisers. Since NCFD students are not assigned an adviser, they may appeal directly to the college or department where the problem occurred. In either case, appropriate appeal procedures will then be followed as established by the individual college or department within the college.


A grievance is a request for specific action to solve a problem or redress an injury done to the individual presenting it. When that individual is a student and is responding to treatment received as a student, it is a student grievance. However, if a student wishes to challenge an academic decision that impacts their grade, the Student Grade Appeal procedures should be used.

A grievance may concern the actions taken by any UW-Whitewater employee who is a member of any college, department, office, administrative unit or committee of the University. A grievance may not necessarily be directed at a particular individual but rather at a policy or rule which the student believes to be unfair. The basis for a grievance is to raise a problem for the purpose of resolving it by the parties closest to it. This is true whether the issues involve an instructor, administrator, service personnel or members of any University department, college, division, administrative unit or committee.

A cause of action would involve a specific injury to the student or a specific problem. A remedy should be available. If no remedy is available or if punishment of someone is sought, the procedures for complaints rather than grievances should be used (see University Handbook, Sections VI-F and VI-A). Process timelines are established to enable review and resolution within a reasonable time after the problem occurred. This assists problem solving when memories and facts are still fresh. Written appeals and responses need not be lengthy but rather describe events, relevant facts and reasoning, so that parties are clear about what is at issue and why decisions are being made the way they are.

The following are the steps, both informal and formal, that the University has established relevant to the resolution of a grievance.

  1. Problem occurs.
  2. Within 14 calendar days, discuss it with the person whose actions are in question (informal).
  3. If no satisfaction, within 7 calendar days, talk it over with the chair or supervisor of the person (informal).
  4. Chair/supervisor will attempt to resolve within 14 calendar days (informal).
  5. If no satisfaction, student has 7 calendar days to write it up as a formal grievance, including why dissatisfied with recommended resolution and propose a remedy (formal).
  6. Within 14 calendar days, the dean or director will attempt resolution or make the final decision (formal).

Grade Appeals

At the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater it is expected that instructors will evaluate students regularly and consistently by criteria and guidelines presented to students at the beginning of each grading period. If a student has reason to believe the grade is incorrect, the student may act on that by taking the following steps in chronological order. A complaint which is timely and filed under any other student complaint procedure and then referred for processing under these procedures, shall be
considered to have met the deadline for filing as a grade appeal. The process for filing a grade appeal is the same at the graduate and undergraduate levels, and begins with an informal process, before moving to a formal process.

Informal Process

  1. Consult the instructor whose grade is being appealed. This consultation must take place within 7 calendar days of start of classes after the grading period in question.
  2. If the student/instructor conference is unsatisfactory or if the instructor is unwilling or unable to participate, within 7 calendar days the student may schedule a conference with the chair of the department in which the course was offered.
  3. After hearing the student's appeal, the chair will attempt to resolve the problem within 7 calendar days.
  4. If this resolution is unsatisfactory, the student may then, within 7 calendar days after receiving the chairperson's response, submit a written appeal to the department's Grade Appeals Committee through the chairperson. This will initiate the Formal Appeal Process.

Formal Process

  1. The appeal must be in writing and signed by the student.
  2. The Department Grade Appeals Committee will (i) convene to examine the appeal, the response and render its conclusion in writing to the chair, student and instructor, within 14 calendar days of receipt of the appeal. (ii) While the Grade Appeals Committee cannot require the instructor to change a student's grade, the Committee can recommend such a change to the instructor and to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies.
  3. Should the student wish to appeal beyond the department, the student may submit the Committee findings and the basis for the further appeal to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies, within 3 calendar days of presentation of Committee findings. The Dean will review the student's appeal and the findings of the Committee, and recommend appropriate action to the department and the instructor within 14 days of receipt of the appeal.
  4. If this action is unsatisfactory to the student, a final appeal may be made to the Provost who will determine whether a change in grade is to be made within 14 days of receipt of the appeal. The Provost is the only individual authorized to change a student grade without the instructor's permission. However, the Provost may change a grade only when the faculty department committee and the Dean support such a change.

Graduate student satisfaction with their educational experience remains a preeminent concern of the Office of Graduate Studies. Students who have questions, concerns or grievances about non-policy related issues are encouraged to contact the Office of Graduate Studies (262) 472-1006


Before the beginning of the term in which a degree is expected, students should meet with their advisers to make sure that all course requirements are being met. A student’s degree program coordinator is responsible for certifying that the student has met all of the academic requirements for graduation.

No student may receive a degree until all I and IP grades have been cleared and the student is in good standing with at least a 3.00 grade point average in the graduate level credits earned in the degree program and in the emphasis area.

Also, all financial obligations to the University must be cleared by the Accounting Office before students may be issued diplomas and final transcripts of their academic records.

Application for Graduation. Students must file applications for graduation and a diploma with the Graduate Studies Office within the first two weeks of the semester or the first week of the summer session in which they plan to graduate. An application for graduation also serves as an application for the comprehensive examination. Forms are available at or at the Graduate Studies Office.

A graduation fee must be paid no later than one month before the date of graduation regardless of whether or not students attend the voluntary commencement ceremony. The fee is payable to UW-Whitewater and should be sent to the Cashier's Office. The fee is published in the current schedule of classes. If a student fails to graduate during the intended term, a new application form for graduation must be filed in the subsequent term, although the graduation fee does not have to be paid again. An exit survey is required of all students completing a degree program.

Minimum Degree Credit Requirements to Graduate. All graduate degree programs at UW-Whitewater require at least 30 graduate units distributed according to the requirements of the individual programs. The minimum unit requirements and unit distribution for specific degree programs are stated in this catalog under program descriptions.

At least half of the graduate work in a degree program and at least half of the work in an emphasis within the program must be completed in courses numbered 700 or higher. In addition, a grade point average of at least 3.00 (B) overall in the graduate work taken toward the degree, as well as in all the graduate work taken in the student’s emphasis, is required for graduation.

Master Degree Program Options. At the discretion of the individual degree programs, the following options are available to students completing a master's degree:

Comprehensive examination option. A minimum of 30 unit hours of course work, including a comprehensive examination.

Thesis option. A minimum of 30 unit hours of course work, including a thesis taken for one to six units.

Applied research project option. A minimum of 30 unit hours of course work, including completion of an applied research project course for one to six units.

Course work option. A minimum of 36 credit hours of course work.

Degree programs may set additional requirements for any of these plans. Students should check with their degree Program Coordinator for the options available and for the requirements within each option.

When options exist, students should consult their adviser early in their studies to determine which capstone experience best meets their needs. A thesis may be advised for those who wish to seek depth in an academic area, while those who prefer a breadth of knowledge may select comprehensive examinations.

Students formally declare the thesis option by registering for the course, 799 Thesis Research, after completing a Thesis Proposal Form online at and submitting it to the Graduate Studies Office.

Students declare the comprehensive examination option by submitting their graduation application and checking on the form that they plan to take the comprehensive examination.

After declaring an option, students are permitted to change options only once. Changing options penalizes students who have either prepared a thesis or invested time preparing for the comprehensive examination. Changes in options must occur before students have failed twice in their first option. Failure occurs when a student's comprehensive examination is adjudged a failure or at any time a student's thesis committee formally indicates failure.

Second Degree/Emphasis Policy. Students may not receive a master's degree from a degree program in which they already hold a master's degree, although they may complete a second emphasis within a degree program.

Comprehensive Examination. Students must complete a minimum of 30 unit hours of graduate course work and pass a comprehensive examination in the major or emphasis field under the comprehensive examination option. Examinations may be written and/or oral at the discretion of the degree program. Written examinations are intended to take approximately six hours to complete. Questions may cover any graduate work done in the major or emphasis, including units transferred from other institutions.

Comprehensive examinations are administered once near the end of each term. In general, students may not take the examination until during or after the final term of their course work. Exceptions may be made for students who have a practicum or a semester of student teaching remaining. To be eligible to take the examination, students must have cleared all pending incomplete (I) and progress (P) grades and must be in good standing with at least a 3.00 grade point average in the graduate level credits earned in the degree program and in the emphasis area.

Comprehensive examinations are graded either “passed” or “failed.” Students who fail the examination may retake it after completing additional work, as designated by those administering the examination, in a subsequent term. Students may retake comprehensive examinations at most twice after an initial failure and after the required additional work has been completed following each failure. Specific programs may have more stringent rules.

Thesis. The thesis option requires a minimum of 30 units of graduate course work including a thesis for which up to six units may be earned and applied toward the completion of course and credit requirements in the degree program. Because a thesis is a culminating experience for a degree, only students electing the thesis option within a degree program may register for 799 Thesis Research. Students wishing to pursue significant research projects outside of the thesis requirement for a degree may register for 798 Individual Studies. Students electing to write a thesis in a degree program must formally enroll and pay fees for at least one credit of 799 Thesis Research. Before being allowed to register for 799 Thesis Research, a student must submit to the Graduate Studies Office a thesis proposal form indicating the thesis topic, the proposed number of units, and the thesis adviser. This form, signed by the thesis adviser, must be on file before a student will be allowed to register for 799 Thesis Research. Enrollment and fee payment for 799 Thesis Research is done only once even though the thesis may require more than one term to complete. With the adviser's permission, in succeeding terms students may increase the number of thesis units up to the maximum of six by submitting a revised thesis proposal form, then adding and paying for the additional units. Students may download the thesis proposal form at

Theses vary in type, style, length, and content. They range from research projects to art exhibits. A thesis, however, must involve enrollment in 799 Thesis Research, an oral examination on the thesis, and the filing of the thesis in the Andersen Library. A thesis, including an art show, must have abstracts and are expected to contain evidence of research on the part of the student and must be submitted in a form and quality specified by the School of Graduate Studies. These standards and guidelines are available at the Graduate Studies Office and online at Unless a department informs the Dean of Graduate Studies in writing that it has adopted some other style manual, theses should be prepared according to the most current edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. Two copies of the thesis and its abstract must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies Office by the end of the term in which the student plans to graduate. One copy is the original thesis, typed or printed on rag paper. The thesis must not be hole punched. The second is an electronic copy in Portable Document Format (pdf). The Library has a copy of Adobe Acrobat accessible that students can convert their thesis from Word to pdf. Degrees are not conferred until these requirements have been met.

Students also must pass an oral examination over their thesis administered by an appointed thesis committee. The oral examination will be held in an open meeting, announced at least one week prior to the examination. A student’s committee will consist of a minimum of three persons, two of whom, including the committee chairperson, must have graduate faculty status. Committee members may be brought in from outside the faculty of the degree program. The majority of the thesis committee members must sign the signature page of the thesis, signifying acceptance by the committee of the thesis.

The thesis committee chair’s signature signifies successful completion of the oral examination.  

In general, students may not take the oral examination until
the term in which they expect to graduate. To be eligible to take the oral examination, students must have cleared all pending incomplete (I) and progress (IP) grades except for thesis research, and must be in good standing with at least a 3.00 grade point average in the graduate level units earned in the degree program and in the emphasis area.

All 799 Thesis Research courses are graded on a pass/fail (S/F) basis. A grade of pass (S) for 799 Thesis Research is not awarded until the oral examination is passed and the thesis is filed in the Graduate Studies Office.

A student who switches from a thesis option must have a revised program completion plan approved by the program coordinator. The School of Graduate Studies Office will then initiate a late drop or retroactive withdrawal, dropping any existing 799 Thesis Research units which show a grade of progress (IP). A withdraw (W) grade will be recorded.


UW-Whitewater FERPA Policy Statement FERPA - Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Interpretations of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (also known as FERPA or the Buckley Amendment) have important implications for the handling and releasing of student education record information by campus offices and school officials. FERPA applies to the “education records” (see next paragraph for definition) of “students”.

"Students" are defined as those individuals who have applied for formal admission to UW-Whitewater, were admitted, and are or have been enrolled in classes for credit at the University. FERPA does not apply to records of applicants for formal admission to the University who are denied acceptance or, if accepted, do not enroll in classes for credit. In addition, rights are not given by FERPA to students enrolled in one component of UW-Whitewater who seek to be admitted in another component (e.g., a student enrolled in an undergraduate degree program, but is denied admission to a graduate program, does not have any FERPA rights in the graduate program which denied him/her admission).

“Education records” are those records that are directly related to a student and that are maintained by the University or by a school official who serves the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including student employees or agents of the University, persons/companies with whom the University has contracted, persons serving on official campus committees, or persons assisting other school officials in performing their tasks).

FERPA indicates that "education records" do not include:

  • Sole possession records. Records of instructional, supervisory, administrative, and certain educational personnel which are in the sole possession of the maker and are not accessible or revealed to any other individual except a substitute who performs on a temporary basis the duties of the individual who made the records.

    Important exception: Notes taken in conjunction with any other person are not “sole possession records”. Sharing information with another person or placing information where it can be viewed by others makes it an “education record” and subject to FERPA.

  • Law enforcement unit records. Records maintained by a law enforcement unit of UW-Whitewater that were created by that unit for the purpose of law enforcement.

    Important exception: Placing law enforcement records where they can be viewed or accessed by others outside the law enforcement unit makes them “education records” and subject to FERPA.

  • Employment records. Records relating to individuals who are employed by UW-Whitewater which are made and maintained in the normal course of business and relate exclusively to individuals in their capacity as employees, and are not available for any other purpose.

    Important exception: Records of students who are employed as a result of their status as students are “education records” (e.g., work-study, graduate assistants) and subject to FERPA.

  • Doctor-patient privilege (medical) records. Records relating to a student which are (1) created or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional acting in his/her professional capacity or assisting in a paraprofessional capacity; (2) used solely in connection with the provision of treatment to the student; and (3) not disclosed to anyone other than individuals providing such treatment, so long as the records can be personally reviewed by a physician or other appropriate professional of the student’s choice.

  • Post-attendance records. Records that contain only information relating to a person after that person is no longer a student at UW-Whitewater (e.g., information gathered on the accomplishments of alumni).

    The essence of FERPA can be summarized by the following two points:

  • CONFIDENTIALITY – School officials must protect the privacy of education records and shall not disclose personally identifiable information about a student or permit inspection of the student’s records without his/her written consent unless such action is covered by certain exceptions permitted by FERPA. The student’s written, signed consent must:
    • Specify the records to be released;
    • Identify the party or class of parties to whom the records should be released;
    • Indicate the reason for the release.

    A consent form can be downloaded from the web at: (under the FERPA section, click on "Authorization to Release Records")

  • ACCESS - A student must be permitted to inspect his/her own education records (see "Student Access to Education Records" section for information about the process for inspecting education records). FERPA provides the student the right to:
    • Inspect and review his/her education records;
    • Request an amendment to the education records if he/she believes there is an inaccuracy;
    • Restrict the release of his/her "Directory Information" from public access;
    • File a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education is he/she feels the University has failed to follow FERPA guidelines. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is: Family Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW., Washington, D.C. 20202-4605.

Confidentiality of Student Education Records.

FERPA generally prohibits the release of confidential personally identifiable student data from education records, with limited exceptions that include “Directory Information” (see below), without the student’s written, signed consent.

Personally identifiable student data, other than “directory information” for students who have not restricted its release, are confidential. Examples of confidential information include, but are not limited to, ID number, social security number, date of birth, ethnicity, gender, country of citizenship, percentile ranks, class schedules (including meeting times and locations), grades, and grade point averages.

Parents have no inherent rights to inspect or receive information about their children’s education records. Parents of a dependent (as defined for federal income tax purposes) student may request their child’s education record information only after providing notarized copies of both the most recent federal income tax return filed that shows the student listed as a dependent and a letter of intent to claim the student as a dependent on the next federal income tax return. Absent this information, UW-Whitewater shall not disclose a student’s education record information to a parent without the written consent of the student.

FERPA provides certain exceptions for the release of personally identifiable education record information without the student’s written consent. These exceptions include:

  • Directory Information. UW-Whitewater determines the following to be student "directory information" which is available to the public if the student has not restricted its release:
  • Names, addresses (including email), and telephone numbers;
  • Dates of attendance (including term units carried and full-time/part-time status);
  • Classification (e.g. sophomore, senior, graduate student):
  • Major/minor/degree program;
  • Degrees conferred (including dates/anticipated dates);
  • Previous institution(s) attended;
  • Awards and academic honors
  • Participation in officially recognized sports and activities;
  • Physical factors (weight and height) of members of athletic teams.

A student has the right to restrict the release of his/her directory information. Any student who wishes to do so must complete and file the “Request To Prevent Disclosure Of Directory Information” form in the transcripts department of the Registrar’s Office, Baker Hall, lower level. The restriction will remain in effect until the student files written notification with the Registrar’s Office to have it removed. A student who has ceased attending UW-Whitewater, and whose directory information was not restricted in his/her last term of attendance, does not have the right to restrict the release of directory information until such time as he/she re-enrolls at the University.

"Legitimate Educational Interest". Personally identifiable education record information may be disclosed without the student's written consent to UW-Whitewater officials who are determined to have a "legitimate educational interest" - a right to know and a need to know (i.e., the information is necessary to fulfill the official's professional responsibility to UW-Whitewater). Legitimate educational interest means there is an educationally related purpose that has a directly identifiable educational relationship to the student involved and underlies the request. The following criteria shall be taken into account in determining the legitimacy of a UW-Whitewater school official's access to records:

  • The official must seek the information within the context of his/her professionally assigned University responsibilities;
  • The information sought must be used within the context of official University business;
  • The information requested must be relevant and necessary to the accomplishment of some task or to make some determination within the scope of the official's University employment.

Disclosure of education record information to a school official having a legitimate educational interest does not constitute institutional authorization for that school official to transmit, share, or disclose any or all of that information to a third party. A disclosure of personally identifiable information from the education record of a student, without the student’s written consent, is prohibited unless the disclosure meets one of the specific exceptions cited in FERPA as outlined in the following section.

Education record information may be disclosed without the student's written consent in the following instances:

a) To the student.

b) If it is "Directory Information" and the student has not restricted its release.

c) If properly subpoenaed pursuant to a judicial, legislative, or administrative proceeding, provided UW- Whitewater will make a reasonable attempt to notify the student of the subpoena, in cases where FERPA applies, prior to the release of the information.

d) In connection with the student's application or receipt of financial aid as necessary to determine the eligibility, amount or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms or conditions of the aid.

e) In connection with audits or evaluation of federal or state supported educational programs requiring disclosure of information.

f) To effect collection of past due financial obligations to the University.

g) To attorneys representing the University when the data on the student is deemed necessary for the defense of the University in a suit filed by the student.

h) To schools in which the student seeks or intends to enroll.

i) To authorized representatives of the Comptroller General of the United States, the Attorney General of the United States, the Secretary of the Department of Education, or state or local educational authorities.

j) To the Veterans Administration to determine compliance with educational assistance.

k) To organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of the University.

l) In connection with a health or safety emergency as determined by the University.

m) In connection with a crime of violence or a nonforcible sex offense. The University has the discretion to disclose the final results of any disciplinary proceeding against a student who is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a nonforcible sex offense if, as a result of that disciplinary proceeding, the University has determined that the student in fact committed the crime or offense. The definition of "final results" is limited solely to the name of the student, the violation committed, and any sanction imposed by the University on that student. Only where a victim or witness has provided written consent may the University disclose the name of that student.

n) The University may disclose to a student's parent or legal guardian information regarding any drug or alcohol violation (whether pursuant to federal, state, or local law or institutional policy) where the student is under 21 years of age and the University has determined the student has committed a disciplinary violation.

UW-Whitewater school officials conducting research using student education records will be asked to explain the use of the records in writing. Student organizations that need confidential information about their members must obtain the signatures of all members on a form explaining how the information is to be used (the signatures must be obtained before the information will be released).

School officials who have access to student education record information assume the legal responsibility for protecting the privacy and security of the information.

Student Access to Education Records. The student will have access to education records directly related to him/her that are maintained by the University, or any of its agents, and to which FERPA applies.

A student may request access to review and inspect his/her education records by writing to the University official (registrar, dean, department chair, or other appropriate person/office) responsible for the records. The written request must indicate the records the student wishes to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct person/office to whom the request should be addressed and it becomes the student’s responsibility to submit the request to that person/office. Upon receipt of the written request, the University has 45 days to comply. FERPA does not provide the student with the right to access certain records, including:

i. Sole possession records

ii. Parents' financial records used for financial aid purposes;

iii. Confidential letters and statements of recommendation placed in the student's record prior to January 1, 1975, or confidential recommendations to which the student has given prior written waiver of access and which are used for job placement, admission, or award purposes;

iv. Law enforcement unit records;

v. Certain employment records;

vi. Doctor-patient privilege (medical) records;

vii. Post-attendance records.

A student has the right to request an amendment of his/her education record that is believed to be inaccurate. However, FERPA was not intended to provide a process to be used by the student to question substantive judgments that are correctly recorded. The FERPA rights of challenge are not intended to allow a student to contest, for example, a grade in a course because he/she felt a higher grade should have been assigned. FERPA is intended to ensure the factual and accurate nature of the information in the student's educational records and the student's right to verify that information.

In those cases where FERPA intended to provide a student the right to request an amendment to an education record, the student should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record s/he wants changed, and specify why it is inaccurate. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of this right.

In the process of challenging the education record information, the student may wish to have copies of appropriate documents in his/her education record file. The University may assess the student a reasonable per copy fee for such documents. This charge does not apply to copies of the student’s official academic transcript (there is a $7.00 to $12.00 charge for each official transcript). A request for a
copy of any document in an education record will be denied if the student has a hold/service indicator on his/her records that prevents the release of the official academic transcript, or if the document is a transcript of an original or source document which exists elsewhere.

If UW-Whitewater decides, as a result of a hearing, not to amend the education record in accordance with the student’s request, the student may place a written statement in the record commenting upon the information therein, and/or setting forth any reason for disagreement with the institutional decision not to amend the record. Such a statement will become part of the student’s education record and will be disclosed with it.

The student has a right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by UW-Whitewater to comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Use of Human Subjects in Research. Federal law and University policy requires that all research projects involving human subjects be designed as much as possible to protect the rights of the participants. This pertains to projects for classes on research methodology, independent studies, and thesis research. Prior to initiation of the work, each proposal involving human subjects and its provisions for their protection must be reviewed and approved by the Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects (IRB). This includes surveys. Research that has not been reviewed and approved by the IRB will not be covered by the UW-Whitewater liability insurance.

It is the policy of UW-Whitewater that all research shall be conducted under the supervision of a qualified faculty or staff member. Therefore, all students must submit a complete IRB protocol review form signed by the faculty advisor.

All IRB forms and guidelines can be obtained from the Research and Sponsored Programs Office, 2237 Anderson Library; or from the web Call (262) 472-5212 with questions and document requests.

Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. All students involved in research-related care and use of animals and all facilities used for such animals must operate within the guidelines of federal and campus regulations. Copies of pertinent materials may be obtained from Research and Sponsored Programs Office, 2237 Anderson Library, (262) 472-5212 or from the web  


Registration. Official registration for any session is accomplished only after students have been admitted and granted permission to register by receiving an admission letter from the Graduate Studies Office and have completed the registration process via WINS. Students may not attend a course/section without properly registering for it or adding it to their class schedule. Registration may not be permitted for any session after the last date of registration. The University reserves the right to close registration before the deadline if its enrollment capacity has been reached. Visit the Registrar's home page for questions on registering

Schedule of Classes. Published each term by the Registrar’s Office, it includes all policies, procedures, courses offered with their requisites, and other information pertinent to registration. Online viewing at

Changes in Registration. Students who intend to make a change to their class schedule, including withdrawal from the University, are subject to the procedures, deadlines, and fee refund policies that are printed in the Schedule of Classes for the given term. Failure to follow the procedures and meet the deadlines may result in students receiving failing grades for not completing the course work and/or responsibility for payment of tuition/fee charges.

In general, students may not add a course after the first week of classes in a regular academic term. If a student drops a course after the tenth day of the Fall or Spring term, a "W" grade will be recorded on the student's academic record (deadline prorated for shorter terms/sessions-see Schedule of Classes). After the sixth week in a regular academic term, or after 33% of the class days have passed in Summer session(s) or a Winterim term, drops are only processed through the instructor by appeal. Forms for late dropping of a course after the deadline are available in departmental offices or online at


Students who find it necessary to withdraw from all courses and leave the University during a term or session should contact the Registrar’s office to initiate a withdrawal. The contact can be done in one of the following four ways.

  • Complete the online withdrawal form at, or
  • Send an email to
  • Send a letter by post to:
    Registrar’s Office,
    800 W Main St
    Whitewater, WI 53190
  • Send a letter by fax to (262) 472-1370

The email, letter, or fax should contain the student’s full name, 7-digit UW-W ID number, the term (e.g., Fall 2011), and a brief statement indicating the student’s intent to withdraw from the term indicated. The withdrawal will be processed as of the date the email was sent, the postmark date of the mailed letter, or the day the letter is faxed to the above number.

  1. If the withdrawal is initiated within the first ten class days of the Fall/Spring term, there will be no academic penalty, but the date of withdrawal will be noted on the student’s academic transcript.
  2. If the withdrawal is after the tenth day of classes in a Fall/Spring term or the fifth day in the full Summer session, “W” grades will be recorded for each of the courses in which the student is enrolled at the time of withdrawal and the date of withdrawal will be noted on a student’s academic transcript.
  3. If withdrawal is after the tenth day of classes, but the student was enrolled for 6 or more units on the tenth day, a whole or partial term of eligibility will have been lost for financial aid.
  4. The last day to withdraw from the University is 15 days prior to the end of the Fall/Spring term (exam days included; Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays excluded), as published in the Schedule of Classes.
  5. Withdrawals initiated after the published deadline of the last day to withdraw will result in the student receiving grades of “F” in those courses which are not being passed at the time of withdrawal, and the student may be suspended for not meeting the minimum grade point requirement.
  6. Withdrawal may affect financial aid eligibility.

Failure to officially withdraw when leaving the University may result in students receiving failing grades in those courses for which they were enrolled. This may cause a problem with an attempt to return to the University or to transfer to another institution. If students must withdraw for medical or family emergency reasons, they may appeal to the Office of Student Life. Information concerning the medical withdrawal process can be found at

Course.Courses at UW-Whitewater are designated by an abbreviated subject name of the department that is offering the course and by a three digit course number. The three digit number indicates the level of the course. Courses numbered 500 or higher are graduate courses, where as those numbered under 500 are undergraduate courses.

Grading System. (Effective Fall 2013) Students may earn regular grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F in graduate courses. Grading is based upon a 4.00 system: each term unit of A is assigned four grade points, each term unit of A- is assigned 3.67 grade points, each term unit of B+ is assigned 3.33 grade points, each term unit of B is assigned three grade points, etc. Students’ degree grade point averages and their grade point averages in a major or emphasis area are calculated upon the graduate course work attempted at UW-Whitewater. Students’ overall UW-Whitewater grade point averages (shown on transcripts) are calculated solely upon all the graduate course work attempted at UW-Whitewater.

In addition to the regular grades mentioned above, instructors may assign special grades in certain situations. A grade of S denotes the student has passed a graduate level course taken on a pass/fail basis. Students registered for a course on this basis receive either an S or an F. While grades of F count in computing grade point averages, S grades do not. Instructors decide what constitutes pass for their courses. Students should request the criteria prior to the deadline for changing registration (see the term's Schedule of Classes for course change deadlines). All 799 Thesis Research courses are graded on a pass/fail basis. Workshops may be taken on a pass/fail basis. Other courses made available by departments on a pass/fail only basis are so indicated in advance in the Schedule of Classes. Since the decision on whether a course taken on a pass/fail basis will count in a degree program rests with the degree program, students should attain appropriate permission from the degree program coordinator prior to taking a course pass/fail.

A grade of NC indicates an unsuccessful attempt of a practicum graded on a satisfactory/no credit basis. This grade differs from an F in that it is not computed in the grade point average.

In courses designed to extend beyond the term of registration, e.g., thesis research, instructors may assign a grade of IP to indicate "in progress" toward completion. In courses not designed to extend beyond the term of registration, instructors may assign a grade of I to indicate a student’s course work was incomplete due to documented extenuating circumstances. Neither IP nor I grades are calculated into the term or cumulative grade point averages. An I grade is accompanied by a signed contract in which the instructor specifies the work to be completed by the student. An IP or I grade is replaced by a regular grade when the course work is completed. The grade point average for the term in which the course was registered, as well as for subsequent terms, and cumulative grade point averages will then be retroactively computed using the regular grade replacement. A regular grade cannot be changed to an IP or I on a temporary basis. With the exception of 799 Thesis Research, course work must be completed within one calendar year from the time the IP or I grade was assigned. The Registrar's Office automatically changes an I grade to an F when the work has not been completed by the deadline. Students may petition instructors for extensions of this deadline. Instructors granting extensions will then inform the Registrar's Office.

A grade of NN is recorded by the Registrar’s Office when an instructor does not report a grade for a student officially registered for the course. The student must take the initiative to remove or change any IP, I, or NN grades. The grading symbol for audit is X. This grade is not calculated in the grade point average and no credit is earned in courses registered under this option.  

Absences.The student who is absent should notify instructors by phone or in person of the absence as soon as possible and explain the nature of the situation and inquire about the effect of the absence on the student's course work. If contact with the instructors cannot be made directly, the student should call the academic departments involved. In serious situations where the student is incapacitated and temporarily unable to perform the aforementioned responsibilities, family members may contact the Office of New Student Programs & First Year Experience (phone 262-472-3205) for assistance with these matters. The New Student Programs & First Year Experience office would then provide notification (not verification) of the absence to the instructors involved; however, arrangements for makeup work, makeup exams or possible assignment adjustments are entirely the responsibility of the student. The Student Health Service and the New Student Programs & First Year Experience off ices do not provide excuses for absences from class due to illness. If students have questions or need consultation regarding specific situations, the are encouraged to contact their instructors or the academic departments involved.

Permanent Academic Record.A permanent academic record will be maintained in the Records Department of the Registrar’s Office. Students share in the responsibility for the accuracy of their records. Each term’s final grades should be reviewed carefully on WINS (grade reports are not mailed) and the Registrar’s Office should be contacted immediately if there are any errors. No changes will be made to course entries that are not appealed within two years of the posting date, and changes will not be made to a record after a degree is officially entered.

Add/Drop Policies and Procedures. Students who participate in priority registration may make schedule changes online via WINS through the deadline date (see Schedule of Classes). The last day to add a 17-week course is the fifth day of the term. The last day to add a short course (or 8-week course) is the second day of the term/session. Students must have written approval of the dean of the course to add a class after the last day to add a class has passed. Students may drop courses through the sixth week of the Fall/Spring Term. Short-term courses may be dropped through Friday of the week in which 33% of the course is completed. Drops must be done through WINS. There may be a charge for any course dropped after the first week of a term. Also refer to the Standards of Academic Progress in the Schedule of Classes located online at

A “W” grade will appear on student academic records (transcripts) for all full-term Fall or Spring courses dropped after the tenth day of instruction (the deadline is prorated for short-term or Summer term classes). This “W” grade notation will also appear on the records of students who withdraw from the University after the tenth day.

It is the student’s responsibility to officially drop any class in which he/she is registered and will not be attending. Failure to do so will subject the student to academic and/or financial penalties. Deadlines for dropping classes are published in the Schedule of Classes.

Audit Policy. Audit courses require the written permission of the instructor (and, in some cases, the department). Students registering for audit courses may do so on a space available basis and cannot change the courses to graded basis during the course of enrollment.

Off-campus courses, College of Business and Economics courses, and Distance Education courses cannot be audited. Auditing of Art department courses may be limited.

Audit-Only Enrollees:
Students who are auditing courses only may do so under the following stipulations:

  1. Wisconsin residents (Wis Stats 36-27 (2)) will pay 30% of the normal per unit resident academic fee and nonresidents will pay 50% of the normal nonresident fee per the fee chart. No audit fees will be assessed disabled Wisconsin residents who are receiving federal old age survivors and disability insurance benefits (OASDI) under 42 USC 401 to 433.
  2. Students must contact the Registrar's Office (Roseman 2032 472-1570) prior to the week before the start of term regarding their intent to register. Students will be registered (with instructor permission) beginning the week immediately prior to the start of the term.
  3. Any special course fees other than the normal tuition charges will be assessed and paid by the student.
  4. An audit (X) symbol will be recorded on the academic record provided the instructor reports satisfactory attendance.
  5. A fee of approximately $2.50 per unit will be assessed for required texts.
  6. Access to University services will be limited to the library and to nonsegregated fee funded activities of the University Center. A special identification card will be issued for auditors which will permit this limited access.
  7. Regent, University, and Student Government regulations applying to other students will apply equally to audit-only enrollees.
  8. Students having a disability for which they would like to request a reasonable accommodation to assure access to campus programs, activities, and services should contact the Center for Students with Disabilities, 2002 Anderson Library, or call 262/472-4711 for more information

Audit and Unit Combination Enrollees:
Students who are taking a combination of courses for regular credit and for audit will pay the regular fees for all units based upon the fee chart. The following stipulations will also apply:

  1. Students wishing to audit courses must obtain the audit registration form from the Registar's Office (Roseman 2032), acquire the instructors written approval, and return the completed form to the Registar's Office.
  2. No credit will be granted for the audit course, but an audit (X) symbol will appear on the academic record, provided the instructor reports satisfactory attendance.
  3. The audit course may be repeated for unit in another term.
  4. Audits do not count as units for either veteran benefit certification or financial aid consideration.

Withdrawal from the University. Students who find it necessary to leave the University while the term for which they are registered is still in session should report to the Registrar's office and initiate a withdrawal form. Please call the Registrar's office if questions arise at (262) 472-1570.

The following conditions apply:

  1. If the withdrawal is initiated within the first ten class days of the fall/spring term, there will be no academic penalty.
  2. If the withdrawal is after the tenth day of classes in a Fall/Spring Term or fifth day in summer session, "W" grades will be recorded for each of the courses in which the student is enrolled at the time of withdrawal.
  3. If withdrawal is after the tenth day of classes, but the student was enrolled for six or more units on the tenth day, a whole or a partial Fall/Spring Term of eligibility will have been lost for financial aid.
  4. The last day to withdraw from the University is 15 days prior to the end of the Fall/Spring Term (exam days included) and as published in Calendar announcements for all other terms.
  5. Withdrawals processed after the last day to withdraw will result in the student receiving grades of "F" in those courses which are not being passed at the time of withdrawal, and the student may be suspended for not meeting the minimum grade point requirement.
  6. Withdrawal does not affect the academic progression warning policy, but it may affect financial aid eligibility.

Failure to officially withdraw when leaving the University may result in students receiving failing grades in those courses for which they were enrolled. This may cause a problem in an attempt to return to the University or transfer to another institution. If students must withdraw for medical reasons, they may petition to have a portion of their academic charges reduced. The appeal process is initiated in the Office of Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs.


Course Currency Policy. Graduate courses that have not been offered for the four calendar years immediately preceding the issuance of a new catalog are dropped from the list of approved courses. The term “offered” is defined as (1) a course wherein there has been actual enrollment and wherein instruction has occurred (in cross-listed courses, enrollment in any version will meet this criterion for all versions) or (2) a course which during the semester immediately preceding catalog issuance has been scheduled for registration. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Graduate Council.

Course Repeat Policy. A course may not be taken for credit more than once unless it is identified in the catalog as a course that may be repeated for credit. If it is repeatable, the limitations of the number of times or maximum number of units that may be applied to the program or degree units may be indicated. This policy applies to both courses taken in residence at UW-Whitewater and courses accepted in transfer from another institution.

Special Courses. These courses are available on a selected basis through most of the academic departments. The course descriptions are common to all departments. However, the prerequisites and the number of units permitted in certain programs may differ. Note the limitation of units for degree/programs identified in the Catalog.

Group activity oriented presentations emphasizing “hands on” and participatory instructional techniques. Workshops have as their primary goal the imparting of either a specialized knowledge base regarding an instructional strategy or method or a specific skill. Presentations which are more broadly-based in content or intensive study and/or research procedures are not to be offered under a workshop number or title.

A planned and directed group excursion involving extensive academically-focused travel, usually conducted in a foreign country.

Group Activity. An advanced course of study in a defined subject matter area emphasizing small groups in intense study with a faculty member.

Group activity. Not offered regularly in the curriculum but which is offered on topics selected on the basis of timeliness, need and interest, and generally in the format of regularly scheduled bulletin offerings.

Group activity oriented presentations emphasizing “hands on” and participatory instructional techniques. Workshops have as their primary goal the imparting of either a specialized knowledge base regarding an instructional strategy or method or a specific skill. Presentations which are more broadly based in content or intensive study and/or research procedures are not to be offered under a workshop number or title.

Individual activity. Provides planned practical experience in a prescribed area with an agency and under the supervision and cooperative direction of faculty and agency person.

Group activity. An advanced course of study in a defined subject matter area emphasizing small groups in intense study with a faculty member.

Group activity. Not offered regularly in the curriculum but which is offered on topics selected on the basis of timeliness, need and interest, and generally in the format of regularly scheduled bulletin offerings.

Individual activity focusing on areas of special interest for a variable number of credits under the sponsorship of an interested faculty member involving minimal external guidance.

Guided investigation of an approved thesis topic. Students may receive credit for research activities planned in conjunction with their advisers and leading to the completion of a master’s degree.


Academic fees are set by the Board of Regents of the UW-System and are subject to change by the Board without notice. Click this link to view fees.

from 08-10 catalog request by LS ?>

For the purpose of fee calculation and enrollment verification, the university considers a graduate student to be registered on a full-time basis when the student is enrolled in at least nine (9) units during a fall or spring term and at least five (5) units during the summer term. In accordance with federal regulations, a graduate student must be enrolled in a minimum of nine (9) units in any term (i.e., fall, spring, summer) to be considered full-time for financial aid purposes.

Spring Semester 2014 Graduate Fee Schedule

Units Resident Fee Non-resident Fee
9.0 & over *$4,273.39 $8,838.82
8.0 3,798.56 7,856.72
7.0 3,323.74 6,874.63
6.0 2,848.95 5,892.54
5.0 2,374.10 4,910.45
4.0 1,899.28 3,928.36
3.0 1,424.46 2,946.27
2.0    949.64 1,964.18
1.0    474.82    982.09
.5    237.41   491.05

Special Graduate Business Fees

9.0 & over *$4,550.41 $9,128.89
8.0 4,044.80 8,114.56
7.0 3,539.20 7,100.24
6.0 3,033.60 6,070.26
5.0 2,528.00 5,071.60
4.0 2,022.40 4,057.28
3.0 1,516.80 3,042.96
2.0 1,011.20 2,028.61
1.0    505.60 1,014.32
.5    252.80    507.16

*MBA online is $619.00 per credit.


Fees for the College of Buiness and Economics On-Line Graduate Web Courses. The fee for College of Business and Economics online Graduate web courses is $619 per unit (credit) for both resident and non-resident student for each online unit in which the student is enrolled.

*If students do not wish to pay 100% of their charges at registration you must sign the Installment Credit Agreement Form.

Fee Payments. UW-Whitewater offers two methods to pay fees:

1. Payment in full. Students may pay all fees (academic, room, food) in full by the billing due date for advance registrants. If they register after the advance registration process, students should pay in full at the same time they register. Failure to receive a bill will not relieve students from making payments by the required due dates.

2. University Installment Credit Plan. If electing to use the installment plan, students must fulfill the following requirements:

Terms & Conditions/Payment Plan Beginning with the 2011 fall term, students planning to enroll in classes at UW Whitewater must complete the new “Terms and Conditions for Enrollment/Payment Plan” each term. This document contains information about their responsibilities for classes for which they register, payment plan information (fall and spring terms only), and charges on student accounts. The document can be viewed and signed electronically by accessing it from the Student Center Page in WINS. A new agreement will be made available prior to the start of registration each term to allow for early completion.

The Payment Plan is available to all eligible graduate and undergraduate students. Important facts from the contract are outlined below:

1. Eligible charges covered by the payment plan include tuition, meal plans, housing, and online class fees.

2. An Activation Fee of 1.25% per month on the amount owed for eligible charges will be assessed when the two-month Payment Plan is activated.

3. Half of the eligible charges for the payment plan will be allocated to the 1st installment and the remaining charges will be allocated to the second installment.

4. Charges not eligible for the Payment Plan, such as Course Fees, Health Center Charges, Purple Points, Weight Room Charges, Library Fines, Textbook Charges, etc., are due in full by the due date indicated on the bill at the time of billing.

5. Graduate students should make a $100.00 down payment on their student account by the term due date.

Room and Board -The cost of housing and meals varies greatly with different types of living accommodations and with individual life styles. However, the following information is provided as an indication of what students might expect to pay if they were to live on campus. For the fall semester of the 2011-2012 academic year, the cost of a double occupancy room in a residence hall was $1,680.00. The cost of a meal plan offering 19 meals per week is $1,070.00. Prices are subject to change without notice.

Textbooks-Graduate students pay no textbook rental fees and are expected to purchase texts and other instructional materials that are assigned in courses. The University’s Textbook Rental Service is not authorized to rent books to graduate students. The University Bookstore (Moraine Hall) sells graduate texts and other course materials. Students should check with the instructor of the course for the needed materials and textbooks. Since text requirements differ widely, no attempt is made here to estimate textbook purchase costs.


State Residency. Students who have been a bona fide resident of the State of Wisconsin for one full year prior to the beginning of the term of their enrollment are exempt from payment of non-resident tuition. Also, applicants who have been continuously employed full time in this state, and were relocated to Wisconsin by their current employer; or applicants who moved to Wisconsin for employment purposes and accepted current employment before applying for admission to UW-Whitewater, may, along with their spouse and dependents, be exempt from the payment of non-resident fees provided the person making the application demonstrates an intent to establish and maintain a permanent home in Wisconsin.

In addition, persons may qualify as bona fide residents if they meet any of the following criteria:

  • nonresident members of the armed forces (family included) stationed in the state, or members of the armed forces who reside in Wisconsin and are stationed at a federal military installation located within 90 miles of the borders of Wisconsin;
  • graduates of a Wisconsin high school whose parents have been bona fide residents of the state 12 months prior to the beginning of the semester of enrollment, or whose last surviving parent was a bona fide resident of the state 12 months preceding his/her death;
  • adult students who have been employed as migrant workers in the state for at least 2 months each year for 3 of the 5 years preceding the beginning of any semester or session for which they register at a university or center, or for at least 3 months each year for 2 of the 5 years preceding the beginning of the semester of enrollment;
  • official refugees who moved to the state immediately upon arrival in the United States and who have resided in the state continuously; or
  • minors or dependent adult students provided one or both parents have been bona fide residents of the state for at least 12 months preceding the beginning of the semester of enrollment.

Intent to become a bona fide resident may be demonstrated or disproved by factors including, but not limited to, filing of Wisconsin income tax returns, eligibility to vote in Wisconsin, motor vehicle registration in Wisconsin, possession of a Wisconsin operator's license, place of employment, and self support.

However, applicants who enter and remain in this state principally to obtain an education are presumed to continue to reside outside this state, and such presumption continues in effect until rebutted by clear and convincing evidence of bona fide residence.

Minnesota-Wisconsin Reciprocity. This agreement allows Minnesota residents to pay a reduced nonresident fee to attend a Wisconsin university. Arrangements to participate in this program may be made by filing an online application with the State of Minnesota Higher Education Services Office, Reciprocity Program, 1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350, St. Paul, MN, 55108-5227. (Telephone: (651) 642-0533 or 1-800-657-3866; website


Graduate Assistantships. UW-Whitewater has a limited number of graduate assistantships for selected full-time graduate students. To be eligible for consideration, individuals must be enrolled in a graduate degree program at UW-Whitewater in good standing status. Graduate assistants must register for at least nine graduate credits, but no more than 12 credits, each semester.

Students receiving full assistantship awards are expected to perform 20 hours of service per week. Work loads for partial awards are reduced proportionately. Duties will involve assignments such as laboratory assistant, research assistant, the preparation of materials for instruction, or other assignments of an academic nature.

The amount of a full assistantship award for the 2012-2013 academic year was $10,350. The award amount and availability of graduate assistantships for subsequent years is contingent upon funding being appropriated from the Wisconsin State Legislature, and is subject to change. All students who receive at least 2/3 of a full assistantship for an academic year or one semester will qualify for fringe benefits (such as health, dental, and life insurance). When funds are available, out-of-state students who receive at least 2/3 of a full assistantship for an academic year or for one semester will be eligible for a remission of the nonresident portion of tuition costs for the corresponding time period. In addition, the out-of-state portion of the fees may be waived for the summer session if the student received at least 2/3 of a full assistantship award for the preceding spring semester.

New applicants for degree programs must complete and return an application for admission and may apply for a graduate assistantship. Students who have already been admitted to a graduate degree program should submit only an application for a graduate assistantship. Completed application forms should reach the Graduate Studies Office by February 15 of the preceding academic year for first consideration. Recipients will be notified in writing and issued an employment contract as early as possible.

Nonresident Fee Remission. Applicants must have a "nonresident" status, enrolled in a graduate degree program in "good standing" and registered for at least eight (8) graduate units in the semester seeking a remission (at least five (5) during summer term). Applicants must not be under contract as a graduate assistant or, if working as a graduate assistant, under contract for less than 14 hours per week. Online MBA students are not eligible. Please visit for application materials.

Graduate Research Grants. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater recognizes the importance of basic and applied research in the graduate experience and supports such initiatives by making small research grants available. Grants up to $750 will be awarded to single or multiple-student research projects that involve supervision by a member of the graduate faculty. Funds may be used for travel, supplies, photocopying, long-distance calls, or wages for student help (other than the student investigator[s]), and/or for the dissemination of project results (e.g., travel to present findings at professional meetings, costs of publication).

Advanced Opportunity Program (AOP) Awards. The purpose of AOP is to expand the number of minority/disadvantaged students who receive graduate degrees from UW-Whitewater. To be eligible for an AOP award, individuals must be (1) U.S. citizens or permanent residents at the time of application and (2) members of traditionally under-represented minority groups (African-American, Hispanic, American Indian/Alaskan Native or statutorily designated Southeast Asian) or nonminority/disadvantaged students. Individuals who are residents of the State of Wisconsin and members of the aforementioned minority groups are given highest priority for receiving AOP awards.

The amount of a full AOP award for the 2012-2013 academic year was $8,400. For 2014-2015 the full amount is $9,000. The award amount for subsequent years is contingent upon funding being appropriated from the Wisconsin State Legislature, and is subject to change. Out-of-state students who receive AOP awards are also eligible for a remission of the nonresident portion of tuition costs for the time period of the award.

Additional information and application forms are available by contacting the Office of the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Multicultural Affairs & Student Success, 226 McCutchan Hall, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Whitewater, WI 53190-1790. Phone: (262) 472-4985.

Advanced Opportunity Program Grants. AOP grants are intended for African American, Latino, American Indian, designated Southeast Asian, and disadvantaged graduate students. Both Wisconsin residents and nonresidents are eligible, although preference is given to Wisconsin residents. Full-time and part-time graduate students are eligible to apply with the Multicultural Affairs and Student Success office.

Financial Aid. Annual completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required to be considered for most aid. Financial assistance is basically available to UW-Whitewater graduate students in the form of loans and employment. These aid types make up a financial aid package. The various forms of financial aid available for graduate students are listed below. The terms and conditions are those in effect at the time of publication of this catalog and are subject to change without notice.

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR). DVR assistance may be available to students having some type of disability. Vocational Rehabilitation is a Division of the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development. Students should contact their local DVR counselor in addition to filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Subsidized).Graduate students are not eligible for Subsidized Direct Loans.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Unsubsidized). The Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan enables undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at least half time (4.5 graduate units, 6 credits undergraduate) to borrow directly from the federal government. To be eligible, students must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and complete the application process. Graduate students do NOT need to demonstrate financial need. However, students are responsible for paying the interest on the loan even while enrolled. The student may defer interest payments until after graduation but the interest will keep accruing. Interest rates are determined on July 1 each year. The current rate is 5.41%.

Graduate students are eligible to receive up to $20,500 in an Unsubsidized Direct Loan annually. Graduate students may borrow a total of $138,500 (including loans for undergraduate study).

Federal Work-Study Employment. The Federal Work-Study program is a federally funded, need-based financial aid program available to citizens or permanent residents of the United States. To be eligible, students must (1) receive a Federal Work-Study allocation as a part of the financial package and (2) be enrolled at least half time (4.5 graduate credits) or have been accepted for such enrollment. Federal Work-Study employment is typically on campus, and work schedules are set up around classes. Students are encouraged to participate in the many community-service related activities available. Typical on-campus jobs include clerical work; assisting in the library, laboratories, or computer labs; tutoring; and child care assistance. During the summer or other vacation periods when students do not have classes, they may work a maximum of 40 hours per week. In general, the basic pay is the prevailing minimum wage. Proceeds from Federal Work-Study employment are paid with funds directly deposited to the student’s savings or checking account based on the number of hours worked. Work-study funds are not automatically subtracted from the student’s bill.

Regular Student Payroll. Each year hundreds of on-campus part-time jobs are made available by UW-Whitewater. Jobs (similar to Federal Work-Study positions) in university offices, laboratories, or other facilities can be applied for by any student enrolled on at least a half-time (4.5 graduate credits) basis. Student employment opportunities are advertised on the Hawk Jobs website, Jobs may also be listed on Cable 19, the university’s cable television station. Students may also visit the Career and Leadership Development Center in the University Center. Students do not need to apply for financial aid to work on the "Regular Payroll".

Food Service Employment. The private company which contracts to provide food services to UW-Whitewater hires approximately 225 students each year to work in the dining halls and for its catering service. Contact them directly for more information.

Off-Campus Employment. Each year the Career and Leadership Development Center lists many part-time jobs in private homes, businesses, and industries in the Whitewater area. These openings are listed via the Cable TV Channel 19 "Hawk Jobs" an on-line site. Students on foreign student visas (F-1's) are not eligible for off-campus employment without special permission.

Federal Direct Graduate Plus Loan. Graduate students are eligible to borrow through the PLUS program. The PLUS Loan may not exceed the student’s estimated cost of attendance minus any estimated financial assistance the student has been or will be awarded during the period of enrollment. An origination fee is assessed at the time the loan is made. The current interest rate is 6.41%.

Alternative Loans. Alternative loans are private loans borrowed from a lending institution. These loans are not part of the federal government financial aid programs. Alternative loans should only be considered when all federal aid options have been exhausted. These loans are based on credit scores; therefore, many student borrowers may require a co-signer to receive approval and a better interest rate. In most cases, repayment of the principal balance is deferred until after graduation; however, interest is capitalized on the loan while the student is in school. The maximum amount a student may borrow is the amount of the cost of attendance for the loan period minus any financial assistance received for that loan period. Students considering an alternative loan are encouraged to research different lenders and loan programs. Students are also advised not to borrow more loan funds than are necessary for educational expenses.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Students may apply for federal student aid via the internet, the preferred method to apply for student aid. The FAFSA website is:

The FAFSA must be completed after January 1 of the new year for the following fall once the federal income tax returns for the previous year are completed. Students should submit the FAFSA and all other required documents prior to the March 1 priority date. Applications submitted after March 1 may be too late for many aid programs.

The student must be accepted for admission before the application will be considered. It is the applicant's responsibility to submit all requested documentation on a timely basis. The status of the student's application can be determined by calling Financial Aid at (262) 472-1130 or checking your "TO DO" list on WINS account.

Summer Term.To apply for summer term financial aid, students must complete a Summer Term Application which is available in the Financial Aid Office during the spring semester. In addition, the current academic year FAFSA must be completed no later than the spring semester (if not already on file). Graduate students must be enrolled for at least 4.5 units to be eligible for aid.

For more detailed information, please contact the Financial Aid Office, 130 Hyer Hall, UW-Whitewater, Whitewater, WI 53190-1790.

Satisfactory Academic Progress. To comply with current federal regulations, the Financial Aid Office at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater will monitor the progress of students toward degree completion requirements. In order to receive and continue to receive financial aid, graduate students must comply with the following three components of satisfactory progress:

•Minimum cumulative grade point average (3.0)
•Minimum credits completed (pace – must complete at least 67% of all attempted credits)
•Maximum time frame (number of credit attempts for completion of program)

Students who fail to complete their degree requirements within the prescribed length of time, fail to maintain the required cumulative grade point average, and/or do not pass the minimum number of credits will not be eligible for federal, state, or university funds.

The progress or lack of progress of students will be monitored at the end of each spring semester and summer term (if the student attends summer). Academic Dismissal will be monitored at the end of each semester. All credits will count in the evaluation regardless of where or when they were earned, including credits earned during semesters or summers when no financial aid was received.

Standard for Grade Point Average. All undergraduate students (including transfer students) are required to have a cumulative 2.0 grade point average by the end of their second academic year. Special students (students seeking a second degree) are required to maintain a cumulative 2.0 grade point average at all times, and graduate students are required to maintain a cumulative 3.0 grade point average and/or be in good standing in their program.

Standard for Minimum Units Completed. All undergraduate students and graduate students must successfully complete a certain percentage of their attempted credits each semester so that they are on pace to earning their degree. The student who is not successfully completing his/her educational program at the required pace is no longer eligible to receive Title IV aid. Failing a class or receiving an incomplete in a class is not considered successfully completing the class. All students must maintain at least a 67% completion rate of all attempted credits.

The successul completion of a credit attempted is credit for which a grade of A, B, C, D, or S is received. A grade of F, W, U, I, NC, or N represents unsatisfactory completion of a course. A grade of D for a graduate student is not considered as successful completion of the credit(s) attempted.

Determination of a student's enrolled (attempted) credits will be made on the 10th class day of each semester.

Standard for Maximum Time Frame.
The total maximum time frame for graduate students receiving financial aid cannot exceed 150% of the published length of the program. For example, a program requiring 30 credits for graduation would allow 45 credit attempts (30 x 150% = 45). When enrolled in degree programs that have a published minimum unit requirement for graduation of greater than 30 credits, financial aid eligibility may be extended.

The maximum time frame for undergraduate students seeking a second degree (special students) is 90 credits.

Transfer Students.
Transfer credits from other institutions will be added to UW-Whitewater credit attempts to determine the total number of credit attempts (72 maximum) for an graduate student.

Probation is the status assigned by the Financial Aid Office to a student who fails to make satisfactory academic progress and who has appealed and has had eligibility for aid reinstated. The student may receive aid for one payment period i.e., fall, spring, or summer. At the end of the term, the student’s record will again be reviewed. The student will either be considered eligible or ineligible for financial aid for the next term.

Ineligible for Financial Aid.
Any undergraduate student that does not have a cumulative 2.0 grade point average by the end of his/her second academic year is ineligible for financial aid until such time as a 2.0 is attained. Any graduate student that does not maintain a cumulative 3.0 grade point average is ineligible for financial aid until such a time as a 3.0 is attained.

A student who is academically dismissed and not reinstated will automatically be ineligible for future financial aid until such time that he/she is reinstated to the university, appeals the SAP ineligibility, and has the appeal approved.

Appeal Procedure.
If a student believes that his/her satisfactory progress as determined by the Financial Aid Office is incorrect, it is the student's responsibility to contact the Financial Aid Office and provide documentation of changes in information to the transcript (i.e., grade changes, completion of incomplete classes, etc.).

Students may appeal their ineligibility due to circumstances beyond their control, i.e., death of a family member, student illness/hospitalization.

A written letter of appeal may be submitted to the Financial Aid Office for review. Appeals should explain in detail the reason(s) for not meeting the standards of academic progress. Appeals must be submitted and approved prior to the end of the semester for which the student is appealing to receive financial aid. Members of the Appeals Committee for Satisfactory Academic Progress include a representative from the Academic Advising Office, a faculty member, university services associate, and the director of financial aid or her designee.

Reinstatement of Financial Aid Eligibility.. A student ineligible for financial aid due to SAP policy will need to do the following to regain eligibility: Appeal his/her ineligibility and have the appeal approved; achieve at least the minimum cumulative grade point average (2.0 or 3.0); or maintain the appropriate pace needed for earning his/her degree.

Changes Affecting Financial Aid. The student's financial aid package is subject to change based upon assistance received from other sources. This includes private scholarships, fee waivers, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation funds, AOP grants, etc. Students should notify the Financial Aid Office directly of changes that may affect their ability to fund their education. These changes may include loss of employment or benefits, a significant decrease in income, separation or divorce, death or disability.

Federal Policy for Return of Title IV Funds for Financial Aid Recipients. The Financial Aid Office must adhere to Federal law when determining the return of Financial Aid to the Financial Aid Programs.

Reduction in Credits: Financial Aid is awarded based on tuition and other related charges. When a student reduces credits during a term, the financial aid disbursed could exceed these charges. If this occurs, the Financial Aid Office may revise the student's financial aid, and return to the programs the amount that exceeds the reduced charges.

Withdrawal: If a financial aid recipient withdraws during a term, the Financial Aid Office must calculate the amount of Title IV aid the student did not earn. Unearned funds must be returned to Title IV Programs.

The basic formula is: Earned aid = (Percent of enrollment period completed based on withdrawal date) x (Aid that disbursed or could have disbursed)

Unearned Aid = (aid that disbursed or could have disbursed) - (earned aid)

The school must return: (amount of institutional charges) X (the percent of aid that was unearned)

The student must repay: (the amount of unearned Title IV aid to be returned) - (the amount of unearned Title IV aid due from the school)

If the repayment of funds affects grant dollars received, the student's repayment of these funds will be reduced by 50%. Students will repay loan funds based on the repayment terms of the promissory note.

If a student withdraws the first term, but plans to return spring term, he/she must submit WRITTEN notification to the Financial Aid Office so that aid may be reinstated and/or revised. If a student fails to notify the Financial Aid Office, the aid will remain cancelled.

If a student withdraws from a mini-session during a term, but plans to enroll in another mini-session before the end of the term, he/she must provide written confirmation of enrollment plans. Without this notification, aid will be revised based on the withdrawal policy, even if the student has already completed one mini-session.

Policy on Awarding Financial Aid.
Financial aid is awarded based on tuition and other educational expenses. Enrollment is captured on the 10th class day of the term and student financial aid will be revised accordingly. Students awarded financial aid after the 10th class day of the term will be awarded based on actual enrollment for the current term.


Students with a bachelor’s or master’s degree seeking a first time teaching license must meet the basic eligibility requirements before applying for admission to Professional Education. Combined cumulative grade point average for admission is based on all credits received in a bachelor’s and/or master’s degree that would be accepted by UW-Whitewater. Students who do not meet the minimum GPA requirement for admission should investigate the College of Education and Professional Studies Academic Forgiveness Policy through the Advising Assistance Center in Winther Hall 2003 or (262) 472-1585.

It is the student’s responsibility to schedule an appointment with the program coordinator in the licensure area of interest in the College of Education and Professional Studies. This appointment is used so that eligibility for admission to Professional Education and general education for licensure (PI-34) requirements can be verified. The student should bring transcripts and photocopies of degree courses to this scheduled meeting.

Students with a bachelor’s and/or master’s degree should contact the appropriate program coordinator to develop an individual licensure plan. Please note: An Advising Report (AR) is not used for post-baccalaureate licensure program planning and approval.

All students eligible to apply for admission to Professional Education will be admitted, by program, based on a competitive application process and program space availability. Admission to Professional Education is based on 1) Completing all basic eligibility requirements and 2) Placement in a rank ordering of applicants according to combined (accredited baccalaureate degree and other degree courses that meet UW-W Admissions criteria) cumulative GPA. To apply for admission to Professional Education, students must meet the Basic Eligibility Requirements (see below) and complete an application form.

Basic Eligibility Requirements:

  • View Phase 1 Meeting: College of Education Program Requirements and Phase 2 Meeting: Professional Education Orientation (available online at
  • A combined cumulative 2.75 GPA on all credits received in a bachelor’s and/or master's degree that would be accepted by UW-W.
  • Pass all three portions of the Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST), part of the Praxis I Series.
  • Pass each course of the Pre-Professional Foundation Block with a “C”/“S” or better or **concurrent enrollment (NOT required for admission eligibility for Dual Licensure in *Early Childhood majors).
  1. EDFNDPRC 210 “Introduction to Education and Teaching,”
  2. EDFOUND 243 or 710 “Foundations of Education in a Pluralistic Society,”
  3. EDFOUND 222 “Child Development,” or EDFOUND 212 “Educational Psychology,” or EDFOUND 481 or 681 “Human Abilities and Learning.”
  1. A combined cumulative GPA of 2.75,
  2. Complete a minimum of 12 credits that would be accepted by UW-W as degree credits or hold a bachelor’s degree,
  3. Pass at least two of the three parts of the PPST,
  4. Complete the online Phase 1 Meeting.

To register for the Pre-Professional Foundation Block courses, contact the Educational Foundations Department at (262) 472-1380.

  • Complete the Phase 2 Portfolio (NOT required for admission eligibility for Dual Licensure in *Early Childhood majors). The Phase 2 Portfolio is completed in EDFNDPRC 210 at UW-W or in a 1-credit EDFOUND 214 “Portfolio Development I” class at UW-W.
    NOTE: Passing EDFNDPRC 210 does not mean you have passed the Portfolio requirement. Talk to your instructor to determine if you have passed the Phase 2 Portfolio. The “non-academic milestones” on your AR must be updated to show if you passed the Portfolio requirement.
  • Pass COMM 110 (or equivalent) with a “C”/“S” or better or **concurrent enrollment (NOT required for admission eligibility for Dual Licensure in *Early Childhood majors).
  • For *Early Childhood majors ONLY: Pass MUSED 111 “Fundamentals of Music” with a “C”/“S” or better or **concurrent enrollment.

Possible waivers or substitutions must be approved by your licensure program coordinator.

EFFECTIVE September 7, 2011, the 350 hours of experiences with learners is not required. However, Music Education still requires hours demonstrating “Experience with Learners and Professional Service in a Music Context” (see the Music Department for more information).

*This is the dual licensure program that enables the accepted cohort group to obtain regular and special education licensure.

**Concurrent enrollment means that students are currently taking the course, not pre-registered. NOTE: Students accepted to Professional Education while concurrently enrolled in any courses satisfying eligibility requirements must successfully complete the courses with a “C”/“S” or better. Failure to do so will result in removal from Professional Education and any pre-registered courses requiring Professional Education admission will be dropped.


Decisions will be based on the following three (3) tiers of acceptance:

  1. Applicants who meet all GUARANTEED ADMISSION requirements.
  2. Applicants who meet all BASIC ELIGIBILITY requirements will be ranked by combined cumulative GPA based on available space. Students meeting these criteria with the use of the Academic Forgiveness Policy will be included in this pool.
  3. Applicants who fall under the Exception Policy, regardless of Academic Forgiveness, will be ranked by combined cumulative GPA. Please note only a limited number of exceptions are granted per admission cycle if room is available in the chosen program.

Regular Admission: There will be three admission cycle deadlines, fall, spring, and summer, for all students except those applying for Dual Licensure in *Early Childhood. The Dual Licensure in *Early Childhood program accepts applications only during the fall admission cycle for the regular in-person cohort and during the spring admission cycle for the online ECE4U cohort (which requires an Applied Associate’s degree in Early Childhood Education from a Wisconsin Technical College). Applicants will be ranked with the pool of students applying during that particular period. Students who are not admitted may reapply during any subsequent admission period and will be re-ranked with the new pool of applicants.

Continuous Admission: Applications turned in after the regular admission deadline will be considered only on a space available basis by program. Applications are accepted on a first come, first serve basis. Students applying outside of the regular admission cycle must meet ALL of the basic eligibility requirements; students CANNOT apply as an exception to GPA or PPST requirements during Continuous Admission.

Exception Policy: Admission to Professional Education by exception is available during Regular Admission only to those students who attempt three sections of the PPST (Praxis I) but only pass two sections OR whose combined cumulative GPA is below 2.75. The PPST section in which the passing score has not been met must have been attempted at least two times before consideration for an exception. Applications for an exception will only be considered if the GPA or PPST requirement is met. Please note there are a limited number of exceptions granted per admission cycle. Candidates for admission by exception will be ranked by their combined cumulative GPA. Applicants who turn in their application after the deadline will not be eligible for consideration as an exception until the next regular admission cycle and must reapply to Professional Education. Admission by exception is not available during Continuous Admission.

Guaranteed Admission: To be eligible for Guaranteed Admission, students must meet ALL basic eligibility requirements (see above) and ALL Guaranteed Admission requirements (see below). Students may apply as Guaranteed Admission during both Regular and Continuous Admission.

  1. For Guaranteed Admission to the Elementary Education: Middle Childhood-Early Adolescence (MC-EA) Program, students must have:
    1. A combined cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, or at least 120 credits with a combined GPA of 3.0 or higher in the most recent 40 credits at UW-W, and
    2. Passed all three parts of the PPST (Praxis I), and
    3. Passed the 0146 (paper) or 5146 (computer) Praxis II exam.
  2. For Guaranteed Admission to the Secondary Education Social Studies Programs, which include Broadfield Social Studies, Economics, Geography, History, Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology, students must have:
    1. A combined cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher, or at least 120 credits with a combined GPA of 3.25 or higher in the most recent 40 credits at UW-W, and
    2. Passed all three parts of the PPST (Praxis I), and
    3. Passed the 0081 (paper) or 5081 (computer) Praxis II exam.
  3. For Guaranteed Admission to all other Programs, students must have:
    1. At least 120 credits, and
    2. A combined cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher, and
    3. Passed all three parts of the PPST (Praxis I), and
    4. Passed the appropriate Praxis II exam(s).

Students seeking teacher licensure must be admitted to Professional Education in order to enroll in selected upper division courses (300/500-400/600) in Education.

Students admitted to the University with a declared master's degree in education are not automatically guaranteed admission to Professional Education. Students who meet stated criteria will be admitted on a competitive and space available basis by application.

Specific information on the process for admission to Professional Education is available at the College of Education and Professional Studies Advising Assistance Center in Winther Hall 2003, (262) 472-1585, or

Teacher Licensure Requirements:

The College of Education and Professional Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater requires all students seeking initial endorsement for Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction licensure to complete the following licensure requirements:

  • Pre-student Teaching Clinical Experience: Each student, under the supervision of professional school personnel, shall complete a pre-student teaching clinical program consisting of a minimum of 100 clock hours of experience working directly with children and youth within a school or other instructional setting. Each student will complete Introduction to Education and Teaching and Field Study.
  • Pre-student Teaching Clinical Experience: Each student, under the supervision of professional school personnel, shall complete a pre-student teaching clinical program consisting of a minimum of 100 clock hours of experience working directly with children and youth within a school or other instructional setting. Each student will complete Introduction to Education and Teaching and Field Study.
  • Reading and Language Arts: This requirement has been integrated into the curricula of all licensure programs.
  • Measurement and Evaluation Course: Appropriate to the licensure program, Measurement and Evaluation in Elementary Schools; Measurement and Evaluation in the Secondary Schools; or Measurement and Evaluation in Physical Education.
  • Directed Teaching:
    1. Experiences in schools. All students seeking initial endorsement for licensure by UW-Whitewater must earn credits from UW-Whitewater in conjunction with experiences in schools. Additional information about these experiences is available from the Office of Field Experiences or from the appropriate department in the College of Education and Professional Studies.
    2. Pre-Professional Semester. A minimum of 50 hours in a school setting that serves a diverse population in a Wisconsin school district. The Office of Field Experiences arranges transportation for the students; students are assessed a transportation fee.
    3. Professional Block, includes Field Study of one or more guided professional experiences in schools. Generally, the majority of students are placed in schools located within a 50-mile radius from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, but may be placed within 75. Students are responsible for their own transportation during Professional Block experiences.
    4. Directed Teaching (“student teaching”). All students seeking initial endorsement for licensure must complete a full day, full semester experience following the daily schedule and semester of the cooperating school (not the University semester). Students who seek endorsement from UW-Whitewater must complete at least 14 credits of academic work from UW-Whitewater prior to Directed Teaching. Students are placed in schools located generally within a 50-mile radius service area from UW-Whitewater, but may be placed within 75. Placements are made by the University on the basis of quality and other programmatic considerations. Students are responsible for their own transportation and housing arrangements during Directed Teaching.
  • Environmental Education. Students whose programs lead to Wisconsin licensure in elementary education, science, or social studies must fulfill the statutory requirement in environmental education. In addition to appropriate work in their methods classes, students must elect one of the following courses: Human Environmental Problems, or Ecology and Society.
  • Cooperatives. Students whose programs lead to Wisconsin licensure in economics or social studies must fulfill the statutory requirements in cooperatives by selecting one of the following courses: Economic Principles for Teachers (offered each spring semester), or Cooperatives (rarely offered).
  • Special Education. All persons who receive an initial Wisconsin elementary or secondary license must complete a special education requirement. This requirement has been integrated into the curricula of all licensure programs. Students who successfully complete an elementary or secondary program at UW-Whitewater will have fulfilled this state requirement.
  • Human Relations Requirements. All professional education programs leading to initial licensure require study and experiences in human relations. Specific information on the course and experience requirements is available in the Office of Field Experiences in Winther Hall 2040.

General Education for Licensure (PI-34) Requirements:

The State of Wisconsin through the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction has implemented a set of teacher education program rules that are referred to as PI-34. These rules describe general education requirements that must be met by all teachers seeking their first teaching license, regardless of previous degrees.

Students who hold a bachelor’s and/or master's degree must meet the following areas:

  1. Written and Oral Communication (public speaking)
  2. The Humanities, including Literature
  3. Mathematics
  4. Fine Arts
  5. Social Studies
  6. Biological Science
  7. Physical Science
  8. Western History or Western Contemporary Culture
  9. Non-Western History or Contemporary Culture

All students with a baccalaureate or higher degree must have the PI-34 requirements verified and completed before endorsement for licensure. Verification of this requirement is completed by the student’s licensure program coordinator or department chair.

Specific information on requirements for general education for licensure (PI-34) is available at Coursework previously completed from a prior bachelor’s and/or master’s degree used to satisfy PI-34 requirements must be approved by the student’s licensure program coordinator.


Instructional, Communication and Information Technology. Instructional, Communication and Information Technology (iCIT) is reponsible for the technology infrastructure for the UW-Whitewater campus, and provides access to online resources through the campus web site:

iCIT manages campus general access (GA) computing labs, open to all students more than 90 hours per week. The GA lab facilities provide access to computers, office application software and discipline-specific software for use in academic coursework.Internet access and print services are available from all lab computers.

In addition, there are several Collaboratories, which give students space and equipment for high quality color printing, video editing, and a sound booth for audio work. Finally, students may check out audio-visual equipment from the GA labs.

iCIT provides support for a campus-wide course management system called Desire2Learn (D2L). Currently over 80% of the course selections use D2L in some component of the course, either offering supplementary activities or conducting the course completely online.

For students of all majors, iCIT provides employment opportunities which include real-world work experience, and development of technology and customer service skills. iCIT provides technology services for the instructional needs of faculty, staff and students. Services include: support for campus computing labs and technology classrooms, consultation and production of courseware development activities, support for web-based course management systems, media services, and the technical support for distance education classrooms.

Email, Internet and File storage Services. The UW-Whitewater Web site is the starting point for students to access many resources, including:

  • Online registration, course catalogs and class schedules
  • "How-To" training materials
  • Online courses
  • Syllabi and course materials
  • Personal email account and Web-based personal calendar
  • Storage space for personal Web publishing files
  • Information about UW-Whitewater activities and operations
  • Student biling and online payments

All UW-Whitewater students receive a University email account and a Google Docs account. The University email system is Web-based, accessible from on or off-campus via Email for academic coursework and official University business are sent via the campus system, so it is important that students use their University email account.

UW-Whitewater’s wireless network is available across campus, including all academic buildings, residence halls and common gathering areas. iCIT also provides a program called 4U ( that makes laptop and desktop computers available for students for purchase at highly competitive prices.

Helpdesk, Training and Desktop Support. iCIT provides a central helpdesk, training program and desktop services in support of faculty, staff and students at UW-Whitewater. Such services include: computer acquisition, setup, redeployment and disposal; workstation access to the campus network; installation and maintenance of university-supported software; problem resolution by telephone, email or personal appointment; and customer training in the use of campus technologies.

The Technology Support Center (TSC Help Desk may be contacted by phone at 262-472-HELP (4357) or email at

Andersen Library. The Andersen Library provides an innovative learning environment that takes full advantage of emerging technologies, while preserving traditional formats and services. The library homepage ( is the gateway to all of its resources: print and electronic. Its more than 2 million items include books, electronic books, print journals, electronic journals, databases. indexes, audio-visual items, camcorders, laptops, and electronic readers. Electronic resources (including reserve items) are accessible 24x7 by our registered students on and off campus. In addition, students can freely borrow from other University of Wisconsin libraries using the Universal Borrowing function in the common online catalog system. The physical facility is WiFi enabled. Microsoft Office and other common applications are installed on most public workstations to accommodate multitasking interests of students. Group study rooms, many equipped with audio-visual facilities, white board, and online capability, provide collaborative space for team work. Laptops, camcorders, computer gaming consoles, electronic readers, and portable projectors are available for presentation practices. Comfortable and varied seating abounds throughout the three floors. Floors one and three are reserved for quiet study, and the second floor is a talking floor for groups and conversation. A wide-screen TV adjoins the ‘Food For Thought’ cafe, and displays on wide-ranging topics enhance the library experience. Co-curricular interests are supported by extensive collections of DVDs, CDs, graphic novels, audio books, and computer games. A computer gaming room can be reserved by faculty and students. The friendly reference librarians are on hand most hours that the library is open to offer assistance to any students needing help in their research. More than 300 library instruction classes are offered each semester. Trained ‘tech helpers’ provide hardware and software assistance Sunday through Thursday evenings. Virtual reference assistance is available 24*7. Library hours during the fall and spring semesters, when school is in session, are: Mondays-Thursdays 7:30 a.m. - Midnight, Fridays 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., Saturdays 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Sundays 1:00 p.m. - Midnight. For other hours, as well as additional information about what the library can offer, please consult

Observatory. The Whitewater Observatory is a teaching and research facility. Contained in the observatory dome is a 16 inch aperture diameter Cassegrain reflecting telescope. The facility includes a general-purpose room in which evening observing sessions, public lectures, and supervised student research take place. While the observatory dome is maintained at an outside temperature, the general-purpose room is actively heated in winter and cooled in summer. Immediately outside of the observatory is a viewing area for constellation studies and for instruction in the use of small, portable telescopes. The observatory is used by astronomy classes for both daytime and nighttime activities, for lectures to the general public on alternate Friday evenings during semesters, and for tours for school groups.

Distance Education.UW-Whitewater faculty and staff have access to a number of distance education technologies that enable them to (1) reach students who are distant from campus, (2) share resources/courses with other UW institutions, and (3) participate in statewide meetings without leaving campus. A statewide digital video network allows you to see, hear and converse with your students or colleagues across the UW System. Connectivity can also be expanded to technical colleges and K-12 schools. Wisline audioconferencing uses standard telephone lines to link individuals at sites anywhere in the state or the world. WisLine Web is a web-based service that allows you to hold live, interactive meetings using just a web browser and a speakerphone from the convenience of your office or at WisLine Web sites around the state.

These methods of course delivery require real-time synchronous interaction; therefore, students or colleagues need to be at a specific site at a specific time as they would in a traditional on-campus class or meeting. WisLine and WisLine Web can also be used to reach students colleagues at their offices or homes, although there is an additional cost for this kind of access. Bridging services are provided by Instructional Communications Systems, an academic support unit of the University of Wisconsin Extension. Contact the Office of Continuing Education Distance Education at 262/472-5247 or go to for more information.

In addition to the synchronous forms of interaction listed above, faculty and staff are trained to use course management systems and tools that enable them to teach all or a portion of their course(s) on the Web. The Online MBA program is one example of a UW-Whitewater graduate degree program where all of the coursework can be completed on line. More information about the Online MBA is available at

Distance education courses are listed under their departmental headings in the UW-Whitewater Schedule of Classes or in the Outreach Timetable. These publications are available by contacting the Office of Graduate Studies & Continuing Education, Roseman 2013, (262) 472-1100. A complete listing of UW System credit and noncredit distance education courses is made available each semester in the form of an online catalog. The Distance Learning Catalog can be found at the website

Distance education courses are listed each term in the UW-Whitewater Schedule of Classes under their respective department headings. Go to or request a hard copy by contacting the School of Graduate Studies & Continuing Education, Roseman 2013, at (262) 472-1100 or http://www.uww.educonteduc/ . A search mechanism for UW System distance education courses offered across the state can be found online at

Licensure. Issues related to teacher licensure are handled by the Office of Teacher Licensing. Graduate students who seek a teaching license should be certain that their proposed program meets all of UW-Whitewater’s approved program standards before embarking on a program of study. This is true in both the case of initial licensure and additions to existing licenses. In order to ascertain current licensure requirements, students should direct their questions to their program coordinator. If you are unsure which program coordinator to contact, contact the Licensure Office, Winther Hall. Phone (262) 472-1184 for assistance.

Career and Leadership Development. The services of the Office of Career & Leadership Development (University Center 146) are available to graduate students as the need may arise. Many students take advantage of these services as they develop their job search strategies and prepare for interviews. Staff are available in person, online, and via telephone to provide advice to graduate students. For more information, visit the Career and Leadership Development website at or contact staff the directly at 262.472.1471.

Residence Life. The University provides residence hall accommodations for approximately 3,800 students in 12 residence halls. In addition, many property owners in the city provide housing facilities for students. On campus, a variety of residence hall living accommodations are available, including single rooms and double rooms, there is no University-operated housing for married students; however, most married students are able to find apartments, mobile homes, or rental houses in Whitewater or neighboring communities. For further information regarding on-campus housing, contact the Residence Life Office in Goodhue Hall, Suite 200, check out our website at or call (262) 472-4200.

Short-term Guest Housing. The Office of Residence Life offers inexpensive overnight residence hall accommodations when space is available. For more information about the service, contact Residence Life at (262) 472-4200 and ask about Goodhue Guest Housing.

Parking. All persons who use unmetered University parking facilities must display a valid parking permit issued by Visitor Parking Services. To accommodate the parking needs of on-campus resident students, commuting students, faculty, and staff, some parking facilities are restricted. Observe restrictions posted at each parking facility.

A parking permit may be purchased at the Visitor Parking Services Office located in the Visitor Center, 826 Starin Road. It is not necessary to have a permit on a vehicle that is parked at a meter; however, it is necessary to pay the meter even if the vehicle has a permit. Vehicles parked in violation of university regulations will be ticketed. For more information call Visitor Parking Services at (262) 472-1011.

University Police. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Police Department is a full-service law enforcement agency providing 24-hour police protection and services to the campus community. The department is staffed by fourteen sworn police officers, and one non-sworn employee.

Part of the mission of the University Police Department is to provide protection of life and property to all persons within the boundaries of the university, to uphold the rights guaranteed under the United States Constitution, and to enforce state laws, codes and UW System regulations in a fair and just manner. The department works toward this goal by conducting investigations into alleged criminal activity, the implementation and presentation of crime prevention programs, development of new and innovative policing programs, effecting arrests, and referring individuals into the criminal justice system or conduct systems.

Emergency services can be reached by dialing 911. Anyone requiring the non-emergency services of the University Police Department can contact them 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at (262) 472-4660. While an officer is always on duty and can be reached by telephone, business transactions can be conducted in person during office hours of 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday in Goodhue Hall. Whether the victim of a crime, an injured person, a witness to an incident, someone who wants information for a presentation, or just someone who does not know where else to turn, the University Police stand ready to provide the necessary assistance.

University Health and Counseling Services. (Richard Jazdzewski, Executive Director, Ambrose Health Center, Health Services, (262) 472-1300, Counseling Services (262) 472-1305.) The University Health and Counseling Services (UHCS) provides comprehensive services and referrals for multiple concerns related to students’ physical and mental health. Services are available to all currently registered UW-W students from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday except state holidays. A 24-hour Crisis Line (1-800-365-1587) is available for all students through Walworth County Human Services. UHCS staff are committed to quality service and health education with services, programs and consultations provided in many different settings (individually and with groups).

Health services include: consultation and treatment by physicians and nurse practitioners for illnesses and minor injuries. Many laboratory tests (including cholesterol screening and HIV testing) and some medications are provided. Programs include weight control counseling, smoking cessation, nutrition counseling for students with eating disorders and borderline cholesterol levels, allergy shots, immunizations, contraceptive services, diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases through regular Personal Reproductive Care (PRC) clinics, and assistance in coordination of health care for students with chronic illnesses and/or physical disabilities. Massage therapy is availble for a fee. UHCS does not provide eye examinations, dental care, or consultation with specialists. Assistance with referrals to outside sources of care is provided, if needed. Charges are made for some services and supplies within the Health Services, and all outside services are the financial responsibility of the student. A number of outreach programs are offered by staff to help students achieve their highest level of well-being.

Health insurance is recommended; a policy is endorsed by the University Of Wisconsin System and information is available from UHCS (Health Services) Website ( Hospital care is available when needed in nearby communities. Hospitals in Fort Atkinson, Janesville or Elkhorn are available for medical consultation/urgent care both day and night. In the case of emergencies, the City of Whitewater Rescue Squad should be contacted by calling 911.

Counseling is free of charge and includes individual and group counseling (primarily short-term) for UW-W students dealing with a number of personal issues. In addition, consultation is available to faculty, staff and students. Significant outreach efforts are made with the campus community. The primary focus in these outreach programs is on prevention and education.

The services are staffed by professional psychologists, social workers, and counselors, as well as supervised graduate interns. A consulting psychiatrist is on staff part-time. If immediate or direct services are not available here, assistance is offered with appropriate referrals. Students with ANY personal concerns (adjustment to college, relationship issues, stress management, self-esteem, roommate problems, eating disorders, alcohol and drug problems, sexuality issues, or just want to feel better about life) are encouraged to ask for help at UHCS. All services of UHCS are confidential.

Center for Students with Disabilities. (Roseman 1006, (262) 472-4711 [V/TT]) UW-Whitewater has had a program to provide services for students with disabilities since the 1970-1971 school year. In 1973, the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System gave UW-Whitewater a unique, specific mission to provide services for students with disabilities. As a result, the UW-Whitewater campus is one of the most accessible campuses in the nation. In addition, professional staff members in the Center for Students with Disabilities and other campus programs are available to provide a wide variety of services to meet both ordinary and unique needs of students with disabilities. Some of the service assure access to all aspects of the University life and are legally mandated. (Other services are supported and/or enriching, and promote successful outcomes, these are typically available on a fee basis.) Specialized services are provided to meet unique needs.

Students must apply for services through CSD. Students are encouraged to apply for services at least 8 weeks prior to the start of the semester of enrollment. Qualified students will develop an individualized academic accommodation plan with CSD.Services include, but are not limited to:

  • Pre-enrollment interview, evaluation and orientation.
  • Alternative testing, ALS interpreters, C-print, captioning, adaptive technology, alternative media, notetaking assitance, etc.
  • Transportation for academic and non-academic events (Available for a fee).
  • Assistive Technology Center, including AT assessment Assistive Technology assessments (Available for a fee.)
  • Physical therapy offered through the University Health & Counseling Center
  • Adapted recreation and athletics including wheelchair football, basketball, softball, soccer and wheelchair track and field offered through Recreation Sports.

Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Disability. . Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, provides that “No qualified individual with a disability shall, on the basis of disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity which receives or benefits from Federal financial assistance.”

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA, 1990) states “No qualified individual with a disability shall, on the basis of disability, be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of the services, programs, or activities of a public entity, or be subjected to discrimination by any public entity.” This is reinforced by the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (2009).

Applicants or students who believe that they may have been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability in any campus program, activity or service should contact: ADA Compliance Coordinator (nonemployment), 330 Hyer Hall, (262) 472-1072.

Project Assist Program: A CSD Success Program. Project ASSIST, is a fee for service program, for students with disabilities and a component of the Center for Students with Disabilities. The program is designed to support students in their pursuit of a university degree without compromising academic standards. By teaching specific learning strategies and self advocay students become independent, successful learners.

Services include:

  • one-to-one tutoring and drop in tutoring
  • study skills support
  • small group work
  • organizational and time management tutors
  • consultation with faculty and staff
  • referral to campus resources

Disability Advocacy and Awareness Coalition (DAAC). Warhawk Involement Center, Advisor, Andersen Library 2002. DAAC is an organization that provides university students and community members the opportunity to change their own lives and make a difference in the lives of people who have disabilities. Through social activities, education and political activity DAAC stives to promote universal design and inclusion for people with diabilities. The organization aims to educate students about resources, to involve them in extra-curricular activities and to help them attain skills that will be paramount in their personal and professional lives. DAAC offers members the opportunity to develop diverse friendships and to obtain knowledge about various diabilities by providing opportunities to share experiences. Previously known as SAS and established in 1971.

For further information on DAAC, or for information concerning disability services, students may contact CSD at 472-4711.

International Student Programs. The Center for Global Education provides individual and group counseling services and orientation, and assists international students with personal, academic, and financial problems as well as problems with housing, food, or immigration. The office also serves as a liaison with the academic and administrative areas of the University and coordinates cultural and social programs that interface foreign and domestic cultures such as the International Dinner and Host Family Program.

Children's Center. The University offers high quality preschool and school-age programs for children (ages 12 months up to 6 years during spring and fall semesters and 12 months up through children entering the third grade during summer sessions) of students, faculty, and staff. The Center also collaborates with the Whitewater school district to offer a 4-K program, which runs from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. University students receive priority in enrollment. Part-time and full-time schedules are available to suit parents’ classes, work, and study times on and off-campus. The Children’s Center also serves as a teacher training site and is state licensed and nationally accredited. The Center is open Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. For information regarding curriculum, registration, and fees contact the University Children’s Center, Roseman Building 1006, UW-Whitewater. Phone (262) 472-1768 or email, or check us out at

General Recreation. Sports facilities are open throughout the week and weekends for unorganized recreational use. Indoor facilities are available for such activities as basketball, volleyball, tennis, track (walking/jogging), racquetball, and swimming. Outdoor areas and facilities are also available for such activities as softball, football, tennis, sand volleyball, disc golf, and basketball. A walking/jogging trail is located near Perkins Stadium for recreational use. Equipment checkout is available for these activities with a valid University I.D. Facility reservations are also available for any of the indoor or outdoor facilities, as well as the Lawcon & Coulthart Pavillion. Williams Center Weight Room, University Fitness, and Group Fitness memberships can be purchased through the Office of Recreation Sports and Facilities, Room 100, Williams Center. Personal trainers are also available for a fee. Call (262) 472-1145 for further information.

Intramural Sports Program.The Intramural Sports Program is available for all students, faculty and staff. Tournaments and leagues are conducted throughout the school year in various activities such as 3v3 Basketball Tournament, 9-Hole Golf Tournament, Badminton, Basketball, Disc Golf Tournament, Dodgeball Tournament, Flag Football, Floor Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Indoor Ultimate Frisbee, Innertube Water Polo, Pickleball, Racquetball, Sand Volleyball, Softball, Table Tennis, Tennis, Volleyball, Wheelchair Basketball. Entry forms for these activities are available in the Intramural Sports Office, Room 100 Williams Center or on our Intramural website Contact (262) 472-1145 for further information.

Club Sports Program. The Club Sports Program is designed to provide the opportunity for all students, faculty, and staff to participate in a variety of competitive, instructional, and recreational sports. Each club is formed, organized, governed, and conducted by students under the guidelines established by the Office of Recreation Sports & Facilities. Our Sport Clubs blend aspects of learning new skills, practicing with fellow participants, and competing against clubs from other campuses throughout the nation. Active clubs include Akido, Baseball, Bowling, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Cycling, Disc Golf, Fishing, Hurling, Karate, Long Boarding, Men's Lacrosse, Men's Rugby, Mens Soccer, Men's Ultimate Frisbee, Men's Volleyball, Paintball, Racquetball, Rock Climbing, Ski and Snowboard, Tennis, Water Ski and Wakeboard, Water Polo, Women's Basketball, Women's Rugby, Women's Ultimate Frisbee, Women's Volleyball. Stop by the Club Sports Office, Room 100, Williams Center or call (262) 472-1145 for further information.

Religious Groups. The following religious organizations are represented on campus: Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship, Catholic Student Coalition (Roman Catholic), Lutheran and Episcopal Student Movement, Latter Day Saints Student Association, UW-W Gospel Choir, United Methodist University Ministry, and WELS Lutheran Campus Ministry. In addition, the Campus Ministry Center is affiliated with the following religious faiths: Catholic, Lutheran, and Episcopal but welcomes all students. Local churches or off-campus houses maintained by religious organizations provide the facilities for religious and social programs. Some meetings are held in university facilities.

Cultural Affairs. Cultural AFfairs brings to campus the best of the world's professional performers, from the touring Broadway productions of Chicago and Spamalot to Montana Repertory Theatre's To Kill a Mockingbird; from Virsky Ukrainian Dance to Momix. Events are programmed and presented by the Cultural Affairs Committee, a student led, student funded organization made up of students, faculty and community members.

Tickets are available to students at a 50% discount for most Cultural Affairs and Young Auditorium events. Tickets can be purchased at the Greenhill Center for the Arts Box Office, the University Center and online at

The Cultural Affairs Committee is composed of both students and community members who provide input to the director and help plan, produce and promote activities for the next season and volunteer to work on the events booked for this season. Volunteer activities include ushering, providing transportation for the artists from the motel to the theatre, promoting the event to students across campus, arranging artist workshops, working on Young Auditorium receptions for artists and other aspects of event production. The Cultural Affairs Committee chooses ten to twelve activities for the upcoming season to be listed as Cultural Affairs events. However, tickets to all Young Auditorium season events are offered to students at greatly discounted prices averaging 50% off.

Irvin L. Young Auditorium. The Young Auditorium serves as host to several performing arts series including the Cultural Affairs Series, the “ILY Presents” series, Contemporary Issues events, as well as the “Horizons” school matinee and evening family programs. In all, twenty-five to thirty professional performing arts events are held in the facility each year. The auditorium is also utilized for various music department and continuing education-sponsored activities. The unique design of the Young Auditorium features a graciously appointed auditorium chamber with approximately 1,300 seats, depending on configuration pattern and number of wheelchair seats utilized. Through lighting options and architectural arrangements, the auditorium can also achieve the feeling of warmth and comfortable intimacy of a much smaller space. The clean lines and uncluttered space of the chamber create an unpretentious performing environment in this state-of-the-art facility.

One of the many striking areas is the Fern Young Terrace which offers unparalleled charm guaranteed to enhance any event it houses. The facility’s Kachel Center offers flexibility with its sprung hardwood floor. Conferences will find the room appealing for groups of up to 150 or as a space for small groups to meet before returning to the auditorium for larger sessions. Both the Fern Young Terrace and the Kachel Center can serve dual purposes as support spaces to complement auditorium functions or as versatile stand-alone meeting, rehearsal, or reception rooms.

University Theatre. Annually, the Theatre/Dance Department produces six major productions for the academic year (including a touring children's play, experimental and one-act plays, some form

of musical, and a dance concert) and three productions during the Summeround season. These activities provide rich opportunities for students to see and participate in a wide range of productions.

Music Activities. The Department of Music sponsors a wide variety of performing groups including Concert Choir, Chamber Singers, Women's Chorale, Jazz Choir, Symphonic Wind Ensemble, Marching Band, Concert Band, Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Combos, Percussion Ensemble, Flute Choir, Clarinet Choir, Saxophone Quartets, Early Music Ensemble, Brass Choir, and other smaller ensembles. These groups, as well as all others sponsored by the department, are open by audition to all university students. If students enjoy singing or playing a musical instrument, they will appreciate the opportunity to share in the musicianship of these groups. Contact the Music Department Office for additional information at (262) 472-1310. If students enjoy music, they will want to attend the many interesting and exciting concerts given by the campus groups, faculty artists, and guest artists. These concerts are free to students and provide a rich and memorable break in weekly routines.

Art Exhibitions. The Crossman Gallery serves the Department of Art, UW-Whitewater, and the community by providing a forum for the exhibition of art works and related educational activities. By facilitating the exhibition of distinctive works of art, the gallery offers students, faculty and visitors an opportunity to enjoy and study a variety of art expressions in a free, accessible and open environment.

Crossman Gallery also serves as an extension of the educational mission of the University by enabling students to exhibit their work and conduct research into the objects presented throughout the year in the exhibition series. The exhibits and related programming provide a forum to investigate technique and thematic issues in the visual arts, explore new technology and display emerging and established talent.

University Marketing and Media Relations. The Office of University Marketing and Media Relations is responsible for enhancing the image and visibility of UW-Whitewater through a wide range of services, including media relations, institutional marketing, publications, photography, event planning and issues management. Major publications produced by University Marketing and Media Relations include Whitewater magazine, a twice-annual magazine that reaches more than 40,000 UW-Whitewater alumni; and The Reporter, a twice-monthly newsletter for faculty and staff. The office also writes and distributes hundreds of news releases each year and works closely with regional and state media to gain public recognition for campus achievements.

The office provides editing and content development support for programs that reach public audiences. University Marketing and Media Relations maintains a regularly updated "top stories" section on the UW-Whitewater home page, steers crisis communication for the university and produces a number of publications for special events, including Founders Day, Homecoming and Commencement.

Faculty, staff and students who have ideas for possible news stories are encouraged to contact University Marketing and Media Relations. For more information about University Marketing and Media Relations services, contact (262) 472-1194.