School of Graduate Studies Apply Now
Graduate Studies Header

School of Graduate Studies

Apply Now!

Graduate Catalog

Academic Calendar

Directory of Fac/Staff

Maps and Directions

Graduate Policies, Procedures & University Information

University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
Graduate Catalog


Background. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater was founded in 1868 as a Normal School to train teachers. Since that time, it has progressed to State Teachers College, State College, and State University. Then in 1972, with the merger of the nine state universities and the former University of Wisconsin, UW-Whitewater became a member of the University of Wisconsin System. The UW System now includes 13 universities and 13 two-year centers. The combined enrollment makes it the fourth largest system of higher education in the United States.

UW-Whitewater has grown to over 10,500 students with more than 1,200 faculty, staff and administrators. It is now a comprehensive university offering both undergraduate and graduate degrees. More than 60 majors are offered in four undergraduate colleges: Arts and Communication, Business and Economics, Education, and Letters and Sciences. In addition, the Office of Graduate Studies, Continuing Education, Extension and Summer Session enroll hundreds of students on and off campus in both credit and noncredit programs.

The Campus. The University is located in southeastern Wisconsin approximately 45 miles southeast of Madison, 50 miles southwest of Milwaukee, and 100 miles northwest of Chicago. The 385 acre campus is situated in the northwest corner of the City of Whitewater, within walking distance of the city's business district.

The campus includes 46 academic/auxiliary buildings, a nature preserve and arboretum, and 43 acres set aside for baseball, football, soccer, softball, track, and tennis. Noteworthy buildings include the multipurpose University Center, the Williams Recreation Center, the 12,500- seat Perkins Stadium and the new David L. Kachel Field house, which provides 100,000 square feet of indoor athletics and recreational space.

The focal point of the campus is a two-block mall which links classroom and administrative buildings with the multipurpose University Center. North of the mall lie residence halls, the student health center, the DLK Kachel Fieldhouse, the Williams Physical Education and Recreation Center, and the 12,500 seat Perkins Stadium. To the west is the Center of the Arts and the Young Auditorium which serves as a regional cultural center.

Graduate Education. Until the early 1960s, UW-Whitewater had only offered undergraduate degrees. In response to societal needs for greater specialization and increased education in the professional work force, graduate programs were initiated at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater in the early 1960s. Since then, UW-Whitewater has granted 10,500 master's degrees. It is presently the fourth largest graduate school in the UW System with 1,372 students enrolled during the fall of 2003.

Master's degree programs are available in accounting, business administration, business education, communication, communicative disorders, curriculum and instruction, educational administration, counseling, computer information systems, public administration, reading, occupational and environmental safety and health, school business management, school psychology, and special education. An extensive program of evening classes is offered for those who are employed during the day. It is possible to complete some master's degree programs through summer and evening work without being a full-time student during the academic year.

Graduate certificate programs are available in business administration, communicative disorders, occupational and environmental safety and health, and special education. Graduate degree programs at UW-Whitewater are fully accredited by the North Central Association, the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business, the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, and the Wisconsin State Department of Public Instruction.

Information on specific degree programs is found in the Degree Programs section of this catalog. For further information on admission to graduate studies contact: Office of Graduate Studies, Roseman 2013, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Whitewater, WI 53190; (262) 472-1006; or visit our web site at

Safety and Health Policy. The University of Wisconsin System will provide and maintain adequate facilities for a safe and healthy learning environment. It is the University's responsibility to work with faculty and staff so that they are equipped to educate their students on practices and procedures that ensure safety for all members of the university. Employees with instructional responsibilities are expected to comply with state and federal safety laws and regulations in their institutional areas. Certain courses and research projects require that the student work with hazardous materials while engaging in academic studies. Instructors of these courses and research projects shall inform and train students on procedures that will maintain the students' personal health and safety and provide them with information on the hazards of specific chemicals that will be used during their course of study. Furthermore, instructors will enforce and follow safety policies. Prior to use of hazardous materials and equipment, the student shall review the procedures and information, and discuss any associated concerns with the instructor.

Graduate Education

Graduate education at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater uses knowledge and skills acquired through baccalaureate degrees and professional experiences as a foundation for advanced-level study and professional development. The goal of graduate education is to prepare individuals to apply an advanced knowledge-base and refined analytic, communicative and functional skills to problems encountered in their professional careers.

Graduate courses are taught by individuals who have earned "graduate faculty" status or have been approved by the graduate faculty of a department and the Dean of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education. Together these are individuals who are active scholars and productive professionals equipped to pass along timely experiences and knowledge about their evolving discipline.

Graduate course work, generally, will introduce students to contemporary issues in the discipline and help them develop a critical perspective for evaluating these and future developments. Graduate course work will help students develop an understanding for how a discipline is organized and how it conducts its research. In that regard, graduate course work is designed to be significantly different from its undergraduate counterpart in the following ways:

  • requiring a greater depth and intensity of study;
  • demanding a higher level of academic/intellectual rigor;
  • focusing primarily on advanced and specialized topics;
  • exploring the integration of theory and practice; and
  • relying on pedagogical practices that require more
  • personal interactions with the instructor, more collaborative interactions with fellow graduate students, and more self-directed learning than undergraduate studies.

Academic Assessment. Academic assessment is a process where academic programs: 1) articulate a set of knowledge-based, cognitive-based and skill-based objectives defining the competencies that students will acquire in completing the curriculum; 2) collect data from students, alumni, alumni-employers and other sources that allow it to assess the competency level of its graduates relative to its outlined objectives; 3) utilize the assessment data to make revisions to the curriculum, pedagogical processes, evaluation procedures, and/or program objectives; and 4) share their assessment results with faculty, students and alumni. Assessment helps the programs achieve one of the most important and difficult challenges facing the modern university: providing curricula that are well-focused, timely, and designed and delivered in such a way that they prepare graduates to be creative, successful professionals.

Graduate education at UW-Whitewater runs its academic assessment at two levels. At one level, each graduate program engages in the four steps outlined above. To assist with the data collection, students in the various programs may be asked to assemble portfolios of their work, or may have their thesis or comprehensive exams assessed by a committee of faculty, and/or they may be asked to complete an exit interview.

At a comprehensive level, the School of Graduate Studies requires all students completing a degree program to complete an exit survey. These surveys provide an ongoing chronicle of student perceptions that are used to assess how well graduate programming is achieving the five comprehensive objectives that characterize the desired outcomes of all graduate programs.


In general, all persons who hold a bachelor's or advanced degree from a regionally accredited school may register in graduate-level courses for graduate credit. Proof of a bachelor's or higher degree is required. Students may be admitted to a graduate degree program either in good standing or on probation. The admission status (e.g., "good standing" vs. "probation") of all applicants from baccalaureate-granting institutions that don't employ traditional grading systems be left to the judgment and recommendation of the graduate program to which the student is applying. Certain other special categories are established for persons not attempting to complete a degree at this institution. These special categories are "noncandidate for degree" and "guest transfer of credit."

Admission in Good Standing. Requirements for admission to a degree program in good standing are as follows:

  1. A baccalaureate or higher degree from a regionally accredited institution.
  2. At least a 3.00* overall grade point average in all the graduate work previously completed at UW-Whitewater, with no grades of I or P pending.
  3. One of the following:
    1. At least a 2.75 overall grade point average in the undergraduate degree program.
    2. At least a 2.90 grade point average in the last half of the undergraduate degree program.
    3. A master's degree or higher from an institution regionally accredited at the corresponding graduate level.
    4. At least 12 credits of graduate work completed on a regular grade basis at UW-Whitewater.
  4. Any additional requirements set by individual departments or colleges for admission to specific degree programs.

*All grade point averages are on a 4.00 basis.

Deficiencies in Background for Graduate Study. If a department finds that a student lacks the proper academic background for graduate studies, it may specify that deficiencies be made up before the student completes a degree. In some cases, deficiencies may have to be made up by registering in undergraduate courses that do not count toward completion of a master's degree.

Admission on Probation. A student who does not meet the requirements for admission in good standing may be admitted to a degree program on probation after furnishing credible evidence of ability to do satisfactory graduate work. Such credibility is determined by the admitting academic department or individual Program Coordinator, and could be a creditable postgraduate employment record; a satisfactory score on the Graduate Record Examination, GMAT or Miller Analogies Test; or the successful completion of graduate work at a regionally accredited institution. Students admitted on probation must meet the criteria above for good standing status within the first 12 credits attempted, including repeated courses. Those failing to do so will be ineligible to take further graduate work in that degree program.


Noncandidate for Degree (NCFD). Persons who hold a bachelor's degree or a graduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university but do not wish to be admitted to a graduate degree program are classified as NCFD students. Evidence of a bachelor's degree or an advanced degree is required for an NCFD student. This category allows the student to enroll in graduate level courses and to receive graduate credit for this work. Departments and colleges reserve the right to restrict NCFD students from their courses.

Before attempting more than 12 credits as an NCFD, a student is encouraged to file an application for a degree program. Acceptance of any course work toward a graduate degree, including course work completed as an NCFD student, is at the discretion of the department. Because a graduate degree requires that the student complete a program of courses planned in consultation with an adviser, generally two-thirds or more of the course work must be completed after formal admission to the degree program. Consequently, a maximum of twelve credits taken prior to admission to the program may be applied toward the completion of a degree.

Guest Transfer of Credit. Persons attending another graduate school who wish to take graduate courses at UW-Whitewater and transfer them to that institution may do so. The request for guest matriculate status form is to be completed by an official of the graduate school to which the credits are to be transferred. The form certifies that the student is attending the other institution and states the provisions for approval of the work taken at UW-Whitewater toward the degree at the other institution.

Seniors Taking Graduate Courses. UW-Whitewater undergraduate students with senior status may be allowed to take at most six graduate credits at UW-Whitewater provided they have completed at least 90 semester credits with at least a 2.75 overall grade point average (or 2.90 over the last half of their course work), have the written recommendation of the department chairperson of their undergraduate major and have a graduate application on file in the Graduate Studies Office. Students my download this form at Eligibility for this privilege must be established with the Graduate Studies Office and is not available to seniors at other institutions or students who already possess a bachelor's degree. Seniors may not use graduate-level credits to satisfy requirements for the bachelor's degree, and undergraduate fees will be charged for their graduate-level work.

We recommend that you use Microsoft Excel to view this file. You may also use the free Microsoft Excel Viewer if you do not have Microsoft Excel installed.


  1. Arrange for an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score to be sent directly to the Graduate Studies Office if English is not the native language. A TOEFL score of 550 paper or 213 computer, is required for admission into some of the degree programs and is strongly recommended for the others. Students may contact the TOEFL Office at
    Students have an alternative option. They can choose to attend the Wisconsin English as a Second Language Institute (WESLI) in Madison, WI, and substitute an acceptable WESLI score in lieu of the TOEFL score. Students would need to successfully complete the WESLI's 700 level, including academic reading and writing, and academic listening and speaking skills, with a rating of "very good" or higher. Students can receive information on the WESLI program at (
  2. Send a completed certification of finances form to the Graduate Studies Office to demonstrate that there is adequate financial support available during the planned period of study.
  3. Have a former professor send a letter of recommendation directly to the Graduate Studies Office attesting to the student's ability to pursue graduate study in the United States.

Reactivation. Applicants who do not enroll in graduate course work at UW-Whitewater within a calendar year of the beginning of the term for which they were admitted and students who have not enrolled in graduate course work within a calendar year are considered inactive. Inactive students and students who have completed their degree programs must update and reactivate their files by completing a reactivation form before they will be eligible to register for graduate courses.

Transfer of Credit. All course work, with the exception of up to nine credits, must be completed at UW-Whitewater. Additional course work taken at other institutions may allow specific program requirements to be waived; however, no more than nine transfer credits may be applied towards the credit requirements of a degree program. Some specific consortium arrangements between UW-Whitewater and other institutions may allow more than nine credits to be completed at the participating institutions.

Credit for a course completed at another institution may be transferred to UW-Whitewater and applied toward a graduate degree provided (1) the institution offering the course is regionally accredited at the graduate level, (2) the course appears as a graduate course on the student's graduate transcript from the institution offering the course, (3) the course is applicable toward a graduate degree at the institution offering the course, (4) the course is appropriate for the student's proposed graduate degree program at UW-Whitewater, (5) the course is not a correspondence course, nor was it taught in a format less rigorous than that for UW-Whitewater courses, and (6) the student earned a grade of at least B (3.00) for the course (B- is less than a 3.00 and will not be transferable). All requests to apply course work taken by a student prior to being accepted into a degree program at UW-Whitewater toward the degree requirements must be included in the application for admission to the degree program.

Students who have already been admitted to a degree program here and who wish to take a course at another institution and have it transferred to UW-Whitewater, must obtain permission prior to enrolling in the course. The institution at which the student wishes to earn graduate credit may also require documentation of the student's graduate status at UW-Whitewater.

Questions for the comprehensive examination for the master's degree may be included from courses accepted in transfer to UW-Whitewater. Students should contact their degree Program Coordinator about this matter.

The 12 credit limit on courses taken prior to program admission does not apply to changes in emphasis within any of the degree programs.

Submission. All application credentials must be sent to the School of Graduate Studies, Roseman 2013, UW-Whitewater, Whitewater, Wisconsin 53190-1790.

Application Material Policy. Admission materials become the property of the University and are not returned to applicants or forwarded to other institutions.

Deadlines. Applications will not be processed until all of the above credentials have been received. All application material (including transcripts and other material that may be required) must be received at least 45 days prior to the start of classes to be considered for admission for a given term.

Please note: Individual programs may have earlier deadlines. Information on deadlines for specific degree programs is found in the Degree Programs section of this catalog.

In order to ensure receipt of all application materials by the deadline, applications should be submitted at least three months before the beginning of the term the applicant plans to attend. Applications received or completed fewer than 45 days prior to the start of classes will be considered for admission for the following term.

Students whose applications for program admission are pending may enroll in course work as noncandidate for degree students, but are subject to the twelve credit limit on course work that may be taken prior to the term of a program admission and then applied toward the completion of a degree.

Application to Degree Programs. To apply for admission to a graduate degree program, individuals must:

  1. Submit a completed application and $56 application fee. Available at or from the Graduate Studies Office.
  2. All requests to transfer and/or apply previously taken graduate course work toward the degree requirements must be submitted at the time of application.
  3. Submit an official degree-bearing transcript from the institution that granted the bachelor's degree and that includes at least 60 semester hours of course work. If fewer than 60 semester hours of course work were completed at the degree-granting institution, additional official transcripts will be required.
  4. In addition to the official bachelor's degree-bearing transcript, submit copies of transcripts for all undergraduate work that was applied to the bachelor's degree, if that course work was not included in the degree-bearing transcripts. These transcripts may be unofficial copies and may be submitted by the applicant.
  5. Submit, directly from the granting institution, an official transcript showing completion of any master's or higher degrees.
  6. Submit, directly from the granting institution, official transcripts for any other graduate work completed, if the work is to be considered for transfer into the student's degree program. If official transcripts for previously completed graduate work are not provided at the time of application to the program, credit for that work cannot be transferred at a later date.
  7. Have official transcripts sent directly from the registrar's office at the institution where the work was completed to: School of Graduate Studies, Roseman 2013, UW- Whitewater, WI, 53190.

    (Note: Transcripts from UW-Whitewater will be ordered by the Graduate School.)

    Transcripts faxed to UW-Whitewater or submitted personally by applicants will not be accepted.

    In the case of an institution in a foreign country that does not issue transcripts other than the single official copy presented to the student, a photocopy may be submitted provided that the applicant presents the official document for verification of authenticity at the Graduate Studies Office upon arrival at UW-Whitewater. A hold will be placed on their record until this is proven.

  8. Submit all other credentials (e.g., test scores, letters of recommendation, goal statement, autobiography) required for admission to the particular program for which admission is being sought. IN ADDITION, INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS MUST:
  9. Submit an official "general" evaluation of all foreign educational credentials. (Contact Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc., P.O. Box 5787 Milwaukee, WI 53217. (414) 289-3400. Or visit Approval for a different evaluator is at the discretion of the Graduate Studies Office.

Pending Degree-Bearing Transcripts. Application for admission will be considered during the applicant's last term of undergraduate study; however, admission will be conditional upon the applicant attaining the baccalaureate degree and meeting all the requirements for admission.

Acceptance. After application credentials have been evaluated, students will be notified of their admission status. If accepted into a degree program, they will be assigned an adviser and sent an admission letter. The letter will include an assigned student ID number and information on how to register for courses.

Advising. Students are assigned faculty advisers by, and generally within, their major or emphasis department. Advisers are available to help plan each student's program of study and to assist in the selection of courses before students register for classes.

Graduate students who seek state professional education licensure should also contact the Director of Licensure for current licensure requirements. See section on Admission to Professional Education in this catalog.


In addition to the graduate school academic requirements and policies, it is the prerogative of each graduate degree program to impose more stringent requirements. A graduate student is responsible for meeting all degree requirements in effect at UW-Whitewater during the term for which the student is admitted into the current degree program unless the student's attendance at UW-Whitewater is interrupted by an absence of four or more consecutive academic sessions (including summers), in which case upon reentry, the student will be subject to the requirements in effect at that time.

General graduate school academic requirements and policies (contained in this section) may be changed by the actions of the Graduate Council. Each graduate student is responsible for adhering to all current graduate school policies. Students are apprised of updated graduate policies through the schedule of classes. Information about changes in general graduate school policies is also available at or contact the Graduate Studies Office.

Academic Probation. Students in degree programs who fail to maintain at least a 3.00 overall grade point average for all graduate work completed at UW-Whitewater are placed on academic probation. A student on academic probation must attain at least a 3.00 overall grade point average within the next 12 graduate credits attempted at UW-Whitewater (including courses that are repeated) in order to be returned to good standing status. Failure to accomplish this will result in the student being dropped from the degree program with ineligibility to take further graduate work in that degree program.

Time Limit. Domestic students have seven years and International Students have two years in which to complete their degree program, measured from the beginning of the term in which the first course to be included in the degree was completed, but not later than the beginning of the term for which they were admitted. Based upon good cause, students may request an extension of this time limit. Such requests should be made in writing, should include the reasons for which the request is being made, and should be directed to the student's degree Program Coordinator. Requests for extensions not exceeding two additional years will be considered and acted upon by the faculty of the degree program or the degree Program Coordinator. Requests for extensions beyond two additional years will be considered only in cases of extreme and unavoidable hardship; such requests must also be acted upon by the Committee on Exceptions to Graduate Policy, and must carry the endorsement of the degree Program Coordinator. All student requests for extensions are reported by degree Program Coordinators to the Graduate Studies Office on the appropriate form.

Licensure. Many degree programs allow students to attain licensure within the degree program. However, licensure requirements are different from degree requirements. Questions about licensure should be directed to the Licensure Office. Please see the section on Admission to Professional Education in this catalog for more information.

Course Repeats. Graduate students are allowed to repeat at most two courses in their degree programs. Courses may be repeated only once. When a course is repeated, the original course and grade remain on the transcript; however, the last grade and credits earned replace the originals and are the only ones used in computing the grade point average in the degree and emphasis. Students who have been dropped from a degree program may not use the course repeat process to gain readmission into that degree program.

Credit Restrictions. Undergraduate courses, including those taken to make up deficiencies in background or in supervised teaching, will not be counted toward the number of graduate credits required for a degree. Undergraduate courses may not be used to satisfy master's degree requirements, and graduate courses may not be used to satisfy undergraduate requirements at UW-Whitewater.

The minimum required overall grade point average for graduation will be 3.00. No course in the major or emphasis or any other required course in which a grade of below C (2.00) has been earned may be applied toward the completion of any degree. However, some programs may require higher standards.

During a semester, students may register for at most 15 credits, while those on probation should not take more than 12 credits. Graduate assistants must be registered for at least nine graduate credits, but no more than 12 credits each semester. During the 12-week summer session, students are limited to a total of 12 credits. Courses taken on an audit basis are subject to the above limits.

A student may not carry more than three credits of individual studies in a single term. Not more than four credits in individual studies, not more than six credits of special studies, and not more than a combined total of nine credits of individual studies, workshops, and special studies may be applied toward the completion of a degree. Departments retain the prerogative of allowing fewer than nine of these types of credits to apply toward their respective graduate degrees.

Course Retakes. A course taken for undergraduate credit may not later be changed to graduate credit. Courses taken for undergraduate credit may not be retaken for graduate credit. Although, exceptions may be granted by the student's degree Program Coordinator when the field of knowledge has changed to the degree that the course content has changed substantially from the first time the student took the course to the present. Graduate courses may not be retaken unless indicated otherwise in the Graduate Catalog.

Appeals and Grievances. Exceptions, Grievances, and Grade Appeals. Graduate students are responsible for meeting the terms and conditions of the School of Graduate Studies and the individual program requirements. Unusual circumstances may give rise to request specific exceptions to policy, provide grounds for filing a grievance, or provide a basis for appealing a grade. Each scenario has its own procedure.

Exceptions to Graduate Policy

In cases where exception to graduate school policies or other regulations seems justified, a student should follow this procedure:

  1. Request for specific exception to graduate school policy is presented by the student in writing to the graduate program coordinator of his/her program. This request should include clearly stated reasons that may justify an exception and should be submitted to the program at least 30 days before the term for which the request would be effective.
  2. The graduate program (or academic department) will forward the student's request and the program's recommendation regarding the request to the School of Graduate Studies.
  3. The School of Graduate Studies will convene the Committee on Exceptions to Graduate Policy for consideration of the request. (The Committee is made up of one graduate faculty representative from each of the four colleges and one graduate student representative.) Students will be notified of the Committee's decision within one week.
  4. Actions by the Committee on Exceptions to Graduate Policy are binding. Decisions may be appealed to the Provost, in writing, within thirty days of the student being notified of actions/decisions. However, the Provost isn't authorized to overturn a decision made by the Committee. The Provost can only request the Committee reconsider the decision.

Requests for exceptions involving college or department policies, procedures, or other academic matters, including those that supersede graduate school policy, will be resolved by the appropriate unit within the college. Such appeals are initiated by students through their advisers. Since NCFD students are not assigned an adviser, they may appeal directly to the college or department where the problem occurred. In either case, appropriate appeal procedures will then be followed as established by the individual college or department within the college.


A grievance is a request for specific action to solve a problem or redress an injury done to the individual presenting it. When that individual is a student and is responding to treatment received as a student, it is a student grievance. However, if a student wishes to challenge an academic decision that impacts their grade, the Student Grade Appeal procedures should be used.

A grievance may concern the actions taken by any UW-Whitewater employee who is a member of any college, department, office, administrative unit or committee of the University. A grievance may not necessarily be directed at a particular individual but rather at a policy or rule which the student believes to be unfair. The basis for a grievance is to raise a problem for the purpose of resolving it by the parties closest to it. This is true whether the issues involve an instructor, administrator, service personnel or members of any University department, college, division, administrative unit or committee.

A cause of action would involve a specific injury to the student or a specific problem. A remedy should be available. If no remedy is available or if punishment of someone is sought, the procedures for complaints rather than grievances should be used (see University Handbook, Sections VI-F and VI-A). Process timelines are established to enable review and resolution within a reasonable time after the problem occurred. This assists problem solving when memories and facts are still fresh. Written appeals and responses need not be lengthy but rather describe events, relevant facts and reasoning, so that parties are clear about what is at issue and why decisions are being made the way they are.

The following are the steps, both informal and formal, that the University has established relevant to the resolution of a grievance.

  1. Problem occurs.
  2. Within 14 calendar days, discuss it with the person whose actions are in question (informal).
  3. If no satisfaction, within 7 calendar days, talk it over with the Chair or supervisor of the person (informal).
  4. Chair/supervisor will attempt to resolve within 14 calendar days (informal).
  5. If no satisfaction, student has 7 calendar days to write it up as a formal grievance, including why dissatisfied with recommended resolution and propose a remedy (formal).
  6. Within 14 calendar days, the Dean or Director will attempt resolution or make the final decision (formal).

Grade Appeals

At the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater it is expected that instructors will evaluate students regularly and consistently by criteria and guidelines presented to students at the beginning of each grading period. If a student has reason to believe the grade is incorrect, the student may act on that by taking the following steps in chronological order. A complaint which is timely and filed under any other student complaint procedure and then referred for processing under these procedures, shall be considered to have met the deadline for filing as a grade appeal. The process for filing a grade appeal is the same at the graduate and undergraduate levels, and begins with an informal process, before moving to a formal process.

Informal Process

  1. Consult the instructor whose grade is being appealed. This consultation must take place within 7 calendar days of start of classes after the grading period in question.
  2. If the student/instructor conference is unsatisfactory or if the instructor is unwilling or unable to participate, within 7 calendar days the student may schedule a conference with the chair of the department in which the course was offered.
  3. After hearing the student's appeal, the chair will attempt to resolve the problem within 7 calendar days.
  4. If this resolution is unsatisfactory, the student may then, within 7 calendar days after receiving the chairperson' response, submit a written appeal to the Department's Grade Appeals Committee through the chairperson. This will initiate the Formal Appeal Process.

Formal Process

  1. The appeal must be in writing and signed by the student.
  2. The Department Grade Appeals Committee will (i) convene to examine the appeal, the response and render its conclusion in writing to the chair, student and instructor, within 14 calendar days of receipt of the appeal. (ii) While the Grade Appeals Committee cannot require the instructor to change a student's grade, the Committee can recommend such a change to the instructor and to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies.
  3. Should the student wish to appeal beyond the department, the student may submit the Committee findings and the basis for the further appeal to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies, within 3 calendar days of presentation of Committee findings. The Dean will review the student's appeal and the findings of the Committee, and recommend appropriate action to the department and the instructor within 14 days of receipt of the appeal.
  4. If this action is unsatisfactory to the student, a final appeal may be made to the Provost who will determine whether a change in grade is to be made within 14 days of receipt of the appeal. The Provost is the only individual authorized to change a student grade without the instructor's permission. However, the Provost may change a grade only when the faculty department committee and the Dean support such a change.

Graduate student satisfaction with their educational experience remains a preeminent concern of the Office of Graduate Studies. Students who have questions, concerns or grievances about non-policy related issues are encouraged to contact the Office of Graduate Studies (262) 472-1006


Before the beginning of the term in which a degree is expected, students should meet with their advisers to make sure that all course requirements are being met. A student's degree Program Coordinator is responsible for certifying that the student has met all of the academic requirements for graduation.

No student may receive a degree until all I and P grades have been cleared and the student is in good standing with at least a 3.00 grade point average in the graduate level credits earned in the degree program and in the emphasis area.

Also, all financial obligations to the University must be cleared by the Accounting Office before students may be issued diplomas and final transcripts of their academic records.

Application for Graduation. Students must file applications for graduation and a diploma with the Graduate Studies Office within the first two weeks of the semester or the first week of the summer session in which they plan to graduate. An application for graduation also serves as an application for the comprehensive examination.

A graduation fee must be paid no later than one month before the date of graduation regardless of whether or not students attend the voluntary commencement ceremony. The fee is payable to UW-Whitewater and should be sent to the Cashier's Office. The fee is published in the current schedule of classes. If a student fails to graduate during the intended term, a new application form for graduation must be filed in the subsequent term, although the graduation fee does not have to be paid again. An exit survey is required of all students completing a degree program.

Minimum Degree Credit Requirements to Graduate. All graduate degree programs at UW-Whitewater require at least 30 graduate credits distributed according to the requirements of the individual programs. The minimum credit requirements and credit distribution for specific degree programs are stated in this catalog under program descriptions.

At least half of the graduate work in a degree program and at least half of the work in an emphasis within the program must be completed in courses numbered 700 or higher. In addition, a grade point average of at least 3.00 (B) overall in the graduate work taken toward the degree, as well as in all the graduate work taken in the student's emphasis, is required for graduation.

Degree Program Options. At the discretion of the individual degree programs, the following options are available to graduate students:

Comprehensive examination option. A minimum of 30 credit hours of course work, including a comprehensive examination.

Thesis option. A minimum of 30 credit hours of course work, including a thesis taken for one to six credits.

Course work option. Program specific.

Degree programs may set additional requirements for any of these plans. Students should check with their degree Program Coordinator for the options available and for the requirements within each option.

When options exist, students should consult their adviser early in their studies to determine which capstone experience best meets their needs. A thesis may be advised for those who wish to seek depth in an academic area, while those who prefer a breadth of knowledge may select comprehensive examinations.

Students formally declare the thesis option by registering for the course, 799 Thesis Research, after completing a Thesis Proposal Form and submitting it to the Graduate Studies Office.

Students declare the comprehensive examination option by submitting their graduation application and checking on the form that they plan to take the comprehensive examination.

After declaring an option, students are permitted to change options only once. Changing options penalizes students who have either prepared a thesis or invested time preparing for the comprehensive examination. Changes in options must occur before students have failed twice in their first option. Failure occurs when a student's comprehensive examination is adjudged a failure or at any time a student's thesis committee formally indicates failure.

Second Degree/Emphasis Policy. Students may not receive a master's degree from a degree program in which they already hold a master's degree, although they may complete a second emphasis within a degree program.

Comprehensive Examination. Students must complete a minimum of 30 credit hours of graduate course work and pass a comprehensive examination in the major or emphasis field under the comprehensive examination option. Examinations may be written and/or oral at the discretion of the degree program. Written examinations are intended to take approximately six hours to complete. Questions may cover any graduate work done in the major or emphasis, including credits transferred from other institutions.

Comprehensive examinations are administered once near the end of each term. In general, students may not take the examination until during or after the final term of their course work. Exceptions may be made for students who have a practicum or a semester of student teaching remaining. To be eligible to take the examination, students must have cleared all pending incomplete (I) and progress (P) grades and must be in good standing with at least a 3.00 grade point average in the graduate level credits earned in the degree program and in the emphasis area.

Comprehensive examinations are graded either "passed" or "failed." Students who fail the examination may retake it after completing additional work, as designated by those administering the examination, in a subsequent term. Students may retake comprehensive examinations at most twice after an initial failure and after the required additional work has been completed following each failure. Specific programs may have more stringent rules.

Thesis. The thesis option requires a minimum of 30 credits of graduate course work including a thesis for which up to six credits may be earned and applied toward the completion of course and credit requirements in the degree program. Because a thesis is a culminating experience for a degree, only students electing the thesis option within a degree program may register for 799 Thesis Research. Students wishing to pursue significant research projects outside of the thesis requirement for a degree may register for 798 Individual Studies. Students electing to write a thesis in a degree program must formally enroll and pay fees for at least one credit of 799 Thesis Research. Before being allowed to register for 799 Thesis Research, a student must submit to the Graduate Studies Office a thesis proposal form indicating the thesis topic, the proposed number of credits, and the thesis adviser. This form, signed by the thesis adviser, must be on file before a student will be allowed to register for 799 Thesis Research. Enrollment and fee payment for 799 Thesis Research is done only once even though the thesis may require more than one term to complete. With the adviser's permission, in succeeding terms students may increase the number of thesis credits up to the maximum of six by submitting a revised thesis proposal form, then adding and paying for the additional credits.

Theses vary in type, style, length, and content. They range from research projects to art exhibits. A thesis, however, must involve enrollment in 799 Thesis Research, an oral examination on the thesis, and the filing of the thesis in the Andersen Library. A thesis, including an art show, must have abstracts and are expected to contain evidence of research on the part of the student and must be submitted in a form and quality specified by the School of Graduate Studies. Unless a department informs the Dean of Graduate Studies in writing that it has adopted some other style manual, theses should be prepared according to the most current edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. The original and one copy of the approved thesis and its abstract should be delivered to the Graduate School Office by the end of the term in which the student plans to graduate. Degrees are not conferred until these requirements have been met.

Students also must pass an oral examination over their thesis administered by an appointed thesis committee. The oral examination will be held in an open meeting, announced at least one week prior to the examination. A student's committee will consist of a minimum of three persons, two of whom, including the committee chairperson, must have graduate faculty status. Committee members may be brought in from outside the faculty of the degree program. The majority of the thesis committee members must sign the signature page of the thesis, signifying acceptance by the committee of the thesis.

The thesis committee chair's signature signifies successful completion of the oral examination.

In general, students may not take the oral examination until the term in which they expect to graduate. To be eligible to take the oral examination, students must have cleared all pending incomplete (I) and progress (P) grades except for thesis research, and must be in good standing with at least a 3.00 grade point average in the graduate level credits earned in the degree program and in the emphasis area.

All 799 Thesis Research courses are graded on a pass/fail (S/F) basis. A grade of pass (S) for 799 Thesis Research is not awarded until the oral examination is passed and the thesis is filed in the Graduate Studies Office.

A student who switches from a thesis option must have a revised program completion plan approved by the Program Coordinator. The Graduate Studies Office will then initiate a late drop or retroactive withdrawal, dropping any existing 799 Thesis Research credits which show a grade of progress (P). A withdraw (W) grade will be recorded.


UW-Whitewater FERPA Policy Statement FERPA - Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Interpretations of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (also known as FERPA or the Buckley Amendment) have important implications for the handling and releasing of student education record information by campus offices and school officials. FERPA applies to the "education records" (see next paragraph for definition) of "students". "Students" are defined as those individuals who have applied for formal admission to UW-Whitewater, were admitted, and are or have been enrolled in classes for credit at the University. FERPA does not apply to records of applicants for formal admission to the University who are denied acceptance or, if accepted, do not enroll in classes for credit. In addition, rights are not given by FERPA to students enrolled in one component of UW-Whitewater who seek to be admitted in another component (e.g., a student enrolled in an undergraduate degree program, but is denied admission to a graduate program, does not have any FERPA rights in the graduate program which denied him/her admission).

"Education records" are those records that are directly related to a student and that are maintained by the University or by a school official who serves the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including student employees or agents of the University, persons/companies with whom the University has contracted, persons serving on official campus committees, or persons assisting other school officials in performing their tasks).

FERPA indicates that "education records" do not include:

  • Sole possession records. Records of instructional, supervisory, administrative, and certain educational personnel which are in the sole possession of the maker and are not accessible or revealed to any other individual except a substitute who performs on a temporary basis the duties of the individual who made the records.

    Important exception: Notes taken in conjunction with any other person are not "sole possession records". Sharing information with another person or placing information where it can be viewed by others makes it an "education record" and subject to FERPA.

  • Law enforcement unit records. Records maintained by a law enforcement unit of UW-Whitewater that were created by that unit for the purpose of law enforcement.

    Important exception: Placing law enforcement records where they can be viewed or accessed by others outside the law enforcement unit makes them "education records" and subject to FERPA.

  • Employment records. Records relating to individuals who are employed by UW-Whitewater which are made and maintained in the normal course of business and relate exclusively to individuals in their capacity as employees, and are not available for any other purpose.

    Important exception: Records of students who are employed as a result of their status as students are "education records" (e.g., work-study, graduate assistants) and subject to FERPA.

  • Doctor-patient privilege (medical) records. Records relating to a student which are (1) created or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional acting in his/her professional capacity or assisting in a paraprofessional capacity; (2) used solely in connection with the provision of treatment to the student; and (3) not disclosed to anyone other than individuals providing such treatment, so long as the records can be personally reviewed by a physician or other appropriate professional of the student's choice.
  • Post-attendance records. Records that contain only information relating to a person after that person is no longer a student at UW-Whitewater (e.g., information gathered on the accomplishments of alumni).

    The essence of FERPA can be summarized by the following two points:

  • CONFIDENTIALITY - School officials must protect the privacy of education records and shall not disclose personally identifiable information about a student or permit inspection of the student's records without his/her written consent unless such action is covered by certain exceptions permitted by FERPA. The student's written, signed consent must:
    • Specify the records to be released;
    • Identify the party or class of parties to whom the records should be released;
    • Indicate the reason for the release.

    A consent form can be downloaded from the web at: (under the FERPA section, click on "Authorization to Release Records")

  • ACCESS - A student must be permitted to inspect his/her own education records (see "Student Access to Education Records" section for information about the process for inspecting education records). FERPA provides the student the right to:
    • Inspect and review his/her education records;
    • Request an amendment to the education records if he/she believes there is an inaccuracy;
    • Restrict the release of his/her "Directory Information" from public access;
    • File a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education is he/she feels the University has failed to follow FERPA guidelines. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is: Family Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW., Washington, D.C. 20202-4605.

Confidentiality of Student Education Records.

FERPA generally prohibits the release of confidential personally identifiable student data from education records, with limited exceptions that include "Directory Information" (see below), without the student's written, signed consent.

Personally identifiable student data, other than "directory information" for students who have not restricted its release, are confidential. Examples of confidential information include, but are not limited to, ID number, social security number, date of birth, ethnicity, gender, country of citizenship, percentile ranks, class schedules (including meeting times and locations), grades, and grade point averages.

Parents have no inherent rights to inspect or receive information about their children's education records. Parents of a dependent (as defined for federal income tax purposes) student may request their child's education record information only after providing notarized copies of both the most recent federal income tax return filed that shows the student listed as a dependent and a letter of intent to claim the student as a dependent on the next federal income tax return. Absent this information, UW-Whitewater shall not disclose a student's education record information to a parent without the written consent of the student.

FERPA provides certain exceptions for the release of personally identifiable education record information without the student's written consent. These exceptions include:

  • Directory Information. UW-Whitewater determines the following to be student "directory information" which is available to the public if the student has not restricted its release:
  • Names, addresses (including email), and telephone numbers;
  • Dates of attendance (including term units carried and full-time/part-time status);
  • Classification (e.g. sophomore, senior, graduate student):
  • Major/minor/degree program;
  • Degrees conferred (including dates/anticipated dates);
  • Previous institution(s) attended;
  • Awards and academic honors
  • Participation in officially recognized sports and activities;
  • Physical factors (weight and height) of members of athletic teams.

A student has the right to restrict the release of his/her directory information. Any student who wishes to do so must complete and file the "Request To Prevent Disclosure Of Directory Information" form in the transcripts department of the Registrar's Office, Baker Hall, lower level. The restriction will remain in effect until the student files written notification with the Registrar's Office to have it removed. A student who has ceased attending UW-Whitewater, and whose directory information was not restricted in his/her last term of attendance, does not have the right to restrict the release of directory information until such time as he/she re-enrolls at the University.

"Legitimate Educational Interest". Personally identifiable education record information may be disclosed without the student's written consent to UW-Whitewater officials who are determined to have a "legitimate educational interest" - a right to know and a need to know (i.e., the information is necessary to fulfill the official's professional responsibility to UW-Whitewater). Legitimate educational interest means there is an educationally related purpose that has a directly identifiable educational relationship to the student involved and underlies the request. The following criteria shall be taken into account in determining the legitimacy of a UW-Whitewater school official's access to records:

  • The official must seek the information within the context of his/her professionally assigned University responsibilities;
  • The information sought must be used within the context of official University business;
  • The information requested must be relevant and necessary to the accomplishment of some task or to make some determination within the scope of the official's University employment.

Disclosure of education record information to a school official having a legitimate educational interest does not constitute institutional authorization for that school official to transmit, share, or disclose any or all of that information to a third party. A disclosure of personally identifiable information from the education record of a student, without the student's written consent, is prohibited unless the disclosure meets one of the specific exceptions cited in FERPA as outlined in the following section.

Education record information may be disclosed without the student's written consent in the following instances:

a) To the student.

b) If it is "Directory Information" and the student has not restricted its release.

c) If properly subpoenaed pursuant to a judicial, legislative, or administrative proceeding, provided UW- Whitewater will make a reasonable attempt to notify the student of the subpoena, in cases where FERPA applies, prior to the release of the information.

d) In connection with the student's application or receipt of financial aid as necessary to determine the eligibility, amount or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms or conditions of the aid.

e) In connection with audits or evaluation of federal or state supported educational programs requiring disclosure of information.

f) To effect collection of past due financial obligations to the University.

g) To attorneys representing the University when the data on the student is deemed necessary for the defense of the University in a suit filed by the student.

h) To schools in which the student seeks or intends to enroll.

i) To authorized representatives of the Comptroller General of the United States, the Attorney General of the United States, the Secretary of the Department of Education, or state or local educational authorities.

j) To the Veterans Administration to determine compliance with educational assistance.

k) To organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of the University.

l) In connection with a health or safety emergency as determined by the University.

m) In connection with a crime of violence or a nonforcible sex offense. The University has the discretion to disclose the final results of any disciplinary proceeding against a student who is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a nonforcible sex offense if, as a result of that disciplinary proceeding, the University has determined that the student in fact committed the crime or offense. The definition of "final results" is limited solely to the name of the student, the violation committed, and any sanction imposed by the University on that student. Only where a victim or witness has provided written consent may the University disclose the name of that student.

n) The University may disclose to a student's parent or legal guardian information regarding any drug or alcohol violation (whether pursuant to federal, state, or local law or institutional policy) where the student is under 21 years of age and the University has determined the student has committed a disciplinary violation.

UW-Whitewater school officials conducting research using student education records will be asked to explain the use of the records in writing. Student organizations that need confidential information about their members must obtain the signatures of all members on a form explaining how the information is to be used (the signatures must be obtained before the information will be released).

School officials who have access to student education record information assume the legal responsibility for protecting the privacy and security of the information.

Student Access to Education Records. The student will have access to education records directly related to him/her that are maintained by the University, or any of its agents, and to which FERPA applies.

A student may request access to review and inspect his/her education records by writing to the University official (registrar, dean, department chair, or other appropriate person/office) responsible for the records. The written request must indicate the records the student wishes to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct person/office to whom the request should be addressed and it becomes the student's responsibility to submit the request to that person/office. Upon receipt of the written request, the University has 45 days to comply. FERPA does not provide the student with the right to access certain records, including:

i. Sole possession records

ii. Parents' financial records used for financial aid purposes;

iii. Confidential letters and statements of recommendation placed in the student's record prior to January 1, 1975, or confidential recommendations to which the student has given prior written waiver of access and which are used for job placement, admission, or award purposes;

iv. Law enforcement unit records;

v. Certain employment records;

vi. Doctor-patient privilege (medical) records;

vii. Post-attendance records.

A student has the right to request an amendment of his/her education record that is believed to be inaccurate. However, FERPA was not intended to provide a process to be used by the student to question substantive judgments that are correctly recorded. The FERPA rights of challenge are not intended to allow a student to contest, for example, a grade in a course because he/she felt a higher grade should have been assigned. FERPA is intended to ensure the factual and accurate nature of the information in the student's educational records and the student's right to verify that information.

In those cases where FERPA intended to provide a student the right to request an amendment to an education record, the student should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record s/he wants changed, and specify why it is inaccurate. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of this right.

In the process of challenging the education record information, the student may wish to have copies of appropriate documents in his/her education record file. The University may assess the student a reasonable per copy fee for such documents. This charge does not apply to copies of the student's official academic transcript (there is a $5.00 charge for each official transcript). A request for a copy of any document in an education record will be denied if the student has a hold/service indicator on his/her records that prevents the release of the official academic transcript, or if the document is a transcript of an original or source document which exists elsewhere.

If UW-Whitewater decides, as a result of a hearing, not to amend the education record in accordance with the student's request, the student may place a written statement in the record commenting upon the information therein, and/or setting forth any reason for disagreement with the institutional decision not to amend the record. Such a statement will become part of the student's education record and will be disclosed with it.

The student has a right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by UW-Whitewater to comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Use of Human Subjects in Research. Federal law and University policy requires that all research projects involving human subjects be designed as much as possible to protect the rights of the subjects. This pertains to projects for classes on research methodology, independent studies, and thesis research. Prior to initiation of the work, each proposal involving human subjects and its provisions for their protection must be reviewed and approved by the Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects (IRB). This includes surveys. Research that has not been reviewed and approved by the IRB will not be covered by the UW-Whitewater liability insurance.

It is the policy of UW-Whitewater that all research shall be conducted under the supervision of a qualified faculty or staff member. Therefore, all students must submit a complete IRB protocol review form signed by the faculty advisor.

All IRB forms and guidelines can be obtained from the Research and Sponsored Programs Office, 2023 Roseman; or from the web Call (262) 472-5212 with questions and document requests.

Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. All students involved in the care or use of animals and all facilities used for such animals must operate within the guidelines of the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. Copies of the Guide and other pertinent materials may be obtained from Research and Sponsored Programs Office, 2023 Roseman, (262) 472-5212 or from web


Registration. Official registration for any session is accomplished only after students have been admitted and granted permission to register by receiving an admission letter from the Graduate Studies Office and have completed the registration process via the WINS Registration System. Students may not attend a course/section without properly registering for it or adding it to their schedule of classes. Registration may not be permitted for any session after the last date of registration. The University reserves the right to close registration before the deadline if its enrollment capacity has been reached. Visit the Registrar's home page for questions on registering

Schedule of Classes. Published each term by the Registrar's Office, it includes all policies, procedures, courses offered with their requisites, and other information pertinent to registration. Online viewing at

Changes in Registration. Students who intend to make a change in their class schedule, including withdrawal from the University, are subject to the procedures, deadlines, and fee refund policies that are printed in the schedule of classes for the given term. Failure to follow the procedures and meet the deadlines may result in students receiving failing grades for not completing the course work.

In general, students may not add a course after the first week of classes in a regular academic term. If a student drops a course after the tenth day of classes in Fall or Spring terms, a "W" grade will be recorded on the student's academic record. After the sixth week in a regular academic term, or after 33% of the class days have passed in Summer session(s) or a Winterim term, drops are only processed through the instructor by appeal.

Students who want to completely terminate their study during a term, even if they are registered for only one course, will need to file a withdrawal form. Withdrawal from the University means complete separation from all courses, residence halls, food service and related student activities for the term; however, the students' files remain active per the guidelines detailed in the section entitled Application Process. Withdrawal forms are available at the Registrar's Office. The deadline to withdraw from the University is the end of the thirteenth week of a regular academic term.

Course. Courses at UW-Whitewater are designated by an abbreviated subject name of the department that is offering the course and by a three digit course number. The three digit number indicates the level of the course. Courses numbered 500 or higher are graduate courses, where as those numbered under 500 are undergraduate courses. Courses numbered 500 through 599 are junior-graduate courses, and those numbered 600 through 699 are senior-graduate courses. Courses numbered 700 or higher are open only to graduate students.

Grading System. Students may earn regular grades of A, AB, B, BC, C, D, and F in graduate courses. Grading is based upon a 4.00 system: each semester credit of A is assigned four grade points, each semester credit of AB is assigned 3.5 grade points, each semester credit of B is assigned three grade points, etc. Students' degree grade point averages and their grade point averages in a major or emphasis area (as shown on their academic progress reports) are calculated upon the graduate course work attempted at UW-Whitewater and graduate courses accepted in transfer from other institutions. Students' overall UW-Whitewater grade point averages (shown on transcripts) are calculated solely upon all the graduate course work attempted at UW-Whitewater.

In addition to the regular grades mentioned above, instructors may assign special grades in certain situations. A grade of S denotes the student has passed a course taken on a pass/fail basis. Students registered for a course on this basis receive either an S or an F. While grades of F count in computing grade point averages, S grades do not. Instructors decide what constitutes pass for their courses. Students should request the criteria prior to the deadline for changing registration (see the terms schedule of classes for course change deadlines). All 799 Thesis Research courses are graded on a pass/fail basis. Workshops may be taken on a pass/fail basis. Other courses made available by departments on a pass/fail only basis are so indicated in advance in the schedule of classes. Since the decision on whether a course taken on a pass/fail basis will count in a degree program rests with the degree program, students should attain appropriate permission from the degree Program Coordinator prior to taking a course pass/fail.

A grade of NC indicates an unsuccessful attempt of a practicum graded on a satisfactory/no credit basis. This grade differs from an F in that it is not computed in the grade point average.

In courses designed to extend beyond the term of registration, e.g., thesis research, instructors may assign a grade of IP to indicate "in progress" toward completion. In courses not designed to extend beyond the term of registration, instructors may assign a grade of I to indicate a student's course work was incomplete due to documented extenuating circumstances. Neither IP nor I grades are calculated into the term or cumulative grade point averages. An I grade is accompanied by a signed contract in which the instructor specifies the work to be completed by the student. An IP or I grade is replaced by a regular grade when the course work is completed. The grade point average for the term in which the course was registered, as well as for subsequent terms, and cumulative grade point averages will then be retroactively computed using the regular grade replacement. A regular grade cannot be changed to a IP or I on a temporary basis. With the exception of 799 Thesis Research, course work must be completed within one calendar year from the time the IP or I grade was assigned. Students may petition instructors for extensions of this deadline. Instructors granting extensions will then inform the Registrar's Office. The Registrar's Office automatically changes a P or I grade to an F when the work has not been completed by the deadline.

A grade of NN is recorded by the Registrar's Office when an instructor does not report a grade for a student officially registered for the course. The student must take the initiative to remove or change any IP, I, or NN grades. The grading symbol for audit is X. This grade is not calculated in the grade point average and no credit is earned in courses registered under this option.

Absences. The notifying of instructors and arranging of makeup work in cases involving absence of students from class are the responsibility of the student. A student who is absent sho uld notify instructors by phone or in person of the absence as soon as possible. If contact with instructors cannot be made directly, the student should see that a note is placed in each instructor's mailbox, explaining the nature of the situation and inquiring about the effect of the absence on the student's course work. If that is impossible, the student should call the academic departments involved. In serious situations where the student is incapacitated and temporarily unable to perform the aforementioned responsibilities, family members may contact the Office of New Student Programs & First Year Experience (phone 262-472-3205) for assistance with these matters. The New Student Programs & First Year Experience office would then provide notification (not verification) of the absence to the instructors involved; however, arrangements for makeup work, makeup exams or possible assignment adjustments are entirely the responsibility of the student. The Student Health Service and the New Student Programs & First Year Experience offices do not provide excuses for absences from class due to illness. If students have questions or need consultation regarding specific situations, they are encouraged to contact their instructors or the academic department involved.

Permanent Academic Record. A permanent academic record will be maintained in the Records Department of the Registrar's Office. Students share in the responsibility for the accuracy of their records. Each semester's final grades should be reviewed carefully on WINS (grade reports are not mailed) and the Registrar's Office should be contacted immediately if there are any errors. No changes will be made to course entries that are not appealed within two years of the posting date, and changes will not be made to a record after the degree is officially entered.

Add/Drop Policies and Procedures. Students who participate in priority registration may make schedule changes by the online WINS Registration System through the deadline date. The last day to add a 17-week course is the fifth day of classes. The last day to add a short course (or 8-week course) is the second class period. Students must have written approval of the dean of the course to add a class after the last day to add a class has passed. Students may drop courses through the sixth week of the Fall/Spring Term. Short-term courses may be dropped through Friday of the week in which 33% of the course is completed. Drops must be done through the WINS Registration System. Note the fee reduction schedule for dropped courses in the Schedule of Classes, because there may be a charge for any course dropped after the first week of classes. Also refer to the Standards of Academic Progress in the Schedule of Classes located online at

A "W" grade will appear on student academic records (transcripts) for all courses dropped after the tenth day of instruction. This "W" grade notation will also appear on the records of students who withdraw from the University after the tenth day. THEREFORE A COMMITMENT MUST BE MADE TO THE COURSE BY THE TENTH DAY, OR IT SHOULD BE DROPPED TO AVOID THE "W" GRADE. The fifth day of classes will be the deadline for short-term courses and for Summer Term courses.

It is the student's responsibility to officially drop any class in which he/she is registered and will not be attending. Failure to do so will subject the student to academic and/or financial penalties. Deadlines for dropping classes are published in the Schedule of Classes.

Audit Policy. For purposes of audit, there are two categories of students per UW-System policy:

  1. students who are taking courses on an audit-only basis, with no courses for credit;
  2. students who are taking a combination of courses for credit and courses for audit.

Audit-Only Enrollees: Students who are auditing courses only may do so under the following stipulations:

  1. Wisconsin residents (Wis Stats 36-27 (2)) will pay 30% of the normal per unit resident academic fee and nonresidents will pay 50% of the normal nonresident fee per the fee chart. No audit fees will be assessed disabled Wisconsin residents who are receiving federal old age survivors and disability insurance benefits (OASDI) under 42 USC 401 to 433.
  2. Students will register on a space available basis with departmental permission in the week immediately prior to the start of classes. Remedial English 090) and mathematics (MATH 040 and MATH 041) may not be taken as audit-only.Note: Auditing of Art Department courses may be restricted. Contact the department for restrictions.
  3. Any special course fees other than the normal tuition charges will be assessed and paid by the student.
  4. Students registering under this option cannot change their courses to a credit grade basis during the term of enrollment.
  5. An audit (X) symbol will be recorded on the academic record provided the instructor reports satisfactory attendance.
  6. A fee of approximately $2.50 per unit will be assessed for required texts.
  7. Access to University services will be limited to the library and to nonsegregated fee funded activities of the University Center. A special identification card will be issued for auditors which will permit this limited access.
  8. Regent, University, and Student Government regulations applying to other students will apply equally to audit-only enrollees.

Audit and Unit Combination Enrollees: Students who are taking a combination of courses for regular credit and for audit will pay the regular fees for all units based upon the fee chart. The following stipulations will also apply:

a. The decision to audit must be finalized and recorded by the tenth day of classes for 16 or 17-week courses and by the end of the second class day for shorter courses.

b. No unit will be granted for the audit course, but an audit (X) symbol will appear on the academic record, provided the instructor reports satisfactory attendance.

c. The audit course may be repeated for unit in another term.

d. Audits do not count as units for either veteran benefit certification or financial aid consideration.

Withdrawal from the University. Students who find it necessary to leave the University while the term for which they are registered is still in session should report to the Registrar's office and initiate a withdrawal form. Please call the Registrar's office if questions arise at (262) 472-1570.

The following conditions apply:

a. If the withdrawal is initiated within the first ten class days of the fall/spring term, there will be no academic penalty.

b. If the withdrawal is after the tenth day of classes in a Fall/Spring Term or fifth day in summer session, "W" grades will be recorded for each of the courses in which the student is enrolled at the time of withdrawal.

c. If withdrawal is after the tenth day of classes, but the student was enrolled for six or more units on the tenth day, a whole or a partial Fall/Spring Term of eligibility will have been lost for financial aid.

d. The last day to withdraw from the University is 15 days prior to the end of the Fall/Spring Term (exam days included) and as published in Calendar announcements for all other terms.

e. Withdrawals processed after the last day to withdraw will result in the student receiving grades of "F" in those courses which are not being passed at the time of withdrawal, and the student may be suspended for not meeting the minimum grade point requirement.

f. Withdrawal does not affect the academic progression warning policy, but it may affect financial aid eligibility.

Failure to officially withdraw when leaving the University may result in students receiving failing grades in those courses for which they were enrolled. This may cause a problem in an attempt to return to the University or transfer to another institution. If students must withdraw for medical reasons, they may petition to have a portion of their academic charges reduced. The appeal process is initiated in the Office of Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs.


Course Currency Policy. Graduate courses that have not been offered for the four calendar years immediately preceding the issuance of a new catalog are dropped from the list of approved courses. The term "offered" is defined as (1) a course wherein there has been actual enrollment and wherein instruction has occurred (in graduate/undergraduate courses, undergraduate enrollment will meet this criterion) or (2) a course which during the semester immediately preceding catalog issuance has been scheduled for registration. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Graduate Council.

Course Repeat Policy. A course may not be taken for credit more than once unless it is identified in the catalog as a course that may be repeated for credit. If it is repeatable, the limitations of the number of times or maximum number of credits that may be applied to the program or degree credits may be indicated. This policy applies to both courses taken in residence at UW-Whitewater and courses accepted in transfer from another institution.

Special Courses. These courses are available on a selected basis through most of the academic departments. The course descriptions are common to all departments. However, the prerequisites and the number of credits permitted in certain programs may differ. Note the limitation of credits for degree/programs identified in the Catalog.

Group activity oriented presentations emphasizing "hands on" and participatory instructional techniques. Workshops have as their primary goal the imparting of either a specialized knowledge base regarding an instructional strategy or method or a specific skill. Presentations which are more broadly-based in content or intensive study and/or research procedures are not to be offered under a workshop number or title.

A planned and directed group excursion involving extensive academically-focused travel, usually conducted in a foreign country.

Group Activity. An advanced course of study in a defined subject matter area emphasizing small groups in intense study with a faculty member.

Group activity. Not offered regularly in the curriculum but which is offered on topics selected on the basis of timeliness, need and interest, and generally in the format of regularly scheduled bulletin offerings.

Group activity oriented presentations emphasizing "hands on" and participatory instructional techniques. Workshops have as their primary goal the imparting of either a specialized knowledge base regarding an instructional strategy or method or a specific skill. Presentations which are more broadly based in content or intensive study and/or research procedures are not to be offered under a workshop number or title.

Individual activity. Provides planned practical experience in a prescribed area with an agency and under the supervision and cooperative direction of faculty and agency person.

Group activity. An advanced course of study in a defined subject matter area emphasizing small groups in intense study with a faculty member.

Group activity. Not offered regularly in the curriculum but which is offered on topics selected on the basis of timeliness, need and interest, and generally in the format of regularly scheduled bulletin offerings.

Individual activity focusing on areas of special interest for a variable number of credits under the sponsorship of an interested faculty member involving minimal external guidance.

Guided investigation of an approved thesis topic. Students may receive credit for research activities planned in conjunction with their advisers and leading to the completion of a master's degree.

ACADEMIC FEES Academic fees are set by the Board of Regents of the UW-System and are subject to change by the Board without notice.

Room and Board. The cost of housing and meals varies greatly with different types of living accommodations and with individual life styles. However, the following information is provided as an indication of what students might expect to pay if they were to live on campus. For the fall semester of the 2001-2002 academic year, the cost of a double occupancy room in a residence hall was $1035. The cost of a 19 meal per week plan for 17 weeks was $670. Both prices are subject to change without notice.

Textbooks. Graduate students pay no textbook rental fees and are expected to purchase texts and other instructional materials that are assigned in courses. The University's Textbook Rental Service is not authorized to rent books to graduate students. The University Bookstore (Moraine Hall) sells graduate texts and other course materials. Students should check with the instructor of the course for the needed materials and textbooks. Since text requirements differ widely, no attempt is made here to estimate textbook purchase costs.

Fee Payments. UW-Whitewater offers two methods to pay fees:

(1) Payment in full. Students may pay all fees (academic, room, food) in full by the billing due date for advance registrants. If they register after the advance registration process, students should pay in full at the same time they register. Failure to receive a bill will not relieve students from making payments by the required due dates.

(2) University Installment Credit Plan. If electing to use the installment plan, students must fulfill the following requirements:

A) They must have a signed Installment Credit Agreement on file with the University and make a $100.00 down payment on their student account.

B) The balance of the financial obligation plus a FINANCE CHARGE AT AN ANNUAL RATE OF 15% (1 1/4% monthly periodic rate) on the balance. Billing statements are mailed to the student's local address as filed with the Office of the Enrollment Services; however, failure to receive a statement in no way relieves a student from the obligation to make timely payments.

C) Failure to have a signed Installment Credit Agreement on file will result in administrative charges up to $75 if fees are not paid in full during the registration fee payment process.


State Residency. Students who have been a bona fide resident of the State of Wisconsin for one full year prior to the beginning of the term of their enrollment are exempt from payment of nonresident tuition. Also, applicants who have been continuously employed full time in this state, and were relocated to Wisconsin by their current employer; or applicants who moved to Wisconsin for employment purposes and accepted current employment before applying for admission to UW-Whitewater, may, along with their spouse and dependents, be exempt from the payment of nonresident fees provided the person making the application demonstrates an intent to establish and maintain a permanent home in Wisconsin.

In addition, persons may qualify as bona fide residents if they meet any of the following criteria:

  • nonresident members of the armed forces (family included) stationed in the state, or members of the armed forces who reside in Wisconsin and are stationed at a federal military installation located within 90 miles of the borders of Wisconsin;
  • graduates of a Wisconsin high school whose parents have been bona fide residents of the state 12 months prior to the beginning of the semester of enrollment, or whose last surviving parent was a bona fide resident of the state 12 months preceding his/her death;
  • adult students who have been employed as migrant workers in the state for at least 2 months each year for 3 of the 5 years preceding the beginning of any semester or session for which they register at a university or center, or for at least 3 months each year for 2 of the 5 years preceding the beginning of the semester of enrollment;
  • official refugees who moved to the state immediately upon arrival in the United States and who have resided in the state continuously; or
  • minors or dependent adult students provided one or both parents have been bona fide residents of the state for at least 12 months preceding the beginning of the semester of enrollment.

Intent to become a bona fide resident may be demonstrated or disproved by factors including, but not limited to, filing of Wisconsin income tax returns, eligibility to vote in Wisconsin, motor vehicle registration in Wisconsin, possession of a Wisconsin operator's license, place of employment, and self support.

However, applicants who enter and remain in this state principally to obtain an education are presumed to continue to reside outside this state, and such presumption continues in effect until rebutted by clear and convincing evidence of bona fide residence.

Minnesota-Wisconsin Reciprocity. This agreement allows Minnesota residents to pay a reduced nonresident fee to attend a Wisconsin university. Arrangements to participate in this program may be made by filing an application with the State of Minnesota Higher Education Services Office, Reciprocity Program, 1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350, St. Paul, MN, 55108-5227. (Telephone: (651) 642-0567 or 1-800-657-3866; web site


Graduate Assistantships. UW-Whitewater has a limited number of graduate assistantships for selected full-time graduate students. To be eligible for consideration, individuals must be enrolled in a graduate degree program at UW-Whitewater in good standing status. Graduate assistants must register for at least nine graduate credits, but no more than 12 credits, each semester.

Students receiving full assistantship awards are expected to perform 20 hours of service per week. Work loads for partial awards are reduced proportionately. Duties will involve assignments such as laboratory assistant, research assistant, the preparation of materials for instruction, or other assignments of an academic nature.

The amount of a full assistantship award for the 2003-2004 academic year was $9,266. The award amount and availability of graduate assistantships for subsequent years is contingent upon funding being appropriated from the Wisconsin State Legislature, and is subject to change. All students who receive at least 2/3 of a full assistantship for an academic year or one semester will qualify for fringe benefits (such as health, dental, and life insurance). When funds are available, out-of-state students who receive at least 2/3 of a full assistantship for an academic year or for one semester will be eligible for a remission of the nonresident portion of tuition costs for the corresponding time period. In addition, the out-of-state portion of the fees may be waived for the summer session if the student received at least 2/3 of a full assistantship award for the preceding spring semester.

New applicants for degree programs must complete and return an application for admission and may apply for a graduate assistantship. Students who have already been admitted to a graduate degree program should submit only an application for a graduate assistantship. Completed application forms should reach the Graduate Studies Office by March 15 of the preceding year for first consideration. Recipients will be notified in writing and issued an employment contract as early as possible.

Nonresident Fee Remission. Applicants must have a "nonresident" status, enrolled in a graduate degree program in "good standing" and registered for at least eight (8) graduate credits in the semester seeking a remission (at least five (5) during summer term). Applicants must not be under contract as a graduate assistant or, if working as a graduate assistant, under contract for less than 14 hours per week. Online MBA students are not eligible.

Advanced Opportunity Program (AOP) Awards. The purpose of AOP is to expand the number of minority/disadvantaged students who receive graduate degrees from UW-Whitewater. To be eligible for an AOP award, individuals must be (1) U.S. citizens or permanent residents at the time of application and (2) members of traditionally under-represented minority groups (Black, Hispanic, American Indian/Alaskan Native or statutorily designated Southeast Asian) or nonminority/disadvantaged students. Individuals who are residents of the State of Wisconsin and members of the aforementioned minority groups are given highest priority for receiving AOP awards.

The amount of a full AOP award for the 2003-2004 academic year was $7,000. The award amount for subsequent years is contingent upon funding being appropriated from the Wisconsin State Legislature, and is subject to change. Out-of-state students who receive AOP awards are also eligible for a remission of the nonresident portion of tuition costs for the time period of the award.

Additional information and application forms are available by contacting the Office of the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Support Services, 226 McCutchan Hall, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Whitewater, WI 53190-1790. Phone: (262) 472-4985.

Financial Aid. Financial assistance is basically available to UW-Whitewater graduate students in the form of loans and employment. These aid types make up a financial aid package. The various forms of financial aid available for graduate students are listed below. The terms and conditions are those in effect at the time of publication of this catalog and are subject to change without notice.

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR). DVR assistance may be available to students having some type of disability. Vocational Rehabilitation is a Division of the Wisconsin Department of Health and Social Services. Students should contact their local DVR counselor in addition to filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Perkins Loan. A limited number of Federal Perkins Loans are available to graduate students who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States who have borrowed their maximum amounts in the Federal Direct Loan(s) Programs. Students must be enrolled at least half time (4.5 credits) and demonstrate financial need to be eligible. Students may borrow a total of $40,000 for undergraduate and graduate study combined. Borrowers must sign a note for the loan which is interest free as long as they are enrolled at least half time at any eligible institution. Repayment of the principal plus 5% interest per year begins nine months after students leave school or graduate. The repayment period is 10 years.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Subsidized). The Federal Direct Stafford Loan enables undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at least half time to borrow directly from the federal government. To be eligible, students must demonstrate financial need. The school determines financial need based on the information provided on the FAFSA. The federal government pays the interest on these loans while students are in school and during certain periods, such as grace and deferment (a postponement of repayment).

Graduate students are eligible to receive up to $8,500 per year. There is a $65,500 cumulative total for undergraduate and graduate study.

Federal Direct Loans are interest free until six months after graduation or the time the student leaves school. An origination fee is assessed at the time the loan is made. Interest rates are variable and are adjusted each year on July 1. The interest rate cannot exceed 8.25%.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Unsubsidized). To be eligible, students do NOT need to demonstrate financial need. However, students are obligated to pay all interest even while enrolled, which differs from the subsidized loan. Graduate students are eligible to receive up to $10,000 in this program or up to $18,500 in combination of both programs (subsidized and unsubsidized).

Federal Work-Study Employment. The Federal Work-Study program is a federally funded financial aid program available to citizens or permanent residents of the United States. To be eligible, students must (1) receive a Federal Work-Study allocation as a part of the financial package and (2) be enrolled at least half time (4.5 graduate credits) or have been accepted for such enrollment. Federal Work-Study employment is typically on campus, and work schedules are set up around classes. Students are encouraged to participate in the many community-service related activities available. Typical on-campus jobs include clerical work; assisting in the library, laboratories, or computer labs; tutoring; and child care assistance. During the summer or other vacation periods when students do not have classes, they may work a maximum of 40 hours per week. In general, the basic pay is the prevailing minimum wage. Proceeds from Federal Work-Study employment paid directly to the student are not automatically subtracted from the student bill.

Regular Student Payroll. Each year hundreds of on-campus part-time jobs are made available by UW-Whitewater. Jobs (similar to Federal Work-Study positions) in university offices, laboratories, or other facilities can be applied for by any student enrolled on at least a halftime (4.5 graduate credits) basis. In addition to advertising on Cable 19 the Financial Aid Office web site has a new link under the "Student Employment" tab called "Student Jobline." Follow the "Student Jobline Directions" to get to the exact location of both on and off-campus part-time or temporary employment opportunities.

Food Service Employment. CHARTWELLS, the private company with the contract to provide food services to UW-Whitewater hires approximately 300 students each year to work in the dining halls and for its catering service.

Off-Campus Employment. Each year the Financial Aid Office lists many part-time jobs in private homes, businesses, and industries in the Whitewater area. These openings are listed via the Cable TV Channel 19 "Student Jobline." Students on foreign student visas (F-1's) are not eligible for off-campus employment without special permission.

In addition to advertising on Cable 19, the Financial Aid Office web site has a new link under the "Student Employment" tab called "Student Jobline." Follow the "Student Jobline Directions" to get to the exact location of both on and off-campus part-time or temporary employment opportunities.

Advanced Opportunity Program Grants. AOP grants are intended for African American, Latino, American Indian, designated Southeast Asian, and disadvantaged graduate students. Both Wisconsin residents and nonresidents are eligible, although preference is given to Wisconsin residents. Full-time and part-time graduate students are eligible. For more information students may contact Academic Support Services at (262) 472-4985.

Application for Financial Aid. To apply for financial aid at UW-Whitewater the application process is as follows: Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit it to Federal Student Aid Programs. Continuing students may file a Renewal Application with the Federal Student Aid Programs, which will require only updating certain data elements instead of completing an entire application again. The FAFSA is available at the Financial Aid Office.

Students may also apply for federal student aid via the internet. The FAFSA web site is:

The FAFSA must be completed after January 1 of the new year once the federal income tax returns for the previous year are completed. Students should submit the FAFSA by the priority date of March 15. Applications submitted after March 15 may be too late for many aid programs.

The student must be accepted for admission before the application will be considered. It is the applicant's responsibility to submit all requested documentation on a timely basis. The status of the student's application can be determined by calling Financial Aid at (262) 472-1130.

Summer Term. To apply for summer term financial aid, students must complete a Summer Term Application which is available in the Financial Aid Office during the spring semester. In addition, the current academic year FAFSA must be completed no later than the spring semester (if not already on file). Graduate students must be enrolled for at least 4.5 credits to be eligible for aid.

For more detailed information, please contact the Financial Aid Office, 130 Hyer Hall, UW-Whitewater, Whitewater, WI 53190-1790.

Academic Progress. Students are required to comply with UW-Whitewater's Academic Progress requirement in order to maintain their eligibility for financial aid. Full-time graduate students who are enrolled in a degree program may receive federal financial aid for a maximum of six semesters of full-time awards. Halftime students are eligible for a maximum of 12 semesters of halftime awards. Students who receive aid based upon full-time enrollment must complete (with a "C" or better) nine credits each semester and 18 credits each year. Halftime aid recipients should successfully complete 4.5 credits each semester and 9 credits per year. Failure to meet the above requirements will result in loss of eligibility for all major types of financial aid. Students who do not meet the requirements may appeal their academic progress status.

Changes Affecting Financial Aid. The student's financial aid package is subject to change based upon assistance received from other sources. This includes private scholarships, fee waivers, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation funds, AOP grants, etc. Students should notify the Financial Aid Office directly of changes that may affect their ability to fund their education. These changes may include loss of employment or benefits, a significant decrease in income, separation or divorce, death or disability.

Federal Policy for Return of Title IV Funds for Financial Aid Recipients. The Financial Aid Office must adhere to Federal law when determining the return of Financial Aid to the Financial Aid Programs.

Reduction in Credits: Financial Aid is awarded based on tuition and other related charges. When a student reduces credits during a term, the financial aid disbursed could exceed these charges. If this occurs, the Financial Aid Office may revise the student's financial aid, and return to the programs the amount that exceeds the reduced charges.

Withdrawal: If a financial aid recipient withdraws during a term, the Financial Aid Office must calculate the amount of Title IV aid the student did not earn. Unearned funds must be returned to Title IV Programs.

The basic formula is: Earned aid = (Percent of enrollment period completed bases on withdrawal date) x (Aid that disbursed or could have disburses)

Unearned Aid = (aid that disbursed or could have disbursed) - (earned aid)

The school must return: (amount of institutional charges) X (the percent of aid that was unearned)

The student must repay: (the amount of unearned Title IV aid to be returned) - (the amount of unearned Title IV aid due from the school)

If the repayment of funds affects grant dollars received, the student's repayment of these funds will be reduced by 50%. Students will repay loan funds based on the repayment terms of the promissory note.

If a student withdraws the first term, but plans to return spring term, he/she must submit WRITTEN notification to the Financial Aid Office so that aid may be reinstated and/or revised. If a student fails to notify the Financial Aid Office, the aid will remain cancelled.

Continue >>

Request Info