School of Graduate Studies Apply Now
Graduate Studies Header

School of Graduate Studies

Apply Now!

Graduate Catalog

Academic Calendar

Directory of Fac/Staff

Maps and Directions

Graduate Policies, Procedures & University Information


Students with a bachelor's or master's degree seeking a first time license must meet the eligibility requirements before applying for Professional Education Admission. Cumulative grade point average for admission is based on all credits received in a bachelor's and/or master's degree that would be accepted UW-Whitewater. Students who do not meet the minimum GPA requirement for admission should investigate the College of Education Academic Forgiveness Policy.

It is the student's responsibility to schedule an appointment with the department chairperson in the licensure area of interest in the College of Education. This appointment is used so that eligibility for admission to Professional Education and general education for licensure (PI4/PI34) requirements can be verified. The student should take photocopies of degree courses to this scheduled meeting.

Students with a bachelor's or master's degree should contact the appropriate program coordinator to develop an individual licensure plan. An Advising Report (AR) is not used for post-baccalaureate licensure program approval.

All students eligible to apply for admission into Professional Education will be admitted, by program, based on program space availability. Admission to Professional Education is based on 1) Completing all eligibility requirements and 2) Placement in a rank ordering of applicants according to the most recent combined (accrediting baccalaureate degree and other degree courses that meet UWW Admissions criteria) cumulative GPA. Students who receive academic forgiveness for the GPA requirement are rank-ordered AFTER nonacademic forgiveness students. There are several steps in the process of applying for admission to professional education. First, students must meet the Basic Eligibility Requirements (see below). Also, they must complete an application form and attach letterhead stationary documenting 300 of the 350 hours of experiences with learners in an educational facility/facilities. Third, they must meet the General Education for Licensure Requirements (see below). Admission to professional education is guaranteed for students who meet all eligibility requirements and have a combined cumulative GPA of 3.4 or higher on accredited baccalaureate degree and all other courses that meet UWW Admissions criteria.

Basic Eligibility Requirements:

  • Pass all three portions of the Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST). (Information about this test is available at Testing -Roseman Building, Room 2054.)
  • Attend a Professional Education Orientation Meeting (dates available at
  • Pass each course (with "C"/"S" or better) or concurrent enrollment in each course of the Pre-Professional Block (not required for Early Childhood majors). The three courses of the Pre-Professional Block are "Observation and Participation (O&P)," "Child Development," or "Educational Psychology" or "Human Abilities and Learning" and "Education in a Pluralistic Society." The prerequisites to register for the Pre-Block are: a) Have a cumulative GPA of 2.75, b) Complete a minimum of 12 credits that would be accepted by UWW as degree credits or hold a baccalaureate degree, and c) Pass 2 of the 3 sections of the PPST.
  • Pass Phase 2 Portfolio
    (This is completed in UWW's O&P class or in a 1 credit EDFOUND 214 class at UWW).
  • Pass (with a "C"/"S" or better) or concurrent enrollment in Speech 110 (or equivalent). See the University Catalog/Schedule of Classes or website for information about waivers, if applicable.
  • 2.75 GPA on all credits received in a Bachelors and/or Master's degree that would be accepted by UWW.
  • Experiences with Learners (minimum of 350 hours beginning with freshman year in high school)

1. At least 300 hours of verified experiences from educational facility/facilities such as schools, agencies, institutions, centers or organizations. Use letterhead stationary from the educational agency to provide verification. Verification statements should include experience descriptions, dates of involvement, total number of hours and be signed by the senior member of the agency. Some possible examples include: instructional aide, substitute teaching, daycare teacher, classroom volunteer, coach, camp counselor, after school tutor, Sunday School teacher, etc.

2. Up to 50 hours of experiences that may be related to the role of teacher not associated or attached to an educational facility (description or verification should be provided). Some possible examples include: child care, job related training, parenting, tour group leader, etc.

There will be three admission cycle deadlines in fall, spring, and summer. Applicants will be ranked with the pool of students applying during that particular period. Students who are not admitted may reapply during any subsequent admission period and will be re-ranked with the new pool of applicants.

Applications turned in after the deadline that meet all of the eligibility requirements will be considered on a space available basis only. If no space is available in the program for which the applicant is applying, the student's application will be placed in the applicant pool for the next admissions cycle.

Admissions outside the regular admission schedule will be granted to those students who apply to a program with space available up until four days prior to the last day to add a class of that admission term. Applications received after that date will become part of the next regular admission process whereby all applications are rank ordered by cumulative GPA. Students applying outside the regular admission cycle must meet ALL the eligibility requirements, and no one will be admitted as an exception to GPA or PPST requirements.

Admission to professional education by exception is available to those students who attempt three sections of the PPST but only pass two sections OR whose GPA is below a 2.75. No applications will be considered that do not meet either the GPA or PPST requirement. At least one of these criteria must be met. Only up to 10% of the students in each admission cycle may be admitted by exception. Candidates for admission by exception will be rank ordered by their cumulative GPA. Applicants who turn in their application after the deadline will not be eligible for consideration as an exception until the next admission cycle. Students applying for admission by exception either by PPST or GPA are not eligible for continuous admission.

Students seeking teacher licensure must be admitted to Professional Education in order to enroll in selected upper division courses (300/500-400/600) in Education.

Students admitted to the University with a declared master's degree in education are not automatically guaranteed admission to professional education. Students who meet stated criteria will be admitted on a space available basis.

Specific information on the process for admission into Professional Education is available at the College of Education Advising Assistance Center. (Winther Hall, Room 2003).

Teacher Licensure Requirements:

The College of Education at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater requires all students seeking initial endorsement for Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction licensure to complete the following licensure requirements:

  • Pre-student Teaching Clinical Experience: Each student, under the supervision of professional school personnel, shall complete a pre-student teaching clinical program consisting of a minimum of 100 clock hours of experience working directly with children and youth within a school or other instructional setting. Each student will complete Observation and Participation and Field Study.
  • Educational Foundations: Education in a Pluralistic Society
  • Reading and Language Arts: This requirement has been integrated into the curricula of all licensure programs.
  • Measurement and Evaluation Course: Appropriate to the licensure program, Measurement and Evaluation in Elementary Schools; Measurement and Evaluation in the Secondary Schools; or Measurement and Evaluation in Physical Education.
  • Directed Teaching:

1. Experiences in schools. All students seeking initial endorsement for licensure by UW- Whitewater must earn credits from UW- Whitewater in conjunction with experiences in schools. Additional information about these experiences is available from the Office of Field Experiences or from the appropriate department in the College of Education.

2. Pre-Professional Semester. A minimum of 50 hours in a school setting that serves a diverse population. Presently this experience takes place in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The Office of Field Experiences arranges for transportation of the students. Students are assessed a transportation fee.

3. Professional Block. One or more experiences in schools. Students are placed in schools located within the service area of the College of Education, generally within 50 miles of campus. Students are responsible for their own transportation during Professional Block experiences.

4. Directed Teaching ("student teaching"). All students seeking initial endorsement for licensure must complete a full day, full semester experience following the daily schedule and semester of the cooperating school (not the university semester). Students who seek endorsement from UW- Whitewater must complete at least 14 credits of academic work from UW-Whitewater prior to Directed Teaching. Students are placed in schools located within the service area of the College of Education, generally within 50 miles of campus. Placements are made by the University on the basis of quality and other programmatic considerations. Students are responsible for their own transportation and housing arrangements during Directed Teaching.

  • Environmental Education. Students whose programs lead to Wisconsin licensure in elementary education, science, or social studies must fulfill the statutory requirement in environmental education. In addition to appropriate work in their methods classes, students must elect one of the following courses: Human Environmental Problems or Ecology and Society.
  • Cooperatives. Students whose programs lead to Wisconsin licensure in social studies must fulfill the statutory requirements in cooperatives by selecting one of the following courses: Economic Principles, Problems and Policies, or Cooperatives.
  • Special Education. All persons who receive an initial Wisconsin elementary or secondary license must complete a special education requirement. This requirement has been integrated into the curricula of all licensure programs. Students who successfully complete an elementary or secondary program at UW-Whitewater will have fulfilled this state requirement.
  • Human Relations Requirements. All professional education programs leading to initial licensure require study and experiences in human relations. Specific information on the course and experience requirements is available in the Office of Field Experiences, Winther 2038.

General Education for Licensure Requirements:

The State of Wisconsin through the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction has implemented a set of teacher education program rules that are referred to as PI 4 (PI 34 beginning August 2004). These rules describe general education requirements that must be met by all teachers seeking their first teaching license, regardless of previous degrees.

Students who hold a baccalaureate/master's degree must meet the following areas:

1. Written and Oral Communication

2. Mathematics

3. Fine Arts

4. Social Studies

5. The Humanities, including Literature.

6. Biological Science

7. Physical Science (any course from Astronomy, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, or the 5-credit Physical Geography lab)

8. Western History or Western Contemporary Culture

9. Non-Western History or Non-Western Contemporary Culture

10. Wisconsin Model Academic Standards (beginning August 2004)

All students with a baccalaureate or higher degree must have the PI4 (PI34) requirements verified. Verification of this requirement is completed by the student's Program Coordinator or Department Chair.

Specific information on the general education for licensure (PI4/PI34) requirements and the approval list of courses are available at


Instructional Technology Services. ITS provides technology support for the instructional needs of faculty, staff and students. Some of the services include: support for general access computing labs, college computing labs and technology classrooms; consultation and production assistance for teaching and courseware development activities; support for web-based instruction and application development for instructional use; audiovisual and film services, satellite downlink services; and the technical support for the compressed video distance education classroom.

Data Networking. The Backbone Data Network Group is responsible for the campus LAN, Internet access and network security systems. This group provides design, support, installation, and administrative support for the following services; data cabling to the workstation, backbone optical cabling, Ethernet and wireless LAN systems; routers, firewalls. DNS, DHCP, and general consulting regarding network services.

Network Operations Center. The Network Operations Center provides administrative and analytical support for many of the centralized UW-Whitewater administrative computing systems. Some of the services provided by this group include: Availability and capacity monitoring of centralized server and network services, data base administration, Unix administration, administration of the enterprise tape backup, coordination of upgrades and maintenance activity that interrupts network infrastructure services and access to the centralized computing services, processing of special queries and infrastructure support for the PeopleSoft and Campus Financial systems.

Telecommunications. Telecom Services is responsible for the maintenance of the on-campus phone system, including voice mail, various key systems, and access to the STS long distance phone service. The on-campus service is Centrex from Ameritech, and the long distance STS service is provided by the State Contract with AT&T, in cooperation with Ameritech.

Applications Development. The responsibility of the Applications Development group is to design, develop, implement, and maintain computer applications for the effective operation of the University administrative functions, especially in support of the PeopleSoft Student Administration System, to assist in the selection, implementation, and support of purchased software needed to support University administrative functions, and to develop interfaces to existing systems as needed, to develop and implement standards and security to ensure integrity and confidentiality of information, and to provide training and support to faculty and staff in the use of administrative systems.

Helpdesk, Training and Desktop Support. T&IR provides a central helpdesk, training program and desktop services in support of the use of university-owned computer workstations and printers. Such services include: computer acquisition, setup, redeployment and disposal; maintenance and repair of computers and printers; workstation access to the campus LAN; installation and maintenance of university-supported software; problem resolution by telephone, email and personal appointment; and customer training in the use of campus technologies.

Email, Internet and File storage Services. Enterprise email, Internet (web), and file storage services are made available to all faculty, staff and students at UWW. T&IR maintains the infrastructure for and operation of these services, which include: the UWW web site, enterprise email system, listserves for group communication, storage for personal web publishing, and both personal and shared network storage space accessible through the campus LAN and on the web.

University Library. The Library supports the curricular and research needs of the University community through the development of collections and services designed to facilitate access to information. Assistance is available at Circulation/Reserves, Reference and Periodicals desks, Archives and through chat/email. The Library offers comprehensive instruction programs including course related instruction and tours. The Library web site serves as the gateway to the library catalog, licensed online resources including full-text, data and indexing/abstracting services, library catalogs of the world and selective internet sites of research value. Library resources include an in-house collection of over 2 million items: 657,300 volumes of books, serial backfiles, and other paper materials including government documents; 120,600 microforms; 16,9200 audiovisual items, 1862 current subscriptions of journals and newspapers, and online access to over 10,000 e-journals, 8700 e-books and over 150 other databases. Through Universal Borrowing, a feature on the common library system, collections of University of Wisconsin libraries can be shared efficiently.

Observatory. The Whitewater Observatory is a teaching and research facility. Contained in the observatory dome is a 16 inch Cassegrain reflecting telescope. The facility includes a general-purpose room in which evening observing sessions, public lectures, and supervised student research take place, and a darkroom equipped for film development and print-making by students registered in astronomy classes. While the observatory dome is maintained at an outside temperature, both the general-purpose room and photo lab are actively heated in winter and cooled in summer. Immediately outside of the observatory is a viewing area for constellation studies and for instruction in the use of small, portable telescopes. The observatory is used by astronomy classes for both daytime and nighttime activities, for lectures to the general public on alternate Friday evenings during semesters, and for tours for school groups.

Distance Education. As an alternative to face-to-face instruction in the traditional classroom, faculty have the ability to deliver portions of their courses to off-campus students using the following technologies: (1) Audioconferencing - WisLine is a service utilizing standard telephone lines to link individuals at sites anywhere in the state or the world; (2) Enhanced Audioconferencing - WisLine Web is a new interactive, multimedia service allowing faculty to communicate by synchronous audio while simultaneously showing PowerPoint visuals or demonstrating software, exploring Websites or graphics, or taking interactive polls; (3) Compressed Videoconferencing - A UW System digital compressed network allows interactive audio and video connections between all four-year institutions. Connectivity has been expanded to include UW Colleges and K-12 schools.

These methods of course delivery generally require synchronous interaction; therefore, students need to be at a specific site at a specific time as they would in a traditional on-campus class. Each of the interactive technologies described is available at our sister institutions across the UW System. Some technologies can be used to reach students at their offices or homes, although there may be an additional cost to the student for this kind of access.

Faculty are being trained in the use of course management tools that will enable them to teach all or a portion of their courses on the Web. The Online MBA program is one example of a UW-Whitewater graduate degree program where all of the course work can be completed online. For more information about the Online MBA, visit the website

Distance education courses are listed under their departmental headings in the UWW Schedule of Classes or in the Outreach Timetable. These publications are available by contacting the Office of Graduate Studies & Continuing Education, Roseman 2013, (262) 472-1100. A complete listing of UW System credit and noncredit distance education courses is made available each semester in the form of an online catalog.

Licensure. Issues related to teacher licensure are handled by the Office of Teacher Licensing. Graduate students who seek a teaching license should be certain that their proposed program meets all of UW-Whitewater's approved program standards before embarking on a program of study. This is true in both the case of initial licensure and additions to existing licenses. In order to ascertain current licensure requirements, students should direct their questions to the Licensure Office, Winther Hall. Phone (262) 472-1184.

Career Services. The services of the Office of Career Services (Anderson Library 2002) are available to graduate students as the need may arise. Many students take advantage of these services as they explore career fields, develop career plans, prepare themselves for the job search, and actually search for employment. The services include a library of career information, career planning and employment counseling, web-based job opportunities, on campus recruiting, and an employer referral system for the benefit of registrants. For more information, visit the Career Services website at or contact staff the directly at 262.472.1471.

Residence Life. The University provides residence hall accommodations for approximately 3,800 students in 14 residence halls. In addition, many property owners in the city provide housing facilities for students. On campus, a variety of residence hall living accommodations are available, including single rooms, double rooms, triple rooms, and suites. There is no University-operated housing for married students; however, most married students are able to find apartments, mobile homes, or rental houses in Whitewater or neighboring communities. For further information regarding on-campus housing, contact the Residence Life Office in Goodhue Hall, Suite 200, check out our website at or call (262) 472-4200.

Short-term Guest Housing. The Office of Residence Life offers inexpensive overnight residence hall accommodations when space is available. For more information about the service, contact Residence Life at (262) 472-4200.

Parking. All persons who use unmetered University parking facilities must display a valid parking permit issued by Visitor Parking Services. To accommodate the parking needs of on-campus resident students, commuting students, faculty, and staff, some parking facilities are restricted. Observe restrictions posted at each parking facility.

A parking permit may be purchased at the Visitor Parking Services Office located in the Visitor Center, 826 Starin Road. It is not necessary to have a permit on a vehicle that is parked at a meter; however, it is necessary to pay the meter even if the vehicle has a permit. Vehicles parked in violation of University regulations will be ticketed. For more information call Visitor Parking Services at (262) 472-1011.

University Police. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater University Police Department is a full-service law enforcement agency providing 24-hour police protection and services to the campus community. The department is staffed by eleven sworn police officers, two part-time police officers and one non-sworn employee.

Part of the mission of the University Police Department is to provide protection of life and property to all persons within the boundaries of the university, to uphold the rights guaranteed under the United States Constitution, and to enforce state laws, codes and UW System regulations in a fair and just manner. The department works toward this goal by conducting investigations into alleged criminal activity, the implementation and presentation of crime prevention programs, development of new and innovative policing programs, effecting arrests, and referring individuals into the criminal justice system or conduct systems.

Anyone requiring the services of the University Police Department can contact them 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by calling (262) 472-4660. While an officer is always on duty and can be reached by telephone, non-emergency business transactions can be conducted in person during office hours of 7:45 a.m. 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday in Goodhue Hall. Whether the victim of a crime, an injured person, a witness to an incident, someone who wants information for a presentation, or just someone who does not know where else to turn, the University Police stand ready to provide the necessary assistance.

University Health and Counseling Services. (John F. Macek, Executive Director, Ambrose Health Center, Health Services, (262) 472-1300, Counseling Services (262) 472-1305.) The University Health and Counseling Services (UHCS) provides comprehensive services and referrals for multiple concerns related to students' physical and mental health. Services are available to all currently registered UWW students from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday during the fall and spring semesters; hours vary during the evening and during summer session and break periods. A 24-hour Crisis Line is available for all students through Walworth County Human Services. UHCS staff are committed to quality service and health education with services, programs and consultations provided in many different settings (individually and with groups).

Health services include: consultation and treatment by physicians, nurse practitioners, and nurse clinicians for illnesses and injuries. Many laboratory tests (including cholesterol screening and HIV testing) and some medications are provided. Programs include weight control counseling, smoking cessation, nutrition counseling for students with eating disorders and borderline cholesterol levels, allergy shots, cold self-care, contraceptive services, diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases through regular Personal Reproductive Care (PRC) clinics, and assistance in coordination of health care for students with chronic illnesses and/or physical disabilities. UHCS does not provide eye examinations, dental care, or consultation with specialists. Assistance with referrals to outside sources of care is provided, if needed. Charges are made for some services and supplies within the Health Services, and all outside services are the financial responsibility of the student. A number of outreach programs are offered by staff and peer educators, which focus on the individual's rights and responsibilities with personal health care issues.

Health insurance is recommended; a policy is endorsed by the university and information is available from UHCS (Health Services). Hospital care is available when needed in nearby communities. Hospitals in Fort Atkinson, Janesville or Elkhorn are available for medical consultation/urgent care both day and night. In the case of emergencies, the City of Whitewater Rescue Squad should be contacted by calling 911 off-campus or 9-911 on-campus.

Counseling is free of charge and includes individual and group counseling (primarily short-term) for UWW students dealing with a number of personal issues. In addition, consultation is available to faculty, staff and students. Significant outreach efforts are made with the campus and the community. The primary focus in these outreach programs is on prevention and education.

The services are staffed by professional psychologists, social workers, and counselors, as well as supervised counselors-in-training. A consulting psychiatrist is on staff part-time. If immediate or direct services are not available here, assistance is offered with appropriate referrals. Students with ANY personal concerns (adjustment to college, relationship issues, stress management, self-esteem, roommate problems, eating disorders, sexuality issues, or just want to feel better about life) are encouraged to ask for help at UHCS. All services of UHCS are confidential.

Center for Students with Disabilities. (Roseman 1006, (262) 472-4711 [V/TT]) UW-Whitewater has had a program to provide services for students with disabilities since the 1970-1971 school year. In 1973, the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System gave UW-Whitewater a unique, specific mission to provide services for students with disabilities. As a result, the UW-Whitewater campus is one of the most accessible campuses in the nation. In addition, professional staff members in the Center for Students with Disabilities and other campus programs are available to provide a wide variety of services to meet both ordinary and unique needs of students with disabilities. Some of the service assure access to all aspects of the University life and are legally mandated. Other services are supported and/or enriching, typically available on a fee pass but promotive successful outcomes. Specialized services are provided to meet unique needs.

Services include, but are not limited to:

A) Pre-enrollment interview, evaluation and orientation.

B) Specialized academic support services.

C) Transportation to and from class and activities on and off campus (Available for a weekly charge)

D) Adapted recreation and athletics including wheelchair football, basketball, softball, soccer and wheelchair track and field.

E) Assisted Technology Center.

F) Counseling for personal, social, vocational, academic and critical intervention needs.

G) Assistance with attendant recruitment and training.

H) Physical therapy emphasizing functional training and activities of daily living.

I) Liaison with funding and sponsoring agencies.

J) Enhanced work experience, career planning and placement service.

Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Disability. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, provides that "No qualified individual with a disability shall, on the basis of disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity which receives or benefits from Federal financial assistance."

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) states "No qualified individual with a disability shall, on the basis of disability, be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of the services, programs, or activities of a public entity, or be subjected to discrimination by any public entity."

Applicants or students who believe that they may have been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability in any campus program, activity or service should contact: Compliance Coordinator, Section 504 and ADA Regulations (nonemployment), 330 Hyer Hall, (262) 472-4672.

Students For an Accessible Society ([SAS] Roseman 1006). Students for an Accessible Society (SAS) is an UWW campus organization for students with and without disabilities that has been in existence since 1971. The main goal of SAS is to break down attitudinal and architectural barriers that can infringe upon the rights of persons with disabilities by educating the public and staying politically active. SAS provides members with a unique opportunity to develop life long skills imperative to living successful adult lives.

For further information on SAS, or for information concerning other areas (i.e. transportation, housing, aides, physical therapy), students may contact Center for Students with Disabilites at (262) 472-4711. The SAS Website is

Women's Center. The Whitewater Women's Center is open during fall and spring semesters. It is a safe place for all students on campus to receive help, support, information, referrals and advocacy, on issues ranging from gender inequality to sexual violence.

The Center is a place where women and men can work together toward dissolving barriers, rules and attitudes which deny any person education, earning power, or choices about their own lives based on gender. This is done through educational programs, support groups and advocacy efforts.

Referrals utilize agencies both on and off campus that can best provide assistance to those in need. The Center also has a resource library on gender issues. For more information, please call (262) 472-2786.

International Student Programs. The Office of International Education and Programs provides individual and group counseling services and orientation, and assists international students with personal, academic, and financial problems as well as problems with housing, food, or immigration. The office also serves as a liaison with the academic and administrative areas of the University and coordinates cultural and social programs that interface foreign and domestic cultures such as the International Dinner and Host Family Program.

Children's Center. The University offers high quality preschool and school-age programs for children (ages 2-6 years during spring and fall semesters and 2-11 years old during summer sessions) of students, faculty, and staff. University students receive priority in enrollment. Part-time and full-time schedules are available to suit parents' class, work, and study times on and off-campus. The Children's Center also serves as a teacher training site and is state licensed and nationally accredited. The Center is open Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. For information regarding curriculum, registration, and fees contact the University Children's Center, Roseman Building 1035, UW-Whitewater. Phone (262) 472-1768, or check us out at

Multicultural Education Center. The Multicultural Education Center (MEC), located in UC 122, provides a friendly and inviting atmosphere that brings students, faculty and staff to its doors. The MEC has a wide array of multicultural resources that are available for students, staff and faculty, and it has an extensive multicultural library. The MEC is open to all visitors during its regular hours: Monday-Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Please contact the staff at (262) 472-2798 with any questions about its resources or to reserve the facility.

General Recreation. Sports facilities are open evenings and weekends for unorganized recreational use. Indoor facilities are available for such activities as basketball, volleyball, track (walking/jogging), racquetball, and swimming. Outdoor areas and facilities are also available for such activities as softball, football, tennis, sand pit volleyball, and basketball. A walking/jogging trail is located near Perkins Stadium for recreational use. Equipment checkout is available for these activities with a valid University I.D. Facility reservations are also available for any of the indoor or outdoor facilities, as well as the picnic shelter near Wells Hall. Williams Center Weight Room memberships and University Fitness and Aerobics memberships can be purchased through the Office of Recreation Sports and Facilities, Room 100 Williams Center. Call (262) 472-1544 for further information.

Intramural Sports Program. The Intramural Sports Program is available for male and female students, faculty and staff members. Tournaments and leagues are conducted throughout the school year in various activities such as Flag Football, Sand Volleyball, Ultimate Frisbee, Basketball, Inner tube Water Polo, Floor Hockey, Volleyball, Wiffleball, Racquetball, Dodgeball, Indoor Soccer, Outdoor Soccer, Team Handball, Badminton, Tennis, Golf, Softball, and Arena Flag Football. Entry forms for these activities are available in the Intramural Sports Office, Room 100 Williams Center or on our Intramural website Contact (262) 472-1145 for further information.

Club Sports Program. The Club Sports Program is designed to provide the opportunity for male and female students, faculty, and staff to participate in a variety of competitive, instructional, and recreational sports. Each club is formed, organized, governed, and conducted by students under the guidelines established by the Office of Recreation Sports & Facilities. Our Sport Clubs blend aspects of learning new skills, practicing with fellow participants and competing against clubs from other campuses throughout the nation. Active clubs include Men's and Women's Ice Hockey, Men's and Women's Rugby, Billiards, Bowling, Lacrosse, Men's Volleyball, Karate, Marital Arts, Cycling, Hobbits Outdoor, Ultimate Frisbee, Water Skiing, Snow Skiing, Men's Golf, Paint Ball, Hang Gliding, and the Spirit Program. Stop by the Club Sports Office, Room 100, Williams Center or call (262) 472-1145 for further information.

Religious Groups. The following religious organizations are represented on campus: Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship, Catholic Student Coalition (Roman Catholic), Lutheran and Episcopal Student Movement, Latter Day Saints Student Association, UWW Gospel Choir, United Methodist University Ministry, and WELS Lutheran Campus Ministry. In addition, the Campus Ministry Center is affiliated with the following religious faiths: Catholic, Lutheran, and Episcopal but welcomes all students. Local churches or off-campus houses maintained by religious organizations provide the facilities for religious and social programs. Some meetings are held in University facilities.

Cultural Affairs. Cultural Affairs provides all UWW students the opportunity to see and work with professional performances by nationally and internationally known theatre, dance and musicians groups booked at Young Auditorium.

The Cultural Affairs Committee is composed of both students and community members who provide input to the director and help plan, produce and promote activities for the next season and volunteer to work on the events booked for this season. Volunteer activities include ushering, providing transportation for the artists from the motel to the theatre, promoting the event to students across campus, arranging artist workshops, working on Young Auditorium receptions for artists and other aspects of event production.

The Cultural Affairs Committee chooses ten to fifteen activities of the upcoming season to be listed as Cultural Affairs events. However, tickets to all Young Auditorium season events are offered to students at greatly discounted prices averaging 60% off.

Irvin L. Young Auditorium. The Irvin L. Young Auditorium serves as host to several performing arts series including the Cultural Affairs Series, the Party at Irvs Series (popular student entertainment), the "ILY Presents" (special events) series, as well as the "Horizons" school matinee and evening family programs. In all, thirty to thirty-five professional performing arts events are held in the facility each year. The auditorium is also utilized for various music department and continuing education-sponsored activities. The unique design of the Irvin L. Young Auditorium features a graciously appointed auditorium chamber with approximately 1,300 seats, depending on configuration pattern and number of wheelchair seats utilized. Through lighting options and architectural arrangements, the auditorium can also achieve the feeling of warmth and comfortable intimacy of a much smaller space. The clean lines and uncluttered space of the chamber create an unpretentious performing environment in this state-of-the-art facility.

One of the many striking areas is the Fern Young Terrace which offers unparalleled charm guaranteed to enhance any event it houses. The facility's Kachel Center offers flexibility with its sprung hardwood floor. Conferences will find the room appealing for groups of up to 150 or as a space for small groups to meet before returning to the auditorium for larger sessions. Both the Fern Young Terrace and the Kachel Center can serve dual purposes as support spaces to complement auditorium functions or as versatile stand-alone meeting, rehearsal, or reception rooms.

University Theatre. Annually the Department of Theatre and Dance produces seven major shows, a children's play for tour, experimental and one-act plays, and a dance production. These activities provide rich opportunities for students to see a wide range of productions.

Music Activities. The Department of Music sponsors a wide variety of performing groups including Concert Choir, Chamber Singers, Women's Chorale, Jazz Choir, Symphonic Wind Ensemble, Marching Band, Concert Band, Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Combos, Percussion Ensemble, Flute Choir, Clarinet Choir, Saxophone Quartets, Early Music Ensemble, Brass Choir, and other smaller ensembles. These groups, as well as all others sponsored by the department, are open by audition to all university students. If students enjoy singing or playing a musical instrument, they will appreciate the opportunity to share in the musicianship of these groups. Contact the Music Department Office for additional information at (262) 472-1310. If students enjoy music, they will want to attend the many interesting and exciting concerts given by the campus groups, faculty artists, and guest artists. These concerts are free to students and provide a rich and memorable break in weekly routines.

Art Exhibitions. The Crossman Gallery serves the Department of Art, UW-Whitewater, and the community by providing a forum for the exhibition of art works and related educational activities. By facilitating the exhibition of distinctive works of art, the gallery offers students, faculty and visitors an opportunity to enjoy and study a variety of art expressions in a free, accessible and open environment.

Crossman Gallery also serves as an extension of the educational mission of the University by enabling students to exhibit their work and conduct research into the objects presented throughout the year in the exhibition series. The exhibits and related programming provide a forum to investigate technique and thematic issues in the visual arts, explore new technology and display emerging and established talent.

News and Public Affairs. The Office of News and Public Affairs is responsible for enhancing the image and visibility of UW-Whitewater through a wide range of services, including media relations, institutional marketing, publications, photography, event planning and issues management.

Major publications produced by NPA include Whitewater magazine, a twice-annual magazine that reaches more than 40,000 UW-Whitewater alumni; and The Reporter, a twice-monthly newsletter for faculty and staff. The office also writes and distributes hundreds of news releases each year and works closely with regional and state media to gain public recognition for campus achievements.

The office provides editing and content development support for programs that reach public audiences. NPA maintains a regularly updated "top stories" section on the UW-Whitewater home page, steers crisis communication for the university and produces a number of publications for special events, including Founders Day, Homecoming and Commencement.

Faculty, staff and students who have ideas for possible news stories are encouraged to contact NPA. For more information about NPA services, contact (262) 472-1194.