School Psychology Program
Click above to view the video
The students and faculty of the UW-Whitewater School Psychology Program welcome you to our Program Website. We are very pleased that you have chosen to visit us and hope that you will find the information contained here useful. UW-Whitewater has been educating school psychologist for over three decades. We are proud of our NASP-accredited program, our students, our cooperating field supervisors, and our many graduates who are serving children, schools, and families across the state and the nation. We are a program dedicated to training professional practitioners who will be able to function at the highest level of competency in the many roles school psychologists are called upon to play.
Here at UW-Whitewater, our emphasis is on helping our students learn to be strong, competent advocates who are always able to work for the best interest of the child - and we start preparing students right away! We place great value in providing our students with "real world" experiences in the first semester through our "Straight Talk" mentor program, job shadowing, and in-school benchmarking, as well as other program support activities. In the second year, students will find a very wide selection of field practicum sites from which to choose. Some of the features of our program about which we are particularly proud include:
- Close student-faculty relationships, allowing abundant opportunities for individualized, competency-based training, assistance, and support. Our classes are kept small for this reason.
- Close, mutually-supportive student body. The program makes a special point to encourage and support collaboration among its students and as a result, life-long professional and personal friendships emerge.
- Strong support of the program by our many alumni and network of affiliated local practitioners.
- Program-wide portfolio evaluation each year so students and faculty can exchange feedback on progress.
- Strong commitment to diversity in our student body.
- Accreditation by the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP).
- Active scholarship of our faculty with abundant opportunities for student collaboration.
- Excellent program facilities in modern surroundings, situated in picturesque south central Wisconsin only a short drive from Madison, Milwaukee, and northern Illinois suburbs.
- A 100% placement rate of students into School Psychology positions.