UWS Chapter 17: Student Nonacademic Disciplinary Procedures
UWS 17.02 Definitions
In this chapter:
- “Chief administrative officer” means the chancellor of an institution or dean of a campus or their designees.
- “Clear and convincing evidence” means information that would persuade a reasonable person to have a firm belief that a proposition is more likely true than not true. It is a higher standard of proof than “preponderance of the evidence.”
- "Days" means calendar days.
- “Delivered” means sent by electronic means to the student’s official university email address and, in addition, provided by any of the following methods:
- Given personally.
- Placed in the student’s official university mailbox.
- Mailed by regular first class United States mail to the student’s current address as maintained by the institution.
- "Disciplinary file" means the record maintained by the student affairs officer responsible for student discipline.
- "Disciplinary probation" means a status in which a student may remain enrolled in the university only upon the condition that the student complies with specified standards of conduct or other requirements or restrictions on privileges, for a specified period of time, not to exceed two years.
- "Disciplinary sanction" means any action listed in s. UWS 17.10(1) taken in response to student nonacademic misconduct.
- "Expulsion" means termination of student status with resultant loss of all student rights and privileges.
- “Hearing examiner" means an individual, other than the investigating officer, appointed by the chief administrative officer in accordance with s. UWS 17.06(2) for the purpose of conducting a hearing under s. UWS 17.12.
- “Institution” means any university, or an organizational equivalent designated by the board, and the university of Wisconsin colleges.
- "Investigating officer" means an individual, or his or her designee, appointed by the chief administrative officer of each institution, to conduct investigations of nonacademic misconduct under this chapter.
- "Nonacademic misconduct hearing committee" or "committee" means the committee appointed pursuant to s. UWS 17.07 to conduct hearings under s. UWS 17.12.
- “Preponderance of the evidence” means information that would persuade a reasonable person that a proposition is more probably true than not true. It is a lower standard of proof than “clear and convincing evidence” and is the minimum standard for a finding of responsibility under this chapter.
- "Student" means any person who is registered for study in an institution for the academic period in which the misconduct occurred, or between academic periods, for continuing students.
- "Student affairs officer" means the dean of students or student affairs officer designated by the chief administrative officer to coordinate disciplinary hearings and carry out duties described in this chapter.
- "Suspension" means a loss of student status for a specified length of time, not to exceed two years, with resultant loss of all student rights and privileges.
- “University lands” means all real property owned by, leased by, or otherwise subject to the control of the board of regents of the University of Wisconsin System.
Revised effective September 1, 2009