University Housing
Students jumping in front of Perkins Stadium


Room Reapplication Forms

Room Reapplication FAQ



2019-2020 Academic Year


1. What is Room Reapplication?

a.    Reapplication is a period of time when current residence hall students are given priority to sign up for an available room and hall of their choice for the next academic year. All residents returning to UW-W for the  upcoming academic year who wish to reside in on-campus housing must complete reapplication by April 5 th. Contracts received from current residence hall students after 4:00 pm April 5th will be processed in the same manner as incoming students.

2. How to apply for Gender Inclusive Housing option

a.    Gender Inclusive Housing was created in an effort by University Housing to provide living options to account for all of our residents and their differing needs. The term “inclusive” or “gender neutral housing” refers to rooms where people of any sex or gender can room together, including students of the “opposite” sex and students who identify with any particular gender. In order to apply for Gender Inclusive Housing, you will need to log onto your Student Portal and complete the Gender Inclusive Housing application page under the Comprehensive Application tab on the left hand side.

3.  Who is required to live on campus and go through room reapplication?

a.    The Board of Regents for the University of Wisconsin System has established the following policy: “Those freshman and sophomore students who are not veterans, married, or living with parents or legal guardians shall be required to live in a university-operated residence hall when such accommodations are available.”

b.    All returning students are allowed to live on-campus even if they are not required. Students who are required to live on-campus are students who graduated in June 2018 or later. If you do not know if you are exempt from living on-campus, please follow this link here to view the reasons a student would be exempt. 

4. How would I choose who I want to live with?

a. Do I automatically get my current room back next year?

i. No. All returning students that submit 2019-20 housing contracts will need to access the residence hall room selection website to select a room. Please check the 2019-20 Hall Specifics for further information regarding how residence halls will be set up for the 2019-20 school year. The Room Selection website will be open on April 16, 2019 and will remain open until April 22, 2019. Returning Students will receive an email from University Housing giving them a time and date to select housing. Please note, that if a student does not select housing on their specified date and time, they will have till April 22, 2019 to do so. If a student misses the April 22, 2019 deadline, and has submitted a contract, the student will be assigned to an available space at the discretion of the Room Assignments office.

b. What do I do if I want to live with a specific student? How do I choose a mutually agreed upon returning student roommate?

i. When you are filling out your application online there will be an opportunity to search and select a roommate between 9:00 am March 18, 2019 to 4:00 pm April 1, 2019.

c. Can I live with an incoming student (Freshman, Transfer, etc.)?

i. Yes, the same steps to indicate a mutually agreed upon roommate will need to be followed by indicating each other on your respected contracts, however, the returning student will be contacted separately by the Room Assignments office as to how to select a room. 

5. What is the difference between the April 5 deadline and the April 22 deadline?

a.  April 5 is the deadline for contracts to be received at University Housing in order for a student to have access to the residence hall room selection website for selecting a room on the first day of eligibility. Contracts will still be accepted after April 5 but there may be a delay in student having access to select a room.

 b.  April 22 is the last day students will have access to the residence hall room selection website. At 4:00 p.m. on April 22 the website will be shut down and all assignments will be final.

6.  How do I apply for Starin Hall or the Campus Operated Apartments or a Triple Room?

a.    To be considered for housing in Starin, Cambridge, the New Hall, and/or a triple, current residence hall students should do the following:

i.    Complete and submit a Comprehensive Application (available February 1, 2019)

ii.    Preference will be given to full applications – meaning four people signing up to live together in one suite/apartment or three people signing up together to live in one triple room. Full applications have from February 1-13 at 4pm to turn in their Comprehensive Application to the Goodhue Front Desk. Partial application will have from February 1-7 at 4pm to turn in their Comprehensive Application to the Goodhue Front Desk.

iii.    Student will need to rank their preferred living option for Starin Hall, Cambridge Apartments, the New Hall, or Triple Rooms. Students should ONLY rank the living options that they would like to be assigned to.

iv.    Accepted students will need to submit their Housing Deposit Payment Page to University Housing by March 1, 2019, in order to stay on the approved list.

v.     For more detailed information please select “Comprehensive Application Guide” 

7.  Can groups of less than 4 students submit a Comprehensive Application?

a. Yes, however partial comprehensive applications are due earlier on February 7, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. since they take longer to process in our office and they are less preferred to a full Comprehensive Application. 

8. Can suites/apartments be a combination of current residence hall students and off campus students returning to the halls?

a. Yes, however it still requires that the completed Comprehensive Applications prior to the February 13 deadline. Also students will need to submit the Deposit Payment page if they are accepted and before March 1, 2019. 

9.  How do I apply for a single room?

a. Single rooms will only be available to students with a documented medical need at this time. Students that believe that they have a medical need should contact the Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD) for more information on how to provide the sufficient documentation. Students that have approved documentation will be contacted separately about room selection.

b. Students who wish to apply for a Single Room for Fall 2019 – Spring 2020 must log onto their Student Portal, click on Comprehensive Application, and select Single Room. The student will then need to fill out, sign, and turn in the application to the Goodhue Front Desk by February 13, 2019. The Single Room application and Comprehensive Application open on February 1, 2019. 

10. When do I need to pay the $125 Deposit?

a. If the student is currently residing in the residence halls – they do NOT need to submit another deposit. The deposit that the student submitted last academic year will carry over to the next year. Students who wish to be in housing for Fall 2019 – Spring 2020 will need to sign and turn in the Deposit Payment Page to University Housing.

b. The 19-20 Housing Contract will open up on February 21, 2019. At that time, any student who wishes to live on campus, or is required to live on campus (per Question 3 and The Board of Regents) will need to submit their Housing Deposit Payment Page to University Housing by 4:00 pm on April 5, 2019. Any Housing Contracts submitted after the April 5 deadline, will be places at the discretion of the Room Assignments Office.

c. If the student is Accepted to live in Starin, Cambridge, the New Hall, Single, Triple, or Gender Inclusive they will need to submit their Deposit Payment Page by 4:00 p.m. March 1.

11. Is the $125 deposit refundable?

a. Students should read sections #12 and #13 of the housing contract carefully and understand the difference between a contract release and an exemption request. Contract item #13 refers to the deposit refund and forfeiture. It is important to understand that all cancellations must be submitted on the contract site under the cancellation tab. All cancellations should include the student name, student ID number, student signature, and reason for cancellation.


University Housing
200 Goodhue Hall
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater


The mission of University Housing is to provide quality, accessible housing and to promote student learning and personal success in an inclusive, engaging community.

Live! Learn! Engage!

Contact/Follow Us At

Phone: 262-472-HALL(4255)
Office Hours: 8am-4:30pm Monday-Friday

Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram