Starin/Apartment App FAQ
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
ABOUT STARIN HALL, FOX MEADOWS APARTMENTS AND CAMBRIDGE APARTMENTS 2017-2018 ACADEMIC YEAR
1. HOW DO I APPLY FOR STARIN HALL OR THE FOX MEADOWS/CAMBRIDGE APARTMENTS?
To be considered for housing in Starin Hall or the University Operated apartments in Fox Meadows and Cambridge, current residence hall students should do the following:
- a) Submit a signed Deposit Payment page from your housing application on the University Housing website (suggested that you submit these between February 1-3 to be eligible for the random drawing for Priority Selection)
- b) Complete and submit a Universal Application (available February 13)
a. Preference will be given to full applications - meaning four people signing up to live together in one suite or apartment.
- b. Students will need to rank their preference for Starin, the Apartments, triple rooms, or standard residence halls.
- Students should ONLY rank the living options that they would like to be assigned to.
2. CAN I APPLY FOR BOTH STARIN HALL AND THE APARTMENTS?
Yes, students can apply for both Starin Hall and the Apartments. Please rank your preferences in order from 1-4 on the universal application. If you are not accepted to your first preference you will automatically be considered for your second option that you have ranked on, etc
3. WHEN WILL I FIND OUT IF I WAS GRANTED A ROOM IN STARIN HALL OR A FOX MEADOWS/CAMBRIDGE APARTMENT?
Students that submit Starin Hall/Apartment applications by February 17th will be notified on February 27th. Notification will be sent to students by e-mail to their university e-mail account.
4. IF I AM GRANTED A ROOM IN STARIN HALL OR THE APARTMENTS, HOW DO I GET MY ASSIGNMENT?
On your application each group indicates a group leader who will be responsible for selecting their preferred suite or apartment as well as placing all roommates into each bedroom. Groups will be given a timeslot when room selection is opened up to them based on their total points. The email to the group leader with provide detailed instructions on how to select a suite or apartment.
5. WHAT CRITERIA WILL BE USED TO FILL STARIN HALL?
Preference will be given for full applications (4 students wanting to live together in a suite) that includes a submitted Deposit Payment Page. If demand for Starin Hall exceeds capacity the process to determine who is granted a suite, will be based on a number of factors including: number of years in the halls and the number of credits earned. Students currently living in Starin Hall will also be awarded 30 additional points.
6. WHAT CRITERIA WILL BE USED TO FILL FOX MEADOWS OR CAMBRIDGE APARTMENTS?
Preference will be given for full Apartment Applications (4 students wanting to live together in an apartment) that include submitted student contracts. If demand for the apartments exceeds capacity the process to determine who is granted an apartment, will be based on a number of factors including: number of semesters in the halls and the number of credits earned.
7. WHAT IF I AM NOT GRANTED A STARIN HALL SUITE OR AN APARTMENT - IS THERE A WAITING LIST?
If the demand for the suite hall or the apartments is large, a waiting list will be maintained. As vacancies occur, students on the waiting list will be contacted. University Housing will place you in your next ranked option.
8. WHAT IF I APPLY FOR STARIN HALL OR THE APARTMENTS AND DO NOT GET IN, IF I QUALIFY TO LIVE OFF CAMPUS, WILL I BE ABLE TO CANCEL MY HOUSING CONTRACT?
Yes, as long as it is prior to May 1, 2017. A written cancellation would need to be submitted. Note that students may now utilize the contract cancellation tab of the contract to submit initial intentions for a contract cancellation. A student will only be eligible to cancel if the student meets the exemption requirement (2 years past high school graduation date, commuting from parent’s home, veteran, or married) or are no longer planning on attending UW-Whitewater. Cancellations ATFER May 1st, 2017 are only accepted if a student is no longer planning on attending UW-Whitewater.
9. WHAT IF I LIVE OFF CAMPUS CURRENTLY, HOW DO I APPLY FOR STARIN HALL OR THE APARTMENTS?
Off campus students can apply to live on campus in Starin Hall or in the Apartments. Off campus students will have to complete a Deposit Payment page just like current residence hall students. In addition, these students will be expected to pay the $125 housing deposit (prior to the room selection period). Current off campus students granted a suite or apartment will be advised as to how they make the deposit payment.
10. CAN SUITES/APARTMENTS BE A COMBINATION OF CURRENT RESIDENCE HALL STUDENTS AND OFF CAMPUS STUDENTS RETURNING TO THE HALLS?
Yes, however it still requires that the completed Universal Applications and Deposit Payment page turned in prior to students turning in a Universal Application as a group.
11. CAN GROUPS OF LESS THAN 4 STUDENTS SUBMIT APPLICATIONS FOR STARIN HALL OR THE APARTMENTS?
Yes, however preference will first be given to full suite or apartment applications (4 submitted deposit payment pages along with an application).
12. WHEN DO I NEED TO PAY THE $125 DEPOSIT?
If the student is currently residing in the residence halls, they do NOT need to submit another deposit. The deposit associated with the current academic year will carry over to the new year contract. Students returning to campus from off campus may or may not still have a deposit on file with our office. If the student does have a deposit on file, the student would not be required to pay another deposit. If the student does not have a deposit on file, University Housing will notify the student as to how and when the deposit would need to be paid.
13. IS THE $125 DEPOSIT REFUNDABLE?
Students should read sections #12 and # 13 of the housing contract carefully and understand the difference between a contract release and an exemption request. Contract item #13 refers to the deposit refund and forfeiture. It is important to understand that all cancellations must be submitted in writing directly to University Housing, 200 Goodhue Hall, Whitewater, WI 53190. All cancellations should include the student name, student ID number, student signature, and reason for cancellation. Recently added, students may utilize the Student Portal portion of the University Housing website to submit initial intentions for a refund. Students must still follow all instructions as posted to ensure complete refunds.
14. WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT STARIN HALL OR THE APARTMENTS?
Check out the other links under "Reapplication" on the University Housing website.