Cellular Telephone Services Service Level Agreement
Approved January 2010
This service level agreement describes the services provided by iCIT to support campus users that make use of cellular telecommunication devices including cellular phones and smart phones primarily or exclusively for business purposes.
The campus has two options available for the procurement of cellular devices and services. US Cellular is the provider under standard state contract for cellular devices and services in southeastern and southwestern Wisconsin. Additionally, UW-Whitewater has entered into an agreement with AT&T that allows it to purchase cellular devices and services from AT&T.
All purchases, quotations, change requests and other communications with either vendor must go through Tom Jordan, UW-W Telecom Manager. All use of UW-Whitewater funded cellular telephone devices and services must comply with the State of Wisconsin’s Enterprise Wireless Policy, available at http://www.doa.state.wi.us/docs_view2.asp?docid=7286. Supervisors of employees that have been issued cellular devices are required to keep on file an acknowledgement form that indicates the employee is aware of the state policy. This form is located at http://www.doa.state.wi.us/docs_view2.asp?docid=7287.
There are two levels of cellular telephone service available to UW-W employees based on an individual’s job requirements. Tier 1 service is available through both US Cellular and AT&T. Tier 2 service is available only through AT&T.
Tier 1 – On-campus mobility
This tier is appropriate for campus personnel who perform the majority of their responsibilities on campus, but away from their office, and are required to be in constant contact with other campus personnel, students, subcontractors and other entities that conduct business with the campus. It is expected that these personnel would use cellular telephone devices only during their regularly scheduled work hours. It is also possible for Tier 1 devices to be used by staff who are regularly on call from off campus, but Tier 1 devices are to be used only for University business. No personal use is allowed. Personnel in this tier will be using university funded cellular phones/plans that follow both DOA and UW-W cellular telephone use policies.
Prior to purchase under this tier, the user should consult with Telecom to determine the most cost effective way to meet the need. See “Requesting service” below for information about how to request this consultation.
Tier 2 – Access during work/personal time.
This tier is appropriate for campus personnel who by the nature of their job scope are required to be in contact with other campus personnel, students, and other entities that conduct business with the campus, while on-campus away from their desks and off campus either for business or personal reasons. It is expected that these personnel would use cellular telephone devices any time during work and personal hours. In this tier the device may be used for personal as well as business purposes.
Personnel in this tier will be using cellular telephone services according to DOA and UW-W cellular telephone policies. Users in this tier will not be eligible to use the state negotiated per minute plans and instead use standard plans from a cellular telephone provider with special pricing applied. Employees will purchase devices from personal funds, receive personal billing account statements, and will be responsible for paying the entire bill. The cellular telephone device purchased under this program will remain the user’s personal property and responsibility. The University does not own, maintain, service or repair any equipment under this program. The University’s Telecom Manager will regularly review the bill payment status as well as the employee eligibility for the program based on the job scope and the actual use of cellular telephone services for work-related purposes.
Prior to purchase under this tier, the user should consult with Telecom to determine the most cost effective way to meet the need. See “Requesting service” below for information about how to request this consultation.iCIT provides the following services related to acquisition and management of cellular telephone telecommunications under either tier:
- Consultation with users to determine needs and to select appropriate plans and devices.
- Equipment, plan and accessory ordering, receipt and recordkeeping, and coordination of repair or replacement for damaged or lost equipment.
- Coordination with AT&T on billing issues, account changes, and other vendor relations issues.
Roles and responsibilitiesCustomer roles and responsibilities in using cellular telephone telecommunications services:
- Read, understand and comply with the State of Wisconsin Wireless Handheld Voice and Data Services and Equipment Policy at http://www.doa.state.wi.us/docs_view2.asp?docid=7286.
- Submit signed copy of Acknowledgement Form. (and Personal Wireless Agreement Form) if requesting Tier 2 service) to Tom Jordan, Telecom Manager by campus mail at Room 2008A Andersen Library or by email at email@example.com.
- Perform initial device activation per vendor’s instructions.
- Work with iCIT and/or vendor for support on device or service problems or issues.
- Monitor billing statements for correctness and raise issues to telecom manager as needed.
- Ensure that bills are paid on time.
- Inform telecom manager if plan or feature changes are needed or if a device is lost or changes ownership.
- Consult with customers to determine appropriate plans and devices to meet customer needs while complying with University and State guidelines and policies.
- Place orders for equipment, plans and accessories. Receive and keep records on equipment and plans ordered. Process requests for repair or replacement of damaged or lost equipment.
- Monitor overall University spending on cellular telephone telecommunications and alert budget managers to serious issues.
- Coordinate with AT&T and State of Wisconsin to ensure that product offerings serve campus needs and to ensure that rates and charges are consistent with contract specifications.
Service ScopeIn Scope Services
- Consultation and ordering of cellular devices and services from approved vendors
- Plan modification and cancellation as requested by customer
- Assistance with billing questions or problems
- Assistance in setting up device, if purchased through iCIT
- Limited assistance in connecting devices to campus infrastructure such as email
- Direct assistance in configuring or using the device or service if not purchased through iCIT
- Initial activation of the device or service (this will be performed by the customer)
- Troubleshooting technical, service or coverage problems with device’s connectivity to vendor network or to resources outside of UW-W control.
To request a consultation or to request changes to existing service, contact the iCIT Help Desk at 262-472-4357 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hours of coverage and support
Cellular telephone telecommunication requests are processed during the normal campus business hours of 7:45am to 4:30pm. Consultation can be conducted via phone or email, or by appointment with Tom Jordan, Telecom Manager.
Since cellular service is provided by the vendor and features may vary based on plans or equipment purchased, iCIT cannot provide support for the device itself or the device’s connectivity on the cellular network. iCIT provides basic information necessary to connect smart phones to the campus email system at:
Specific questions about how to operate the cellular telephone device or make use of particular features not related to accessing UW-W’s email system should be directed to the vendor.
Fees and expenses
The campus cellular contracts provide substantially reduced rates for cellular telephone services. Costs and discounts vary based on the tier of service and the device, plan and features selected. To determine cost for a particular service, follow the process in “Requesting service” above.
iCIT does not charge a processing fee or surcharge on the purchase of any cellular telephone telecommunication services.
State of Wisconsin Enterprise Wireless Handheld Voice and Data Services Policy http://www.doa.state.wi.us/docs_view2.asp?docid=7286
UW Whitewater Telecommunications http://www.uww.edu/icit/services/emailcomm/tele/index.html