Software Acquisition & Installation Service Level Agreement
This is a Service Level Agreement (“SLA”) between the campus community and iCIT to document:
- Procedures and requirements for software acquisition and installation
- Procedures for support during a software installation
iCIT provides a standard suite of software, including the Microsoft Office suite, on all new university-owned computers, that is licensed by UW-W. iCIT will assist departments in the purchase of additional software, and provide services to install the software in offices, classrooms or labs.
Software installation is provided by iCIT through ZENworks for campus Windows workstations for academic and administrative use. As software applications are purchased and as updated versions of currently supported software are released, installers are updated or added to the Zenworks Application Window. UW-W faculty and staff can access the installers via the campus network for self-service installation or may contact iCIT to request the installation. Installers are customized to provide for consistent installation and to incorporate any required licensing information.
For the Macintosh environment, iCIT will install software on request. Network installers will be available in the near future for MS Office and generally available software.
Certain software may also have a home-use or work-at-home (WAH) licensing agreement, enabling university staff and faculty to install on personal home computers.
Roles & Responsibilities
iCIT will purchase, install and track licenses for university software purchases.
- Contact the iCIT Helpdesk to request a software purchase.
- Provide account code for purchase and identify staff, lab or classroom that will be using the licensed software.ollowing all university policies and requirements for evaluation question formation.
- Provide consultation about software licensing.
- Maintain media and track licenses for department purchases of software.
- Maintain iCIT web site information for the university software catalog: http://www.uww.edu/icit/services/software/index.html
University-owned computers will be imaged with a standard suite of software applications, including the current operating system and Microsoft Office. Additional software may be installed through self-service or by a request to the iCIT Helpdesk. iCIT maintains software media and license installation codes, but does not distribute this information to departments.
- Request software installation from the iCIT Helpdesk
- For self-service installation, run the installer from the ZENworks Application Window
- Purchase or show proof of purchase for departmentally-licensed software
- Notify Helpdesk if an installer is not functioning as expected.
- Set up new computers with a standard software suite
- Create & maintain software installers for licensed software
- Maintain iCIT Supported Software Webpage
- Provide consultation for software installation options
- Support users in usage of iCIT-developed installers
- Limit installer access to appropriate user base for departmentally-licensed software
Service During an Installation
Support during an installation will be provided by the Helpdesk. Call 472-4357 or email firstname.lastname@example.org during normal business hours.
In Scope Services
- Installing software on university-owned computers
- Creation of installers for academic and administrative software on University supported Windows® operating systems
- Updating existing installers to currently supported versions
- Decommissioning installers as software versions become unsupported and obsolete
- Limiting installer access to licensed users
Out of Scope Services
- Creation of installers for personal use software
- Creation of installers for unsupported software
- Installation of software on non-University owned hardware
- Installation of software on unsupported operating systems
- Installation of software on non-imaged campus workstations
Hours of Coverage and Escalation Procedures
The Helpdesk is the initial contact for all service related requests.
Phone Number: 472-HELP (472-4357) or email@example.com
The hours during academic sessions are:
Monday-Thursday: 8 AM - 9 PM
Fridays: 8 AM - 4:30 PM
(Check helpdesk.uww.edu for summer and extended hours.)
Service will be prioritized on the following scale.
|Impact Level||Explanation||Examples||Initial Response Time|
Impact Level 1
ZENworks becomes unavailable
An initial contact will be made within 30 minutes.
Impact Level 2
Groups are affected
An installer is not functioning correctly.
During business hours, the Helpdesk will attempt to assist over the phone. If problem is not solved, an initial response will be made within four hours. A software installation may be delayed.
Impact Level 3
Individuals are affected
An individual is unable to run an installer.
Helpdesk will attempt to assist over the phone. Response will be within two days.
Individuals need information on how to install/acquire software
An individual does not know how to install a software application.
Helpdesk will respond within one business week.
Impact Level 2 and 3 service requests will be handled during normal business hours. If a department/division does not receive a contact within the specified time for their Impact Level, an email should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fees and Expenses
The creation and maintenance of software installers has no cost to the user; however, software licensing/purchasing fees may apply.