UW-Whitewater Maps Service Level Agreement
This is a Service Level Agreement (“SLA”) between the campus community and iCIT to document:
- Procedures and requirements for requesting custom maps
- Procedures for support of the UW-Whitewater Maps web application
- Procedures and requirements for updating existing custom maps
UW-Whitewater Maps is an emerging technology used to interactively display campus specific map data as an addition to the existing image based map and the printable version available at http://www.uww.edu/campus. UW-Whitewater Maps is a web application that leverages the Google Maps API and data collected by iCIT to “mashup” the two data sets into an application that allows users to search and locate buildings, parking lots and a variety of campus services in a graphical and engaging way.
The Google Maps API is a distributable collection of some of the features available at maps.google.com but freely available to individuals, companies and institutions. This allows UW-Whitewater to create unique maps without having to re-invent the underlying technologies.
The two intended purposes of this web application are first to supply internal and external audiences with a better way to obtain map data and important campus information. The second use of this system is to give campus community members the ability to have customized interactive maps created for their special events, reoccurring events, unique custom data sets and other information that can be logically displayed using the Google Maps API.
Roles & Responsibilities
Map Preparation & Creation
iCIT will create and maintain the core components of the map and its functionality. Owners or stewards of mapping data will provide iCIT with this information as it currently stands, be this building information, parking information, services available in certain locations, and many other possible data sets. iCIT will then record and implement the initial data set.
- Provide and maintain the code base of the application to support updates and changes made by Google to the Google Maps API.
- Input and create initial information collected from the owners of mapping data.
Data Owner Responsibilities:
- Submitting initial data to iCIT as requested for insertion into the map. This includes: building and parking information, dining locations, wireless access location and other information about the locations and services offered on campus.
Map Customizations Preparation & Creation
- Submitting a complete and thorough request to iCIT, which should include:
- Names, addresses and full descriptions if their request includes new locations not currently available on the map.
- Concrete directions and examples if the request involves a custom graphic overlay.
- A well defined explanation of the intended customization or custom overlay.
- A contact person who will be responsible for the customization or overlay.
- Review customer submissions.
- Provide consultation for customers who are considering a submission.
- Upon approval of requests, iCIT will prioritize and then build out customizations as per the requirements specified by the customer.
- Upon completion, iCIT will put the map or customization into production and provide the customer with a distinct URL to access the customization or overlay.
The iCIT Web Team will provide support for UW-Whitewater Maps. Requests for changes, updates or additions to the map should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org and include: Detailed information about what needs to be done (i.e. misspelling, marker in the wrong location, information about dining locations needs changed). If added information or corrected information is required it should be included in the request.
- Provide iCIT detailed information about the change or update that needs to be made.
- For changes to existing customizations or custom maps, other than to update information, should include an explanation for the needed change(s).
- Provide support in a timely manner.
- For simple information updates or additions, iCIT will operate on a two business day turn-around. For more complex changes or additions the customer will be notified within two business days as to an expected delivery date.
In Scope Services
- Creation, deployment and support of core map functionality and information
- Managing the UW-Whitewater Maps infrastructure
- Creation, delivery and support of customizations and custom maps
- Consultation services
Out of Scope Services
- Self-Service abilities to update map information
All Service requests shall be made to the iCIT Web Team at email@example.com.