Virtual Private Network (VPN) SERVICE Level Agreement
This is a Service Level Agreement (“SLA”) between the campus community and iCIT to document:
- Procedures and requirements for acquiring and installing virtual private network (VPN) client software
- Service agreements related to the VPN client software
- System requirements for users
A Virtual Private Network (VPN), enables “Remote Access” to resources that are not otherwise available through a web browser. Since the campus’ network infrastructure is protected from internet viruses and worm attacks by a firewall, VPN solution is necessary to gain access to specific campus resources, while maintaining the security of the system for both users and the network. UW-Whitewater enables VPN access using the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Software. A valid campus net-id and password are required to gain access.
Accessing most campus enterprise technology services, such as Email, calendar, the UW-W web site, WINS, and other web-based services does not require the use of the VPN. In most cases, the VPN service would be used by individuals who need administrative access to systems, applications, or client software.
For installation and training instructions for installing and using the AnyConnect VPN Software, AnyConnect VPN Software
Roles & Responsibilities
Acquisition & InstallationVPN Client software is available to faculty, staff and students with a valid campus net-id and password. http://vpn.uww.edu. User Responsibilities:
- Downloading installation AnyConnect VPN software and instructions from the website
- Install the client AnyConnect VPN software on UWW owned equipment (if not already installed)
- Install the client AnyConnect VPN software on Non UWW owned equipment
- Provide the VPN technology infrastructure
- Maintain availability of client software installers
- Maintain published documentation
- Install AnyConnect VPN Software on new laptop computers (part of standard set-up/imaging process)
- Provide troubleshooting support for the installation and use of the client
- Granting access to students on a case by case basis
In Scope Services
- Enabling campus community to acquire the VPN client
- Providing documentation
- Providing client installers for supported operating systems.
- Troubleshooting problems with VPN client installation and operation on supported campus equipment.
- Limited best effort support for installation of the AnyConnect VPN software on Non-University owned equipment
Out of Scope Services
- Supporting OS not in Level 1
- Supporting use of the VPN software to function with unsupported systems and software
- Troubleshooting access through home networking equipment or software which includes but is not limited to Routers, Modems, Hubs, Manufacture's software, ICS, or Wireless technology
- Troubleshooting of home networks.
- In home support for either UWW or Non-UWW owned equipment.
The VPN client software can be downloaded by faculty and staff with a valid net-id and password: http://vpn.uww.edu. Both the client and instructions for use are available for Windows and Macintosh.
Responding to Problems and Incidents
If a user has trouble downloading and installing the VPN client, the user should contact the Helpdesk (472-4357) for support.
|Impact Level||Explanation||Examples||Initial Response Time|
Impact Level 1
Campus wide problem occurs
No temporary or workable alternatives available
VPN service is not functioning
During Business Hours: Immediate response
After Hours: Best Effort
Impact Level 2
Limited amount of users or groups are affected
Alternatives are available
Problems with the website linking to the VPN client
During Business Hours: Four hours
After Hours: Best Effort
Impact Level 3
Individuals are affected
User has problems installing or using the VPN client software on a computer with a supported OS
Response will be within 2 business days
Hours of Coverage and Escalation Procedures
AcquisitionVPN client software can be downloaded by the user onto campus owned or personally computers. Only campus systems with supported operating systems will be supported by iCIT.
The Helpdesk is the initial contact for all service related requests.
Phone Number: 472-HELP (472-4357) or firstname.lastname@example.org
The hours during academic sessions are
Monday-Thursday: 8 AM - 9 PM
Fridays: 8 AM - 4:30 PM
Check the helpdesk website for summer and extended hours.
Impact Level 2 and 3 service requests will be handled during normal business hours.
If a department/division does not receive a contact within the specified time for their Impact Level, an email should be sent to email@example.com.
Fees and Expenses
No costs will be associated with using Remote Access/VPN.