Workstation Computer Support Service Level Agreement
Approved September 2012. View a printable PDF of this SLA
This is a Service Level Agreement ("SLA") between the UW-Whitewater Campus Community and iCIT to define:
- Three levels of support campus computers: fully supported, limited support or unsupported
- Procedures and requirements associated with supported, limited support, and unsupported computers
- NOTE: This SLA does NOT address software installed on the computer. Please see the campus software support SLA for additional information.
Service Category Descriptions
In Warranty Supported
ICIT will fully support all campus computers, purchased through ICIT and utilizing the current ICIT image, for the full length of the manufacture warranty at no charge to the customer. Typically:
- PC's covered by a standard 3 or 5 year warranty
- Macs covered by a standard 3 year warranty
ll supported hardware must be installed by iCIT. Additionally, all supported computers must be running an official campus image.
Full support by iCIT includes all repairs, installs, and answering questions related to the equipment use, and is provided by ICIT through the Technology Support Center.
Please visit http://www.uww.edu/icit/services/tdc/specs.html to view a list of current PC and Apple computers that are considered the standard for UW-Whitewater
Out of Warranty Supported
PCs up to 6 years of age and Macs up to 4 years of age fall into this category. ICIT will continue to repair and install the hardware on such computers free of charge; however, the customer will be responsible for any hardware costs. The availability of hardware for computers in this category is dependent on the vendor, and may impact the ability of iCIT to complete necessary repairs. Specifically:
- Mac hardware replacements in this category are limited to hard drives, memory, and user replaceable batteries as well as video cards on Mac Pro towers only.
In order for computers to be classified in this category, it must be capable of running the standard campus image.
Computers in this category are not purchased or not imaged by ICIT. This category of support is appropriate for rare instances when computer is a part of a 3rd party system configuration, grant, collaboration project or scientific research. Consultation with iCIT is required.
ICIT will diagnose hardware issues, facilitate warranty repairs and act as a liaison with the manufacturer if applicable. ICIT will coordinate out of warranty repairs on these computers and attempt to repair such computers. Customer will be responsible for all costs associated with repairing these computers. If hardware parts for these computers are no longer available from the manufacturers, ICIT may offer to temporarily replace such computers with surplus equipment provided that Total Desktop Care (TDC) has suitable surplus equipment available for replacement.
Computers in this category will typically be determined on a case by case basis. Work done on such computers is not guaranteed by iCIT.
Computers classified in this category will only be (re)imaged with the users accepting all responsibility and acknowledges that the computer may cease to function, in which case ICIT assumes no responsibility for it. It will be the users’ responsibility to replace the computer if (re)imaging is unsuccessful; however, ICIT will work with the customer to achieve the best possible and acceptable solution.
A computer falls into this category if it does not meet the criteria of the other two categories. Computers in this category are not eligible for hardware support from ICIT. ICIT will attempt to answer general questions and assist with general troubleshooting related to network/connectivity.
If a hardware failure should occur, iCIT will attempt to back up the user's data but will not repair the computer.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- To install, troubleshoot, repair, (re) image or uninstall supported computers within the timeframe specified in its impact level
- To suggest alternatives for limited support computers
- To provide assistance with installing or troubleshooting limited support computers as previously defined
- To provide warranty parts procurement and installation
- Consult with ICIT prior to equipment purchases
- To acquire computer equipment and peripherals through iCIT
- In the rare instances when equipment is not purchased through iCIT, to provide proof of purchase when requesting the installation of hardware
- To avoid installation or use of unsupported computers.
- To contact the Technology Support Center directly at x4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org for all issues or requests concerning computers
In Scope Services
- To Install supported computers
- To troubleshoot supported computer hardware and (re) image
- To offer alternatives to unsupported computers
- To offer best effort assistance at installing or troubleshooting limited support computers while following external SLAs
Department responsibilities for software funding:
- Offering assistance or installation for unsupported computers
- Troubleshooting limited support computers when other 3rd party support options have been agreed upon
- Supporting non University procured computers
Installation and Support
All supported computers must be installed by iCIT. An appointment can be arranged with iCIT by contacting the Technology Support Center for installation. Unsupported computers will not be set up by the Technology Support Center, nor will iCIT offer any assistance in acquiring or installing unsupported computers.
Incidents will be prioritized on a three level scale as follows...
Initial Response Time
Impact Level 1
Campus-wide impact of critical importance
Network is down. Core Services.
iCIT will respond within 30 minutes.
Impact Level 2
Individual user(s) unable to perform job.
Machine will not boot. No alternative available.
iCIT will respond within four hours.
Impact Level 3
Individuals are affected, but still able to perform job duties.
Individual component failure, e.g. CD ROM will not read disc.
|Technology Support Center will repond within two business days.|
Hours of Coverage and Escalation Procedures
The Technology Support Center is the initial contact for all service related requests.
Phone Number: 472-HELP (472-4357) or
The hours during academic sessions are
Monday-Thursday: 8 AM - 9 PM
Fridays: 8 AM - 4:30 PM
Check the TSC website for summer and extended hours.http://www.uww.edu/icit/helpdesk/
Impact Level 2 and 3 service requests will be handled during normal business hours.
If a department/division does not receive a contact within the specified time for their Impact Level, an email should be sent to email@example.com
Fees and Expenses
Repair costs when necessary will be billed by iCIT to supplied valid Organizational code.