Internet Browser Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I self-install Internet Explorer 8?
- What if I encounter compatibility problems with my browser?
- How do I determine which browser version I am using?
- How to I determine if the browser version I am using is approved?
How do I self-install Internet Explorer 8?
The Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) Web browser is available for installation on campus Windows desktop and laptop computers. Individuals may choose to self-install IE8 now, and begin using the new interface and features. iCIT has tested IE8 and confirmed that it is compatible with campus enterprise systems, and has made an installer available for campus faculty and staff (instructions below).
This campus browser upgrade applies only to Windows workstations.
To install IE8 on a faculty or staff computer:
1. Go to Start > Run
2. Type nalwin to open the ZENworks Application Window
3. Browse to Install > Microsoft
4. Double-click on Internet Explorer 8
Link to Detailed Instructions: http://www.uww.edu/icit/training/pdf/ie8_upgrade.pdf
What if I encounter compatibility problems with my browser?
If you are experiencing compatibility problems with your browser contact the Helpdesk . Please include the version of the browser you are using, as well as a link to the page or name of the program you are trying to access.
How do I determine which browser version I am using?
- Apple Safari: Click the Safari menu and select About Safari.
- Mozilla Firefox (Mac): Click the Firefox menu and select About Mozilla Firefox.
- Mozilla Firefox (Windows): Click the Help menu and select About Mozilla Firefox.
- Windows Internet Explorer: Click the Help menu and select About Internet Explorer. (If you do not see the Help menu, press the Alt button on the keyboard.)
How to I determine if the browser version I am using is approved?
Compare the version of your browser to the iCIT supported browsers webpage.