What is WebEx?
WebEx is an online web conferencing tool that allows you to meet with colleagues anywhere in the world using your internet connection and web browser. With WebEx, you can host virtual meetings online using audio and video, share presentations and files, chat (IM) with others, and conduct online presentations using screen sharing.
How to Login To WebEx?
WebEx On-Prem (Staff/Faculty/Students) You can log into WebEx On-Prem by going to meet.uww.edu. Login using your Net-ID and password. (Most Common)
WebEx Cloud (Staff/Faculty): You can log into WebEx Cloud by going to uww.webex.com. Login using your Net-ID and password. (For large or Telepresence events)
- Meeting Center: Host virtual meetings containing fewer than 25 people. Share files, chat face-to-face using video, and share your screen to display professional virtualized presentations.
- Event Center (WebEx Cloud Only): Support for up to 3000 participants. Host real-time online events on a large scale. Share files, presentations, and stream live video. Interact with participants using interactive features such as web-polling, Q&A, and chat.
- Training Center (WebEx Cloud Only) : Deliver highly interactive training classes, online, using audio and video conferencing, screen sharing, breakout sessions, and hands-on learning labs. Testing, tracking and grading capabilities are included.
- Support Center (WebEx Cloud Only) : Provide support for up to 5 users per session. Integrated high-quality video allows for real-time video chatting with audio. Allow support personnel to observe and troubleshoot software and system problems remotely. Reboot and reconnect to a user without losing your support session, even while in safe mode. Allow support technicians to take control of your screen to troubleshoot and diagnose problems quickly.
Who Can Access WebEx?
- Faculty, Staff, Students: All UW-Whitewater faculty, staff, and students have the ability to create, host, and join WebEx meetings using WebEx On-Prem.
- Other: Participants, outside of the UW-Whitewater organization, can join a WebEx meeting if they have the WebEx meeting link and meeting password.
Meeting Center: (Most Commonly Used)
On-Prem (20 or fewer attendees)
Cloud (20 or more attendees)
Training Center/Event Center/Support Center:
Live Training (UW-Whitewater Staff and Faculty Only)
The ICIT Technology Training team offers faculty and staff live, hands-on, training sessions related to Cisco WebEx throughout the year.
Hands-on training sessions are not currently available to students.
Please visit the ICIT - Technology Training section in the Signup Tool to view and register for available classes offered by the ICIT Training and Advancement team.
In addition to scheduled training, the ICIT Training team also offers consulting and custom training for departments and individuals on a variety of campus-supported software. If you or your department are interested in scheduling a software consultation or a group training session, please email your request to email@example.com.
Start One-Click Meeting (Meeting Host)
1. Go to uww.webex.com.
2. Sign into WebEx using your Net-ID and password.
3. Select One-Click Meeting located under the "Host a Meeting" header in the left-hand toolbar.
4. Install the WebEx plugin if you have not done so in the past.
5. The WebEx Meeting Center window should now launch.
6. Select your audio conference method - Click the "Call Using Computer" button to use audio through your computer or use a phone to call into the WebEx meeting using the phone number provided.
7. Click the Invite and Remind button to send a meeting invite to others.
JOIN A SCHEDULED WEBEX MEETING (PARTICIPANT)
- Click the Join WebEx Meeting link that appears in the email you received containing the WebEx meeting information.
- If asked, enter your name and email address, then click the Join button.
- If you receive any pop up messages about downloading or installing the WebEx plugin, go ahead and accept and install.
- Once the WebEx meeting interface has launched, click the Call Using Computer button to join the meeting using your computer's microphone and speakers or call into the meeting using a phone.
Once you can hear the meeting host and see the presentation you are successfully joined to the meeting.
Google Chromebooks do not currently support the WebEx web conferencing interface. Please use a Windows PC or Mac to access WebEx.
"SECURE CONNECTION FAILURE" Firefox Error when using Webex On-Prem
There is a known issue with new versions of Firefox (28 and later) and SSL handling which can cause an error message for WebEx on-prem users. After logging into meet.uww.edu, users receive a "Secure Connection Failure" message.
A workaround to this issue is to use an alternate browser, such as Internet Explorer or Google Chrome, or change the Firefox configuration for TLS.
CHANGE FIREFOX CONFIGURATION FOR TLS
- Open a Firefox browser window.
- In the address bar, type about:config, then hit the "Enter" button.
- If prompted to accept a "This might void your warranty" message, click the "I'll be careful, I promise" button.
- Locate the variable "security.tls.version.max", then double-click to change its value. Use the search bar at the top of the page to quickly find the variable.
- Erase the current value (3) and replace with 2. Click the OK button to continue.
- Close all open instances of your Firfox browser to restart Firefox, then open the browser again to test the change.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional help.