UW-W Wireless Connection Instructions
Windows XP – SP2 & 3
These instructions are for connecting to the UW-W trial wireless system via an industry standard 802.1x secure encrypted connection on Windows XP (with Service Pack 2) using PEAP. You only have to go through the initial setup once as long as you use the same wireless network card on your computer.
- If you log into Novell, you must check workstation only when entering your password.
- Move your mouse to the task bar on your computer (lower right hand corner). Place your mouse over the icon for your wireless card and right-click the mouse. If you have properly chosen your wireless card you will see an option to “View Available Wireless Network.” Select that option.
- You should now see a screen similar to the following. Click the “advanced” button.
- You should now see a screen like the one below. Select the "Wireless Networks" tab. Make sure “Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings” is checked. Then press the “Add” button.
- After pressing “Add” you should see a screen similar to the one below.
- For the “Network name (SSID):” type uww-wifi. The SSID is case sensitive so you must use all lowercase letters.
- If you are using Service Pack 3, check the “Connect even if this network is not broadcasting“ checkbox.
- Ensure “Network Authentication” is set to WPA and “Data Encryption” is set to TKIP.
- Ensure “The key is provided for me automatically” is checked.
- When you are done click the “Authentication” tab at the top of the window to move to the next section.
- Make sure “Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network” is checked. The “EAP type” should be set to “Protected EAP (PEAP)” if it is not change it by selecting it from the pull down box. Also, make sure that “Authenticate as computer when computer information is available” and “Authenticate as guest when user or computer information is unavailable” are unchecked. Then hit the “Properties” button.
- On the following screen:
- Uncheck “validate server certificate”
- Ensure that everything else is unchecked except for “Enable Fast Reconnect” located at the bottom of the screen.
- Finally, ensure that the “Select Authentication Method” is set to “Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)”.
- Press the configure button.
- Uncheck the only option on this screen
- Select “OK” on all the screens until they are all closed.
- Your wireless card is now setup to work. Go into a wireless area on campus and your computer should automatically connect to the system.
- NOTE: The remaining steps may need to be done each time you want to connect to the UW-W wireless network.
- When your computer detects the wireless network you will see a message to enter your credentials to use the wireless network. Click on the message and a login box should appear.
- Enter your UW-W campus username and password in the appropriate blanks. You can leave the domain field blank. Then press “OK”
- You should see another message saying you are connected to the wireless network. If not you may have entered your username and password incorrectly so try again.
If at anytime you lose your connection, and you are in the wireless area, please right click on the wireless card icon (such as in step 2). Click “Repair”. The connection should be re-established.