My first year as the director of the Center for Global Education has given me the opportunity to discover just what makes University of Wisconsin-Whitewater so special. The University's leadership - our chancellor, provost, deans, and vice-chancellors - understand the vital importance of global education in an increasingly interconnected world. They are committed to providing every student with the opportunity to gain global competencies; for some students that will mean studying abroad, for others it will mean participating in on-campus diversity programming. The Center is committed to our Chancellor's goals of doubling the number of students we send abroad and tripling the number of international students studying here, to provide for a range of perspectives both in and out of the classroom. International faculty and scholars, too, are valued for the expertise and energy they weave into the fabric of campus.
The Center of Global Education is posed to initiate meaningful dialogue across campus to achieve a shared understanding of what it means to internationalize our university. Together we will seek transformational change that is deep, pervasive, intentional, and long term and that positions our university and graduates to become more global in orientation with respect to our educational programs and international networks. Our strategies will target curriculum design and delivery, program priorities, student learning outcomes, campus life and diversity, and civic engagement, research and scholarship. We will strengthen external partnerships and develop essential new partnership.
Please join in this dialogue so that the Center can assist with the development of an integrative action plan to ensure a successful and sustained commitment to "Comprehensive Internationalization." You'll enable the Center for Global Education to understand how we can best support students, faculty, and departments along this path. I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you!
Candace Chenoweth, Director, Center for Global Education
What is "Global Education"?
- Global Education is the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that students acquire through a variety of experiences that enable them to understand world cutures and events; analyze global systems; appreciate all cultural differences; and apply this knowledge and appreciation to their lives as citizens, professionals, and leaders.
- Global focuses on the systems and phenomena that transcend national borders.
- International focuses on nations and their relationships.
- Intercultural focuses on understanding, appreciating, and navigating cultural differences.
What is "Comprehensive Internationalization"?
- Internationalization is the process of integrating an international, intercultural, or global dimension into the purpose, functions, or delivery of postsecondary ecducation.
- Comprehensive Internationalization refers to the process by which institutions foster global learning through ongoing and intentional processes.