Steps to Study Abroad at UW-Whitewater
- All students attend an information session. Students learn about different program opportunities, credit, funding and the application process.
- After researching programs, students meet with a study abroad advisor. Advisors help students decide on a program, review funding and scholarships, look at courses and credit, and start the student on the application process. The student's academic advisor helps students choose their classes. A financial aid officer helps students with funding opportunities.
- Students turn in the UW Whitewater application by October 15 or March 15 (some programs have an earlier date).
- The Study Abroad Fee is: $200. The UW System Contingency Fee is: $75. Both of these are billed to your student's account during their term abroad.
- Applications are reviewed and sent to host institutions, when required. Once students are accepted into the program abroad, they are notified of their acceptance status.
- Once accepted, students attend a mandatory study abroad orientation where the following topics are discussed: academics and enrollment abroad, health and medical matters, cultural adjustment, travel safety, money issues, travel preparations and current political situations.
- Accepted students are automatically enrolled in a Holding Course. Either STDYABRD 491 (15 credits) for exchanges or STDYABRD 495 (0 credits) for non UWW programs. This keeps them enrolled full-time at UWW and enables them to register, use email and receive financial aid, if eligible. Students must get any course changes approved by their academic advisor if they need to switch courses while they're abroad.
- Students on UW Whitewater Faculty-Led programs are often charged program costs in installments during the semester(s) prior to the trip. Many times, the money is used to reserve housing, transportation, etc., and must be collected prior to the program start-date. Students going on other programs sponsored by UW-W are billed by the Center for Global Education accordingly at the normal time tuition is billed at the beginning of the semester or summer. Most students will pay their housing and other related costs overseas. Students on direct enrollment programs are billed by the host or sponsoring institution.
- All students going abroad through UW Whitewater are required by the state of WI to purchase the CISI international insurance. CISI insurance costs $37 a month and will be chared to the students UW-Whitewater account.
- When students arrive at the study abroad site, they notify parents and the study abroad office immediately. Students remain in contact with the Center for Global Education during their term abroad.
- Upon return, students are expected to check in with the Center for Global Education to report on their experience abroad and fill out a program evaluation.
- Students will be notified by e-mail when their transcript arrives.
STUDY ABROAD DEADLINES
UW-W Application Deadline – Oct 15th for Spring study or March 15th for Summer and Fall study.
If you are ready to start your journey abroad, make sure to look at the UW-W Steps to Study Abroad.