Study Abroad Resources for Student Athletes
Student athletes can, and do, study abroad!
Talk with your coach
- Give your coach plenty of notice that you are planning to study abroad
- Explain to your coach why studying abroad is a priority for your college education - coaches are likely to be supportive of your decision (you're a student athlete, after all!)
- Discuss ways to stay active while abroad
Student athletes may want to choose a study abroad program that does not conflict with their sports season. Here are some ideas to consider:
While You're Abroad
- Stay active
- Cross-train by renting a bike or running
- Join a gym
- Join a club or intramural team at the abroad university
- Find others in the same boat, it's always easier to stay active if you have someone to work out with
- Learn to play a new sport/game and make it cultural!
- Stay connected to your team
- Skype with your teammates
- Create a blog that your teammates can follow and stay updated with your adventures
- Enjoy being a spectator - become a fan of local sports teams!