The Center for Global Education's
1st Annual International Photo Contest
The contest theme is: Culture: People, Places and Reflections.
The purpose of this contest is to highlight and promote student global experiences to the university community. Whether it's American students studying abroad or international students studying here at Whitewater, this is a venue for students to express creativity in interpreting culture.
- Entrants must be current UW-W students or recent graduates.
- Entrants must have (a) participated in a UW-W global experiences program during the 2012-13 academic year (September 2012-August 2013) or (b) have been an international student studying at UW-W during the 2012-13 academic year (September 2012-August 2013).
Entry Rules and Guidelines:
- Each student may submit up to three original photographs in total: one photo for each of the three categories:
- PEOPLE: Photos depicting individuals or groups of people.
- PLACES: Photos highlighting physical locations, which could include natural landscapes, urban environments, iconic sites, etc.
- REFLECTIONS: Photos representing something that caused you to reflect on your international experience or provided you with insight into your host country, home country or the world. (The caption is especially key with this one!) Feel free to think outside the box and be creative!
- You will be asked to include the following with each electronic submission:
- Caption: A short statement on how your photo ties into the culture you're highlighting. (International student submissions should focus on the USA, Wisconsin, Whitewater or another sub culture within the USA)
- Submissions must be digital and of high quality resolution. The resolution will be a factor in judging. Photos must be 5 megabytes or smaller and must be in JPEG or JPG format and 300 dpi or higher.
- All photos submitted must have been taken by the entrant submitting the photo.
- Photos must have been taken sometime during the 2012/2013 academic year (summer and winterim included)
- To preserve the integrity of the photo contest, drastic digital alterations to the appearance of the original photo (e.g. adding, removing, or moving aspects of the photo, drastic color changes, filters, etc.) are not acceptable. Entrants are welcome to make digital enhancements to their photos (e.g. cropping, color balance, brightness/contrast, red eye elimination, grayscale, etc.). If you are unsure whether an adjustment is acceptable or not, please check with the Center for Global Education (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Apply online by clicking "Apply now" at the top of this page.
- The deadline for all submissions is Friday October 18th 2013. The online application portal will close at midnight on the 18th.
- Student photographers will be notified about the awards by Friday November 1st
- Dr. Andre Ferrella - UW-W art/photography professor
- Craig Schreiner - UW-W Marketing and Media photographer
- Staff at the Center for Global Education
Awards: UW-W recognition of your fine work
- 9 photos from each of the three categories will be printed, framed and displayed at the UC Fiskum Gallery January 21st - 31st 2014. A reception will be held on Wednesday January 22nd from 4:00pm - 5:30pm (The CGE retains printed photos and frames)
- A rotating digital gallery of the winners will be displayed at the International Week opening ceremony
- Any photos submitted may be used for promotional purposes by the Center for Global Education
- A first place "Peoples' Choice" award will be given at the end of the reception to the winner in each of the three categories - Award is $25.00 gift card at the University Bookstore.
Terms and Conditions of Photo Release:
Submission of photos to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater International Photo contest constitutes the entrant's agreement to the following:
- Having read, understood, and accepted the rules and Guidelines of the UW-W photo contest.
- By submitting photos to the Photo Contest, entrants grant the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater non-exclusive license to use your photo and accompanying entry information, including name and program information, for promotional purposes.
- To release for him/herself, his/her heirs, executors and administrators, the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater, its officers, agents, employees, and from any obligation or liability, and from any and all claims for libel, slander, invasion of the right of privacy or any claim based on the use or exhibition of said material.