When leaving the campus as part of a University sanctioned and/or sponsored event, participants are expected to abide by the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater’s code of conduct. See the Student Handbook for details regarding what is expected of all members of the UW-Whitewater community.
Your group may choose to create its own agreement or use one provided by your national organization (if available). There are also many samples of Behavior Contracts available on the Internet. Some example statements are found below. Before asking participants to sign any contract, please consider having it reviewed by the Office of Risk Management, Hyer Hall 332.
At minimum, your agreement should cover the following issues:
- Alcohol Consumption
- Room Sharing
- Representation of UW-Whitewater
- Use of Illegal Substances
- Violating federal, state and/or local laws
- Treatment of peers and trip leaders
- Conduct and consequences for misconduct
- Participant responsibility for costs associated with trip and being removed from trip
- Expectations of communication / connection with the trip leader
(adapted from UW-Whitewater Stagg Bowl Trip Agreement)
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
Trip Agreement of Expectations
(Insert Trip Name and Location Here)
(Insert Date Here)
- I will treat all those on trip with respect and dignity. I will be sensitive to the tight quarters and behave accordingly.
- I will at all times conduct myself in a positive, responsible manner.
- I understand that all meals and event tickets are my responsibility.
- I understand that I am not to leave the group without notifying the University Representative present. I also understand that it is my responsibility to check in with the University Representative on the bus each time the bus leaves any location. Failure to do so frees the University from any liability in providing my transportation to or from (Insert Trip Destination Here).
- I understand that it is my responsibility to be on the bus at the scheduled and/or announced departure times. If I am late or detained for any reason at any point of the trip, I understand that the bus will continue on its scheduled route without me and that arrangements and costs for my transportation home will be my own responsibility.
- I will not use any illegal substance during the duration of the trip and understand that the consumption of alcohol is prohibited.
- No alcohol or smoking is allowed on the bus.
- Only sealed beverages will be allowed on the bus at the time of initial loading. Any bottle or can open will not be allowed on the bus and will be thrown away. My personal belongings will be subject to search.
- I further understand that violating local, State, or Federal law is done at my own risk and therefore free the trip sponsors from any liability or responsibility.
- I understand that the University Representative will make decisions that are good for the entire group and will respect their decisions and follow their instructions.
- In case of emergency, the University Representative should contact the following person (not travelling on the trip):
Relationship to Traveler:
I have read and executed this document with full knowledge of its significance and acknowledge that I may be asked to leave the trip at anytime at my own cost.
(adapted from Texas A&M University)
The purpose of (name of organization) is (purpose/mission of organization, as outlined in group’s constitution). It is in this spirit that we make this behavior agreement for this trip.
Date(s) of Event:
As a member of (name of organization) and a student of the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater, you have made the commitment to be a positive representative and a role model of this organization and the University. Thus, it is imperative we hold ourselves and our members to a high standard.
Each member is expected to act responsibly the entire time they are travelling to/from and when in (location to be provided). It is expected that students will abide by university policies, the rules of conduct (found at http://www.uww.edu/handbook/student), and all instructions presented by your organization leaders, whether written or verbal. All members are expected to abide by federal, state and local laws. Any “rough housing” or careless behavior will not be tolerated. Always keep safety as a priority, as well as a sensitivity to how your behavior represents (name of organization) and the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater as a whole.
I understand that as an attendee of this trip, I am representing the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater. I will abide by all ground rules covered by my student organization leaders and all UW-Whitewater policies. I also understand that misconduct while representing the University may result in the college taking judicial action (by school authority standards). I agree to display decency, appropriateness, and acceptable conduct, and understand that if I violate this behavioral expectation, I may be sent home at my own expense.
I have carefully read and understand completely and clearly the provisions stated above and agree to be bound thereby.
(adapted from Southern Oregon University)
Release and Assumption of Risks Agreement
I, ___________________________, understand that my participation in (insert name of trip here) is subject to all of the following conditions, promises, agreements, and understandings. By signing this Release and Assumption of Risk Agreement, I understand that I am (1) agreeing to all of the following conditions and agreements; (2) making the stated promises; and (3) have the following understandings.
- I am solely responsible and liable for (1) obtaining all personal documentation appropriate for this trip including but not limited to, international passports and other forms of government issued identification; (2) paying all costs and expenses related to my participation in the program; (3) while the program will arrange accommodations and transportation from UW-Whitewater to (insert location here), I am responsible for my punctuality and personal belongings while traveling and (4) that the program is not responsible for the products or services provided by the host organization or the proper performance or presentation of their duties, obligations, products or services. ___________________ (please initial)
- I acknowledge that I have been advised regarding the UW-Whitewater Student Conduct Code and agree to abide by that code while participating in the program/trip. Further, I agree and pledge that I will comply with all regulations and directions given me by staff members while participating in the program, including University officials, volunteers and employees of the host organizations, and all other officials acting within their official capacities. I agree that I will comply with all applicable laws of the jurisdictions in which I travel and will not engage in any conduct or behavior that causes potential harm to myself or others, or is disruptive to the trip, the sponsoring organization, the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater, or the organization hosting our stay. ___________________ (please initial)
- In consideration of approval for my personal attendance at the above-mentioned activity, I, for myself, my heirs, executors, administrators, and assigns, do waive, release, and discharge any and all rights, demands, or claims for damage and cause of suit or action known or unknown, that I may have against the State of Wisconsin, the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater, the sponsoring organization or their employees or agents for any or all injuries in any manner resulting from the above referenced class. I hereby authorize the event manager or their designee to request medical assistance as they find necessary and further attest and verify that I have full knowledge of all risks involved in this activity and that I will assume and pay my own medical and emergency expenses in the event of accident or illness regardless of whether I’ve authorized such payments. ___________________ (please initial)
- I understand and agree that the sponsoring organization and the University of Wisconsin – Whitewater shall have the right to enforce appropriate standards of conduct, and that they may at any time terminate my participation in the program/trip for failure to maintain these standards OR for any actions or conduct which UW-W or the sponsoring organization considers to be incompatible with the interests, harmony, comfort, and/or welfare of the program and other participants. This standard includes remaining abstinent from alcohol and illicit drugs for the duration of the trip. If my participation is terminated, I understand that I will be sent back to Whitewater, WI at my own expense and with NO refund of any fees or costs.
___________ (please initial)
- I AGREE, REPRESENT, and CONSENT that in the event of any medical emergency I ________ do / ________ do not (initial one) authorize and consent to any x-ray examination, anesthetic, medical, dental, or surgical diagnosis, treatment or hospital care that UW-W and/or its agents (including the organization advisor, program director, participating officials, or agents) deem necessary for my safety, health, or protection, and I FULLY RELEASE each of them from any liability for such decisions or actions taken in this regard. This consent includes, without limitation, an authorization to place me in a hospital for medical services or treatment or in the care of a local medical doctor. I certify that to my knowledge I have no medical conditions that would adversely affect my participation in the program. ___________________ (please initial)
- I understand that the sponsoring organization and/or UW-Whitewater reserves the right to make changes in cases of emergency or changed conditions or in the interest of the group. Any refunds necessarily prompted by any such actions will be determined in each individual case at the sole discretion of the sponsoring organization. ___________________ (please initial)
I have read this Release and Assumption of Risks Agreement respecting the (insert Trip Name) and understand and appreciate the risks I am assuming and voluntarily sign this Agreement to evidence my agreement to its terms and conditions.