Warhawk Involvement Center


Connection Center Hours

Mon-Thurs: 10am-6pm
Fri: 12pm-4pm
or by appointment

Connection Center Location

Univesity Center, Room 146

Use of University Vehicles

General Information on Student and Volunteer Drivers

Coverage for use of University-owned vehicles is restricted to our State Self-Funded Liability Program that any student or volunteer driver must have a Driver Authorization Form on file in the Transportation Office, prior to using a University vehicle. It is critical that those making the determination on the need to drive, remember that driving a state vehicle is not a right but a privilege. Vehicle use entails a wide variety of related issues which affect the liability, property and workers' compensation experience of the university.

Driver Authorization Form

  1. The UW-Whitewater driver authorization form must be completed and must be signed by the student's/volunteer's supervisor making the request.
  2. The driver authorization form should be sent at least seven (7) working days prior to departure to:
    • Risk Management and Safety, Hyer 330
  3. Applicants with non-Wisconsin drivers licenses must also submit a current driving record from their home state.
  4. The applicant's driving record will be checked and compared to the driving requirements established by UW-Whitewater, UW-System and the State of Wisconsin.
  5. If the applicant is denied driver authorization, the applicant's supervisor can appeal the denial by writing the Director of Risk Management and Safety with information as to why it is critical to the mission of the Department that the applicant drive.


Student Driver

All University of Wisconsin students, including student employees.

Volunteer Driver

An individual other than a student or employee who is officially registered as a University Volunteer in the Office of Risk Management and Safety. (If, for example, an alumni or someone else not linked to the University wished to help or participate in a given event, an agent authorization form can be filled out and filed with the Office of Risk Management and Safety. Once approved, the volunteer then becomes an agent for the University and is covered for liability only.

Examples of Appropriate and Inappropriate Use of State Vehicles

Some examples of approved usage of a University owned or leased vehicle are:

  • Field trips that are for educational purposes, and have on-site supervision by a UW-Whitewater employee.
  • Education programs that require training to be taken outside of the Whitewater area and are course-required. THIS WOULD NOT include students who are required to train at some other site all day - i.e. student teaching, internships and coops.
  • Business errands for a department.
  • Conference, meeting, events which are University-related.
  • Research under the direct supervision of a principal investigator or instructor, (Note exceptions listed below under "Inappropriate Use")
  • Volunteer programs that are under the direct supervision of the University, a substantial benefit to the University, and where an agent agreement has been approved by Risk Management.
  • Student organization trips when the purpose fits the mission of the University.

Some examples of inappropriate use of a state owned or leased vehicle are:

  • Individual research projects or course work primarily for the personal benefit of a student in working toward an undergraduate or advanced degree.
  • Field trips that do not have on-site supervision.
  • Fraternity or Sorority business trips.
  • Student organization trips that are not related to the mission of the University.

University Vehicle Use Approval Form for Students and Volunteers

This form must be completed prior to students and volunteers being allowed to drive a state vehicle. All drivers must be driver authorized before they can drive a university vehicle. Students employed by the University and driving for their employer (department, college, division, etc.) are not required to complete this form. However, they still need to be driver authorized.

University Vehicle Use Guidelines

  1. University vehicles are to be used only for official student organization business.
  2. Only properly authorized drivers may operate vehicles. Students not authorized to drive a State vehicle may not operate the vehicle at any time.
  3. All University vehicles should be kept locked when unattended.
  4. No hitchhikers shall be given rides in University vehicles.
  5. All passengers must be University employees, currently enrolled students, or volunteers.
  6. No University vehicles may be used to tow or start stalled private cars.
  7. A full report must be made of all accidents involving University vehicles. Accidents involving bodily injury or damage in excess of $200.00 must be reported immediately by phone to your advisor.
  8. No excess materials may be displayed on or attached to the vehicle except the official University emblem and vehicle number.
  9. All state laws shall be observed in the operation of University vehicles.
  10. Students or student organizations that misuse University vehicles will be denied the use of vehicles in the future for a length of time to be determined by University Adminstration.