« Back to catalog home

Admission Information


Students can apply for admission as new freshman applicants as early as September 15 of their senior year. Applicants should use the online application, available at http://www.apply.wisconsin.edu. Completed applications must include the application, the application fee, official copies of a high school transcript, and (preferably) an ACT or SAT I exam score to receive consideration.

HIGH SCHOOL REQUIREMENTS: UW-Whitewater enforces the following unit requirements for all new freshman applicants on behalf of the UW System Board of Regents:



Natural Science

Social Studies


4 units

3 units

3 units

3 units

4 units

which may include one unit of communication

including algebra, geometry, and advanced algebra, algebra II or their equivalents

preferably biology, chemistry, and physics

from any of the required areas or from the fine arts, computer science, foreign language, accounting or other academic areas approved by UW-Whitewater

UW-Whitewater completes a comprehensive application review for all students. A student’s prior academic preparation is the most important factor used in the decision, but a review of standardized exam scores, high school GPA, history of academic rigor, student activities and/or volunteerism, the personal statement on the application, letters of recommendation, and anything else a student provides as part of the application is seriously considered. It is our goal to discover whether we believe the student can be successful in the collegiate environment. Our process affords the admissions office the opportunity to learn as much as they can about a person before making a decision. We encourage students to tell us as much about themselves as possible

ACT REQUIREMENT: The ACT is required for all incoming freshmen prior to enrollment at UW-Whitewater. The exam is administered at a number of different times and locations. It is recommended that students take the exam during their junior year or early in their senior year. Applicants must request ACT to forward scores to UW-Whitewater. If the ACT requirement is not satisfied by the time of enrollment, registration may be denied and/or classes may be cancelled for that or subsequent terms. Questions regarding the ACT may be directed to the Testing Office ((262) 472-5613). The SAT Test I is also acceptable.

FRESHMAN ORIENTATION, REGISTRATION, AND ACADEMIC ADVISING: Incoming freshmen attend one of several summer registration/orientation programs. At that time, students meet with an advisor (usually the department chair of their major) for assistance in selecting courses to be taken in their freshman year. Family members and guests are invited and encouraged to attend, as there will be a special program scheduled while students receive advising and register for classes.

Also, there will be additional orientation activities during the first few days of the Fall term. These programs are designed to make the transition to college life as smooth as possible.


Applicants should use the on-line application available at http://www.apply.wisconsin.edu. Instructions with the admissions application will explain the procedure to be followed. An application fee is required for all transfer students, except those who last attended a UW college (two-year campus). In addition to the admissions application and high school records, students must submit official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. Applicants may be accepted on a tentative basis during the last term of enrollment at the sending institution, provided they meet the minimum academic requirements for University admission.

UW-Whitewater requires a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average (4.0 system) to transfer; however, admission requirements may be higher for students planning to enroll in particular academic programs and during periods of enrollment limitation. Students who are enrolled in their first term and who do not meet freshman admissions standards must complete 12 college transferable units to receive transfer admission consideration.

GUARANTEED TRANSFER PROGRAM: Students participating in the UW College/UW-W Guaranteed Transfer Program may begin their university education at a UW College and, upon completion of 60 units, be guaranteed the same opportunity to continue at UW-W as students who began at UW-W. Please note that, upon transferring to UW-W, it is necessary for students to submit another UW System admission application. Students reapplying under this program are not required to resubmit a second high school transcript. UW-College transcripts should be forwarded to the UW-W Office of Admissions at the time of application. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (4.0 system) is required for transfer; however, grade point average requirements may be higher for students planning to enroll in particular programs, notably business, education, social work and communications.

COLLEGE OF EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL STUDIES: In order to enroll in a program leading to teacher certification, a student must be admitted to Professional Education (normally after completion of 40 or more college units). Students who are pursuing teacher education programs will be admitted on a competitive basis of experience with children and diverse groups as well as their cumulative grade point average and Praxis I examination results. The application and information on criteria for admission may be obtained from the College of Education and Professional Studies Information desk, Winther Hall 2033 ((262) 472-1184).

COLLEGE OF BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS: Business majors are eligible to enroll in lower division business courses after they have completed 24 units and possess at least a 2.50 combined grade point average. After a student completes 54 or more units and has satisfactorily completed or is enrolled in ENGLISH 101 and 102, COMM 110, ACCOUNT 244, 249 or ECON 201, 202, MATH 143, ECON 245, and ITBE 280 (COMPSCI 181 and MCS 214 for BBA MCS majors), that student may apply for admission to the upper division (300- and 400-level) business courses. All students with a 2.80 combined GPA or better and who meet the other requirements will be admitted to the upper division. A student whose combined GPA is less than 2.80 may be admitted based on an alternative formula. Application forms for admission to the upper division business courses are available at the Assistant Dean’s Office and are completed during the required advising meetings. Students who have questions concerning admission should contact the assistant dean of the College of Business and Economics at (262) 472-4900.

Transfer credit is not granted for upper-division business courses at UW-W unless the equivalent courses were taken after completing 60 units and were junior or senior level at the previous institution. Before receiving a degree in business, students must earn at least 18 units in their major at UW-W (21 units if majoring in Management Computer Systems).

For transfer students enrolling in the College of Business and Economics or the College of Education, Social Work, or Communications, the grade point average compiled at previous post-secondary institutions is considered for purposes of determining eligibility.

ACADEMIC ADVISING AND COURSE SELECTION: Transfer students are required to attend an orientation session and receive academic advising for registration purposes. Advising is normally handled by personnel from the major department; however, students should consult with their minor department (if applicable) as well. Students admitted under the “special student” classification are not required to attend the orientation program or to seek advising assistance.


GENERAL TRANSFER: UW-Whitewater will accept credit only from regionally accredited colleges and universities. Wherever possible, transfer courses are converted to exact UW-Whitewater course equivalents. Students who receive credit for equivalent courses should be careful not to enroll in courses with the same course number since duplicate credit in courses cannot be awarded.

Although grades earned at other post-secondary institutions will be included on the evaluation of transfer credit and the AR, the UW-Whitewater grade point average is not affected by grades earned elsewhere. Grades earned at other institutions are considered only for purposes of determining eligibility for admission to the University and eligibility for registration in certain majors, such as those in Business, Education, Management Computer Systems, Social Work, and Communications.

For majors requiring higher grade point averages, the combined cumulative GPA of both the transfer college(s) and UW-Whitewater will be used to determine eligibility for course enrollment. Additionally, business students must complete course work in residence at UW-W in at least six courses (18 unit minimum) in their major field. A maximum of two transfer courses will be allowed to count in any major in the BBA curriculum. Regardless of major, a minimum of 25% of the major course units and 25% of the minor course units must be completed at UW-Whitewater.

In order to be equated to a UW-Whitewater course, a course taken at another post-secondary institution must be taken for at least 2/3 of the number of term units for which the course is offered at UW-Whitewater.

Credit may be transferred to UW-Whitewater if the grade earned in the course at the previous institution is recognized as a passing grade (D- or better) and the course parallels work offered at UW-Whitewater. If a course is repeated, credit will only be granted for repeated courses in which grades of C-, or below were received. Students may repeat courses transferred to UW-Whitewater from other post-secondary institutions subject to UW-Whitewater’s repeat policy. Coursework completed at one transfer institution and repeated at a second transfer institution is recognized when calculating the transfer grade point average during the admission process. Please contact the Office of Admissions for further details or reference the Repeat Policy section of this Catalog.

Appropriate units may be transferred from one curriculum to another within the University. Waiver(s) granted by one of the four colleges may not be recognized if the student switches colleges.

Quarter Units: The number of units earned for a course taken on the quarter system must be multiplied by 2/3 in order to convert to the term (semester) system. Thus a course for 3 quarter units would be changed to 2 term units when transferred to UW-Whitewater.

It is possible that some credit in academic areas other than those offered at UW-Whitewater may be accepted upon written appeal to the office of the Associate Director of Admissions. In considering appeals, the Associate Director will consult with the appropriate department chairperson to determine whether the course content is related to the major or minor and whether granting the credit is of demonstrable educational value.

Students who feel that an adjustment in an evaluation is necessary should contact the Admissions Office before proceeding with academic advising and registration. Any adjustment in the unit evaluation must be requested within one year of the date of UW-W enrollment.

TWO-YEAR COLLEGE TRANSFERS: Courses taken at two-year campuses may be equated only to UW-Whitewater 100-level (freshman) or 200-level (sophomore) courses. When a course taken at a two-year college appears to parallel a 300-level (junior) or 400-level (senior) course at UW-Whitewater, the course may be accepted as a general elective.

After accumulating 72 units, students must earn a minimum of 48 additional units at UW-Whitewater and/or other accredited four-year colleges before a degree may be awarded. Upper-division UW-Whitewater students who decide to attend a two-year college after accumulating 72 units toward graduation must obtain prior permission from the dean of their college. After permission is granted from the dean, students must meet with the Associate Director of Admissions to complete a Transfer Credit Agreement (TCA).

Students enrolled in the Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) who wish to continue their education at UW-W may be eligible to transfer credits toward their bachelor’s degree in the following ways:

  1. Students enrolled in the college parallel programs at Madison Area Technical College, Milwaukee Area Technical College, and Nicolet Area Technical College may be eligible to transfer up to 72 credits toward their baccalaureate degree.
  2. Students who have successfully completed coursework in the Wisconsin Technical College System may be eligible to transfer up to 72 credits of general education course work in communications, social science, and science.
  3. Students may be eligible for credit by earning appropriate scores on national standardized examinations (e.g., College Level Examination Program or Advance Placement Examinations) or examinations developed by UW-W. Contact the Testing Office for more information.
  4. Students with a declared business major who attain an Associate of Applied Science degree from the Division of Business and Marketing may be eligible to transfer a maximum of 12 units in business-related coursework.
  5. Other program-to-program articulation agreements have been developed. For a listing of these, visit the UW-Whitewater Transfer Admissions site at: http://www.uww.edu/admissions/transfer/policies/articulation.html.

For more information about these transfer opportunities, students should consult with their Wisconsin Technical College advisors or the UW-W Admissions Office.

TRANSFER INFORMATION SYSTEM (TIS): The Transfer Information System is a source of information for students and advisors with questions regarding transferability of units among UW System institutions and the Wisconsin Technical Colleges. This computer-based system provides information regarding transfer course equivalencies, academic program array, and student services departments. TIS can be accessed at http://tis.uwsa.edu. TIS is very user-friendly with easy to use commands and an extensive tutorial.

UNIVERSITY DEVELOPMENTAL, GENERAL EDUCATION, AND DIVERSITY FULFILLMENT: Transfer students with an Associate of Arts and Science degree from the UW Colleges, or an Associate of Arts/Associate of Science degree from Madison Area Technical College, Milwaukee Area Technical College, Nicolet Area Technical College, or any accredited state community college, who transfer at least 40 acceptable units to UW-Whitewater may be considered to have fulfilled the General Education (Communication & Calculation Skills, Core and General Studies Electives) Requirements. Although the associate degree satisfies all General Education requirements, there may be additional courses still required to meet degree and/or major/minor requirements. In addition to satisfying General Education requirements, the UW-Colleges’ Associate of Arts and Science Degree satisfies the Diversity requirement. Students should remind advisors that they have earned the associate degree to ensure they are not needlessly advised into General Education courses. The final official transcript from the sending institution must indicate that the degree specified has been awarded, or the student will be responsible for fulfilling the remaining General Education Requirements.

If a student transfers into a UW-W degree program which requires math, and the student has not completed the equivalent of UW-W MATH 141 (Intermediate Algebra) or higher, the student will be required to complete a math placement exam unless the ACT math subscore is available.

For applicants who have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited post-secondary institution and are seeking a second bachelor’s degree at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, the first degree satisfies the General Education and Diversity requirements.

All transfer students will be required to complete the following General Education Core Course requirements:

# of Units Transferred

0 - less than 21

21 - less than 40

40+ units
(no AA/AS degree)

Conferred AA/AS degree
from UW-Colleges,
Madison/Milwaukee Area
Technical Colleges, Nicolet
Technical College, or other approved
state community colleges

UW-W Core Course Requirements

All General Education Core Courses

GENED 390 and an additional core
course assigned by Gened Coordinator.
Check AR for required course.

GENED 390 World of Ideas only

General Education and Core Course
requirements satisfied

Students transferring without the associate or bachelor’s degrees described above are required to complete any remaining Communication & Calculation Skills requirements prior to completion of 60 units toward graduation. Transfer students with 60 or more units toward graduation must complete any remaining proficiency requirements within their first UW-W term.

Students who do not receive transfer credit for English 101 or Mathematics 141 will be placed according to ACT or SAT sub-scores or will be required to take the appropriate placement examination.


The application process for students planning to complete their degrees through only online courses differs from admission for traditional students. The following procedures are in place for students interested in online degree completion programs:


SPECIAL STUDENTS WITHOUT CREDENTIALS: Students who wish to enroll for 6 units or less in any term may apply for admission as “special students without credentials.” The application fee is not required, but some record of previous academic work may be required to establish academic eligibility. Prospective students who do not meet admission standards will not be granted admission as special students. Special students without credentials may attend summer school without establishing academic eligibility and may take as many units as are regularly allowed in the Summer term for all students.

Special students without credentials are not considered candidates for a degree and are not required to receive formal academic advising upon enrollment. Advising Reports (ARs) are not available for special students. Special students without credentials are not eligible for financial aid.

SPECIAL STUDENTS WITH FULL CREDENTIALS: Students who have a conferred bachelor’s degree and wish to enroll only for undergraduate work may apply as “special students with full credentials.” An admissions application and an official transcript indicating receipt of the degree must be submitted for review. An admissions application fee is required for students seeking teaching licensure or a second bachelor’s degree and who have not previously attended a UW System campus as matriculated students. Students in this classification must meet the UW-W program grade point average requirement and are considered to have fulfilled Proficiency, General Education, Core, and Diversity requirements. Transfer unit evaluations and Advising Reports (ARs) are not available for these special students. Formal academic advising is not required.


Students returning to the University after an absence of one term or more must file an application for readmission. The application can be obtained on-line at http://www.apply.wisconsin.edu. It is also necessary to furnish transcripts covering college-level work taken elsewhere during their absence from UW-Whitewater. Readmitted students must receive advising before registering and are encouraged to seek other assistance as needed for their unique situation.


Students dismissed for academic reasons at UW-Whitewater will be considered for readmission if their grade point average is improved by means of work taken through UW-Whitewater summer sessions. Students will also be eligible for readmission if they have remained out of college for the time specified under the probation and dismissal policies of the University. Please note that it is necessary to reapply for admission after an absence of one term or more. Students who have been academically dismissed and attend other post-secondary institutions during their absence from UW-W will be evaluated based upon their academic performance (final grades) at the sending institution; this may delay the readmission process to the University and could affect admission eligibility. Students who have been academically dismissed may be required to submit an appeal through academic standards. Instructions for admission after dismissal can be found at: http://www.uww.edu/academicstandards/definitions/reinstate.html.


Adult and returning students follow the same basic admission process as other students. For admission details please contact the Assistant Director of Admissions for Adult, Online and Veteran Admission at 262-472-1440. Students may seek additional resources at: http://www.uww.edu/aso/getstarted.html


The University will consider applications from international students who demonstrate academic potential, are proficient in English, and have adequate financial resources to meet expenses while attending UW-Whitewater.

To assess academic potential, results of nationally administered examinations and the secondary school record will be considered. Please note that secondary education must consist of a college-preparatory program.


The Youth Options Program provides an opportunity for qualified juniors and seniors at Wisconsin public high schools to enroll in courses offered at UW-Whitewater on a space-available basis. To qualify, students must rank in the top 25% of their high school class OR rank in the top 40% and possess an ACT or SAT composite exam score ranking in the top 25% nationally.


To apply, new Youth Options students and those reapplying for the Fall semester should supply the following items:


Students reapplying for Spring semester after completing a fall Youth Options program should supply the following:


Placement tests are given in English, Mathematics, Arithmetic Skills, and Foreign Languages (Spanish, French, and German). The purpose of these tests is to provide the University with information to place students at the correct level within their programs. Placement is compatible with students’ expected level of achievement, based on their test scores, and allows them to be placed with others at the same level of preparation. This usually results in a successful learning experience and a satisfactory final grade. New Freshmen students’ placement is determined by ACT or SAT sub-scores in English and Mathematics. The English and Mathematics placement tests are open to international students and transfer students who do not have ACT or SAT sub-scores. Group Mathematics placement tests are given at the beginning of each semester. Individual testing is available by appointment in the Testing Office.

For more information on group tests, see the UW Center for Placement Testing: http://testing.wisc.edu/center.html

For more information on individual tests, please contact the UW-Whitewater Testing Office.


The University provides opportunities for students to receive advance academic credit and/or advanced standing on the basis of examination. Students who wish to obtain credit by examination should contact the Testing Office (Roseman 2003, (262) 472-5613) for information. Students may also visit http://www.uww.edu/testing/credit_exam/index.html, which lists the examinations approved by the University. A maximum of 60 units by examination is allowed; this includes departmental and nationally administered examinations as well as other credit by examination transferred to UW-W from another institution.

A student with a score of 3 or better on a College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) Advanced Placement Examination will receive credit for a specific course offered at UW-W if the appropriate department has approved the examination. General elective credit will be granted for CEEB Advanced Placement courses even if they do not have direct relationship to specific courses offered at UW-W, provided a score of 3 or better is earned.

The University also recognizes certain tests offered by the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the International Baccalaureate Program (IB). For detailed information, visit http://www.uww.edu/testing/credit_exam/index.html.

If a student is enrolled in a course and desires to take a test for credit, the test must be taken no later than one month after the beginning of classes. Students who have completed credit by examination elsewhere should have official test scores sent to the Testing Office.

Each department at the University is authorized to devise its own test for purposes of granting advance credit for any course offered by the department.

Students may be placed in advanced courses, without receiving advanced units, on the basis of standardized tests, high school performance, or departmental interviews.

Qualified students may attempt to earn retroactive units in foreign language (French, German and Spanish). The procedure in each case is outlined at http://www.uww.edu/testing/credit_exam/index.html.


The University is approved by the State Approval Agency. Veterans may receive a minimum of 4 elective units if they received an honorable discharge after six months or more of service or if they were discharged into the National Guard or Reserves. The discharge certificate (DD214) must be submitted to the Admissions Office to obtain these units.

Credit may be granted for military training and experience if the guide compiled by the American Council on Education so recommends. Students should consult the Admissions Office about this type of credit.


Applicants who are adults and who have been bona fide residents of the State of Wisconsin for one full year prior to the beginning of the term of enrollment, or minor students whose parents have been bona fide residents of the state for 12 months prior to the beginning of the term of enrollment, are exempt from payment of non-resident tuition. Also, applicants who have been continuously employed full-time in this state and were relocated to Wisconsin by their current employer, or applicants who moved to Wisconsin for employment purposes and accepted current employment before applying for admission to UW-Whitewater, may, along with their spouse and dependents, be exempt from the payment of nonresident fees, provided the person making the application demonstrates an intent to establish and maintain a permanent home in Wisconsin.

In addition, persons may qualify as bona fide residents if they meet any of the following criteria:

Intent to become a bona fide resident may be demonstrated or disproved by factors including, but not limited to, filing of Wisconsin income tax returns, eligibility to vote in Wisconsin, motor vehicle registration in Wisconsin, possession of a Wisconsin operator’s license, employment in the state, and self-support.

However, applicants who enter and remain in this state principally to obtain an education are presumed to continue to reside outside this state, and such presumption continues in effect until rebutted by clear and convincing evidence of bona fide residence.


Subject to yearly approval by Minnesota and Wisconsin state governments, this agreement allows Minnesota residents to pay a reduced non-resident fee to attend a Wisconsin university. Arrangements to participate in this program may be made by filing an application with the Minnesota Higher Education Services Office, 1450 Energy Park Dr, Suite 350, St. Paul, Minnesota, 55108-5227 (telephone 651-642-0567 or 1-800-657-3866).


One of the primary functions in this area is to recruit ethnic minority students to the UW-Whitewater campus. As an extension of the overall commitment by the University System to increase the enrollment, retention, and graduation of minority students, recruiters contact high schools, community centers, churches, and individual minority community leaders to acquaint them with higher education opportunities for minorities at UW-Whitewater.

Cultural events and student activities for minorities are available on campus. Programs are geared to foster cross-cultural awareness among all students and faculty on campus. Special efforts are made throughout the academic year to encourage full cooperation between activity-oriented bodies to coordinate functions in such a way that the pluralistic society in which we live is reflected in planned campus activities.

For further information, contact the Multicultural Student Recruiter in the Admissions Office at (262) 472-5180.

Top of Page