« Back to catalog home

Financial Aid


Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the web at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The web page is designed to aid students and parents in completing this application process accurately and allows for faster processing. We encourage the use of this technology as it offers quicker results, easier access to current status, and an estimate for the family contribution.

Continuing students may also file a Renewal Application on the web at the site above. The renewal form allows students to update certain data elements instead of completing an entire application. When completing the renewal process on the web, students must have a PIN number. All students can get a PIN if they do not have one or have lost it at www.pin.ed.gov.

All students and parents have the option of requesting a PIN number, which will serve as an electronic signature. The PIN number will also give the student access to other valuable information at www.nslds.ed.gov. The FAFSA must be completed after January 1 of the new year once the federal income tax returns for the previous year are completed. The FAFSA requires accurate information. Inaccurate information can result in time-consuming corrections; therefore, students and/or parents should complete federal income tax returns as early as possible. Students and parents should always make an extra copy of their federal tax returns in case they are required for verification purposes by the Financial Aid Office.

Submit the FAFSA and all other required documents by the priority date of March 15. Applications submitted after March 15 may be too late for many aid programs. Financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.

Students should provide an up-to-date e-mail address on the FAFSA. This allows the federal processor to communicate with the student when the Student Aid Report is available for viewing online. The SAR reports to the student the information as submitted on the FAFSA. If it contains incorrect information, the student should use his/her PIN number to make the necessary corrections on the web as this reduces processing time. The student may also make corrections on the paper form and mail it to the address indicated on the form. However, this process is lengthier than using the web.

Applications will not be reviewed until all required information/documents are received. The student must be accepted for admission to UW-Whitewater before the application will be considered. It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit all data on a timely basis. The status of the student’s application can be determined by calling the Financial Aid Office at (262) 472-1130 or e-mailing uwwfao@uww.edu. Students can view their financial aid award on WINS.


To apply for Winterim financial aid, students must make an appointment with a financial aid administrator beginning in November. The current academic year FAFSA process must be completed and on file.


To apply for Summer term financial aid, students must complete a Summer Term Application, which is available on the web at http://www.uww.edu/financialaid/. Applications are also available at the Financial Aid Office during the Spring term. In addition, the current academic year FAFSA must be received by the federal processor by June 30.

Undergraduates must enroll for a minimum of 6 credits, and graduates a minimum of 4.5 credits, to be eligible for financial aid. All forms for financial aid must be completed by July 15. Work programs and loans are usually the only aid available. Some students may be eligible for the Pell Grant.


• Financial aid is generally awarded for the academic year. Each applicant is considered for all types of aid available for which he/she is eligible according to state and federal regulations. The student must be enrolled at least half-time for most financial aid programs. Half-time is defined as 6 credits for undergraduates and 4.5 credits for graduates.

• Financial aid packages are generally based on full-time status. Students must inform the Financial Aid Office if they plan to carry less than a full-time credit load, as an adjustment may have to be made in their aid award. Unauthorized receipt of funds will require repayment. Grants and/or loans will be disbursed or directly credited to the student’s account at the beginning of each term. All new students must pay a minimum payment as specified by the University to complete registration.

• The financial aid package may be a combination of grants, loans, and employment. The actual package depends upon factors such as state and federal regulations, availability of funds, and the number of students seeking aid. Grants are awarded first, then loans and/or work study, depending on the preference and eligibility of the student.

• An applicant is ineligible for aid if he/she owes a refund or repayment or is in default on any Title IV grant or loan at any institution.

• Continued eligibility for receiving financial aid is based upon financial need and meeting academic progress requirements.


Financial aid is awarded based on tuition and other educational expenses. Enrollment is captured on the 10th class day of the term, and student financial aid will be revised accordingly. Students awarded financial aid after the 10th day of the term will be awarded based on actual enrollment for the current term and projected enrollment for the Spring term.


Students are required to comply with the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy in order to maintain their eligibility for financial aid. Academic Progress requirements are available at http://www.uww.edu/financialaid/process/progression_policy.html. Failure to meet the requirements will result in loss of eligibility for all major types of financial aid. Students who do not meet the requirements can appeal their Academic Progress status.


A student’s financial aid package is subject to change based upon assistance received from other sources. This includes private scholarships, fee waivers, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation funds, resident/campus assistantships, etc.


Notify the Financial Aid Office directly of changes which may affect the family’s ability to provide financial assistance to the student. These changes may include but are not limited to loss of employment or benefits, a significant decrease in income, separation or divorce, death or disability, unusual medical expenses, and child care costs.


Financial aid counseling is available from Financial Aid Administrators on an appointment basis. In addition, there is an administrator-on-duty 12-15 hours a week for quick questions. Social Security numbers or ID numbers are needed to make appointments.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a law designed to protect students’ education records. Based on this law, all students have the right to access the information contained in their education records. In order to insure the confidentiality of these records, the Financial Aid Office must obtain written consent from students authorizing employees of the Financial Aid Office to discuss information with parents, legal guardians, and/or spouses. There is an Authorization for Release of Information form available at the Financial Aid Office. It is also included on the Award Letter.

Male students born in 1960 or later must register for the Selective Service prior to being able to receive federal Title IV financial aid. Forms are available from any U.S. Post Office or can be accessed online at www.sss.gov.

All local addresses must be changed on the WINS system or by the Registrar’s Office. All home addresses must be updated by the Registrar’s Office. Billing addresses must be updated by Student Accounts.

Financial aid of any type is required to be used to meet educational expenses of tuition, fees, books, room and board, transportation, and minimal personal expenses.

Students are responsible for repaying their educational loans and should not accept such loans without full realization of that responsibility. Students borrowing through the Federal Stafford Direct Loan program for the first time must complete Entrance Loan Counseling online prior to release of funds.

Students may be ineligible for Title IV aid if convicted of an offense involving possession or sale of illegal drugs. The period of ineligibility is contingent upon the offense committed and if the student is a first-time or repeat offender.

Work-study employment is a privilege, not a right. Any student can and will be terminated for justified reasons.

Students must reapply annually for all types of financial aid.


Financial aid grants may be taxable income. Students receiving grants are advised to retain receipts for fee payments, books, supplies, and equipment that are course-related.



Students must be enrolled at least half-time or have been accepted for such enrollment for any on-campus employment. The most common types of positions available are Federal Work-Study positions and Regular Payroll positions. Students are limited to 30 hours per week during periods of enrollment.

Students on foreign student visas (F-1’s) are eligible for on-campus Regular Student Payroll positions only and are restricted to 20 hours per week during periods of enrollment.

During the summer or other vacation periods when the student does not have classes, he/she may work a maximum of 40 hours per week. In general, the basic pay is slightly above the prevailing minimum wage.


The Federal Work-Study program is a federally funded financial aid program available to citizens or permanent residents of the United States. To be eligible, the student must receive a Federal Work-Study allocation as a part of the financial aid package.

Federal Work-Study employment is on campus (except for America Reads), and work schedules are set around classes. Students are encouraged to participate in the many community-service-related activities available. Typical on-campus jobs include clerical work, assisting in the library, laboratories, or computer labs, tutoring, and child care assistance.

Proceeds from Federal Work-Study employment are paid with funds directly deposited to the student’s savings or checking account and are not automatically subtracted from the student bill.


Each year, hundreds of on-campus part-time jobs are made available by UW-Whitewater. Jobs (similar to Federal Work-Study positions) in university offices, laboratories, or other facilities can be applied for by any student enrolled on at least a half-time basis. These positions are listed on the Student Jobline, on the UW-Whitewater Financial Aid and Student Employment Office homepage.

All on-campus students are paid with funds directly deposited to their savings or checking accounts.


The private company with the contract to provide food services to UW-Whitewater hires approximately 225 students each year to work in the dining halls and for its catering service.


Each year the Financial Aid Office lists many part-time jobs in private homes, businesses, and industries in the Whitewater area. These openings are also listed on the Student Jobline. Students on foreign student visas (F-1’s) are not eligible for off-campus employment without special permission.


A grant is a form of aid which does not have to be repaid.


The Federal Pell Grant Program provides a “foundation” of financial aid to undergraduates to which aid from other federal, state, and private sources may be added. To determine a student’s eligibility for a Federal Pell Grant, the Department of Education uses a standard formula to evaluate the information the student supplies on an aid application. The formula produces an Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which indicates whether or not the student is eligible. This amount is on the Student Aid Report (SAR).


The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is another federally funded grant program. FSEOGs will be awarded first to those undergraduate students with exceptional need, those with the lowest expected family contributions, and Federal Pell Grant recipients.


AOP grants are intended for African American, Latino, American Indian, designated Southeast Asian, and disadvantaged graduate students. Both Wisconsin residents and non-residents are eligible, although preference is given to Wisconsin residents. Full-time and part-time graduate students are eligible.


DVR assistance may be available to students with some type of disability. Vocational Rehabilitation is a division of the Department of Workforce Development. Students should contact their local DVR counselor in addition to filing the FAFSA.


The Indian Student Assistance Program grants are available to Native Americans who demonstrate financial need and are of at least one-fourth Native American lineage. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.


The Admissions Office has a limited amount of funds available to assist continuing students from foreign countries. Applicants must have earned a minimum of 24 undergraduate units or 9 graduate units at UW-Whitewater with a minimum G.P.A. of 2.50 or 3.0 respectively. These awards are made on the basis of need from extenuating circumstances. Recipients must be enrolled full time. Awards are made in the form of a partial waiver of non-resident tuition. Applications are available through the Center for Global Education in Hyland Hall.


Each year the Admissions Office awards scholarships based on academic record and financial need to new freshmen from foreign countries. Not all students who apply for admission receive scholarships. The awards may be renewable for up to four years. Recipients must be enrolled full-time. Awards are made in the form of a partial waiver of non-resident tuition and can vary in dollar value. Contact the Admissions Office, 2060 Roseman Building, (262) 472-1440, or e-mail uwwadmit@uww.edu for more information.


These grants provide funds to undergraduate minority students who are of at least sophomore status. Applicants must be African-American, Latino, Native American or Southeast Asian. Southeast Asian students must be of Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian or Hmong heritage. Students must file a FAFSA so financial need can be determined.

Qualifying minority students must be Wisconsin residents who are enrolled at least half-time and making satisfactory academic progress. Students who demonstrate financial need must have a grade point average of 2.0 or better; students not eligible for financial aid must have a grade point average of 2.4 or better to be considered. Contact the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Support Services, 226 McCutchan Hall, (262) 472-4985, for applications and information.


All undergraduate and graduate students who are bona fide residents of Minnesota may have their non-resident tuition waived upon application to their home state. Contact the Admissions Office for more information.


These grants are available to out-of-state (excluding Minnesota) students enrolled full-time who demonstrate need. Upperclassmen must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or better. These awards cover part of non-resident tuition expenses.


The Talent Incentive Program Grant is administered by the Department of Public Instruction’s Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Program. The purpose of TIP is to provide supplemental grant awards to extremely needy students from disadvantaged backgrounds. TIP awards are designed to reduce the need for self-help aid during the period of greatest academic vulnerability. Contact your local WEOP office at (414) 227-4942.


There are four categories of annual scholarships awarded by the Department of the Army available to students participating in Army ROTC. High school seniors entering a university with Army ROTC may compete with students across the nation for four-year and three-year scholarships under the High School Scholarship Program. Interested students should contact the Department of Leadership, Military Science and Aerospace Studies (262) 472-1541, September 1 through December 15 during their senior year in high school. On-campus, two-year and three-year scholarships are also available to selected students participating in Army ROTC.


Air Force ROTC has several types of scholarship opportunities available for students. High school seniors must apply for the Air Force ROTC College Scholarship Program no later than December 1. If selected, high school seniors are awarded three-year and four-year Air Force ROTC scholarships. For those students already in college, please contact the Department of Leadership, Military Science and Aerospace Studies to find out if you are eligible for a scholarship.


There is a limited amount of funding for study abroad grants. Students must complete a FAFSA and demonstrate financial need. These grants are intended to increase the number of UW System students studying abroad. Grants will be provided for only those experiences that grant credit regardless of program length. A recipient must be an undergraduate Wisconsin resident enrolled in a program leading to a bachelor’s degree with at least sophomore status. Contact the Center for Global Education, Hyland Hall, (262) 472-5759, for applications and information.


These grants provide assistance to Wisconsin residents who are deaf, hard of hearing, or visually impaired. To qualify, such students need to demonstrate financial need. Awards are determined by the Higher Educational Aids Board. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.


The Wisconsin Higher Education Grant is a state-funded grant available to eligible undergraduate Wisconsin residents who demonstrate financial need. Awards are determined by the Higher Educational Aids Board.


A loan is a form of financial assistance which must be repaid and should only be accepted with the full realization of that responsibility.


Federal Perkins Loans are available to undergraduate and graduate students. Awards are determined by the Financial Aid Office based upon financial need and availability of funds. The borrower must sign a master promissory note for the loan, which is interest-free as long as he/she is enrolled at least half-time at any eligible institution. Repayment of the principal plus 5% interest per year begins nine months after the student leaves school or graduates. Repayment is determined by federal regulations.


Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Subsidized)

The Federal Direct Stafford Loan enables undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at least half-time to borrow directly from the federal government. To be eligible, students must demonstrate financial need. The school determines financial need based on the information provided on the FAFSA. The federal government pays the interest on these loans while students are in school and during the six-month grace period after the student graduates or leaves school. The federal government also pays the interest during periods of deferment (a postponement of repayment). Undergraduate freshmen are limited to loans of $3,500; sophomores (24-59.5 credits) are limited to $4,500; junior and senior undergraduates (students with 60 credits or more) are limited to $5,500. Graduate students are eligible to receive up to $8,500 per year. An origination fee is assessed at the time the loan is made. The borrower will receive a disclosure statement from the Direct Loan Servicing Center regarding the amount of his/her loan and the anticipated disbursement date.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Unsubsidized)

To be eligible, the student must complete the FAFSA process. If a small financial need is determined, the student may be offered the subsidized loan in combination with the unsubsidized loan. If no financial need is determined, the student will be offered the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. The student, not the federal government, is obligated to pay all interest even while enrolled, which differs from the subsidized loan. New borrowing limits apply minus any amounts borrowed under the subsidized program. A freshman may borrow a maximum of $5,500 per year in combination of both programs; a sophomore may borrow a maximum of $6,500 per year; a junior/senior may borrow $7,500 per year. Independent undergraduates may be eligible for higher limits. As with the subsidized loan, an origination fee is assessed at the time the loan is made. The borrower will also receive a disclosure statement for this loan.

Federal Direct PLUS Loan

The Federal Direct PLUS Loan enables credit-worthy parents of undergraduate dependent students to borrow. The PLUS Loan may not exceed the student’s estimated cost of attendance minus any estimated financial assistance the student has been or will be awarded during the period of enrollment. This includes the no-need Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Funds are borrowed directly from the federal government. An origination fee is assessed at the time the loan is made. Interest rates will be determined by the federal government. You may contact the Financial Aid Office for the PLUS Loan Request Form or access the form online.


If a financial aid recipient withdraws during a term, the Financial Aid Office must calculate the amount of Title IV aid the student did not earn. Unearned funds must be returned to Title IV Programs.

The basic formula is as follows:

Percent of Enrollment period completed based on withdrawl date x Aid that disbursed or could have disbursed = Earned aid
Aid that disbursed or could have disbursed - Earned aid = Unearned aid

The school must return:

Amount of institutional charges x The percent of aid that was unearned

The student must repay

The amount of unearned Title IV aid to be returned - The amount of unearned Title IV aid due from the school

If the repayment of funds affects grant dollars received, the student’s repayment of these funds will be reduced by 50 percent of the total grant aid.

Students will repay loan funds based on the repayment terms of the promissory note. Repayment of grant funds can be arranged with the school (if paying in full) or with the Department of Education (if a payment schedule needs to be arranged).

If a student withdraws from the first term, but plans to return in Spring term, he/she must submit WRITTEN notification to the Financial Aid Office so that aid may be reinstated and/or revised. If a student fails to notify the Financial Aid Office, the aid will remain cancelled.


The Financial Aid Office must adhere to federal law when determining the return of financial aid to the financial aid programs.

Top of Page