FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
ABOUT ROOM REAPPLICATION
What is Room Reapplication?
Reapplication is a period of time when current residence hall students are given priority to sign up for an available room and hall of their choice for the next academic year. All residents returning to UW-W for the upcoming academic year who wish to reside in on-campus housing must complete reapplication by May 2nd. Contracts received from current residence hall students after 4:00 pm on May 2nd will be processed in the same manner as incoming students.
Is the Room Reapplication process different than in the past?
Yes, the process has changed. The process for Starin Hall, Cambridge Apartments, and Fox Meadows Apartments will be similar to the past year; separate applications are available for Starin Hall and the Off-Campus apartments, in addition to the housing contract. Students are placed in Starin Hall and the Off-Campus apartments based on a points system which takes into account the number of semesters on campus, number of UWW credits earned, etc. Also note there has been the addition of a separate application for students wishing to reside in a triple room in Tutt and Wellers Hall and Goodhue Hall, which both will also follow the same placement procedures as Starin Hall and the Off-Campus Apartments.
- What is NEW this year with the reapplication process?
A number of changes have occurred to meet the needs of current and incoming students.
- Applications will be accepted in the following phases:
- Students wishing to reside in Starin Hall. (Feb 17 – Feb 26)
- Students wishing to reside in the Off-Campus Apartments. (March 3 – March 12)
- Students wishing to reside in a triple room in Tutt or Wellers Hall. (March 31 – April 9)
- Students wishing to reside on Goodhue Hall 4th floor. (March 31 – April 9)
- Students who wish to live in any of the other residence halls. (March 31 – April 25)
- Applications will be accepted in the following phases:
What is a NEW housing option this year?
Inclusive Housing was created in an effort by Residence Life to provide living options to account for all of our residents and their differing needs. The term “inclusive” or “gender neutral housing” refers to rooms where people of any sex or gender can room together, including students of the “opposite” sex and students who don’t identify with any particular gender. Students that desire to be considered for inclusive housing in Starin Hall will be asked to submit an application.
- Who is required to live on campus and go through room reapplication?
The Board of Regents for the University of Wisconsin System has established the following policy: “those freshman and sophomore students who are not veterans, married, or living with parents or legal guardians, shall be required to live in a university-operated residence hall when such accommodations are available.”
- How would I choose who I want to live with?
- Do I automatically get my current room back next year? >No. All returning students that submit 2014-15 housing contracts will need to access the residence hall room selection website to select a room. Please check the 2014-2015 Housing Assignments specialty housing options for further information regarding how residence halls will be set up for the 2014-2015 school year. The Room Selection website will be available to returning students who have a mutually agreed upon roommate situation on April 28 & 29 at 4:00 PM. The Room Selection website will open for students without a mutually agreed upon roommate on April 30th. The site will remain open until May 2nd at 4:00pm. Please note that returning students who submit a contract but do not select a room by May 2nd will be assigned to an available space at the discretion of the Room Assignments Office.
- What do I do if I want to live with a specific student? How do I choose a mutually agreed upon returning student roommate? When you are filling out your application online there will be an opportunity to search and select a roommate.
- Can I live with an incoming student (Freshman, Transfer, etc.)? Yes, the same steps to indicate a mutually agreed upon roommate will need to be followed by indicating each other on your respected contracts, however, the returning student will be contacted separately by the Room Assignments Office as to how to select a room.
- What dates should I be concerned about in regard to Room Reapplication?
- February 17 - Starin Hall Applications will be available online at the Residence Life website. Applications and contracts can be submitted to Goodhue 1st floor desk. The deadline to submit all applicable paperwork is Feb 26th.
- February 26 - Deadline to submit Starin Hall Application with Housing Contract
- February 28 - Starin Hall Selection completed, and students notified via university e-mail.
- March 3 - Off-Campus Apartment Applications available online at the Residence Life website. Applications and contracts can be submitted to Goodhue 1st floor desk. The deadline to submit all applicable paperwork is March 12th.
- March 12 - Deadline to submit Fox Meadows Apartment or Cambridge Apartment applications along with contracts.
- March 14 - Students who are chosen to live in Off-Campus Apartments will be notified via university e-mail.
- March 17-20 - Students granted suites within Starin will select specific suite locations during this week. Students will be notified by their university e-mail account as to what day, time & how they select a suite.
- March 17-20 - Students granted apartments in Cambridge or Fox Meadows will select specific apartment locations during this week. Students will be notified by their university e-mail account as to what day, time & how they will select an apartment.
- March 31 - First day applications and contracts will be accepted for students wishing to reside in a triple room in Tutt or Wellers Hall. The deadline to submit all applicable paperwork is April 9th.
- March 31 - First day applications and contracts will be accepted for students wishing to reside FALL SEMESTER ONLY in Goodhue Hall. The deadline to submit all applicable paperwork is April 9th.
- March 31 - First day contracts for any residence halls excluding Starin Hall and the Off-Campus Apartments are accepted at the Goodhue 1st floor desk. The deadline to submit all applicable paperwork is April 14.
- April 9 - Deadline to submit applications and contracts to live in a triple room in Tutt or Wellers Hall.
- April 9 - Deadline to submit applications and contracts for FALL SEMESTER ONLY to live in Goodhue Hall.
- April 11 - Students who were selected for a Tutt or Wellers Hall triple will be notified via university e-mail.
- April 11 - Students who were selected to live on 4th Floor Goodhue will be notified via university e-mail.
- April 14 - Deadline to submit contract to have access on the first day of eligibility to the Residence hall room selection website.
- April 30-May 9 - Residence Hall room selection website will be accessible for students who have submitted a contract by April 25th, AND DO NOT have a mutually agreed upon roommate already selected. Access will begin at 4:00 PM.
- May 9 - All room assignments become final as the Room Selection website will be shut down at 4:00PM.
- What is the difference between the April 35 deadline and the May 9 deadline?
April 25 is the deadline for contracts to be received at Residence Life in order for a student to have access to the residence hall room selection website for selecting a room on the first day of eligibility. Contracts will still be accepted after April 25.
May 9 is the last day students will have access to the residence hall room selection website. At 4:00 p.m. on May 9 the website will be shut down and all assignments will be final.
How do I apply for a single room?
Single rooms will only be available to students with a documented medical need at this time. Students that believe that they have a medical need should contact the Center for Students with Disabilities for more information on how to provide the sufficient documentation. Students that have approved documentation will be contacted separately about room selection.
What if I am interested in living in a lounge for the 2014-2015 academic year?
It is the intention of the university to not use lounges for student housing for the 2014-15 academic year. Therefore returning students will not be able to apply for a lounge assignment.
What if I apply for Starin Hall (or Fox Meadows/Cambridge Apartments/Tutt or Wellers Hall Triple) and do not receive an assignment in these buildings?
The room reapplication process this year is done in phases to accommodate students who may not get into their first choice of housing. We would encourage all students who may not receive their first choice to apply for the next phase of housing. Students who do not apply to any other phase will be able to select a residence hall room during the open access period April 28-May 2 on the residence hall room selection website.
What if I will only need housing for the Fall 2014 Semester?
If a student only wishes to reside in the residence halls for the Fall 2014 semester, they should apply to live in Goodhue Hall. This floor is only open for students residing on campus for the fall. Keep in mind, this only applies to students who are eligible to leave at the end of the semester, such as students who are interning/student teaching/graduating and the like. If you are unsure if you qualify for this housing option, please inquire at Room Assignments on the 2nd Floor of Goodhue Hall.
12) When do I need to pay the $125 Deposit?
If the student is currently residing in the residence halls – they do NOT need to submit another deposit. The deposit that the student submitted last academic year will carry over to the new year.
13) Is the $125 deposit refundable?
Students should read sections #12 and #13 of the housing contract carefully and understand the difference between a contract release and an exemption request. Contract item #13 refers to the deposit refund and forfeiture. It is important to understand that all cancellations must be submitted in writing or utilizing the "Student Portal" request application found through the Residence Life website. Written requests should be made directly to Residence Life, 200 Goodhue Hall, Whitewater, WI 53190. All cancellations should include the student name, student ID number, student signature, and reason for cancellation.