Division of Student Affairs Mission Statement
Maximizing student success, including academic, personal and professional development is the primary goal of the Division of Student Affairs at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. In collaboration with students, faculty, staff and others, the Division of Student Affairs promotes student success by creating and enriching the learning environment.
Faculty/Staff In Service Presentations
Members of the Student Life Dean's Council are available to coordinate presentations for faculty and staff on a variety of topics to include:
- Personal safety on campus
- Academic Misconduct
- Disruptive / dangerous student behavior
- Techniques for dealing with stressed or angry persons
- FERPA - Student Records & Privacy
- What you need to know about providing academic accommodations
- Promoting academic integrity
- Understanding today's college student
- Overcoming loss
Student Life Dean's Council
UW-Whitewater offers a wide range of services designed to promote student development and college success. Despite the availability of these services, students still find themselves at risk, experiencing situations without an awareness and/or utilization of the support services available to them.
One of the many ways the University intentionally and systematically assists students is through the regular meetings of the Student Life Dean's Council.
The purpose of the Student Life Dean's Council is to:
- Meet weekly to review critical incidents and develop strategies for intervention to assist students in crises
- Develop protocols for handling specific incidents
- Identify proactive strategies for handling student issues
- Discuss campus trends that may impact student safety, services, programs and general campus life and make recommendations as appropriate.
The Student Life Dean's Council meets regularly and places a high priority on balancing a student's right to privacy with the University's duty to respond appropriately to a student experiencing difficulty or expressing at-risk behaviors.
The Student Life Dean's Council is facilitated by the Dean of Student Life and is comprised of:
- Assistant Dean of Student Life and University Student Conduct Officer.
- Associate Director of Residence Life
- Associate Director of University Health and Counseling Services
- Director of Athletics
- Director of University Police Services
How the campus community can help students
Faculty and staff are encouraged to contact any member of the Student Life Dean's Council to share information if a member of the faculty or staff feels outreach or follow-up may be of assistance to a student.
If a situation requires immediate intervention due to safety reasons, University Police should be contacted at 911.
For more information about the Student Life Dean's Council, contact the Dean of Student Life at extension 1533.