Health Information A-Z


UHCS Portal: make appointments, view messages, check billing


Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:00 - 4:30
Phone: 262-472-1300

For health care questions, do not email. Please call the number above, menu option 1.

U Lifeline

Working for Whitewater's Wellness

International Student Wellness


You may choose to receive your physical and mental health care at UHCS while you are a student at UW-Whitewater. We can provide you with a variety of services and information about health and wellness. If you feel sick, are injured, need a check-up, or would like to speak with a counselor you may call us (262.472.1300) or schedule an appointment. Visit our health services and counseling services web sites to learn more about what we have to offer.

Remember, we are not an emergency facility. If you have an emergency, please call 911.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is University Health and Counseling Services (UHCS)?

UHCS provides UW-Whitewater students with convenient, cost-effective physical and mental health care. We provide a variety of services such as evaluation of cold and flu symptoms, sexually related concerns, assessment of injuries, birth control and health concerns as well as general information about staying healthy. Visit our health services and counseling services web sites to learn more about what we have to offer.

What services do you offer?

Many international students first come to UHCS for tuberculosis testing. We coordinate with the Center for Global Education to help with this testing requirement. Please remember that we can offer you many services in addition to tuberculosis testing.

Can I see a dentist or an eye doctor at UHCS?

There are no dentists or eye doctors at UHCS. The staff can refer you to local dentists or eye doctors if needed.

I really miss my family, friends, and way of life back home. Is that normal?

We know transitioning to life in the United States can be difficult, and UHCS is committed to helping you with any health concerns. Our health care practitioners (doctors and nurse practitioners) can help you with physical health issues, and our counselors can discuss mental health concerns with you including loneliness, homesickness, depression, and feeling overwhelmed by all the differences you are dealing with.

What if I’m nervous about Western medicine?

We recognize and respect that there are different models of healthcare throughout the world. We’ll work with you to find ways to address your physical and mental health care needs – ways that you feel comfortable with.

What about U.S. health insurance? It seems so complicated…

In addition to providing high-quality physical and mental health care, we also can help you to navigate the very complex U.S. health insurance system.

Does it cost to visit UHCS?

You will pay only for sports physicals, lab tests, supplies, some procedures and medications. We try to keep our costs low and there is no cost for you to meet with one of our staff members.

How do I contact UHCS or make an appointment?

If you feel sick, are injured, need a check-up, or would like to just speak with a mental health counselor please call us at 262.472.1300 or schedule an appointment.

Where is UHCS?

UHCS in the Ambrose Health Center (intersection of Starin Road and Prairie Street – by the Bookstore).

What should I do in an emergency.

UHCS is not an emergency facility (link to that webpage). If you have an emergency, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency facility. Mercy Clinic Urgent Care is open 5-9 PM M-F and Sat 9 AM to 2 PM. It is located at 507 West Main St in Whitewater. The Hospital Emergency Room at Fort Health Care is open 24 hours and is at 611 Sherman Ave E, in Fort Atkinson.

Where can I find more information?

International Student website provides great information about health for international students and health insurance.

Updated 09/13/12