- Individual counseling
- Group Counseling
- Couples counseling
- Consultations with Staff
- Referrals to Community Agencies and UNET
- Crisis Intervention
- Practicum Training Site
There are NO fees for any counseling services.
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 am - 4:30 pm
Call 472-1305 for a Counseling or Employee Assistance Program appointment.
In the case of a mental health emergency when the counseling service is closed, call:
- 1-800-365-1587 for the 24 hour Crisis line
- 1-800-273-TALK(8255) for the National Suicide Prevention lifeline
- For emotional support, advocacy, or information following a sexual assault, call 262-472-1060 for the Sexual Assault Crisis Line
Scope of Services
We provide for our students:
- Individual, group, and couples counseling focusing on stress management, anxiety, depression, goal setting, peer pressure, grief and loss, roommate conflicts, relationships with friends and family, dating, body image issues, and problems associated with alcohol or other drugs
- emergency services. Same-day appointments are available for students undergoing crises calling for immediate attention (e.g. suicidal thoughts, physical or sexual assault, alcohol or other drug use, other crisis situations)
- Educational, skill building, or therapeutic group experiences for areas like assertiveness training, study skills, communication skills, time management, adult children of alcoholics, physical/ sexual assault, grief and loss).
- Mental health consultation/outreach to students, faculty, and staff
- Presentations on a variety of mental-health-related topics
- The UHCS website links students to services, information, or self-assessment tools covering over 15 areas of interest to college students: alcohol use, anorexia/bulimia, depression, anxiety, womens health, mens health, mental health, sexual assault, spirituality, smoking, exercise, mental health, weight control, contraception.
When a student arrives for counseling, an initial assessment is conducted by a counselor to determine the needs of the individual and make a recommendation for group, individual, couples, or counseling workshop. For most students, counseling is completed through UW-W Counseling Services. For those with needs that cannot be met within the resources available on campus, we help the individual find suitable services within the community.
In order to make on-campus counseling available to the greatest possible number of students, individual and couples counseling is limited to 14 sessions per calendar year. There is no session limit for persons participating in groups.
This site is not meant to replace the advice of a health care or counseling professional. You should not rely on any information on these pages, or information generated for you by this site, to replace consultations with qualified professionals regarding your own specific situation. Some links take you to a source outside of UHCS. The owners of that site, not UHCS, are responsible for the content.
Last Updated: 10/11/13