University of Wisconsin-Whitewater

October 8, 2004

To comply with current federal regulations, the Financial Aid Office at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater will monitor the progress of students toward degree completion requirements.In order to receive and continue to receive financial aid, students must comply with the following three components of satisfactory progress:

·Minimum grade point average,

·Minimum credits completed, and

·Maximum time frame (credit attempts)

Students who fail to complete their degree requirements within the prescribed length of time, fail to maintain the required cumulative grade point average, and/or do not pass the minimum number of credits will not be eligible for federal, state, or university grant funds.

The progress or lack of progress of our students will be monitored at the end of each spring semester and summer term (if the student attends summer).Academic Dismissal and Maximum Time Frame Standards (180 undergraduate credit attempts) will be monitored at the end of each semester.All credits will count in the evaluation regardless of where or when they were earned, including credits earned during semesters or summers when no financial aid was received.

Standard for Grade Point Average

All undergraduate students (including transfer students) are required to have a cumulative 2.0 grade point average by the end of their second academic year. Special students (students seeking a second degree) are required to maintain a cumulative 2.0 grade point average at all times, and graduate students are required to maintain a cumulative 3.0 grade point average and/or be in good standing in their program.

Standard for Minimum Credits Completed

All undergraduate and graduate students must successfully complete 67% of attempted credit hours per year.For example, if a student was enrolled for 12 credits fall semester, 15 credits spring semester, and 6 credits during the summer, the student would need to successfully complete 22 credits.Failing a class or receiving an incomplete in a class is not considered successfully completing the class.

The successful completion of a credit attempted is credit for which a grade of A, B, C, D, or S is received.A grade of F, W, U, I, NC, or N represents unsatisfactory completion of a course.A grade of D for a graduate student is not considered as successful completion of the credit(s) attempted.

Determination of a student’s enrolled (attempted) credits will be made on the 10th day of each semester.

Standard for Maximum Time Frame

The total maximum time frame for undergraduate students receiving financial aid cannot exceed 150% of the published length of the program.For example, a program requiring 120 credits for graduation would allow 180 credit attempts (120 x 150% = 180).When enrolled in degree programs that have a published minimum credit requirement for graduation of greater than 120 credits, financial aid eligibility may be extended.The 150% rule does not apply to graduate students.

The maximum time frame for undergraduate students seeking a second degree (special students) is 90 credits.

Transfer Students

Transfer credits from other institutions will be added to UW-Whitewater credit attempts to determine the total number of credit attempts (180 maximum) for an undergraduate student.


Any student who has been placed on academic probation will be placed on SAP probation as well.Any student who does not meet the standard for minimum credits completed at the end of the spring semester (or summer) will be placed on SAP probation.Students attending the summer term will be re-evaluated at the end of summer.The student will be notified prior to the beginning of the next fall semester of his/her status.

Any student on SAP probation will have one year to improve his/her deficiency.A student may continue to receive financial aid while on probation.The student will need to successfully complete 67% of all attempted credits for that year and meet the minimum cumulative GPA standards while on probation in order to return to good standing status.

Ineligible for Financial Aid

Any undergraduate student that does not have a cumulative 2.0 grade point average by the end of his/her second academic year is ineligible for financial aid until such time as a 2.0 is attained.Any graduate student that does not maintain a cumulative 3.0 grade point average is ineligible for financial aid until such time as a 3.0 is attained.

A student on SAP probation who does not meet good standing status by the end of the next evaluation period will be ineligible for financial aid.

A student who is academically dismissed and not reinstated will automatically be ineligible for future financial aid until such time that he/she is reinstated to the university, appeals the SAP ineligibility, and has the appeal approved.

Once a student has become “ineligible” for financial aid, he/she will not automatically become “eligible” or in “good standing.”The student would first be placed on “probation” again but eligible for financial aid.If the student then meets all requirements at the end of the next evaluation period while on “probation,” he/she would then become “eligible.”

Reinstatement of Financial Aid Eligibility

A student ineligible for financial aid due to SAP policy (except the 150% rule) will need to do the following to regain eligibility:Complete at least one semester without financial aid; achieve at least the minimum cumulative grade point average (2.0 or 3.0); and, successfully complete 67% of attempted credit hours for the semester.

Appeal Procedure

If a student believes that his/her satisfactory progress as determined by the Financial Aid Office is incorrect, it is the student’s responsibility to contact the Financial Aid Office and provide documentation of changes in information to the transcript (i.e., grade changes, completion of incomplete classes, etc.).

Students may appeal their ineligibility due to circumstances beyond their control, i.e., death of a family member, student illness/hospitalization.

A written letter of appeal may be submitted to the Financial Aid Office for review.Appeals should explain in detail the reason(s) for not meeting the standards for academic progress.Appeals must be submitted and approved prior to the end of the semester for which the student is appealing to receive financial aid.A sub-committee of the Academic Standards Committee will hear SAP appeals.Members of the Appeals Committee for Satisfactory Academic Progress include a representative from the Provost’s office, a faculty member, and the director of financial aid or her designee.

The committee may approve a plan designed by the Academic Advising & Exploration Center staff to return the student to good standing status that differs from the above prescribed terms and conditions.

Consortium Agreement Credits:Credits taken at other institutions while on consortium agreement at theUniversity of Wisconsin-Whitewaterwill be considered as transfer credits in the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Withdrawals:Withdrawals, either from a course or from the University, will have the credits counted as attempted credits if the student was enrolled on the 10th day of the term.

Repeated Courses:Repeated courses will count in the calculation of credits attempted.The initial enrollment of the course will count once and any repeat will count once.

Incomplete Courses:Incomplete course work will not be considered as being successfully completed.An incomplete grade will count as credits attempted and credits not earned until the UW-Whitewater Registrars Office records a passing grade.A student who wants his/her completed grade considered sooner than the next review is required to notify the Financial Aid Office of the new grade.

Remedial Courses:Remedial courses are allowed and will be funded;this includes classes in English as a Second Language.These courses will be subject to review under all aspects of the Satisfactory Progress Policy.

Audited Courses:Audited courses are not taken for credit and are not funded by financial aid.Therefore, audited courses are not considered in this policy.

Academically Eligible Students/Ineligible for Financial Aid:Students who are ineligible due to any of the above-mentioned reasons will be ineligible for federal and state financial aid, however, may still enroll if not academically dismissed by the University at his/her own expense.

Study Abroad:Grades for credits attempted in study abroad programs are often delayed in being reported to the Registrars Office.These credits are considered as credits attempted, not earned until the Registrars Office posts the passing grades.Once the grades are posted, it will be the student’s responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office.

Web Development Team-UW Whitewater
For comments:
Last Web revision on October 20, 2004 by Rebecca Reichert