Human Resources & Diversity Employment Opportunities »

A Student Guide to Solving Problems

Problem: Looking for a Solution

Informal Process (35 days)

  1. Within 14 days of occurrence of a problem, discuss it with the person who has caused the problem.
  2. If unable to do that, or if unsatisfied with the discussion, within 7 days, discuss it with the teachers department Chair or other persons supervisor.
  3. Chair or Supervisor will try to resolve informally within 14 days.

Formal Process (56 days to closure)

  1. If unsatisfied with result of informal process, within 7 days write the formal complaint with facts and recommended action and send to Dean or Director.
  2. Director or Dean will try to finally resolve or provide written recommendation and reasons within 14 days.

Problem: Why This Low Grade

Informal Process (21 days)

  1. Within 7 days of receiving grade, or of first day of next grading period, talk to the instructor.
  2. If unsatisfied, within 7 days talk to Department Chair.
  3. Within 7 days, Chair will try to resolve.

Formal Process (70 days to closure)

  1. If unsatisfied, within 7 days, submit a written appeal to the Department Grade Appeal committee, through the Chair.
  2. Within 14 days, Committee will render written decision.
  3. If unsatisfied, within 7 days send the written appeal to the Dean.
  4. Within 14 days, the Dean will render the final decision.
  5. The Provost can be appealed to, within 7 days after Deans decision if (1) all relevant information was not considered by faculty, or (2) if material error prejudiced the decision, or (3) if prohibited discrimination appeared to occur on the basis of gender, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation or other categories stated under Wisc. Stat.36.12.

Problem: You Think You've Been Discriminated Against

Informal Process

  1. Within 300 days from occurrence of event(s) in question, discuss with the Equal Opportunity Officer. (472-4672)
  2. After reviewing the facts provided and obtaining any others informally, the EO Officer will discuss possible resolutions with complainant, and if agreed to, will advise Chancellor of same and see they are carried out.

Formal Process (can be 380 days to closure)

  1. A written complaint is filed with the Equal Opportunity Officer.
  2. A formal investigation is carried out within 30 days, resulting in finding of facts and recommendations to the Chancellor.
  3. If either party is unsatisfied with the findings or recommendations, within 10 days, a written appeal must be made to the Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs.
  4. Within 20 days, the Assistant Chancellor will try to resolve or will make written recommendations to the Chancellor.
  5. Within 20 days, the Chancellor will make the final decision. For the full text of these procedures see the University Handbook; Grievances Sec. IV-D pp 1-2; Grade Appeals, Sec. IV-D pp 3-4; Discrimination Sec. IV-K, pp 1-3 Sexual Harassment Sec. VI-U.

Problem: You're Afraid it is Sexual Harassment

Is another student hitting on you and won t take no for an answer? Has a teacher hinted that a date would help your grade? Will an employee not stop making remarks about your body, or cracking dirty jokes?

Informal Process

Within 300 days, contact a Department Chair, a Resident Assistant, the Dean of Students (1051), the Sexual harassment Officer (4672): all have training in identifying harassment, all are obligated to assist you or will contact the Sexual Harassment Officer for advice. Sexual harassment is considered sex discrimination.

Informal discussion will help clarify whether it is sexual harassment. If it isn t strategies can be discussed to help the individual prevent the behavior. If it is, the Officer can have an informal discussion with the harasser about the behavior, without identifications, request it stop, informal record.

Formal Process

  1. A written complaint is filed with the Sexual Harassment Officer; with the complainant identifying her/himself.
  2. An investigation is commenced.
  3. If it is harassment, appropriate actions will be recommended to the Chancellor; formal records are kept, Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs reviews and recommends, Chancellor decides.
  4. If it isn't, it still may be behavior that merits discipline.