Human Resources & Diversity Employment Opportunities »

Student Right to be Free from Harrassment

  1. All Sexual Harassment is Sex Discrimination.
  2. Sex Discrimination is prohibited, by law, under Titles VII and IX of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Wisconsin Fair Employment Act and by Wisconsin State Statute 36.12 (Student Discrimination Prohibited).
  3. How Can You Tell Sexual Harassment from Simply Obnoxious Behavior?
    1. unwelcome sexual advances; unwelcome requests for sexual favors; unwelcome verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature;
    2. deliberate, repeated making of unsolicited gestures or comments of a sexual nature;
    3. repeated display of offensive sexually graphic materials not necessary for work or education purposes;
    4. deliberate verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature, whether or not repeated, sufficiently severe to interfere substantially with another's work or education or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive environment.
  4. There are Two Categories of Sexual Harassment Which Are Defined by Law:
    1. QUID PRO QUO HARASSMENT: (this for that) implied or explicit request for sexual favors in exchange for a benefit (e.g. a promotion, a raise, a better grade);
    2. HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT HARASSMENT: harassment that has the effect of interfering with another person's work or academic performance or creates an "intimidating, hostile or offensive" environment.
  5. What Can You do if it Happens to You? Act on Your Own Behalf!
    1. Object to the behavior when it happens, or even later, if you didn't realize it was harassment when it first happened. Help shape your own environment!
    2. Talk to a Resident Assistant, a sympathetic teacher, or the Dean of Students to explore the situation and discuss strategies and options.
    3. If it is repeated behavior and is making you highly uncomfortable, remember, you have as much right to be here and not be interfered with as any other student or faculty, so act on your own behalf: address the issue with the offender, or lodge a verbal complaint, or file a written complaint.