Disposal of University Property

SOURCE: Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administrative Affairs

The Director of Procurement Services shall coordinate all property disposal activities on campus as the official Property Control Officer for UW-Whitewater. All such surplus property disposition shall be in accordance with regulations found in the "State Procurement Manual" section "PRO-F3, 4, & 5" as published by the Wisconsin Department of Administration.

All departments, offices and individuals contemplating the disposition of surplus University property--whether it be by transfer to another state agency without cost, selling to another agency or the general public, trade-in on the purchase of new equipment, or destroying--shall first notify the UW-Whitewater property management unit. Before any disposition, written permission must be obtained from the State Property Control Manger. The campus manager will process the necessary forms and make the reports as required by the "Administrative Practices Manual."

Whenever a department is replacing a piece of equipment with a similar piece of new equipment, the used or obsolete surplus piece may become a part of the purchase transaction. Such trade-ins shall be properly identified on the Purchase Requisition and Purchase Order so that the campus property manager will be able to complete the required paperwork.

Unit supervisors are encouraged to make periodic inspections within his/her unit to prevent the unnecessary build-up of idle or obsolete property. The campus property manager should be notified regarding all supplies, equipment, and materials which are no longer needed. After the Surplus Property unit has made all attempts to redistribute surplus items on campus, within the University System and to all State Agencies, they will then be offered to the general public through a competitive disposal process (sale, auction, etc.). The final option for disposal of unwanted materials is the sale to scrap dealer(s) in bulk lots, but only after several attempts have been made to recover above scrap values.

The campus Property Control Officer is responsible for all arrangements for the disposal of property on campus through transfer, sale, and/or destruction. Multiple avenues are available for the recovery of some compensation for surplus/idle materials. These options as well as the restrictions are outlined below:

  1. For those units/departments wishing to retain ownership and full negotiating authority to secure some internal compensation (exchange for goods or funds from another department, campus, or state entity), they should not send the goods to the Surplus. Property unit but rather retain the items until removed by the buying entity. However, prior approval for the disposition must still be obtained from the campus Property Control Officer. Methods used by the Surplus Property unit to advertise merchandise will be made available, but the storage of these goods remains the responsibility of the owner (department).
  2. Proceeds from the sale of declared surplus merchandise handled by the campus Surplus Property unit are split 50/50 between the Surplus Property operation and the original owner (department) after all extraneous disposal costs have been deducted. This split arrangement is not applicable when items are sold in bulk lots with low dollar value making the split cumbersome to track.

  3. Right of negotiations for best deal and actual disposal method passes to the Surplus Property management when goods are in the possession of the Surplus Property unit.

  4. Transfer of state owned merchandise to individuals without charge is prohibited without the explicit approval of the Property Control Officer.

  5. The sale of surplus merchandise to any outside entity must be approved by the campus Property Control Officer.