Camps and Conferences PAY BALANCE DUE

Summer Camps Frequently Asked Questions




How soon do I need to register for a camp?

Different camps have different deadlines, depending on the camp date. Early registration is appreciated and ensures availability of space and timeliness of information.  Online registration closes at least 3 days prior to the start of the event and will be noted on event website.  Check event website to see if walk-up registrations are accepted and review requirements if you missed the registration deadline and would like to attend.  Roommate requests after this deadline can be reviewed with the camp/residence staff after check in.

Is the non-refundable camp deposit a part of the camp fee?

Yes. Whatever amount is paid as a deposit is deducted from the total camp fee.

If I pay only the deposit now, when is the balance due?

The camp balance is due 21 days prior to the start of camp. MasterCard and Visa are accepted via  secure online payment system only.  Cash and checks made out to UW-Whitewater can be delivered to Continuing Education Services, 800 W. Main Street, Roseman 2005, Whitewater WI 53190.

Do I need to provide a copy of my physical examination or immunizations?

No, each registrant will only need to complete the health questions in their online registration.  Those bringing medication to an overnight camp will need to fill out a medication form that will be available in the pre-camp information provided on the website of the event, three weeks prior to its start.

When will I get specific camp information and schedules?

Precamp information will be available on the event camp website three weeks prior to the camp start date.  Precamp information will be listed under "Before You Arrive" section of each event website. 

I received a camp award from UW-Whitewater last year, how do I register?

Registrants who received an award from camp last year will receive a certificate with a promo code listed at camp or in the mail shortly after camp.  Register for the event online and type the promo code you received in the payments section before entering your credit card. Questions?  Please call Continuing Education Services at  262-472-3165 or email

I will be receiving a scholarship/money as a gift or award, how do I register?

Organizations providing a sponsorship will fill out a sponsor request online at  Continuing Education Services will review the application and provide a promo code to the organization to give to the registrant to use at check out.

Your account will show a balance due until the full payment is received. Any remaining balance remains the participant’s responsibility. Any cancellations will result in the sponsorship funds being returned to the supporting organization.  Promo codes not applied after payment in full.





Meals: Can we bring snacks?

Meals are included in most summer events' fee, but snacks are permitted between meals. Residence Halls and campus buildings have vending machines. The University Bookstore has convenience items. Registrants will have three well-balanced meals each full day.  Most meals are provided in the dining halls.  Some events cater in meals and serve in Starin Park.  Special dietary needs will be met and must be included in attendee registration to be accommodated. Location of meals will be included in schedule of the pre-camp information.  Registrants may bring their own snacks. 

Can we bring coolers? Is there a place to purchase ice?

Yes, coolers are permitted. Ice is available for purchase at the dining halls for those bringing a cooler.  No refrigerator will be provided or accessible, except in Starin Hall.  

How much spending money should we bring?

Room and board costs are included in the camp fees. Various summer camps sell athletic apparel or other merchandise, offer trips to the University Bookstore and allow nightly pizza deliveries. If registrants wish to participate in these activities, additional funds are needed.  Please review the pre-camp information packet for additional details regarding your specific camp.

Taking Medication during Camp?

Due to state regulations, we are required to collect all reported medications. Medications will be collected by our athletic trainers at camp check-in and returned at check-out. Please remember to properly label and pack your child's medication. All medication, including vitamins, supplements and over the counter medication, should be in their original containers. If using an EPI pen or inhaler, we recommend bringing two to camp - one to keep on your child's person and another with the athletic trainers. If only one is available, it will be kept with your child unless otherwise requested. If medications are not picked up at check out, medications will be mailed to the address provided in at registration.




Where is the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater campus located?

UW-Whitewater's address is, 800 W. Main Street, Whitewater, WI 53190. A good directional map can be found online here:  Maps/Direction

Where is UW-Whitewater at Rock County campus located?

UW-Whitewater at Rock County address is, 2909 Kellogg Ave, Janesville, WI 53546. A good directional map can be found online here:  Maps/Direction

When do I find out check-in and check-out times?

This information will be available on each event-specific website, three weeks prior to the camp start date.

What do I do and where do I go if I can't check in during the designated check-in time?

Registrants who cannot meet the time frame of regular check-in must notify the camp office in advance at Late arrivals should report to the designated check in place where there will be written notification of where to report. This procedure varies from event to event, but instructions for individual events are posted at the original check-in site.



Housing and Being on Campus

Are the residence halls or gymnasiums air conditioned?

No (with the exception of Starin Hall and “new residence hall”).  Campers are advised to bring fans.  Note: The gymnasiums are also not air-conditioned.  Greenhill Center of the Arts, Moraine Bookstore, Upham Hall, University Center and dining halls are air-conditioned.  During periods of heat, directors will provide a cool area for registrants and take all the necessary precautions to avoid heat fatigue.  This may include cancelling awards ceremonies in the gymnasium.

How many people can sleep in the same room?

Camp health and safety regulations allow for only two persons per room, each in a single bed.  Starin Hall will allow four. Every effort will be made to ensure each registrant has a roommate.  We cannot guarantee each event will have an even number of registrants.

How do I get assigned a roommate?

Most camps provide space on the application for you to list a roommate preference. Roommate requests are honored when possible, unless multiple persons request the same roommate. In that case, campers are placed next door to each other or across the hall from each other. Roommate requests can be changed until 4 days prior to the start of the event.  Roommate requests after this deadline can be reviewed with the camp/residence staff after check in.  If no roommate request is made, campers are assigned to an age and gender-appropriate roommate. Every effort is made to ensure that campers are not housed alone. However, "no-shows" and uneven numbers do occur from time to time.  Requests for single rooms will not be honored.

Are we allowed in residence halls other than the one assigned to our camp?

No. Entering a residence hall other than the one assigned to your camp is grounds for non-refundable dismissal from the camp.

How can I be reached by my guardian?

Cell phones are recommended.  Each event will provide a staff number where parents may call and leave messages for campers during the camp session. This phone number will be available in the Info Packet. Messages will be checked regularly. You may also call 262-472-3165 Continuing Education Services, Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm.




How are the camps supervised?

Campers are supervised by adult camp staff, most of whom also reside in the residence halls. A camper/staff ratio of 10:1 is mandatory.

Do camp staff go through background checks?

Yes. All of our UW-Whitewater employees and camp staff have undergone a background check before being hired.

Do the campers have "free" time and what do they do during their free time?

Most camps have organized activities during non-instructional periods. Free time is supervised by camp staff members. Commuters are welcome to join the group in the residence halls

Who do I contact when doors are locked?

Each residence hall will be locked after hours of instruction.  Those registrants who become locked out will need to call the director of the event.  Their number is listed in the pre-camp information.  There are also numerous emergency phones with a blue light around campus in public locations.  Registrants are encouraged to pick up the phone and ask for help.  Campus security will assist.  To guarantee not being locked out, registrants should not leave the building unsupervised.

Are campers allowed off campus?

No. Campers are not allowed off campus except under the supervision and permission of a camp staff member. Any request to leave campus must be in writing from the camper's parent and given approval by the camp director.  If your camp has a sponsored off-campus activity, a permission slip will be included in the pre-camp information packet. Permission slips will be collected at camp check-in. Registrants will not be allowed to participate in off-campus activities without a signed permission slip on file. 

Are guardians allowed to observe camp activities?

Guardians are always welcome to watch their child participate in camp activities on a camp by camp basis.  Introduce yourself to camp staff, provide proof of identification and let them know who your child is.  The camp director will verify guardianship with emergency contact number provided.  For security reasons only guardians are allowed to be in facilities not announced as a public performance.

What if someone wants to send me something in the mail while attending an overnight event?

Mail should be sent to participants in care of University of Wisconsin Whitewater. The mailing address is:

Event Name
Registrants Name
800 W Main Street
Roseman 2005
Whitewater, WI 53190

Please understand that mail delivery to participants will take at least 2 extra days, as the mail must travel from the US Postal Service to the UW-Whitewater Mail Center to the Continuing Education office and then to the participant. Also, UW-Whitewater mail does not deliver on Saturdays. Any mail received after participant leaves will be mailed to address provided in the registration.

What if my guardian need to contact me?

Cell phones are recommended.  Each event will provide a staff number where parents may call and leave messages for campers during the camp session. This phone number will be available in the Info Packet. Messages will be checked regularly. You may also call 262-472-3165 Continuing Education Services, Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:30pm.

What if I need medical attention?

Parents will be called for advice and recommendations if the problem does not require immediate medical attention. Should your child require medical attention, the camp health supervisor will assess appropriate measures to take. UW-Whitewater camps have the full cooperation of Janesville Mercy Hospital and emergency room personnel. For participants taking medication, please complete the health form prior to arrival. When possible, the Athletic Trainers and health staff will contact parent(s)/guardian(s) before seeking treatment.

You will be required to provide health information in the registration. Athletic Trainers and health staff will refer to the registration whenever medical treatment is necessary; this is the only guide a health care provider will have in case of an emergency.

Back to top