College of Letters & Sciences
Advising Banner

Academic Planning

For more information on placement testing centers, contact the testing ofice.

Testing Office: Roseman 2054, Tel: 262-472-5613,

Testing Requirements: If students have not met testing or course requirements, they should not enroll for English or math courses.

New Freshmen:

English: ACT sub-scores in English will be used for placement in English courses.  If students have submitted more than one set of scores, placement will be based on the highest sub-score among all scores received.
Math: Beginning Fall 2015, the University of Wisconsin Math Placement Test will be used for placement into math classes. For complete information, refer to the math department website:
Foreign Language: Students of French, German or Spanish with no previous university level foreign language course work, who wish to continue with a language studied in high school, must take the appropriate UW System Foreign Language Placement Test.

Appeals for placement should be directed to the Math and Languages and Literatures department.

Transfer Students:

Transfer students are not required to submit ACT scores; their placement into math and English is based on one of the following:
                  Primary: Coursework from a transfer institution
                  Secondary: ACT or UW Placement Tests

International students should take the UW Math Placement test. They are not required to take English placement tests. If English is not their first language, they should enroll in English 161 for International Students, a course which will fulfill their English 101 requirement (followed by English 162.)
Out of State students  may be allowed to submit SAT scores.
Non-Traditional Age Students: Students 25 or older who do not have ACT scores or transfer courses should contact the testing office to schedule the ACT or the UW Placement tests.
Re-entry Students may have old test formats that need to be interpreted. They should contact the math and English departments for correct placement.

Math Scores: UW-Math Placement Test

MSBC ALG TRG Mathematics Course Options
150-465 150-359 150-850 Take MAth 041*
396-850 150-850 Take Math 140** or 141
466-850 150-525 150-585 Take Math 140** or 141
150-525 585-850 Waived from the University Math Proficiency Req
526-850 150-850 Waived form the University Math Proficiency Req
556-850 506-850 Also waived from Math 152

* Note: students can seek additional instruction by contacting the Math department to enroll in a supplemental course, Math 049

** Math 140 should only be taken by students who are absolutely certain that they will not be taking higher
math, or any courses requiring Math 141 in their curriculum

English Placement

ACT English SubscoreUW-Whitewater Placement

English 16 and lower (SAT 200-420) (EPT 450 or lower)

Take English 090

English 17-29   (SAT 430-670) (EPT 451-636)

Take English 101 (161 for international students)

English 30 and higher  (SAT 680 +) (EPT 637+)

Waived from English 101. Take English 102 or 105*

English 24 and higher and Honors Eligibility

May take English 105.*

*English 105 is an Honors course that will cover both English 101 and 102.


Students of French, German or Spanish with no previous university level foreign language course work, who wish to continue with a language studied in high school, must take the appropriate Foreign Language Placement Exam.  Exam scores indicate appropriate course placement.  Native speakers should speak with the Foreign Language Coordinator instead of taking this exam.  Students who wish to take a different course than their placement indicates should speak with the Foreign Language Coordinator, Dr. Peter Hoff.

If students have not taken the language tests as part of the regional placement testing program, it is highly recommended that they do so in their freshman year by contacting the testing center.

Scores Used For Placement In Foreign Language Courses



Beginning French

French 141


Beginning French

French 142


Intermediate French

French 251


Intermediate French

French 252

726 and Above

Advanced French Language Study

French 321



Beginning German

German 141


Beginning German

German 142


Intermediate German

German 251


Intermediate German

German 252

564 and Above

Advanced German Language Study

German 321



Beginning Spanish

Spanish 141


Beginning Spanish

Spanish 142


Intermediate Spanish

Spanish 251


Intermediate Spanish

Spanish 252

601 and Above

Advanced Spanish Language Study


Retroactive Credits in Foreign Language

To earn retroactive credits, students must earn a grade of B or better in a language course numbered 142 or above. They are then eligible for the retro credits for the courses below the course completed.  (For example, a student who completes Spanish 251 with an A is eligible to earn 4 credits for Spanish 141 and 4 credits for Spanish 142, earning 8 retro credits.) The course that is completed will count for Gen Ed humanities.  The retro credits are used for credits to graduation and will not count in Gen Ed.  Retro credits may, however, count in some college requirements, majors or minors.

Only UW-System courses are eligible for retroactive credits. For courses taken at a non-UW System institution,only retroactive credits that are posted on an official transcript will transfer as credit at UWW.

Students who earn credit through AP exam, must complete a subsequent course at UWW (with a B or better) to be awarded retroactive credits.

Students who are eligible for retroactive credits should fill out the request form at

BACHELOR OF ARTS (B.A.) Degree Requirements


  • 300/400 Breadth: 6 credits at the 300 or 400 level courses from arts humanities, and social sciences fields that are not from the area of your major or minor.
  • Courses are accepted from the following departments: Anthropology, Art History, Art Studio, Asian Studies, Communication, Dance, Economics, English, Film, Foreign Language, Geography (non-science), History, Music, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Race and Ethnic Studies, Religious Studies, Sociology, Theatre, Women's Studies, or any 400 level travel study course. (Courses are not accepted from Journalism, Business, Coaching, Education, Leadership, Physical Education, Recreation, Criminology, Safety, Social Work, Math, or Sciences.)
300/400 LEVEL COURSES MUST BE PERSONALIZED on the AR.  To personalize these courses, students can submit a form available at the L&S forms page by clicking here.
**For information, contact the L&S graduation examiner, Deb Klocek (, 262-472-1620.


Demonstrate foreign language proficiency through examination or complete coursework at the second semester or higher

BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (B.S.) Degree Requirements

(These requirements are for all BS degrees in Letters and Sciences except Public Policy and Administration. )


  • This lab science course must be from a different academic area than the lab science used for the University Requirements.


Select 5 units of math beyond 141 or 6 units chosen from 2 of the following 3 options:

  •  3 units of math beyond 141 (excluding Math 230 and 231)
  •  3 units of statistics chosen from Biology 303, Math 230, Math 231, Psychology 215, Sociology 295 or Economics 245
  •  3 units of computer science

All students must complete 120 credits to graduate. In many majors, students might complete all course requirements, and still need credits to meet the 120 required. This flexibility allows L&S students to pursue travel study, double majors or to take courses for professional growth or for enjoyment.

The Academic Advising Report (AAR) is divided into two sections, a transcript of all courses taken and an Advisement Report that applies courses to requirements. To track your 120 credits, do not use the cumulative credits at the end of the transcript. Instead, use the requirement which appears at the beginning of the Advisement Report section.

I. A minimum of 120 units...

This number excludes any developmental coursework and will include courses that you have registered for (if the AAR is recent enough to list those courses)

Two semesters (9 months) before you plan to graduate:

  • Apply for graduation approximately nine months before your intended date of graduation.
  • Schedule a graduation review with your advisor to review the Graduation Checklist and your AAR. If anything is still bolded on your AAR, be sure you understand how to complete any remaining requirements. Remember, ultimately, you have the responsibility to meet all requirements.

NOTE: If you are repeating a course in your last two semesters, identify that course to your advisor. Some repeated courses may be counted twice on the AAR until later in the semester. This can affect your credit totals.

  • Follow-up on any courses substitutions or other changes to the AAR that have been approved by your Department. Check your AAR online and work with your department office.
  • Make sure that your address information is correct so that you will receive all important information from the graduation examiners. Read your mail and university email. Respond immediately to any requests for information.

Contact Deb Klocek, Laurentide 4108 ( with questions regarding graduation.

BSE students in secondary education should clear their university requirements and major requirements with their faculty advisor in L&S, but the degree clearance and ultimate graduation approval are done by the College of Education.

Enrollment deposits may be requested upon graduation from Student Financial Services. The form may be downloaded from their Financial Services website. Forms will be reviewed to make sure students qualify for a refund four to six weeks after the end of the semester. Students must keep their addresses current.

Graduating seniors who have demonstrated scholastic achievement as defined below by the cumulative UW-W GPA only (excluding transfer grades) may receive one of the following three categories of graduation honors:

  • Summa Cum Laude 3.85 and above
  • Magna Cum Laude 3.60 to 3.84
  • Cum Laude 3.40 to 3.59

For honors to be acknowledged in the commencement program, students must attain the minimum required UW-W cumulative grade point average before entering their final term and have earned 48 units (counting the final term of enrollment) at UW-Whitewater. Honors maintained and/or earned through the final grading period will be noted on the academic record and on the diploma. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the 48-unit minimum and the GPA requirements are satisfied.

Students may earn graduation honors in a second degree if one of the following two requirements is satisfied:

  1. Completing a minimum of 48 units at UW-W with a UW-W cumulative grade point average that meets the requirements as defined for graduation honors above; or
  2. Earning a second degree by completing less than 48 units at UW-W, but having earned the first degree at UW-W; students may qualify for graduation honors if both the grade point average of the second degree itself and the grade point average of the first and second UWW degrees combined meet the graduation honors requirement.

The Academic Advising Report (AAR) is used to help track your progress in your declared academic program by matching your coursework to requirements. Because it does not monitor every university policy, the AAR is a tool that must be used along with the University Catalog, Schedule of Classes, and advisor recommendations as you plan for graduation.

The AAR has two sections: an unofficial transcript of coursework, followed by an analysis of your degree progress. In general, it will unbold requirements as they are completed.

Please note the following areas:

120 Credits Earned for Graduation
DO NOT rely on the credits earned that are listed on the unofficial transcript section. This section can include credits that do not count for your degree.

To monitor this requirement, use the 120 CREDIT requirement in the beginning of the degree progress section for an accurate count. This number will exclude remedial work and include your courses in progress. Thus it will count your credits as if you had successfully completed the courses you are enrolled in.

Often there will be a section of the AAR that states, “personalization required,” or indicates that the courses for that requirement must be selected “in consultation with your advisor.” In these requirements, you must take action to have the Dept. or College office put those courses in that section.

The record sheet at the end of this Guide will allow you to keep notes on the Personalizations that have been approved.

Unique Requirements
These are requirements that are needed for a major or minor, but are not actually courses counted in the major or minor. They are often pre-requisite courses, or courses which fulfill Writing or Computer Literacy Requirements.

Using a Course to Fulfill More Than One Requirement
In some cases one course may fulfill two or more requirements (although you only earn the actual credit one time). A common example is Diversity. If you take a course for diversity that is also designated as GenEd, it may also be used in the GenEd and major/minor requirements if appropriate.

Courses may not be shared between major(s) and minor(s).

  • Students must take required courses in their major and their minor on a conventional grade basis. The same course units may not be counted in both the major(s) and the minor(s). In those cases in which the same courses are required in more than one major and/or minor, departments will determine appropriate additional courses to meet the minimum unit requirements for each. The minimum unit requirements must be met for each major and each minor.

Other Guidleines

  • Courses may be shared between Major/Minor and GenEd if they meet the rules for GenEd (exceptions: Public Policy and Administration and Liberal Studies)
  • Courses may not be shared between BA 300/400 level coursework and the discipline of the first major and first minor. (For interdisciplinary minors, this would be the discipline of the home dept.)
    • Note: Courses from a second minor may be shared with the BA 300/400 level coursework.
  • Courses may not be shared between the BA 300/400 level coursework and GenEd.

Questions? Contact the L&S Advising Office or the L&S Assistant Dean's Office