College of Letters & Sciences
Advising Banner

Understanding the Academic Advising Report

The Academic Advising Report (AAR) is used to help track your progress in your declared academic program by matching your coursework to requirements. Because it does not monitor every university policy, the AAR is a tool that must be used along with the University Catalog, Schedule of Classes, and advisor recommendations as you plan for graduation.

The AAR has two sections: an unofficial transcript of coursework, followed by an analysis of your degree progress. In general, it will unbold requirements as they are completed.

Please note the following areas:

120 Credits Earned for Graduation
DO NOT rely on the credits earned that are listed on the unofficial transcript section. This section can include credits that do not count for your degree.

To monitor this requirement, use the 120 CREDIT requirement in the beginning of the degree progress section for an accurate count. This number will exclude remedial work and include your courses in progress. Thus it will count your credits as if you had successfully completed the courses you are enrolled in.

Often there will be a section of the AAR that states, “personalization required,” or indicates that the courses for that requirement must be selected “in consultation with your advisor.” In these requirements, you must take action to have the Dept. or College office put those courses in that section.

The record sheet at the end of this Guide will allow you to keep notes on the Personalizations that have been approved.

Unique Requirements
These are requirements that are needed for a major or minor, but are not actually courses counted in the major or minor. They are often pre-requisite courses, or courses which fulfill Writing or Computer Literacy Requirements.

Using a Course to Fulfill More Than One Requirement
In some cases one course may fulfill two or more requirements (although you only earn the actual credit one time). A common example is Diversity. If you take a course for diversity that is also designated as GenEd, it may also be used in the GenEd and major/minor requirements if appropriate.

Courses may not be shared between major(s) and minor(s).

  • Students must take required courses in their major and their minor on a conventional grade basis. The same course units may not be counted in both the major(s) and the minor(s). In those cases in which the same courses are required in more than one major and/or minor, departments will determine appropriate additional courses to meet the minimum unit requirements for each. The minimum unit requirements must be met for each major and each minor.

Other Guidelines

  • Courses may be shared between Major/Minor and GenEd if they meet the rules for GenEd (exceptions: Public Policy and Administration and Liberal Studies)
  • Courses may not be shared between BA 300/400 level coursework and the discipline of the first major and first minor. (For interdisciplinary minors, this would be the discipline of the home dept.)
    • Note: Courses from a second minor may be shared with the BA 300/400 level coursework.
  • Courses may not be shared between the BA 300/400 level coursework and GenEd.

Questions? Contact the L&S Advising Office or the L&S Assistant Dean's Office