Summer Research Opportunities
Stipend: sti•pend |sti pend| (noun) a fixed regular sum paid as a salary or allowance.
i.e. Most REU programs PAY YOU to go. Many also provide free housing, and some even provide free food and travel. All this and you get to do research at some of the leading universities. Pretty sweet deal.
Research Experience for Undergraduates
|National Science Foundation (NSF) Research Experience for Undergrads (REU)
||Numerous programs all around the country and world to study physics and engineering. Prof. Benjamin started one of these programs at UW-Madison in Astrophysics. Typical stipends are $3600-$5000 for ten weeks, travel and lodging paid separately. http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm
||Numerous summer programs at NASA centers around the country. http://www.uwgb.edu/wsgc
|Department of Energy (DOE) Summer programs (DUE starting FEB 1)
||Various locations: includes programs for teachers! http://science.energy.gov/wdts/suli
|Argonne National Lab Summer programs (DUE starting FEB 1)
||Argonne is located outside of Chicago; if you've taken Prof. Sahyun's Intermediate Lab, and liked the SRC part, you should really think about applying! http://www.dep.anl.gov/p_undergrad/
|UW-Madison REU in Nanotechnology (DUE FEB 1)
More REU Programs:
- Brigham Young University $5000 stipend, travel, room, and board.
- Seyfert Prize Fellowship for Undergraduate Research in Astronomy at Case Western Reserve University
- Center for Compact and Efficient Fluid Power (CCEFP)
- CTIO Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory La Serena, Chile January - March
- Kitt Peak National Observatory REU $8000 stipend
- Lehigh University Physics REU $5800 stipend; 10 week program.
- Medical College of Wisconsin Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research
- Montana State University REU - Condensed Matter and LASER Physics $6400 stipend, travel, food, lodging; 10 week program.
- National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network REU $4000 stipend, travel and housing; 10 week program.
- New York University Study Abroad Program
- Southern Illinois University Carbondale Interdisciplinary Materials Research, $4500 stipend.
- University of Chicago Physics REU $5000 stipend and housing; 10 week program.
- University of Florida Physics REU $5000 stipend, travel, housing. Materials Physics in Condensed Matter and Related Fields and Computer Modeling and Simulation
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign REU
- University of Idaho $5000 stipend and housing; 9 week program.
- UNLV REU AMO, Condensed matter, High pressure, and Astrophysics.
- University of Notre Dame REU $5000 stipend, housing, travel; 10 weeks.
- University of Oklahoma
- Washington State University REU $5000 stipend and housing.
- Yale CRISP REU Materials Science, $4000 stipend.
Other lists of Physics REU programs: AAS American Astronomical Society REU List
NSF REU List This is the primary source list to see.
Other Physics Summer Job Sites