MSW Admission Requirements
- Transcript demonstrating Bachelor's degree from a 4-year college or university accredited by a recognized regional accrediting association
- Minimum GPA of 2.75 on 4.0 scale (you may apply if your GPA is less than 2.75, but you would be placed on probation status if admitted)
- For advanced standing students, a grade of B or better is required in all core social work courses
- Intro to statistics course: 200-level or higher, with a grade of C or better (this prerequisite may be taken at UWW the summer before the fall your MSW program begins)
- Personal statement and resume
- Background check will be completed prior to your field placement, but is not part of the application process
- 3 letters of reference
- At least one from an academic instructor if you graduated in the last 2 years, after that it can be an additional professional reference
- Only one may be a personal reference
- One professional reference (field, volunteering, and/or work)
Preferred Additional Requirements
- 1000 service hours (paid or volunteer)
- Commitment to social justice, advocacy, and multicultural practice on behalf of vulnerable and oppressed populations
How to Apply
- The priority deadline for summer/fall 2021 admission is December 1, 2020 and the final deadline to apply is January 15, 2021.
- You may apply online through the Graduate Studies Department.
- You will also need to complete the online application for the UW-Whitewater Social Work Department.
- References should complete this online reference form, which is also where they upload their letters of recommendation.
- We will admit MSW students for summer/fall semesters only, not spring semesters.
- Prerequisite courses, such as statistics, may be taken at UWW the summer before your fall admission to the MSW program.
- More information about the application process is available from the School of Graduate Studies; please see their Admission Information and FAQ pages.
- The GRE test is NOT required to be considered for admittance to the MSW program.