Respondus LockDown Browser works much like a standard browser, but some options have been removed or work differently. The list below highlights some of these differences.
- Modified Toolbar - the condensed toolbar includes only Forward, Back, Refresh and Stop functions.
- Assessment Mode - assessments are shown full-screen and cannot be minimized, resized, or exited until submitted for grading.
- Disabled Controls - all printing, keystroke combinations, screen grab, function keys, and right-click menus have been disabled.
- Links - links to other web servers do not compromise the secure testing environment.
- Blocked Features & Applications - the Start button (Windows), system tray, and menu bars have been removed. Hundreds of screen capture, messaging, screen-sharing and network monitoring applications are blocked.
Preparing a Quiz for LockDown Browser
In D2L, you must follow these steps to enable the "Require Respondus LockDown Browser" setting for the quiz:
- Log in to D2L as an instructor.
- Select "Quizzes".
- Identify the quiz and select the link to edit the settings.
- Select the "Restrictions" tab.
- Under the "Security Options" section select the checkbox that requires the Respondus LockDown Browser for the quiz.
- Optionally you can restrict viewing the quiz feedback and results with the LockDown Browser.
- Click "Save Quiz".
- Inform your students that your quiz requires the use of the LDB browser. Give them the Students Quick Start Guide as reference.
Taking a Quiz with the LockDown Browser
The LDB browser is already installed on the computers in all General Access Labs on campus, including the McGraw Hall General Access Lab and the Andersen General Access Lab. However, the LDB can also be downloaded and used on personal computers.
Ask your students to follow the instructions in the LDB Student Guide to take the quiz in the LDB environment. They will not be able to take the quiz in a regular browser once the quiz is set to use LDB.
You can revert the LDB requirement at any time. If you do revert the requirement, you should notify your students so that they are aware of the change, especially if the quiz has already been active.
Other Training and Support
- Student Quick Start Guide - in addition to the guide provided on this site, a student quick start guide is available from Respondus
- Demo Movies - view demonstration and training movies.
- Knowledge Base - find common solutions and at the respondus support site
- If you have problems setting up a quiz for use with Respondus LockDown Browser, contact D2L Support.
For more information, go to the lockdown browser site.